The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wishing you all a Happy and Peaceful Holiday Season

Share | 

Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:25 pm

A friend just gave me this recipie last month and I've already made it 3 times!
Redworker's recipe brought over

Crockpot Roast

roast (any kind)
dry mixes: brown gravy
                Zesty Italian Dressing
                Hidden Valley Ranch (1/2 pkg)
1/2 cup water

Rinse roast and put in crockpot. Mix dry mixes and shake over roast. Add water. Cook on low for 7-10 hours.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Paw's Pepsi Pot Roast   Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:26 pm

PEPSI POT ROAST

3-4 lb. pot roast
10 3/4 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
12 oz. can of Pepsi (NOT diet)

--Place meat in slow cooker (no need to brown roast)
--Top with soup and onion soup mix and pour Pepsi around meat
--Cover. Cook on high for 6 hours. (I usually cook on low most of day)

If you "thicken" juice a bit--it makes great gravey.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Crock Pot Recipes   Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:30 pm

Anita's

Chicken-Fried Chops

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. ground mustard
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
6 pork loin chops (3/4 in thick), trimmed
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1/3 cup of water

In a shallow bowl, combine flour, salt, mustard and garlic powder; dredge pork chops. In a skillet, brown the chops on both sides in oil. Place in a slow cooker. Combine soup and water; pour over chops. Cover and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours or until meat is tender. If desired, thicken pan juices and serve with the pork chops.Yield : 6 servings
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:31 pm

LEM's Crock Pot Chicken
Quarter several potatoes and put in bottom of crock pot.
Chunk carrots and onions and put in bottom of crock pot.
- you can add other veggies if you want, this is just what I use.

For the chicken we usually use either a cut up whole chicken or several pre-trimmed and cleaned chicken breasts and thighs.
Season chicken with Montreal Chicken Seasoning or Lowry's Chicken Seasoning on all sides.

Put chicken in crock pot on top of veggies.
Take one can of cream of chicken soup (condensed kind), and spread over the top of the chicken -- DO NOT ADD WATER.

It looks a little weird in the crock pot, but when it's done after cooking all day, it's delish! My family loves it and when out of town visitors come over, it's always a sure crowd pleaser.

Hope you like it.
LEM.
Back to top Go down
InsufferableBratt

Number of posts : 2655
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:18 pm

Here's what I made the other night.

COLA ROAST

3 lb. pot roast
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
2 cans of cola (NOT diet) I used Pepsi

--Place roast in slow cooker. Sprinkle with soup mix. Pour soda over all.
--Cover. Cook on low 7-8 hours.

OK, Bratt here. Since it's just me, I buy the smallest possible roast our grocery store sells (usually just over 2 lbs.) I found out the hard way the first time I made the previous recipe for Pepsi pot roast that

6 hours on high
most of the day on low.
and start it at 10:30 on a Sunday and expect it to be done around 5-6 after being on low all day are NOT the same thing. That's how I screwed it up the first time.

Therefore, I stuck with the 6 hours on high rule for this one and it worked fine.

I liked this version better because I don't like mushrooms and you can actually taste the Pepsi in the gravy. I haven't mastered thickening the gravy yet, so I really can't say if you can do that very easily.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:26 pm

BreezePines Scalloped Potatoes
a quick reciepe for scalloped potatoes in the slow cooker is to layer potato slices, onion slices and ham all in the crock pot and then just pour a 1/2 cup milk over and then two cans of campbells cream of cheese soup and let it cook all day the potatoes don't get mushy,, ummmmm bonnie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Casseroles   Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:28 pm

Golo's Yellow Squash Casserole

4 c sliced yellow squash 3/4 c milk
1/2 c chopped onion 1/4 c butter, melted
35 buttery round crackers crushed 1 tsp salt
1 c shredded cheddar cheese ground black pepper to taste
2 eggs beaten 2 T butter

Microwave squash and onions till tender...just a minute or two... drain liquid.. In a medium bowl mix together cracker crumbs and cheese . Stir half of the cracker mixture into the cooked squash and onions. In a small bowl, mix together eggs and milk, then add to squash mixutre. Stir in 1/4 c melted butter and season with salt and pepper. Spread into a 9 x 13 pan Sprinkle with remaining cracker mixture and dot with 2 T butter. Bake at 400 degrees F (or 200 degrees C ) for 25 minutes or until lightly browned...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:28 pm

Golo's Kidney Bean Casserole

1 lb hamburger
1 sm onion (chopped)
pepper and salt to taste
Brown these incredients
Add 1 can tomato soup and 1 can water
combine above incedients with
1/2 c white rice
1 can kidney beans
1 1/2 c small cubed cold boiled potatoes (already cooked)

BAke 350 degrees for 1/2 hour or until rice is done
Back to top Go down
Amandajayne

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: AJ's SLOW COOKER LASAGNA.   Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:20 pm

You have to break up the lasagne sheets so it doesn't look as perfect as lasagne baked in an oven. It comes out more like Italian restaurants where they've baked it slow for hours.

Only brown off the meat and onion then add the sauce and tomatoes and don't worry about cooking it any longer than that before putting it in the slow cooker.

About 400g-500g mince (1lb ground beef)
1 large onion
1 clove garlic crushed
1 jar of pasta sauce
1 tin chopped tomatoes (400g tin)
sprinkle of Italian herbs (masterfoods or whatever)
fresh basil

mozzarella and tasty cheese I also use the Dolmio pasta bake bechamel lasagne sauce (quick and easy and i don't have to worry about making white sauce)

Cook the mince, onion and garlic until the mince is cooked. Add the tomatoes, pasta sauce and herbs.

