The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wishing you all a Happy and Peaceful Holiday Season

Share | 

What to do with asparagas?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: What to do with asparagas?   Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:22 pm

My produce market was giving away cases of asparagas today, thats 10 bunches for 2.00.
It looked so good I just could not pass it up. I love asaparagas, quickly blanced so its still firm. I abhore soggy overcooked asparagas.
I serve it blanched and serve it hot straight up with no other doctoring or I serve it blanced, chilled in a summer salad.
It doesn't freeze well does it? I ran across a recipe to pickel it but fear it will overcook in the sealing process.
It is now all cleaned and sitting on my counter. It is very fresh, no soggy tips and its tasty raw, very fresh. I'll cook some up for dinner and a salad for tomorrow...then what??

Any other ideas/comments?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What to do with asparagas?   Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:12 am

Firstly..wow! Great score! :)
I saw a recipe for a sandwich just yesterday in a magazine that looked good. (I couldn't bring the recipe home..it was at the Dr's waiting room) They lightly steamed the asparagus stalks, then rolled each in a thin cut proscuitto, laid those next to each other on a good hearty bread, then added some smoked turkey lunch meat and a mild baby swiss cheese slice. It sure looked good!

Around here we like asparagus cut and cooked with a bit of butter and then ladle it over scrambled eggs..or creamed and served over scrambled eggs or toast. I don't know if you'd like it though..because it's a bit mushy when you cream it?
Back to top Go down
karol0405

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: What to do with asparagas?   Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:53 am

Oh, I want 10 for $2 also!! LOVE asparagus!

A couple of things we like. Put it on a cookie sheet (I use stoneware...but don't know that makes a difference) toss with a little olive oil, salt, pepper. Cook under high heat 400-450, just until the ends start to get 'frayed' looking. They turn crispy, and the stalks are still tender/firm. I do NOT care for mushy veges either!!

I also take the raw asparagus, wrap in ham (proscuitto is too expensive here!). I might have tossed the veges in olive oil first...cant' recall now). Anyway, put on a cookie sheet and bake until the ham sorta 'dries out'. It gives the asparagus a whole different flavor..just that little bit of ham.

I put it cut up in rice, pasta...anything!

Have never frozen or eaten frozen or canned. But I'm going to guess it would be mushy also.
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

Number of posts : 4205

PostSubject: Re: What to do with asparagas?   Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:11 am

My first suggestion would be share some with me - yummy!! You'll have to drive fast to get it here, though! :lol: I do Karol's method of roasting on a cookie sheet. For variety I toss in some fresh grated parmesan. It's delish that way - or after roasting you can cut it up and toss it with some pasta and diced tomatoes to make a side dish.

I actually like it canned and frozen, too - asparagus soup is so tasty! I think of it as two different vegetables: 1. fresh asparagus 2. canned or frozen asparagus :) Kind of like tomatoes - I really like fresh tomatoes and I really like canned tomatoes, but they're not at all the same either!
Back to top Go down
karol0405

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: What to do with asparagas?   Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:58 am

ROASTING!!! Maryann...for the life of me I couldn't come up with that big word this morning! good grief!!

And yes...we ROAST and toss with parm, tomatoes, pasta or rice...oh yum oh!
Back to top Go down
Leejay

Number of posts : 406
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: What to do with asparagas?   Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:30 am

My DD And Dh's favorite meal is to take two bunches of asparagus and one pack of BACON! Cut the bacon down the middle, then cut the bacon lengthwise to make four pieces out of one, then, take the thin strips of bacon and wrap from the bottom streatching it if you have to. then lay it on a cookie sheet. bake in the oven at 425 until the bacon is how you like it.. MIL likes it chewy, We like it crispy, but it is delicious either way! If you like more bacon, we have used it only cut once down the middle, That gets a little rich. BUt it doesn't bother my DH at all! Try it I know you will love it. lovehearts
Back to top Go down
Paws to quilt

Number of posts : 1081
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: What to do with asparagas?   Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:51 pm

It's also good on the grill as is squash.
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

PostSubject: Re: What to do with asparagas?   Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:47 pm

karol0405 wrote:
ROASTING!!! Maryann...for the life of me I couldn't come up with that big word this morning! good grief!!

And yes...we ROAST and toss with parm, tomatoes, pasta or rice...oh yum oh!

Ha! I'm just such a gourmet cook!! lmao Just last evening I was looking through some recipe magazines and there were so many recipes for roasted vegetables. I think it's funny how over the years certain food and/or cooking terms get to be so "in" and then kind of disappear. Currently there seems to be an awful lot of vegetable roasting going on!
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

PostSubject: Re: What to do with asparagas?   Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:57 pm

Lots of good suggestions! I'm hungry just reading!!
I know what you mean about food trends. A few years back everyone was roasting beets. My DD (who is a real over achiever) HAD to take home economics in order to graduate. She got an answer wrong on a test (name something you roast)...DD stood up and said........MY MOM ROASTS beets.....shoving her paper forward to have her grade changed :lol: The bacon/prochuttio sounds yummy as does cream of asparagas soup, ive never roasted or grilled it!!

