The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage

Share | 

Hug Swap Guidelines & Participants

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
FiberBabble

Number of posts : 2251
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Hug Swap Guidelines & Participants   Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:32 am

Here's the same info from the 2009 Hug Swap topic, in an easier-to-find location. Feel free to continue chatting and discussing designs and ideas on the original topic!

Okay, so here's what I'm thinking for guidelines:

Deadline to sign up is Monday, August 31.

1. WAIT until you've gotten your swap-ee's name before you start, then check out the Swappers Likes and Dislikes topic to learn more about her.

2. Each swapper makes one Mug-Hug and one Mug-Rug, using the basic pattern (the shapes & construction) shown on Jenny's swap page (Mug-Hug) and Vicki's swap page (Mug-Rug).

You do not have to embroider the design on your items.

It would be nice to have something that was "huggy" - whether an appliqued heart, "love" fabric, angel or something else - on your Mug-Hug and Mug-Rug. Originally I'd thought of using orphan quilt blocks and cutting them up to use. I still like this idea. Maybe I'll cut up one of my old Irish Chain blocks and applique a heart onto it... (I'm sharing ideas here - speak up with your ideas, too!!)

3. Your swap-ee's identity is NOT a secret.

4. (from the original swap rules) You must not send anything else except the Mug-Hug and Mug-Rug! This is very important. Remember, many people cannot afford to add extra items or pay large postage so this way no one feels bad if they cannot add extra items.

5. Do not sign up for this swap if you do not think you can get the items made and posted by October 20th.

Your swap-ee will not be sending a Mug-Hug and Mug-Rug to you, you will be someone else's swap-ee!

See? Only five rules/guidelines and a bonus of a few ideas!

So, about making and swapping multiples... I'd like to say that we can swap up to three Mug-Hugs and Mug-Rugs. I'm a bit fuzzy on the logistics, but if you're interested in doing that (and you can decide after you've made your first set, if there's time), then we'll all try to figure out how that will work, 'k?

Now is the time to speak up, my friends. Stand and be counted! Or listed. Or folded and spindled (ow!).

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Hug Swap Guidelines & Participants   Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:33 am

The Mug Hug is a flat thing - unlike the tube-ish sleeves that they use on coffee drinks you purchase, these are meant to dress up your swap-ee's favorite cup. The original Hug pattern I linked to had the ribbon ties so that it could fit over most people's tea/coffee cups. The 'flat' part is also important for mailing.

Velcro would work, as long as you kept in mind that not all cups are the same diameter, so it would have to be adjustable, too. I had a thought about buttons and elastic loops (though I'm not sure how my fingers would navigate those before my first cup of coffee!!). What other ways of adjustable fastening could we use? Jenny's pattern uses only the one tie; I had it in my head (scary place) that there were two ties... This is a good place to be inventive and artistic, if you so desire!

I would like to stress that the Mug Rug should be no larger than 5" square (or round. or heart.).

Jenny's pattern for the Mug Hug finishes to about 3 x 8".

Once again, the size constraints are because of mailing. Just last week I mailed a letter in a 6 x 9" envelope. Since 6 x 9 is a standard US PO size, if I'd used that my letter would have cost 1 stamp. Since I was using a slightly larger envelope, I had to put 2 stamps on it!

So, there you go. As long as the items can
a) adjust to fit your swap-ee's coffee/tea mug and
b) ship flat in a 6x9" (though it's not required that you use a 6x9" mailer!)
then I guess you can run wild...

Oh - (sheesh) the items need to be washable!!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who slops coffee. Or reaches for the cup with glazed-donut-sitcky fingers... or am I?? Embarassed

Thanks, everyone for helping to point out places in the original guidelines that weren't covered or weren't clear - it's a big help!!

Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Hug Swap Guidelines & Participants   Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:34 am

:flower: Okey dokey, here we go! I used a random number generator & here's who ended up with whom:

Linda 2B (making 3) sends to Hummerlou, FiberBabble & Gimpy Cat

Golo (making 3) sends to Linda 2B, Laura-girl & FiberBabble

Hummerlou (making 3) sends to Linda 2B, Texasmusicmom & Golo

Mamu sends to Golo

Texasmusicmom sends to Hummerlou

FiberBabble (making 2) sends to Linda 2B & Mamu

Laura-girl sends to Hummerlou

Gimpy Cat sends to Golo

and
Betweens sends to Golo

and
FiberBabble sends to Betweens (because FB got mixed up)

Here's what happens next:
1st: Send your mailing address via email or PM to the person who is making a hug for you.
2nd: Check out the Likes & Dislikes topic if you need some guidance in chosing fabrics/design/etc.
3rd: Commence ta' creatin'...

Remember, it would be nice if you chose fabric or decorated the Mug Hug & Mug Rug with something that says, "If I were with you I'd give you a hug myself, but since I can't be there let this be a reminder every day that I think you're special."

I think we should not post pictures before we mail the packages... but if you all want to, I won't lose any sleep. What do you think?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hug Swap Guidelines & Participants   Today at 7:49 am

Back to top Go down

Hug Swap Guidelines & Participants
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1