The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wishing you all a Happy and Peaceful Holiday Season

Share | 

Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Mouse

Number of posts : 1051
Registration date : 2008-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Mon May 25, 2009 4:18 am

Chicken Casserole.

1 whole chicken, or chicken pieces about 1 1/5 to 2kgs.
4 cups chicken stock
2 teaspoons curry powder
knob of butter
4 onions
4 apples
vegies to suit - about 600grams to 1kg
2 pkts cream of chicken soup
2 pkts cream of mushroom soup
600ml bottle thickened cream.

Cook chicken in water and keep stock (liquid), remove chicken and put on plate in fridge to cool (cat's won't get it on the bench then).

In a big pot put butter and curry powder, add onions then apples. Put 3 cups of stock in pot and simmer til onions and apples are cooked.

Pull all chicken meat off bones. Add chicken meat to stock. Add vegetables and simmer til all warmed through.

In a bowl mix all 4 packets of soup, 1 cup of stock and bottle of cream. Add to pot with chicken and vegies, bring to the boil then simmer for a couple of minutes.

Serve with mashed potatoes or on a bed of rice.
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

Number of posts : 4205
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Crock pot eggs and potatoes?   Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:57 am

We're staying at a big cabin this weekend with a number of DH's family. DH and I are in charge of Sunday brunch. We don't know what will be available to cook with. We're thinking of taking our crockpot. There are recipes out there for crock pot brunch dishes - -

but I'd like to know if any of you have a tried and true recipe??
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 20332
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:03 pm

QBee I havent done brunch in mine, mainly do dinners and some preserves. Are you looking for hearty recipes or lighter ones? What time will they eat?

Number of posts : 4269

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:48 pm

Oh I have a winning recipe for you....let me go dig it up. Its not a crock pot recipe but just as easy.
I have made this...it is wonderful and very easy. You could even make the custard at home in advance of getting to the cabin, the bread should soak overnight in the custard.

Baked French Toast Casserole with Maple Syrup by Paula Deene

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/baked-french-toast-casserole-with-maple-syrup-recipe2/index.html

This is a make the night before wake up and throw in oven recipe. It puffs up beautifully so dont over fill. You could make this in those disposable foil pans (grease real well).
If you make the praline the night before make sure its sealed well so the brown sugar doesn't cake.
When we do our big family get togethers I always cook my sausage & bacon at home and freeze, then just take out what I need for that morning and zap it in the microwave.
I would serve this with a big ol bowl of fresh summer fruit salad or melon.
A real colorful and impressive meal.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:50 pm

Ok now Im really hungry CC, your food sounds yummy. Paula Deene, I know the name, is she a big cook book writer? Sounds familiar.

Number of posts : 9701

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:08 pm

She has cookbooks, is on the food channel, and owns a restuarant with her sons. She is real southern. Bob would probably love her cooking. LOL

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13244

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:25 pm

Paula only uses BUTTER.. all her recipes have got to be good.. yum yum...

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:38 pm

DUH doh Im having a blonde moment, of course I know the name, have eaten at her resteraunt "lady and sons' its in savannah where I lived doh and I have the
Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook sitting on the shelf behind me doh Thud doh Im having one of those days Cheesy

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:40 pm

doh final DUH for you to laugh at me, the recipe book is even signed by her lmao I lost my brains, somwhere, I forgot where..............................................................

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:37 am

Yep....paula's thing is "butter" and really...if i'm serving guests I only use the real thing. Ordinarly I use a butter olive oil mix. I'm trying to stay away from engineered foods.
Paula Deen's persona seems to have gone into overdrive as her fame has skyrocketed. I can barley stand to see her on tv as her cackle.....disturbing.
But...this is a darn good recipe...very pretty casserole.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:09 pm

I had no idea she had become so big, I bet her ego has become huge, its amazing how much the media 'merchandises' people now, you get sick of them real quick. I will have to tell Dh she has become a big deal, he will think thats pretty funny. There is another resteraunt in savannah called Elizabeth on 37th, their food is much better and yummier LOL I have their cookbook permanently on the stand and use it all the time, think I have used paula deens once or twice!

I call engineered foods 'man made' I do however use butter, grew up with it, dont like margarine (its a black liquid like tar at the start of production :affraid: ) bob likes an olive oil spread so I buy that. When I cook as in sautee I use a mix of olive oil and a dob of butter, gives you a version of ghee almost.

Number of posts : 6797
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Crock Pot Spinach Lasagne   Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:05 pm

This is a crock pot version of a recipe I have used...my DIL found it. Made it yesterday and it was YUMMY and VERY VERY easy. Turned out great....and you don't have to cook the noodles first.....and you use regular ones!!!!

