The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage

Share | 

QLR !st Miniature Quilt Swap

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: QLR !st Miniature Quilt Swap   Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:13 pm

ooopp the zipper is stuck!! LOL Annie this is why I think you would be a great candidate..i am sure your scraps are just aching to be a mini quilt and I know many that would love a signed mini from you...
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

Number of posts : 1439
Registration date : 2008-09-06

PostSubject: Re: QLR !st Miniature Quilt Swap   Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:34 pm

:mockery-017:
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 19924
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: QLR !st Miniature Quilt Swap   Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:44 pm

Com on PK and Annie, show us you love us, com' on, join us please! You dont want to make us all :saddened:

PostSubject: Re: QLR !st Miniature Quilt Swap   Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:43 am

Oh so we have a couple of teasers on the bus... hummm.... now how can we get them in the bus.. do we pick them up and carry them over our heads.. or do we dangle fat quarters in front of them and lore them into the bus....

Lets say that I will have a giveaway on the last day of June.. I will draw a name of all the members on the list and then I will give away a true mini I will make for them.. that is besides the one that I am making for someone else... so the only way you can win is by putting your name on the list.. I promise I will make it worth your while...
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: QLR !st Miniature Quilt Swap   Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:38 am

Oh wow, now thats sure to draw some in, what a bait you dangle, sure glad my name is on the list LOL! dance

PostSubject: Re: QLR !st Miniature Quilt Swap   Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:17 pm

That is tempting. I have to admit, though it will not be what decides me. It is time... and of course, as it is for everyone else, money.

HMMMM I am thinking on it. But I want to get something clarified. Would the quilt be the maker's style or something that is more in the receiver's style? I mean, I tend to do things that are in rainbow bright colors or neon colors.... and not many like that. And if it is more along the receiver's taste, how will we know what their taste is? Are we allowed to ask questions? Like say I get Annie, I can see from her avatar that she makes traditional looking quilts that are simply stunning. But would I be able to find out if she decorates in that style? Or could we ask what their favorite holiday or season is and make a mini that could be used to decorate for that holiday or season? What about finding out their favorite colors? And their favorite quilt-making style is. I like traditional pieced blocks (using modern methods of course) but made in bright colors. Am I making any sense?

And I have another question. Would the quilt have to be a traditional quilt, meaning that it would have a top, a batting and a backing? Or can we make it "stiff" by using that Pelltex or whatever it is called? Basically so it would be more like a postcard but bigger. I thought it would be easier to hang if it is "stiff".

I am sorry for all the questions but I need things to be clear. I need directions. Unless I get a completely open creative license, that is....

:sohappy:
Back to top Go down
Mamu

Number of posts : 4566
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: QLR !st Miniature Quilt Swap   Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:54 pm

well, I didn't see my name on the list to round up or pm cry2 hmmmm, what does that mean?? Undesided

Laura living in NW Montana

<<< "Quilter's share a common thread" >>>
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: QLR !st Miniature Quilt Swap   Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:31 pm

Mamu I am not sure what your comment means. on the sign up list you have said that you didn't give a positive response that you are thinking of it..so I put you on the incognito list..

Lemme know would be glad to add you..

PK.. questions are preferred.. it should be a mini quilt.. that woudl mean a top/batting and backing and should be quilted.. mini's are pretty stiff with the batting cause they are smaller than a regular quilt.. so I would not say that the peltex is acceptable..
As for the design it is up to you.. some people would prefer to have what portray's you.. I myself would love any mini if it is your rainbow of colors or Annies' traditional or Paws more civil war.. it is what is you that makes that mini special.. why would you want a mini of something that you already make...i would like a change that is not already a part of my stash...I was in a swap that I only knew where the person lived.. and so I looked up a little of their history (the town's history) and then made the mini gearing towards that..Here we know each other pretty good. so you can be the judge of how you would like to make the quilt..the cost would only be your scraps/time/and postage to one person..

hope this helps a little
Back to top Go down
Mamu

Number of posts : 4566

PostSubject: Re: QLR !st Miniature Quilt Swap   Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:43 pm

I didn't know I had been included on the other subject line when I wrote that...what I was meaning is...the list to 'incite' to join up....to encourage....to push... to bribe.... bad girl

Laura living in NW Montana

<<< "Quilter's share a common thread" >>>

Last edited by Mamu on Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13223

PostSubject: Re: QLR !st Miniature Quilt Swap   Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:47 pm

I think I will play this weekend and see what I come up with... fun fun fun

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: QLR !st Miniature Quilt Swap   Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:52 pm

