The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage

Share | 

Birthday Block Swap

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
PrincessKris

Number of posts : 1439
Registration date : 2008-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:24 am

lovehearts I love to look at mine too! I miss merry bee! cry2 My son asked me why the quilt block makes me cry. I told him that the nice lady who made it went to heaven. He said not to cry, I would get to meet her there someday. I know I told you that story, here or on another forum but it is touching so everyone has to read it again! azn

HMMM another round......... tempting
Back to top Go down
LEM

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2008-09-13

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:08 pm

Oh my gosh....only one more month and then this swap is over. Undesided Well, I guess it's not really over until we throw away the quilt. haha. which of course we would never do.

This has been a great lot of fun. Soooooooo I'm reading rumblings of doing another swap. ......... Any volunteers to host it? If nobody else volunteers, I'll do it again. Should I start a new thread to get sign ups for the next one? Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Let me know.

Lora. (LEM)
Back to top Go down
LEM

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:31 am

quiltermarynel wrote:
LEM, Sorry, now I got the message. Yes, that is the "missing" block. Thanks.I rather liked that one and would hate to think it was lost in the mail somewhere.

Marynel, you didn't say who the block was intended for. ???? I'm hoping it was for the November birthday because that's where I sent it. If not, let me know right away and I'll make amends.

Lora.
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:10 am

HMMMM I think I would volunteer but I do not want to barge in, LEM! If we want to do it again, and I do, I think we need to get started. Perhaps, since it is already Nov. we should start in Jan. with the Feb. birthdays and then go to Jan. birthdays last. HMMMM I think it would be fun to do something like pick the theme, like SBS or stars, and let everyone make their favorite colors. Rainbow-like, see? Of course, it would be fun to just do the same way we did this time. LOL!
Back to top Go down
StillStitchinInAlva

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:17 am

Oooooooohh. Does this mean I need to be checking my mailbox soon for my blocks? Whoopee! Can't wait, can't wait. :yahoo: mailbox Can you tell that I'm excited?

Karen
Back to top Go down
bizkitea98

Number of posts : 438

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:18 am

I would be defently in for another Bday-block-swap.

But I have a stupid questions what´s SBS for in USA? In Germany it stands for Sylvias Bridal Sampler - I guess I have seen it that you use it for Sunbonnet scratch This would be a challange for me anyway I never did a Sunbonnet nor a Sylvias-Block. Stars are great also.... or everyone picks a block they would like to have (hope I said it right).
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:38 am

I used it for Sunbonnet Sue, Karin. LOL! Never thought of Sylvia's Bridal Sampler. LOL! What I was meant was that everyone could choose a theme, sort of. Like I love star blocks, so maybe I would say "Stars", and then everyone would make me a star block in their favorite colors so that in June I would get a rainbow of star blocks to make a lovely rainbow star quilt! Maybe Karin would say "Baskets". Then everyone would make her a basket block in their favorite colors and Karin would get a rainbow of baskets for a Basket of Rainbows quilt. Just an idea.
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:39 am

Or maybe someone likes applique flowers, so everyone could make an applique flower in their favorite color for that b-day girl's Flower Garden quilt. I thought it would be fun! Smitten
Back to top Go down
iambuzzysma

Number of posts : 1956
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:37 pm

I like the idea of everyone picking their theme - stars, fairies, butterflys, frogs, SBS, flowers, baskets, dragonflys, xmas, hearts, etc, etc OR a specific block from Quilter's Cache........FUN! :yahoo:
Back to top Go down
bizkitea98

Number of posts : 438

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:12 am

Kris - thanks for explaining This sounds like alot of fun..... theme, specific block....... :others-208:
Back to top Go down
StillStitchinInAlva

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:46 am

Thank you, thank you! I got my birthday blocks in the mail yesterday (sorry did not have time to send this yesterday). The blocks are beautiful! I love each and every one. I'll post a pix as soon as I figure it out! LOL Everyone did such a nice job. Thank you Bluebird for your note about removing the paper from the back of the block. I have never done any PP so I probably would have removed it sooner than I should have.

Megga thanks.

Karen

By the by...how does one post pixs in the messages here?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:43 pm

i like that idea, too!
Back to top Go down
StillStitchinInAlva

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:39 pm

I like picking a theme. Just hope it is something I can do! LOL

Karen
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

Number of posts : 11377

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:07 pm

LEM, Yes, that was right.

By the way, I don't recall who suggested Sue blocks. Of course, I would love that idea, but I'm not sure everyone would, since not everyone likes any kind of applique. I have seen a PP Sue, but I thought it was a real stretch without much advantage. I do like the color choices.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:59 am

I like the idea of a theme.....that sounds like fun
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:47 am

It was I who had suggested the SBS, Marynel. It was just a thought, to pick a theme and let everyone else pick the color. I was also thinking of doing an SBS swap. (Not as a replacement for the Birthday Swap, though.) Maybe a SBS calendar quilt. Everyone would get a month and they would make a Sue block doing something that depicts that month. Like Feb Sue, wearing red, pink, and white getting Valentines. Or June Sue going on a picnic. Or November Sue chasing down a turkey for dinner. I thought that would be a fun quilt to have. I thought of making my own but really wanted my friends to make blocks so I could have another lovely remembrance for my own. And they would have one from me too.

