The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wishing you all a Happy and Peaceful Holiday Season

Share | 

Ugly Quilt Contest

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
FiberBabble

Number of posts : 2276
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Ugly Quilt Contest   Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:21 am

Well, *I* am certainly entering:

What was I thinking? - The Ugly Quilt Contest

We’ve all done it… made or started a quilt we hated once we got into the project. Whether it was poor fabric choices, a pattern that just didn’t turn out how you envisioned or a technique that got the better of you. Here’s your chance to share your blunders with the world and win cool prizes too.

Click Here

VERY cool prizes for this one. You have to have your picture ready to upload before you join (unless mine breaks my camera!).

:peek: Maybe we ought to have a contest here, too. Maybe set up a folder, everyone enter ONE quilt, then vote. I'm pretty sure I could pony up a FQ pack for a prize...

Though now that I think of it, that would be difficult. Everyone here is so supportive and positive and encouraging that we might not get anyone to admit that someone made an ugly quilt!!! lovehearts

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Quilt Contest   Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:13 pm

I think I might be in the middle of making mine right now.......having grave doubts on my chinese coin...so far I have learned several lessons...first one being.....I'll never make another one Shocked
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Quilt Contest   Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:28 pm

lmao lmao lmao lmao

Ohhh, poor baby!!

Post a picture and we'll convince you that you're on the right track and that you're much too hard on yourself.

Or, we'll suggest great big applique shapes to put on top of it to hide the ug.

lovehearts

Back to top Go down
InsufferableBratt

Number of posts : 2655

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Quilt Contest   Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:36 pm

Oh wow, FB! I just finished sewing the last seam on my Big Ugly an hour ago. It was also my May UFO. I don't think I have enough floor space here to spread it out for a pic, but I will be over by my parents tomorrow. I'm sure I can round up a few people with nothing better to do than hold this hideous quilt while I take a picture!
Back to top Go down
InsufferableBratt

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Quilt Contest   Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:44 pm

All right, just read the rules and I'm not sure mine will count. Mine is a block of the month kit. Does that count? It had some redeeming value when I bought the 12 months and setting kit, but somewhere along the way I decided I hated it.

Oh, this is the quilt with the famous missing triangle. I never did find that sucker. I had mommy match it up fairly close at Joann's. Figured she couldn't possibly make it look any worsse than it already did!
Back to top Go down
texasmusicmom

Number of posts : 6797
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Quilt Contest   Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:08 pm

CC....I can't imagine you would EVER make an ugly quilt...based on all your work I've seen here! :D
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Quilt Contest   Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:30 pm

Ah you flatter me TMM....but truly what do you do when you are halfway through a quilt and you just say.......bleah!

I did get the center strips portion completed today, pinned it up on my valance in my family room just so I could live with it awhile while i consider border options...it looks better now that all the strips are together however...its kind of busy...the borders will be key on how this one turns out...I should have planned better...and the thing about putting this one togehter is these very long coin strips seemed to have a life of their own....they became like long slinkys, very stretchykeeping it square was a trick and a half. I made the coins wayyy too narrow 1 inch finished. A learning experiance for sure.
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

Number of posts : 11563

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Quilt Contest   Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:53 pm

Actually, I have never seen, much less made, a quilt that I completely disliked, although there have been several I have been completely tired of before they were completed.
:mockery-017:
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Quilt Contest   Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:58 pm

oh, wow - 1" strips?? Slinky, for sure! Are you pulling out your hair? Poor baby! hug08

Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Quilt Contest   Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:34 pm

InsufferableBratt wrote:
All right, just read the rules and I'm not sure mine will count. Mine is a block of the month kit. Does that count?

I'm sure it does, Bratt - I think the "not one you were given or purchased" refers to a whole quilt that you were given or purchased (like at Wally World or something).

Mine is a compilation of really, really great fabrics all from the same line (by the same designer, of course). Put all together? Mega-blech. No

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Quilt Contest   Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:51 am

I had posted a pic and entered this contest on QB...believe me I do think we have our moments when we think about the colors we chose and the patterns to go with them...I look what the ladies have posted after me and I honestly don't see any ugly ones yet....but mine is cause I used purple and I am absolutely not a purple person!!
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 20332
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Quilt Contest   Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:28 am

Betweens I understand totally, I try and use purple but its just not my colour and well, I cant look at a quilt without feeling like the purple is gonna bite me LOL I doubt any of you have made ugly quilts, see that old saying 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' is true, what you dont like others will,

"one quilters ugly is another quilters beauty" LOL

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Quilt Contest   Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:46 am

FiberBabble wrote:
oh, wow - 1" strips?? Slinky, for sure! Are you pulling out your hair? Poor baby! hug08

Only the gray ones :lol:

I have slept on it and know what I will do with the borders..........and it will be...what it will be.
Still and all this tread beggs the question...is this how UFO's are created and how much harder is it the second go round?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Quilt Contest   Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:15 am

CC I learned the other day how my UFO's are created.. when I have to rip stitch. I put a boarder on 3 times cause I cut wrong!! and if the third time didn't work it was going to be a UFO!!
Gimpy if you saw my quilt that purple would swallow you whole.. I used alot of it.. I will be posting it on the blog shortly it is waiting for me to tourcher it more with prairie points just trying to find the fabrics I used for it I think I buried them in my stash.. (Iwonder why)

