The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wishing you all a Happy and Peaceful Holiday Season

Share | 

Secret Santa Swap

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14 ... 25  Next
AuthorMessage
Gwennie M

Number of posts : 1913
Registration date : 2008-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa Swap   Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:32 am

It will be fun, the more the merrier we always say!!!
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

Number of posts : 1439
Registration date : 2008-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa Swap   Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:06 pm

Time for another update!

Gimpy Cat
Golo
JennQT
Hummerlou
Memaw4
Luvsquilting
Betweens
karol0405
PrincessKris
abertquiltmom9 AQM9
Mamu
Marian
Anita M
breezepines
Murray Tart
shemoos
Polska
Jessie S.
Gwennie M
Linda 2B

We are getting closer and closer to getting everyone on the forum into the swap! Keep bugging, i mean INVITING, everyone you can think of. Still need to pester QuilterMarynel and AnnieOakLeaf. Anyone else you can think of too! Don't want anyone left out in the cold :stuck-tongue-0 right? And we want everyone to be there for the party! chatting
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa Swap   Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:06 pm

I have had such a hard time getting on here. Anyone know what is going on?
Back to top Go down
hummerlou

Number of posts : 3936
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa Swap   Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:36 pm

I think they were doing some maintenance on the server.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 20326

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa Swap   Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:01 pm

I think you are right hummerlou, I know they have a whole slew of new stuff to upload adn install that will make the forums more user friendly and easier to run. Fingers crossed it all goes without a gltich. I have internet/phone problems myself so combined, I dont know whats causing what from this end.

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa Swap   Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:58 am

New List:

Gimpy Cat
Golo
JennQT
Hummerlou
Memaw4
Luvsquilting
Betweens
karol0405
PrincessKris
abertquiltmom9 AQM9
Mamu
Marian
Anita M
breezepines
Murray Tart
shemoos
Polska
Jessie S.
Gwennie M
Linda 2B
Redwork

That makes 21. Not sure how many are on the forum but it sure would be fun if everyone joined in!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa Swap   Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:28 pm

hummerlou wrote:
I think they were doing some maintenance on the server.

A lot of really old stuff could maybe be removed. This might help to get things moving faster and unclog some problems.
Back to top Go down
redmadder

Number of posts : 3404
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa Swap   Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:05 pm

add me to the list. surely inspiration will strike soon.
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13244

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa Swap   Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:44 am

Gimpy is having trouble in Australia with the internet and her phone...

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
memaw4

Number of posts : 9468

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa Swap   Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:25 pm

With redmadder that makes 22! Wow PrincessKris that's great.

I thought it was just our computer being slow as usual. Can't wait to move to where we have high speed. It can't come too soon let me tell ya. Looking again tomorrow at another one in the same general area as the first one was. Guess the bank wants this property back and is ready to out bid anyone who wants it. Remember this home is in foreclosure. Kinda silly if you ask me.

memaw4
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa Swap   Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:44 pm

what happpened to the first house you were looking at Memaw? I have been wondering

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa Swap   Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:23 pm

21 members that is pretty good that is about half the members....almost.. I know there are some lurkers there that I am sure want to join in.. we need a smile that has his hand over his eyes in search of those lurkers and then we need to send "party invitations" to them so that they know they are invited with no stress..

Good work so far PK that is a good signup list so far!!
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa Swap   Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:08 pm

New Update:

Gimpy Cat
Golo
JennQT
Hummerlou
Memaw4
Luvsquilting
Betweens
karol0405
PrincessKris
abertquiltmom9 AQM9
Mamu
Marian
Anita M
breezepines
Murray Tart
shemoos
Polska
Jessie S.
Gwennie M
Linda 2B
Redwork
Redmadder

We need some more! I think I will post again in the Today thread. It might help....?
Back to top Go down
Marian

Number of posts : 5105

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa Swap   Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:57 am

Yeah, Anita and Gwennie joined ! This is going to be a fun swap. It would really be nice to have everyone on the forum join!!!!!

Marian in Ohio
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa Swap   Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:27 am

It was brought to my attention that some of us are having trouble getting ideas of what to do. I should have thought about that problem, anticipated it, but since I didn't I am going to make up for it now. Here are a few ideas, just to get the juices flowing, so to speak:

A small quilted ornament: take two 4.5" blocks (crazy patch works great), layer them fronts together with a layer of flannel for the batting. (You can use a very thin batting if you have it.) Sew around the sides, leaving an opening for turning. Turn to right sides, whip stitch shut, inserting a ribbon for hanging as you go. The layering process is this- block 1 facing up, block 2 facing down, batting layer(flannel). I like to put my ribbon in when I layer and machine sew it so it is really secure. In that case, you put it between the two blocks. You can get very fancy with this idea, using different shapes like circles and hearts, or add piping to the edges or eyelet and lace. This idea is super simple and looks fantastic on the tree.

A mini stocking, made similarly to the quilted ornament, works great

How about coasters?

Pincushion. There are lots of free patterns on the web for both pincushions and coasters. I have a pattern for a pincushion shaped like a piece of cake. Very cute.

Little bags or totes.. more free patterns on the internet

If you don't think you have time to make something you can get your person something... new needles are good, or a seam ripper... etc. Just keep in mind the cost of shipping

Or how about something not quilt related... a new coffee mug (keep in mind that shipping!) with a packet of fancy hot cocoa?

If you cross stitch, maybe you might like to make a few ornaments. I made three for Schnookie on the sister forum, last year. Tied with ribbons to hang. They were cute.