I do seem to be wanting to get involved with the swaps this coming year, don't I?
:quilting1:
Back to top Go down
LEM

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:59 pm

Princess Kris,

I you would be willing to coordinate and organize next year's birthday swap, that's great with me. You can definitely count me in as a participant. I love the idea of themes for the birthday recipients. Hmmmm.....now I'm going to have to think of the types of blocks I like the best. I also like the idea of each birthday recipient picking their favorite block from quilter's cache and having everyone make one of those. You are so creative. I know you'll do a great job hosting next year's birthday swap!

Lora.

BTW, everybody please get your December blocks in the mail to me no later than the middle of next week because I plan to mail them to Stacy the first week in December. If you can't get them in the mail to me by the middle of next week, you'll need to send directly to Stacy on your own.
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

Number of posts : 11377

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:15 pm

When we moved from a 5 bedroom, 4 bath house to this single side trailer, we intentionally did not bring very much with us. All the curtains and drapes we brought are now replaced except 2, both in the pop-out. Yesterday, DH washed those. (dusty!!! ARGH) We promptly decided that my birthday blocks would be perfect in the larger of those 2 spots. That way, we get to enjoy them every day. I'll do something else quiltish for the other, narrow, window. I only have the borders to add.
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:31 am

I love that term, Marynel! Quiltish! That is awesome! I love ISH words! I can see you are starting to picture a new birthday quilt for the little spot.

Oh, Lora, I did not mean to step on your toes. I did not want to take your spot as "Hostess with the Mostess". You have done such a great job. I was just throwing out ideas. If it does not bother you, truly does not bother you, I would be glad to start it up. Otherwise, please know I do not mean to take your place! Hug
Back to top Go down
LEM

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:49 pm

PK, HONESTLY, it doesn't bother me at all!!!! I have been traveling so much with work that I feel a little neglectful of my full hosting responsibilities, so if you wouldn't mind hosting next years birthday bash, I'd be very thankful. I will help any way I can if you need me to.

BTW, my toes are just fine! azn

Lora.
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:41 am

OH good! If no one else wishes to be hostess I will. Anyone?
Back to top Go down
StillStitchinInAlva

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:37 am

Princess K, I think you will do an awesome job! I'm in for whatever is decided. I need to start thinking about what pattern I like the most. It's not like I know a lot about any of them though. LOL But it is fun learning new ones as I make them for others.
Karen
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:34 am

I think that I will open the swap up on Dec 1 and close it Dec 31 if no one objects. Of course, that is if no one wants to host. In mean time (all of 6 days.... ) we can decide how we want to swap. So here is the poll question of the day. Do you want to choose colors and block sizes, like we did this year? Or do you want to choose a theme or a block from Quilter's Cache and let everyone else use their favorite colors? My vote is for choosing a theme or block and everyone makes it in their colors. OR we can mix it up. If you are not comfortable choosing one block you can do it like this year. So lots of decisions. Here is another, do you want to open it up on our sister forum??? I am very flexible.
Back to top Go down
BearFoot

Number of posts : 901
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:12 am

PrincessKris wrote:
I think that I will open the swap up on Dec 1 and close it Dec 31 if no one objects. Of course, that is if no one wants to host. In mean time (all of 6 days.... ) we can decide how we want to swap.
I think you are elected for the Birthday blocks swap! I would start a new thread for this...Naming it Birthday Block Swap 2009 or something that distinguishs it from this current swap.

So here is the poll question of the day. Do you want to choose colors and block sizes, like we did this year? Or do you want to choose a theme or a block from Quilter's Cache and let everyone else use their favorite colors?
Would you like me to start a real Poll thread for you? Or would you like to try it yourself (I think you are allowed Undesided ) It could go along with what I mentioned above.

Here is another, do you want to open it up on our sister forum??? I am very flexible.
While I think this is a very good thought, it makes it very hard on the hostess to keep track of 2 forums for a swap. Then there is the fact that many are on both forums anyway. Those that don't visit both forums always feel like they are missing something. Believe me, I have DONE this. It isn't easy. So my advice...just keep this one here. We can let people on CTTQ know that it is taking place, but that they need to sign up on QLR.

Just my
Back to top Go down
StillStitchinInAlva

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:21 pm

BEARFOOT, What is CTTQ? Is this the sister forum mentioned? Never heard of it.

Karen
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Today at 6:12 am

Back to top Go down

Birthday Block Swap
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next