Spinach and Ricotta Lasagne for the Crock Pot chef2

2 10 oz. packages of chopped frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed to remove excess moisture
1 cup ricotta (I used lofat)
3/4 cup grated Parmesan (6 oz.)
3 cups marinara sauce (one big jar)
6-8 regular lasagne noodles (NOT no boil)
1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella (6 oz.)
1 small can mushrooms, drained, if desired

In a bowl, mix together the spinach, ricotta, and 1/2 cup of the parmesan.
In a second bowl, mix together the marinara sauce and 1/2 cup water.
Spread 3/4 cup marinara mixture in the bottom of a 4-6 quart slow cooker.
Top with 2-4 noodles....what ever fits your crock. Break noodles to fit as needed.
Add 3/4 cup marinara mixture, half the spinach mixture, 1/2 the mushrooms, and 1/2 cup of the mozarella.
Top with remaining noodles, marinara mixture, spinach mixture, mushrooms, mozarella, and Parmesan.

Cover and cook on low until the noodles are tender, 3 1/2 - 4 hours.
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:04 am

I'm going to pass this along to my BIL, he never ever cooked and now wth my sisters passing he has decided he can cook as long as its in the crock pot.
I'm not a fan of soft cheeses so its lost on me....looks easy though!

Back to top Go down
hummerlou

Number of posts : 3937

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:47 am

mmmm, that sounds wonderful!!!
Back to top Go down
texasmusicmom

PostSubject: Almond Sponge (cake) with Rhubarb made in Crock Pot   Wed May 25, 2011 9:08 pm

Here's a recipie for Almond Sponge with rhubarb. Mamu was talking about all her rhubarb...I can't get it fresh in Houston very often...can't grow it here. I use frozen, as DH loves desserts made from it. Found this one...it was originally British, but had US equivalents. Never have made a cake in the crock pot before, but it worked well!

Almond Sponge (cake) with Rhubarb

1 lb (500 g) frozen sliced rhubarb, thawed
1/4 cup (4 oz./125 g) superfine (caster) sugar (that's regular sugar to USA)
1/2 cup (4 oz/125 g) butter
1/2 cup (3.5oz/100 g) brown sugar
1 tsp. Almond extract (essence)
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cups (6.5 oz/220 g) self rising flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 cup (1.5 oz/45 g) almond meal (ground almond) * I just put almonds in a small food processer and chopped very fine)
Heavy (double) cream or prepared custard for serving *I used whipped topping. Vanilla ice cream would be good too.

Lightly grease the inside of a slow cooker. Cut a sheet of parchment (baking) paper to fit inside, butter one side of it and set aside *I used wax paper....all I had....worked fine. Spread the rhubarb evenly over the bottom of the slow cooker and sprinkle with the sugar.

In a medium bowl, use an electric mixer at medium speed to cream together the butter, brown sugar, and almond extract 2-3 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each.

In another bowl, sift together flour and baking powder. Gently fold the flour mixture and almond meal into the butter mixture. Spoon evenly over the rhubarb and smooth the surface with a rubber spatula. Lightly place the buttered paper, buttered side down, on top of the batter.

Cover and cook on the High setting for 3-4 hours, until the sponge (cake) is firm. Remove the paper. Serve warm, topped with custard, cream, ice cream or whipped topping.
Back to top Go down
hummerlou

Number of posts : 3937

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Wed May 25, 2011 10:07 pm

Sounds wonderful!
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Wed May 25, 2011 10:28 pm

looks really good.. will have to get some self rising flour...

Golo

Back to top Go down
texasmusicmom

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Thu May 26, 2011 4:29 pm

you can make your own self rising flour.......
Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
Directions
1.Stir or sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Presto, you've got self-rising flour!
Back to top Go down
Luvsquilting

Number of posts : 2736
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Sat May 28, 2011 10:41 am

Did you use a round crock pot or an oval one? How big was the crock pot? I love rhubarb desserts.
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Sat May 28, 2011 10:17 pm

thanks for that self rising recipe.... I never have self rising flour on hand...

Golo

Back to top Go down
texasmusicmom

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Sun May 29, 2011 2:42 pm

I actually used a smaller square one. I have a huge newer oval one and a really old one that was a corning ware one.....has one of the big square corningware casseroles as the "crock" part...removeable..I love it. Have had it FOREVER and it still works like a champ. I would think a round or oval would work just as well.....not a huge one....a small or med. size.
Back to top Go down
Luvsquilting

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Sun May 29, 2011 5:00 pm

I only have the big one. Actually I have 2 of the big ones. I had a smaller oval one, but I dropped it the last time I took something to a pot luck. I loved that one. It was red...my favorite color.
Back to top Go down
Luvsquilting

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Sun May 29, 2011 5:01 pm

Okay, another stupid question. Do you spoon out the servings or turn it out of the crock pot like an upside down cake?
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Sun May 29, 2011 7:55 pm

Luvs you could easily double the sponge recipe part so it works in your larger crock pot, double the fruit part too. You dont turn them out, you spoon serve it and serve them with cream.

DH cooked me a chocolate sauce pudding on the weekend, it was yummy, has a cake like top and sauce underneath but when you make it the batter goes in first then the choc powder mix sprinkles over it then you pour boiling water on top. When it cooks it turns up the other way and sauce is on the bottom, yummy!!

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Sun May 29, 2011 10:04 pm

Duh! I didn't think about doubling it. DD, DSIL, DGD and DGS are coming for dinner tomorrow. That will work for dessert.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles   Today at 7:03 am

Back to top Go down

Crock Pot/Slow Cooker, Stews & Casseroles
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next