Maybe crochet is a secret passion... you can make a granny square, starch the daylights out of it, add a cord or ribbon for hanging and you have a lovely ornament. I believe you can do the same with knitting, though I am not much of a knitter, so I don't really know.

To go along with the knit or crochet idea... you can make a scarf and hat... if you get started now. LOL I like to loom knit and they whip up fast on that. Of course, if you don't knit or crochet, you can buy a set too... BUT keep in mind that our limit is $10. And that shipping cost!

You can make a humbug bag. Here is a link for a pencil case one but you can make them any size. Quilton made one for me for last year's swap on the sister forum. They are quite handy. http://madquilter.blogspot.com/2009/01/humbug-pencil-case-tutorial.html

A bookmark is nice. Bearfoot has a pattern for a very nifty one. It is four layers of fabric... with some fancy cut work... anyone know the link for her tutorial?

So, I have put some ideas out there. Anyone else have some? Please share! There are a few people who don't know where to begin and it would be nice for them, and maybe for the rest of us who do have ideas, to see some more thoughts. SO SHARE!
Back to top Go down
memaw4

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa Swap   Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:57 am

Gimpy, the one we looked at together first is the one that needs a lot of work. The home is in the very last statges of foreclosure and will go on the auction block this Friday. The bank that has the loan wants this home back for who knows why. They are prepared to out bid us reguardless of how high we go. We are not going to play this game with so many other homes on the market. With all the work this home needs you would have thought they would say "you can have it." They didn't.

The home we are looking at today is the one I had wanted hubby to look at once before but he drove by it and just said "I don't like it" and that was that. Well we are going into the home today, so I'm hoping he changes his mind about it. You can not judge a book by it's cover and it goes the same with a home. Yes I did tell him this. This home offers the same amount of bedrooms, has a updated kitchen, 2 bathrooms, family room, basement, and fireplace. AND is has almost 2 acres compared to 1/2 acre. Also a double garage. All brick on outside.........no maintance.

Just pray he likes it well enough to put put down a contract, because another couple willl be looking at it today too after us. I will let you know how it goes. We get to go look at 2:30 the other couple comes at 4:00.

hugs,
memaw4
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa Swap   Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:27 pm

there is the regift system as well.. sometimes you buy a kit or something you just had to have now you think why did I ever get it.. or there may be a pattern that you have used and don't need anymore that can be a regift...even again some f/q that you thought you loved but now your fabric choices have changed.. regift..
I love regifting it is like going to a garage sale and buying what the other does not want. someones garbage could be someone else's treasure.. and really you have used it and the only money outta your pocket is the postage..

Just a thought.. quilters love patterns even if they have been opened

Deb
Back to top Go down
Schnookie

Number of posts : 1928

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa Swap   Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:14 pm

well I hope I made it in... sent a PM to PK and hope she will except me. Sorry I am so slow at doing things lately. Now I think I will go and find the place you tell all about what you like and don't like....hummm
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa Swap   Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:01 pm

Every time I open my cupboards my gift from Mamu is staring at me.. I so want to get it done it is so cute and a great mini with strawberries.. I also have some wonderfu xmas fabric from her as well! it seems like I just got it yesterday!! can you believe this is our second SSS...!!
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa Swap   Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:40 pm

Next Update:

Gimpy Cat
Golo
JennQT
Hummerlou
Memaw4
Luvsquilting
Betweens
karol0405
PrincessKris
abertquiltmom9 AQM9
Mamu
Marian
Anita M
breezepines
Murray Tart
shemoos
Polska
Jessie S.
Gwennie M
Linda 2B
Redwork
Redmadder
Schnookie

Schnookie, the sign up closes on Oct 20th. You could have sat on the fence for a while yet. Glad to have you!

Keep adding those ideas on! There might be some still who dont know what they want to do.

Keep after those who aren't on my list yet, too!
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts : 9699

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa Swap   Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:26 pm

Why does the second Santa on the banner have 2 tails on his hat? He looks very odd. Maybe he is not a real Santa? Maybe it is pigtails and Santa is really the bearded lady from the circus?
Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmmm.

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa Swap   Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:39 pm

Join our swap and I will tell you the answer......................................... coolsmiley

Reminds me, where is Paws, BearFoot, TLC - I was going to say JessieS but she is signed up already. Come on ladies, dont be shy winking

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa Swap   Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:25 pm

I see that there is also a sign up on Come quilt with us.. some people may not be able to sign up on both boards...but I see some did and it is wonderful!!

Just another idea.. do you have a duplicte book you bought by mistake? is there a book you didn't really think you would like after all when you bought it? maybe one of the quilters would like the patterns from that book or the technique??
what other talent do you have?
Back to top Go down
memaw4

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa Swap   Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:13 am

Gimpy, the house we went and looked at yesterday.............no way! Neither hubby or I liked it at all. We do intend to keep looking till we find out just exactly what will happen to the one in foreclosure that we really want.

memaw4
Back to top Go down
Schnookie

Number of posts : 1928

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa Swap   Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:34 pm

Memaw house hunting is so intence isn't it. I always loved looking in new homes but finding the right one is hard sometimes. I hope the one you are waiting for will be it and your search will be over soon.

Princess, I could withdraw and wait a bit, but I am afraid I would miss it all together. And I had so much fun with the last one! So come on everyone, join it the fun and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa Swap   Today at 2:47 pm

Back to top Go down

Secret Santa Swap
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 25Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14 ... 25  Next