Thanks for the answers. I am still undecided. I will try a mini and then see if it is something I can do. I am a novice still so I do not want to send something to someone that does not measure up.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: QLR !st Miniature Quilt Swap   Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:29 pm

PK Id love to recieve anything you created, its something you made, you chose, you worked on, thats all that matters I think. I too would rather have a quilt that represents the maker,your likes, your style, that way I will always look at it and think of the maker and smile. Seeing as we all know each other here (well except my mum) I personally reckon a quilt made to reflect something the maker likes sounds great. I was thinking too, if you make it a little quilt with batting and such it will be easier to fold up and put into a smaller envelope postage wise. Also I like the idea that we can use our scraps, we all show and tell our projects, just last night I was thinking,how cool would it be to get a mini made using scraps from the makers projects we drool over on here every day? My mum is a novice too, she is scared but excitted to be involved, she knows no other quilters so this is a great chance for her to have some fun, I will help her via the phone, she has been totally stressing and worrying about it, that she might make something bad or not good enough adn what to do. I told her to make somethign that represents her and that makes her smile or happy, she is skittish as a cat on a hot tin roof but taking the plunge. They just moved house, have been sleeping in an old caravan last two weeks while dad painted inside the house, all their stuff arrived from storage yesterday, she is overwhelmed but said that stealing a moment here and there to work on a mini will be her treat :D I think perhaps you could use a little panel too, is that ok Deb? Laura got a mini from Golo at xmas, its so cute, has a snowman and gloria quilted and bound it and its embellished too, its adorable. Come to think of it you could even do an embroidery and give it borders, quilt and bind, redwork or colour, they are popular quilts so I dont see why you couldnt do a mini one.

Mamu, I see you need to be coerced, how about this encouragement to join - if you dont we are all gonna come by your place, we know where you live and Knuppel :others-171: and get you. Ift that doesnt convince you to join then how about this

Mamu, mamu please join, please make the :saddened: go away and return our smiles. Oh please, please, please join us, just think, you might win a prize from Deb and this could be you mailbox :yahoo:

That goes for you too PK, get you butt on the sign up list or else - we will cry2 and be heartbroken

Number of posts : 9483
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: QLR !st Miniature Quilt Swap   Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:20 pm

Is Gimpy a negotiator or what?! If tears don't work, we'll beat you with a stick! :affraid: Now that is incentive. lmao lmao lmao

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: QLR !st Miniature Quilt Swap   Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:38 pm

Hey, don't forget to include Ann in that....

Golo

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: QLR !st Miniature Quilt Swap   Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:59 am

I have an incognito list on the commited list (no not into the psych ward)

A mini can be as simple or as complicated as you would like...Gimpy made excellent suggestions.. this is not to make anyone sweat over this is to be a fun adventure. This is the opportunity to receive a "gift from a member that you have been chatting on line with for the past year (years).
I am not here to make it a stressful worriesome adventure. It should be exhilerating, it should be that you are running to your scraps and saying I remember when.. or I can do this.. or I am sure I don't need that anymore they will love it...this is a chance to grow a little.. and you know with growing there is a little pain.. but this should be good pain like a massage...
I can get a mini alltogether in a week and that could be a simple nine patch.. do you know what is important to me?? your label that you made it.. the little note that goes with it on why you decided on this pattern.. the fact that you took a little time to make this quilt especially for me.. cause then I know that you actually thought of me while you were making it...does not have to be what I like but what you like and I get to touch it, I get to feel it.. I get a tiny part of you.. that is what is important..

I will say again it is what you portray a mini to be ..if it is a panel (remember the dimensions) if it is pieced.. if it is applique or embellished. If it is redwork or your own design doesn't matter you are the creator of a gift that I will cherish forever..

STOP FRETTING!! (Gimpy please print this off and give it to your mom) Just think my friend Monika doesn't know you either.. but she is gung ho and excited and loves quilting adventures...

So those that are lurking and those that are indecisive I hope that this clears up any indecision and you are able to join us.. we have been through much in the 5 years I have been introduced to forums and felt that this was a perfect way to celebrate since it costs a fortune to make a whole quilt why not a mini..
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: QLR !st Miniature Quilt Swap   Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:16 pm

:mockery-017: I'm working on my mini... I'm working on my mini.... :mockery-017: sing along with me... I'm working on my mini.. I'm working on my mini.. and it is so much fun !!!!!

Golo

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: QLR !st Miniature Quilt Swap   Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:10 pm

oh golo.. I have plans for my minis.. but am finishing up the rest of my nine patches..the mini's are next on my list... they are the best to carry around and quilt cause there ain't much there..

so there are eleven more days to make a decision.. you snooze you looooooze...
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: QLR !st Miniature Quilt Swap   Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:29 pm

Message from Redmadder, I managed to contact her via pm, she is away at the moment at one of kids places babysitting.