I spent all day in the kitchen today. I made dill pickles, hot dilly beans and I dilled some asperagas, I'lll let you know in 10 days or so how they faired. I also cooked up some and tossed them in olive oil/lemon juice, onions and roasted garlic, We will have that tomorrow.
Then made a big batch of stir fry beef with snow peas (and asperagas)
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

PostSubject: Re: What to do with asparagas?   Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:15 pm

Hmmm - DH and I have been talking about where to go on a little trip. Now I have an idea - we'll travel to Chris's to eat!! lmao
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

Number of posts : 11568

PostSubject: Re: What to do with asparagas?   Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:17 am

Sounds like a plan to me.
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13244

PostSubject: Re: What to do with asparagas?   Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:07 am

Qbee you are always coming up with good trips.... and I love asparagas....

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

PostSubject: Re: What to do with asparagas?   Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:12 pm

Qbee....I' might be gone when you get here.....DH has been bugging me to take a little trip......so I mapped it out this morning and emailed it to him....Metropolis, Ill......to see the Superman museum......on to Mammoth Cave......oh...geez I forgot to mention...11 miles from the Superman museum......Paducah, Ky (Oh honey look....a quilt shop...can we stop...oh honey another quilt shop....what a coincidence! ) Thumbup
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

PostSubject: Re: What to do with asparagas?   Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:34 pm

You are a clever woman, Chris!

Golo - your "interesting trip" comment was timely - we're talking about Egypt, South Africa, and Kenya!! Maybe in November or December!! I'm so excited I could almost take off and fly there under my own power right now, I think! :lol:
Back to top Go down
iambuzzysma

Number of posts : 1971
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: What to do with asparagas?   Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:39 pm

Chris - you are my kind of woman! coolsmiley

QBee- room for me in your suitcase?? How exciting!
Back to top Go down
Paws to quilt

Number of posts : 1081

PostSubject: Re: What to do with asparagas?   Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:58 pm

QBee - Mary Ann wrote:

Golo - your "interesting trip" comment was timely - we're talking about Egypt, South Africa, and Kenya!! Maybe in November or December!! I'm so excited I could almost take off and fly there under my own power right now, I think! :lol:

Listen!!!! Hear my heels clicking together....."There's no place like home".
Back to top Go down
MurrayTart

Number of posts : 1370
Location : Murray River NSW in Oz, hey, 101 ways to cook Squash!
Registration date : 2008-09-17

PostSubject: Re: What to do with asparagas?   Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:04 am

Lightly steamed chilled spears wrapped in proscuitto. Aspargus & shrimp salad or lightly cooked & cold mixed with red pepper strips, red onion rings & chopped pecans [or tinned garbanzo beans], tossed with a mustard vinegarette.

This mustard factory we visit sells the nicest pickled aspargus spears. Very mild pickle with mustard seed, garlic & peppercorns, nice on an antipasto platter!

Nice in quiche or crustless quiche too!

Yum, wouldn't it be lovely now, winter here, put oh the wee!!

~mt~
doh
Back to top Go down
tlcquiltnut

Number of posts : 1078

PostSubject: Re: What to do with asparagas?   Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:46 am

I love asapagus too. I like to cream it...yummmo.
All the other suggestions sound good too. I have a jar of pickled but am scared to try it....I think, "why ruin the asparagus?" It does freeze.
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

PostSubject: Re: What to do with asparagas?   Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:05 am

I was watching this tv show where they made homemade mustard. It looked quite easy and fun and tasty. I did pickle some of the asparagas...I've got to wait for a couple weeks before i try them.
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

PostSubject: Re: What to do with asparagas?   Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:34 am

Pickled asparagus is very tasty in a Bloody Mary! (or so I've heard. . .) winking
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

PostSubject: Re: What to do with asparagas?   Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:36 am

Paws to quilt wrote:
QBee - Mary Ann wrote:

Listen!!!! Hear my heels clicking together....."There's no place like home".

Yes - it's a great place to come back to! :)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What to do with asparagas?   Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:12 am

MaryAnn..I can't imagine being able to visit such exotic places! The best I do is watch the travel channel and dream. If I had to choose from those places..I don't think I could do it? No wonder you're so excited! Thumbup
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

PostSubject: Re: What to do with asparagas?   Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:35 pm

I'd love to see Egypt, but think I would need to go in the cool season (is there a cool season in Egypt?) I'd love to go on a camera safari too....lucky you!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to do with asparagas?   Today at 11:56 pm

Back to top Go down

What to do with asparagas?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Quilter's Last Resort :: General Category :: Recipes-
Jump to: