The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars

Share | 

Swappers Likes and Dislikes Discussion/3rd Degree Area

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 19927
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Swappers Likes and Dislikes Discussion/3rd Degree Area   Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:45 am

Ok after reading FibreBabbles post I of course bubbled with questions, who me, your suprised, yeah right, sure you are! Anyway it occured to me that we might just need an area we can pick on each other tastes so we dont fill up the questionaire board with pig trails lmao

Soooooooooooo, I have a question for FB and her list, first (uh huh, I have more than one thing to say, another shocking suprise!) what is a cake stand block? We like the same designers, cool, thats easy to remember! Now about your house colours, I like the idea of food colours but Im afraid your house would make me 'hongry'! Sounds lovely though and a great addtion to your like to know how your house is decorated! Oh and one more question, what colour is creamsicle? whew cant think of anything else right now ;)

Number of posts : 2252
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Swappers Likes and Dislikes Discussion/3rd Degree Area   Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:55 am

Cake stand (surprisingly like a Bear's Paw, now that I'm looking at it):

Creamsicle/Dreamsicle is a frozen dessert on a stick (one of them is by the makers of Popsicle and Fudgesicle) with a vanilla ice cream center surrounded by mild orange sherbet. When I was googling for a picture, I sure didn't find one of just the dessert - but I found all kinds of OTHER things that are "copycat" recipes, including cakes, MARTINIS, and this float:

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
Paws to quilt

Number of posts : 1081

PostSubject: Re: Swappers Likes and Dislikes Discussion/3rd Degree Area   Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:21 am

FB. I love those Dreamsicles, bought them (for a nickle) when I was a kid (a lonnnnnng time ago, no comments needed). But, we can still buy them around here. Yummmmm!!!
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13223

PostSubject: Re: Swappers Likes and Dislikes Discussion/3rd Degree Area   Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:29 pm

Me too.. me too.. we spent lots of nickels on a weekend for dreamcycles... nummmyyyy

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Swappers Likes and Dislikes Discussion/3rd Degree Area   Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:25 am

Oh that 'float' looks like what aussies call a 'spider' usually some form of 'soft drink' what you call soda pop ? (carbonated drink) with a scoop of ice cream dropped into it, fizzes and foams delicously! Some are done with fruit juice like orange added too. Pretty colour you describe. We have an ice cream on a stick here, a variety of them that have vanilla ice cream in the centre surrounded by various fruit ice coverings, one of my favourites has pine/lime on the outside, yummmmmm.

The cake stand block does look a lot like bear paw LOL, cant say as I have ever seen that one before, do you like basket blocks then? Im not madly in love with them, used to dislike them but have got used to them over the years and dont mind them so much now, not that Im going to run out and make a quilt of them LOL

PostSubject: Re: Swappers Likes and Dislikes Discussion/3rd Degree Area   Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:55 am

Gimpy Cat wrote:
Oh that 'float' looks like what aussies call a 'spider' usually some form of 'soft drink' what you call soda pop ? (carbonated drink) with a scoop of ice cream dropped into it, fizzes and foams delicously! Some are done with fruit juice like orange added too. Pretty colour you describe. We have an ice cream on a stick here, a variety of them that have vanilla ice cream in the centre surrounded by various fruit ice coverings, one of my favourites has pine/lime on the outside, yummmmmm.

The cake stand block does look a lot like bear paw LOL, cant say as I have ever seen that one before, do you like basket blocks then? Im not madly in love with them, used to dislike them but have got used to them over the years and dont mind them so much now, not that Im going to run out and make a quilt of them LOL
Well, let's get the cultural exchange out of the way first: Yes, a float is most often a carbonated beverage with a scoop of ice cream (usually vanilla) in it.

Why did you write pine/lime? Are those two things synonymous?

And OT: Is it probable that the package I sent to you will go astray? How would I (or you) know if it had been seized or something? I've always wondered. Years back I made a quilt and sent it for a friend's first child and never heard anything. I've always wondered if they even got it. cry2

Okay, Cake Stand. Nope, not a fan. I have seen some that weren't bad, but unless I hit my head Thud and undergo a personality shift, I can't see myself seeking them out nor making one (unless it's specifically requested in a swap or for a gift).

Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts : 9484
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Swappers Likes and Dislikes Discussion/3rd Degree Area   Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:24 am

Googled dreamsicle and found this

http://quakerstreet.com/main/images/dreamsicle.gif

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Swappers Likes and Dislikes Discussion/3rd Degree Area   Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:44 pm

Perfect, Txmary... my favorite in the whole wide world... :) Smitten

Golo

Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts : 9484

PostSubject: Re: Swappers Likes and Dislikes Discussion/3rd Degree Area   Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:21 pm

I've not had one in years. Gotta go find some. azn

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
memaw4

Number of posts : 9378

PostSubject: Re: Swappers Likes and Dislikes Discussion/3rd Degree Area   Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:31 pm

Tracy, what a very pretty block. I really like it.

Dreamsicles were something I never liked. The orange one always remined me of those yuky orange cream peanuts! I could just barf now thinking of them!

Sure would like to know what happen to those 5 cent ice cream bars, candy bars, small bags of chips.........do I go on Paws? I don't know how young you are, but I'm 54 and I actually remember the 3 cent stamp!

memaw4
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Swappers Likes and Dislikes Discussion/3rd Degree Area   Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:30 pm

I loved the oragne cream peanuts too... lmao

Golo

Back to top Go down
Linda 2B

Number of posts : 3329

PostSubject: Re: Swappers Likes and Dislikes Discussion/3rd Degree Area   Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:02 pm

Me too Golo! Dreamsicles and Orange peanut those are 2 of my childhood favorites!
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Swappers Likes and Dislikes Discussion/3rd Degree Area   Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:31 pm

Linda 2B wrote:
Me too Golo! Dreamsicles and Orange peanut those are 2 of my childhood favorites!

Childhood, schmildhood! I love 'em still. I seriously can't buy a bag of circus peanuts at the store b/c I'll be chowing down on them on the way home! :others-171:

Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

Number of posts : 11398

PostSubject: Re: Swappers Likes and Dislikes Discussion/3rd Degree Area   Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:10 am

In my neighborhood we had an ice cream parlor that made its own fresh and delicious ice cream (10 cents). My Aunt had a neighbor who owned another creamery with fresh ice cream, often made with Aunt Dorothy's fresh fruits, picked that day. I guess it's not surprising that I was never super wild about the mass made commercial stuff. There were also 3 other real creameries within teenage biking distance of our house.

Mom did not approve of sodas, so we mainly got them when visiting my DA. The result is that I am not wildly fond of them today and did not serve many to my own kids. Grandmother was a food Nazi who was probably way ahead of her time: low salt, no processed sugar, no food coloring, little meat, lots of veggies, no fried foods, no commercially prepared foods. Mom was always compromising between how she was raised at the rest of the world. Dad was a fanatic when it came to feeding babies and tots: nothing commercial, no salt, sugar or food coloring. This was because he'd been a plant engineer in a baby food plant.

Our big deal, however was a brown cow, a rootbeer and vanilla ice cream shake, only with DA.
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269

PostSubject: Re: Swappers Likes and Dislikes Discussion/3rd Degree Area   Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:13 am

Nice memories Marynel ! Detroit is the home of Vernor's Gingerale, chances are you have never tasted anything like it (its a detroit thing) for starters it has tremedous magical healing powers (it really does) and it makes an absoulty wonderful vernors float, similar to a brown cow but with a bite.
I really didn't know commercially prepared foods as a child excpet what i saw on tv, and used to look at the boxes with envy at my friends houses. They looked so modern and "cool". I grew up watching grandma make her own noodles (which went in the most awesome chicken broth on the planet). Mom used to stretch her own strudle dough (phillo) in which she piled fresh apples. I picked apples, grapes, plums..whatever the local pick your own would allow....always hated picking peaches...so itchy for a little girl. And of course every thing we picked we processed ourselves, canning and freezing. The jobs changed as we grew up but it was definalty a family affair. Dad's job never changed....he was the master of the pressure cooker (which could fit seven quart bottles).
I did impart much of this on my own children. Its all very important stuff. I was in the grocery store this week and a woman age 35 ish, she had a cart full of groceries and kept having the cashier give her a sub total, she muttered about food prices, held her breath almost...you could tell she was in dire straits, complaining the entire time about well "you've got to eat" "I've got to feed my family". Yes tough times for sure.......except she has a case of Arizona ice tea, and box after box of pre made this and pre made that. She left and the cashier commented to me...tough times...feel for the woman etc.
My response ....she needs to learn to cook real food, the woman is paying a huge price per pound for salt and sugar!
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Swappers Likes and Dislikes Discussion/3rd Degree Area   Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:24 am

Why did you write pine/lime? Are those two things synonymous? The Splice ice cream I was talking about, its got vanilla in the middle and the outside is pineapple & lime flavoured ice coating stuff. I just said pine/lime for well, I dont know, it seemed the right way to write it LOL

And OT: Is it probable that the package I sent to you will go astray? How would I (or you) know if it had been seized or something? I've always wondered. Years back I made a quilt and sent it for a friend's first child and never heard anything. I've always wondered if they even got it
Your package shouldnt go astray, if customs grabs something they send you the parcel minus the offensive item and they put a letter in telling you what they confiscated adn why (usually plant material, egg products, dangerous stuff) and often they will tell you you can have it back if you pay to have it treated. they dont usually touch candy or fabric or journal covers, mail takes around 10days to reach here from the states. Why dont you ask your friend if her first child ever got the quilt, be bold and answer the question running round your head, I would!

Mom did not approve of sodas, so we mainly got them when visiting my DA. The result is that I am not wildly fond of them today and did not serve many to my own kids. Grandmother was a food Nazi who was probably way ahead of her time: low salt, no processed sugar, no food coloring, little meat, lots of veggies, no fried foods, no commercially prepared foods. Mom was always compromising between how she was raised at the rest of the world. Dad was a fanatic when it came to feeding babies and tots: nothing commercial, no salt, sugar or food coloring. This was because he'd been a plant engineer in a baby food plant.

Sounds like sensible people mostly, no need to be nazis though, I tell laura 'everything in moderation is the healthy sensible way to go, a treat is ok as long as its a treat and not everyday' so saying she doenst drink any form of pop or soda, she doesnt know what coke cola is and she doesnt know what mc donalds is or know the name, she just knows its the place you can use the toilet and sometimes as a treat get an ice cream cone. she did try some sprite recently by mistake and started crying, she didnt like the fizz sensation or the taste, she loves apple juice, orange juice, milk and blackcurrant juice. I dont cook with salt, never have but i add it to my own food in copious amounts. We use raw sugar, I have always preferred it, we dont eat a lot of meat but have lots of veges. I dont make fried foods like fries, well I dont really fry anything, we oven bake and the only thing I fry is when I saute onion & garlic etc for recipes. I dont even brown meats when I make casseroles. we avoid 'man made foods' as in things like KFC, prepared meals, frozen meals etc. As much made by me is our goal and organic ingredients and if possible home grown. Less preservatives, chemicals etc the better.

CC I love ginger beer, its not alcoholic but is like a soda I guess, there is a beautiful one made here in tassie since the 1800's its delicous and is soothing on the tummy. I love ginger. I know what you mean aabout the lady shopping, I see it too. I dont even buy all the fancy cleaning products, room freshners etc etc, too many chemicals. we dont usually buy cookies, dont buy cake mixes etc, dont buy crisps, laura has never eaten roman noodles, I wont feed her 'instant' foods, no instant cup of soup etc. We will buy cookies sometimes for a treat but she doenst go to school with them in her lunch box, one day I sent her some and they came back home, she wants fruit in her lunch box, today at the markets she bought her own bag of pears and her own bag of apples, she hauled them to the car, each one weighed
4 1/2lbs LOL dont get me wrong, Im not obsessive, we will buy some hot chips for a treat, mind you laura doesnt eat them anyway, but we will buy a fresh made hamburger, here you have to wait 10-15mins for them to cook it but we dont eat at mc donalds, KFC or any of those kinds of places.