FB I think it is a great idea everyone should post "what they think is their ugly" quilt.. I mean they put it in the ugly album we have a vote and there really doesn't need to be a prize but if you would like to donate that is great.. we all vote and see which one we think is the ugliest.. it would be fun.. I know I would win!! LOL
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Quilt Contest   Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:18 am

I think it would be a hoot to post our ugly quilts, but I still think that the voting (even with a FQ pack as encouragement) wouldn't be sucessful. I mean, just look at what Helen wrote:

Gimpy Cat wrote:
I doubt any of you have made ugly quilts, see that old saying 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' is true, what you dont like others will,

"one quilters ugly is another quilters beauty" LOL

Like I said before, our members are too nice and supportive to tell anyone their quilt is ugly. :2081:

Back to top Go down
Luvsquilting

Number of posts : 2736
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Quilt Contest   Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:13 am

Hands down. I'm winning. I entered one that is not only ugly, but feels awful. It is so stiff that you could probably rest it against a wall and it wouldn't fall down. On top of it, I used cheap fabric. No redeeming qualities whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
Anita M.

Number of posts : 6321

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Quilt Contest   Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:16 pm

Bratt gave me her "ugly BOM" top. I think it is beautiful! It is in colors I love and call my name. I am sure she will post her pic when she gets home. anitas
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Quilt Contest   Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:23 pm

Luvsquilting wrote:
Hands down. I'm winning. I entered one that is not only ugly, but feels awful. It is so stiff that you could probably rest it against a wall and it wouldn't fall down. On top of it, I used cheap fabric. No redeeming qualities whatsoever.

lmao lmao lmao Wow, don't beat around the bush, Luvs... tell us how you REALLY feel! lmao lmao

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Quilt Contest   Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:48 am

A "given" quilt is always beautiful.. it is the quilts that you are to embarassed to pass on to anyone else..
Luv 2 I have one like that if it is on the bed it will exfoliate your skin nicely..LOL

My mom has some tops she got at a auction that are not pretty I would call them "utilitary" they are like 1" squares sewn to make tops but more like single bed tops no boarders or anything I suggested we put them together for a good sized queen or have a bunch of lap quilts for those cold Canadian winter days.. they are still in their repective packaged boxes.. LOL
Back to top Go down
InsufferableBratt

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Quilt Contest   Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:44 am

Ok, so here's my Big Ugly. I hate the colors and gave up on getting my seams to match up anywhere remotely close to where they should. I figured that since they wouldn't match up, and since I had consistently messed up every single one of them, I'd let it go.

And here's a closeup of that missing triangle.

Back to top Go down
InsufferableBratt

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Quilt Contest   Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:45 am

betweens wrote:
A "given" quilt is always beautiful.. it is the quilts that you are to embarassed to pass on to anyone else..

Not this one, Deb. I just wanted to get rid of it.
Back to top Go down
Anita M.

Number of posts : 6321

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Quilt Contest   Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:53 am

I see someone's toesies!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Quilt Contest   Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:04 am

okay I have my magnifying glasses out and I don't see any miss matched corners.. did you pick the best corner.. I think that you perfected this quilt so much that it straightened itself out..this is a beautiful quilt sorry.. I would not put this under "ugly" at all ISBratt.. In fact I love the layout I know what I can do with my quiltalong blocks for 2007 ...sorry but it is a beauti!!
Back to top Go down
InsufferableBratt

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Quilt Contest   Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:09 am

Look at where all the triangles come together....it's all way off. I just wasn't going to fix it because I knew it would not end up any better.

I think the reason I hate this one so much is mostly the colors. I hate paisley with a passion, really don't care for country colors, and absolutely despise civil war prints. Mom actually got mad at me for renaming a LQS Crappy Quilt Shop because they had so little I liked....all mostly civil war fabric, but I couldn't remember their official name if she used it! This one here....I think I was trying to get somethign similar to the colors mom used in the quilt that used to be on her bed and while it is pink and green, it's not the shades I like.
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Quilt Contest   Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:37 am

InsufferableBratt wrote:
Look at where all the triangles come together....it's all way off. I just wasn't going to fix it because I knew it would not end up any better.

I think the reason I hate this one so much is mostly the colors. I hate paisley with a passion, really don't care for country colors, and absolutely despise civil war prints. Mom actually got mad at me for renaming a LQS Crappy Quilt Shop because they had so little I liked....all mostly civil war fabric, but I couldn't remember their official name if she used it! This one here....I think I was trying to get somethign similar to the colors mom used in the quilt that used to be on her bed and while it is pink and green, it's not the shades I like.

I had to come back and finish reading this because I was laughing too hard to get it the first time!
InsufferableBratt wrote:
I hate paisley with a passion, really don't care for country colors, and absolutely despise civil war prints...
Sounds like you hit the Trifecta!

I agree with you 100% about the colors/fabrics BUT they all do work together (I had to really look to find the offending triangle - good job matching it!). I clicked-to-big and asked Mr. W. if the quilt was hideous and he said, "No, it's not hideous. Not my thing though. Looks kinda old-ladyish." lmao

I think the quilt actually looks quite nice (especially considering that Trifecta thing) and it will send someone - not necessarily an old lady!! - over the moon.

Thumbup You should be highly commended for sticking to it and finishing the project.

Mr. W. has something else to say: A bad day quilting is better than a good day working...
(oh, and now he's off on a tangent about tie-dyeing and Dead concerts and who knows what else...)
I can't hear you - la-la-la-la

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Quilt Contest   Today at 11:08 am

Back to top Go down

Ugly Quilt Contest
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next