"OK, I'm in. I'll look for the letter when I get back to GA on Tuesday. Thanks, and hugs to all."

:yahoo: another for the list!

PS Ya'll know Santa is watching who is being a good quilter and signing up dont you? Mrs Clause sent me an email and warned me coolsmiley

PostSubject: Re: QLR !st Miniature Quilt Swap   Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:33 am

Great Gimpy thanks for the great support...Redmadder will go on the list...
the wheels on the bus go round and round..round and round....round and round...
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269

PostSubject: Re: QLR !st Miniature Quilt Swap   Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:15 am

Newbie question...whats the difference between a mini and a wallhanging? really small peices? (no this question doesn't mean I'm in) :garden3:
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

Number of posts : 2252

PostSubject: Re: QLR !st Miniature Quilt Swap   Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:31 am

Chris, for our purposes, I think that there is no real difference - we're just making a small quilt (25" maximum on each side).

I think that if the quilt police were allowed to join, then there would be much more discussion about tiny pieces vs. small finished dimensions.

I've made a few minis, including a log cabin whose blocks finished to 1" - and each block had 20 "logs". :affraid: Seriously? It was NOT that edifying. I can say that I have done it and I can do it, but OMG... Life is TOO short!

But your question brings up a thought (I'll wait while y'all get over your shock and surprise...):

Do we want to plan to put a hanging sleeve on the back of our swap project? I dunno. I don't get around to mounting hooks to hang quilts on (that's why there are so few hanging in my home). If anything, I plan to use those wooden things with the marbles in them (my mom used to hang dishtowels in this sort of hanger). But that's usually only a "plan" anyway - usually I just stack the hangers on one of my bookcases and don't mount them on the wall. doh That's a big reason why I call 'em doilies. :angelic:

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: QLR !st Miniature Quilt Swap   Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:54 pm

Here is an idea.... I usually forget the hanging sleeve.... but for small wall hangings I usually just put a safety pin or two in... you can hang the safety pin on a nail or push pin in the wall. It works really well... and if you decide to use it as a table topper, the safety pins come out.

NO! My idea does not constitute a confirmation. I am just not sure if I can make a true mini. If we can just make a small wall hanging... well, that might be a different situation, altogether.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: QLR !st Miniature Quilt Swap   Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:26 am

Ok PK sounds to me like you are in, I know you just want to be pushed LOL Think of it as a small wall hanging, its really only called a mini quilt because it has wadding/batting and will be quilted and bound. Many wall hangings dont have batting, binding and arent even quilted. There are a lot of simple applique type patterns, nancy halvorsen does mini quilts, I found a pic here, the ones on the left are cute mini ones, any of those designs could be used to make a minature wall hanging quilt.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: QLR !st Miniature Quilt Swap   Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:40 am

I found other ideas, these are a bit small but gives ideas and can be enlarged easily

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.andrusgardensquilts.com/images/Mini%2520quilts%25205x7/57-123%2520Sparkle%2520Green%2520Blue%2520Geranium.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.andrusgardensquilts.com/miniquilt57.php&usg=__fylhfAlCAOkt-Ez2d_7H-UJdqT4=&h=362&w=260&sz=15&hl=en&start=80&tbnid=MftOmKijSZufWM:&tbnh=121&tbnw=87&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmini%2Bquilts%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D72

this is one of mine, made from scraps left over from other quilts, easy peasy, quilted in the ditch and bound.

more minis here too

http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/stores_app/images/images_632/JANUARY%2520WEB.jpg&imgrefurl=http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/stores_app/browse_dept_items.asp%3FStore_id%3D632%26page_id%3D17%26Categ_Id%3D106&usg=__9f2IrFJpy7ZFGlEPuGXSrPP5Nck=&h=640&w=475&sz=451&hl=en&start=92&tbnid=IO5BFYfJU4W0tM:&tbnh=137&tbnw=102&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dmini%2Bquilts%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D90

Im looking for different ideas/styles for you PK

Number of posts : 9483

PostSubject: Re: QLR !st Miniature Quilt Swap   Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:33 am

Pk, if you google "free mini quilt patterns" you will find tons of patterns. Some size adjustments are as easy as adding or leaving off a border. :)

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: QLR !st Miniature Quilt Swap   Today at 11:01 am

Back to top Go down

QLR !st Miniature Quilt Swap
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 19Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 19  Next