Number of posts : 1439
Registration date : 2008-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Swappers Likes and Dislikes Discussion/3rd Degree Area   Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:21 am

WOAH! Embarassed I am the bad mom. We get McD for a treat once a month. If I am running really late, we get something pre-made. The kids know french fries and hamburgers.... hot dogs, steak and all of the other bad meats. We grill chicken, pork chops... anything that can go on the grill! They love bananas and apples, strawberries and other fruits... but don't like too many veggies. They love crackers like Ritz and goldfish. And we do have cookies in the house, DH loves them. (He only weighs 150 at 5'11".... so no fat there... I am the one who has to steer clear.) Basically everything you ladies all have said you don't have we do have. But the kids run and play as hard as they can, so they are getting enough exercise. I don't worry about the food. I know they get healthy stuff much much much more often than the bad. It is the meat I am worried over. DH cannot seem to go without it for dinner. I would steer clear of it as well if I could... just as a once in a while treat. But DH insists. And to make matters worse, I am a terrible cook. I HATE it. I want to avoid it. But no one else will do it, so I do it, with a bad grace, and do as little as possible. big sigh See what a bad mom I am??
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Swappers Likes and Dislikes Discussion/3rd Degree Area   Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:12 am

Gimpy Cat wrote:
The Splice ice cream I was talking about, its got vanilla in the middle and the outside is pineapple & lime flavoured ice coating stuff. I just said pine/lime for well, I dont know, it seemed the right way to write it LOL

Oh, thank heavens. I mean, I know that you have some, uh, interesting food preferences, my friend - but I sure didn't come up with pineAPPLE - I was thinking PINE. doh Hmmm. I'm not a fan of lime anything; I wonder if PINE would make it more palatable? Evil or Very Mad

As for my friend's baby quilt - too much time passed. As often happens (happened) one or the other of us got transferred or moved or something. Oh, well.

But it's good to know that you'll be told if anything was unacceptable.

Need more coffeecup

lovehearts

Back to top Go down
Anita M.

Number of posts : 6221

PostSubject: Re: Swappers Likes and Dislikes Discussion/3rd Degree Area   Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:16 pm

OK, I have been working on my mini and I have a slight problem. I have cut a directional fabric and it won't all run the same direction. Why did I do this? The problem is I have flying geese units that are cut and the sides are cut from a single square. I think in the overall effect it doesn't matter ( looking at it while riding by on a galloping horse) but since this is a swap, should I be a bit more persnickety? What wou8ld you do? I have enough fabruc to fix this, if I can. Thanks for your 2 cents! :-)
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

PostSubject: Re: Swappers Likes and Dislikes Discussion/3rd Degree Area   Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:32 pm

PK...your not a bad Mom....all things in moderation. I guess my point is that there seems to be a generation of woman out there whom have no clue as to how to prepare real food products or know how much money they could be saving. I used to work with a girl and she bought pop as if it were milk ( think like....I have to go through a snow blizzard because we are out of pop)
We do go to fast food when we travel and I'm glad to see that they are at last getting real food choices, veggie burgers, apple "fries" etc.

Anita....I avoid directional fabric like the plague...I'm not a good enough quilter to get it to look good riding on a galloping horse or a team of mules!
Back to top Go down
Anita M.

Number of posts : 6221

PostSubject: Re: Swappers Likes and Dislikes Discussion/3rd Degree Area   Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:37 pm

Or a tu anitas rtle or a snail? LOL!
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Swappers Likes and Dislikes Discussion/3rd Degree Area   Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:32 pm

Anita I hate directional fabrics too for that reason, I guess if you have enough see if you can recut, thats what Id do, but thats me, I couldnt live with it not looking right when I was making it but as I said, tahts just me. Without knowing what you are doing etc its hard to comment :)

FB, just what does this comment mean "I mean, I know that you have some, uh, interesting food preferences, my friend" lmao Im wondering what I eat that frightens you ROFLOL

Princess Kris you are not a bad mom, say that one more time and Im :fantasy-witch- over there to Knuppel OK!!!!
I should explain to you a couple of things about us:

First up to buy McD's we'd have to drive about 40mins to find a store, same with KFC and Burger King (which is called Hungry Jacks here).