Layer into crockpot with dried lasagne sheets and top with sauce and cheese

Cook for about 7-8 hrs on low
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:25 pm

I like the idea of a crock pot (slow cooker) lasagna.The jar of pasta sauce..is that a white sauce? I think the closest to that we have here is called Alfredo sauce. AND..you really don't need more water or liquid for the lasagna noodles to go soft and not get too pasty? Need. More. Input! LOL
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13244
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:28 pm

sounds delcious... a must try...

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts : 9699

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:39 pm

This sounds easier than the traditional of making it. Helen, we need a bit of trans- oceanic translation please.

(Amandajayne, we use Helen to convert Aussie ingredients into American/Canadian ingredients so we can try new stuff.)

thanks for sharing this. Lasagne sounds good. Haven't made it in a while.

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:43 pm

I just love good recipes that I can start in the morning when I'm full of energy and the food is ready later when I've done too much and I'm too tired to feel like cooking. I think I like everything that's Italian? This sounds like such a good one to try.
Back to top Go down
MurrayTart

Number of posts : 1370
Location : Murray River NSW in Oz, hey, 101 ways to cook Squash!
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:49 am

AJ Thud - Could we please have your recipe for slow cooker corned beef. My Drt. made a version once & said she thinks she cooked it too long.

Thanks ~mt~
Back to top Go down
Amandajayne

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:22 am

Pasta sause Finisher is a tomato/basil/redwine whatever you like to use.

So glad to see you here MT here you go

All you do is put your silverside in the slow cooker pour you ginger beer over till its completely covering the silverside and then cook on low for about 6-8 hours
I always cook my corned beef in the slow cooker but instead of water and cloves I use ginger beer and just quarter an onion.
It has a beautiful taste. :)
Back to top Go down
Amandajayne

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:23 am

Grandma's Creamy Rice

1/2 cup short grain rice
2&1/2 cups milk
1 cup water
2 Tabs sugar
1 Tab butter
Nutmeg to taste (just a little bit)

Chuck it all in and give it a stir. Cook on high 2&1/2 - 3 hours stirring during last hour. Can thin with more milk if desired.

The kids love this one warm as a winter dessert. Also good cold with fruit etc
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:59 am

Murry Tart...corned beef in a crock pot. I have mixed views on. It is easy to overcook. I used to make them frequently when I worked and depending on the size it often became overcooked, sometimes they came out brilliantly. The cabbage, potatoes and carrots would always bee too salty and too overcooked.
But if you need to make it in the croc I would suggest doing it on a day when your length of time away would be limited to maybe five hours, just have to stick it with a fork and maybe take out the veggies earlier. Now i do mine on the stove top and put the veggies in later.
Back to top Go down
tlcquiltnut

Number of posts : 1078

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:37 am

OOOOHHH YEEAAAHH, love that rice. I stayed a lot with a lady and she made that, I just love it..
Here is what my mom used to make for use kids....
1 1/2 -2 cups left over rice.
2 c. milk scalded
1-2 eggs
1/2 c sugar (to taste)
cinnamon and nutmeg
vanilla, to taste.
Mix and put in a cassarole dish and bake until knife comes out clean. This is oh so good. DH loves it too. Good for breakfast too.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 20329

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:10 pm

Dolmio pasta bake bechamel lasagne sauce = a white sauce like an alfredo. You can make your own white sauce too, I do and add garlic salt to it which is nice
Back to top Go down
tlcquiltnut

Number of posts : 1078

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:57 am

Definitely going to try this crock pot lazana maybe tomorrow....
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:34 pm

A virtual plethora of crock pot recipes

http://www.50plusfriends.com/cookbook/crockpot/index-5b.html
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts : 9699

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:28 pm

Thank you Chris/ I have become very interested in my crock pot recently.

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:18 am

Thanks Chris! I just got my crock pot last Winter and haven't used it much. I need to get in the habit of using it more.
Back to top Go down
Krafty Lady

Number of posts : 12825

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:24 pm

Thanks Chris, I love my crock pot, used it a lot when I worked 12 hours and the kids were home. it is sure a life saver!! Thanks again. I've saved this for future reference. lovehearts Norma

The hurrier I go the behinder I get!
http://s632.photobucket.com/albums/uu46/suziq-41/
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 20329

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:11 pm

Hungarian Goulash (american style Im told!)

1lb/450g stewing beef cut into 1" (2.5cm cubes)
1 medium onion - chopped
2 cloves garlic - chopped
2 tblsp oil
6 tsp paprika/smokey paprika
1 tsp salt
70z/200g can diced tomatoes
2-4 potatoes cut into chunks
1-2 cups of chicken/beef stock

Cut beef into 1"(2.5cm) cubes Chop onion and garlic - sautee onion and garlic then add beef and brown it. Put this into slow cooker and add all other ingredients, the amount stock will vary depending on your slow cooker, add enough to just cover meat. Mix well and set to cook, stir from time to time.

I served mine with green beans and german cabbage noodles (recipe in pasta section too) oh and I added herb dumplings to the goulash about 45mins prior to serving, they were delicous

German Cabbage & Noodles

1 medium or 1/2 large head of cabbage - chop coarsley
1 large onion chopped coarsley
3 rashers of bacon chopped coarsley
S&P to taste
8oz/250g flat egg noodles (fettucini noodles)

Select a med sized saucepan, saute onion and bacon, add the cabbage and season to taste, cover and cook until cabbage is soft stirring occasionally. Add the noodles to boiling water and cook until done, drain well. Pour the cabbage mix over the noodles and mix well, serve with lots of freshly ground black pepper.

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Today at 11:16 am

Back to top Go down

Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next