Secondly - laura and I cant eat the stuff, I used to years ago, only ever ate the fish burger, nothing else but we both have allergic reactions to the food there now. About a year ago we had some and all laura ate was some nuggets, I had a fish burger and fries and both of us broke out around our mouths in a burning red rash, they are putting some kinda nasty chemical on their food now. How gross is that?

Thirdly - Due to the chemical poisoning I suffered I have to be careful what I eat now, a couple of years ago I just got up one day and said 'thats that - no more man made food' I want my system, I need it to be as healthy as possible and putting all the preservatives and stuff into it wasnt helping me. Also I was putting on weight (still have it LOL) adn I have to be careful of that, the organo phosphate compound stores in the fat cells, too many and I will have trouble, soon as you start burning off fat cells it releases into the body and liver & kidneys cant process it so Im in an awkward position. Add to that I have low blood sugar which is the reverse of diabetes but if I got too overweight can shift and change into diabetes type II well, I have a lot of reasons to watch what I eat.

Lastly, I have one child to care for and one DH, Im forced to being a stay at home mom and Im supposed to have a lot of free time, (although somewhere around here an invisible force sucks it up all the time, I think its being used to pwr a space ship or something, fast as I think Im going to have extra time it vanishes and I never find it again scratch ) Seriously though, because I cant go forth and earn a dollar I support (try to) my end of the relationship by growing organic veges to help the budget and canning, freezing and cooking all the healthy stuff I can get my hands on. Im supposed to make all our jams & jellies, chutneys, relish you name it, passata sauces, pasta sauces, ketchup etc etc etc. Thats my job. So I always feel that getting take away, well its like Im slacking off Undesided if that makes sense.

Convience foods are for convience adn most families need the help at times, I have no excuse, I dont have a hectic life like most people do.

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Swappers Likes and Dislikes Discussion/3rd Degree Area   Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:21 am

PrincessKris wrote:
WOAH! Embarassed I am the bad mom.

I think I might be even worse cry2 .... cry2 We had chicken sandwiches for tea tonight - brought chicken and bread at the supermarket on the way home. We eat take-away food 2 or three nights a week (it is walking distance from here). The usual one is Noodle Box, sometimes Red Rooster, KFC, pizza, fish and chips. I work full-time and by the time I get home from work some nights it is 5.30-6pm. I leave for work at 7.45 in the morning, drop DS at school or vacation care on the way past. But he always has breakfast before leaving home, has yoghurt, cheese and fruit in his lunchbox every day and sandwiches/bread rolls as well as muesli bars and dried noodles. DS likes to make cup of soup on the weekend for his lunch. NSDP insists on meat every night, and if he had his way the meal would be meat only. Have vegies and mashed potatoes/rice/pasta when I cook but some nights when I get home, all I want to do is lay on the couch and sleep for an hour or three. Used to eat better but NSDP doesn't like what I cook - 'one pot wonder' is a favorite (put all in one pot and wonder if it tastes good. I prefer to cook stir frys but if I do that more than 1 night in a row I get the cold shoulder etc.
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

PostSubject: Re: Swappers Likes and Dislikes Discussion/3rd Degree Area   Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:11 am

NSDP...not familar with what that is an appreviation of.

I'm the queen of one pot wonders...and when I put it on the table I usualy mutter..."we eat 365 meals a year...they can't all be your favorite" Its food, to nourish...I'm not martha.
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Swappers Likes and Dislikes Discussion/3rd Degree Area   Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:54 am

I like to cook... I like to have a small garden.... its fun in the fall to prepare what I have grown, but I am not a canner, could never do a big garden... freeze what I can... try to buy stuff on sale to freeze... we have gotten more into veggies and salads and grains ....we do mostly venison... like home grown meat... they eat the grains in the farm fields so they are tasty not wild... DH loves his sweets so it is a hard habit to break... I have to keep a firm hand on him... :) I would love to live where they have a farmers market and beable to shop for fresh stuff everyday... going to the grocery store is enjoyable... I love to look at everything...

Golo

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Swappers Likes and Dislikes Discussion/3rd Degree Area   Today at 6:12 am

Back to top Go down

Swappers Likes and Dislikes Discussion/3rd Degree Area
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next