The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wishing you all a Happy and Peaceful Holiday Season

Share | 

Birthday Block Swap

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
golo

Number of posts : 13244
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:45 pm

SSIA, our sister site is http://www.comingtogethertoquilt.com/ check it out and sign up...

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

Number of posts : 1439
Registration date : 2008-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:23 pm

[quote="BearFoot"]
PrincessKris wrote:
I think that I will open the swap up on Dec 1 and close it Dec 31 if no one objects. Of course, that is if no one wants to host. In mean time (all of 6 days.... ) we can decide how we want to swap.
I think you are elected for the Birthday blocks swap! I would start a new thread for this...Naming it Birthday Block Swap 2009 or something that distinguishs it from this current swap.

So here is the poll question of the day. Do you want to choose colors and block sizes, like we did this year? Or do you want to choose a theme or a block from Quilter's Cache and let everyone else use their favorite colors?
Would you like me to start a real Poll thread for you? Or would you like to try it yourself (I think you are allowed Undesided ) It could go along with what I mentioned above.

Here is another, do you want to open it up on our sister forum??? I am very flexible.
While I think this is a very good thought, it makes it very hard on the hostess to keep track of 2 forums for a swap. Then there is the fact that many are on both forums anyway. Those that don't visit both forums always feel like they are missing something. Believe me, I have DONE this. It isn't easy. So my advice...just keep this one here. We can let people on CTTQ know that it is taking place, but that they need to sign up on QLR.

Those are excellent points, Bearfoot! You are right, I should just announce it on the other forum and then have them join us here if they want to play. As for the poll thread that would be great!!!! I think it would make it a bit easier. I just have Marynel's concerns in the back of my head should everyone like the theme idea. I don't want anyone to feel that they cannot play if they think that someone's choice is too difficult. I want everyone to play!! Birthdays are normally so awful for me that I want everyone to have a great one! And what better way to have a great birthday than to receive lots of lovely blocks made by their dear quilty friends?? So, here is what I have come up with. I will make a new thread for the 2009 Birthday Block Swap (09 BBS for short) and then I will hop onto our sister site and post an announcement on the Today thread there. I will open the swap on Dec 1 so we can start thinking about what we want to do. And, if you would be so kind, Bearfoot, I would ask you to put up the poll thread. So, with that, meet me in the all new 09 BBS thread! :yahoo:
Back to top Go down
BearFoot

Number of posts : 901

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:43 pm

StillStitchinInAlva wrote:
BEARFOOT, What is CTTQ? Is this the sister forum mentioned? Never heard of it.

Karen

CTTQ is the sister forum...Coming Together to Quilt www.comingtogethertoquilt.com Come on over and check it out! :)
Back to top Go down
BearFoot

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:47 pm

Quote :
And, if you would be so kind, Bearfoot, I would ask you to put up the poll thread. So, with that, meet me in the all new 09 BBS thread! :yahoo:

Looks like you already have this taken care of. Thumbup Sorry, I was a little slow getting back in here this afternoon.
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:46 am

OOPS! I did not know I could do that until I had started the thread and then saw that you could just add the poll on. I am sorry! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
BearFoot

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:30 pm

PrincessKris wrote:
OOPS! I did not know I could do that until I had started the thread and then saw that you could just add the poll on. I am sorry! Embarassed
No need to appologize. I love it when you all learn how to do something you didn't know you could do!
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:50 pm

Thumbup Okay, I WON'T! HEHE
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

Number of posts : 11568
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:48 pm

I FINALLY got the BBS top done. I started it as a bed quilt, then, yesterday, DH asked me to create another large window cover, so I made another block and the bottom row became the right one.

This is for the window in our Pop out, which gets little directy sun but lots of chances for us to enjoy it.

[url=][/url]

Why do I keep getting double pictures when I click once? I tried taking out one of the doubles and end up with nothing. Hmmm...
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:23 pm

Very nice marynel!! I'm itching to do something in purple, Wallmart has several that go well together. I breezed through the fab dept. yesterday to get the yard stick for my wallhaning.
They are getting hard to find! I bought the last three
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:33 pm

Your quilt looks great Marynel!
Back to top Go down
BearFoot

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:37 pm

Very pretty! It will be nice to be able to look at all the time!
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13244

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:47 pm

Very very pretty... and what a good spot to put it....

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
bizkitea98

Number of posts : 438

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:09 am

Oh Marynel your quilt is just awesome - you got some wonderful blocks lovehearts Its a great idea to use it as window-cover - a spot were you can look at it all the time.

Im still playing around with my blocks
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:57 am

Marynel, that is gorgeous! I even saw the one I sent! Are you thinking of joining in again? ::nudge nudge::
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:29 am

Phooey. I wrote a reply then lost it.

Yes, I am thinking about joining in again. I had lots of fun.

notes:
I hope it is not offensive that I added a flower to the thrid block down on the left. It was MUCH darker than the others, so I decided to lighten it a bit.
Dh and I are really pleased at how well these blocks "play" together.
I used 5 of my own blocks. 3 were scrappy crazy. The upper and thrid down on the right are based on orphan blocks. The upper one is from 3 grocery bags of "scraps" from a professional quilter who used to live in our town. I think I made 5 quilts entirely from her scraps. I think this block is the last of them.
Being a purple freak and a dragon collector, I was thrilled with the gold on purple Chinese dragons that are theouter border.

I still have not figured out how I will quilt this, but it will "tell" me in time.
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:34 am

ps. One nifty thing about window covering quilts is that the colors really glow in daylight. I use very good white muslin for the backing, which tends to reduce any light damage and does not interfere with the glow. I have one window cover that I have used for 6 years on an East facing window with no appreciable light damage.
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:24 pm

WOW! I had to look again at the borders. I did finally see the dragons. I had missed them the first time. :hammer: I love dragons too! Thumbup
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:25 pm

How can I tempt you to join? HMMMMM Maybe you would like an all-crazy quilt! OOOHHH Have been thinking of doing one with Christmas fabrics...and another with Hallowe'en fabrics. LOL!
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:58 am

Well, there's crazy quilts, Sunbonnet Sues, birdhouses, hmmm lots of good themes.
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:01 am

Thumbup Exactly!
Back to top Go down
StillStitchinInAlva

Number of posts : 326

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:12 pm

Quiltbrain, I received the birthday block and is it ever a pretty one. Thank you so much.
I haven't even thought about how this will all go together yet. And I'm already looking forward to next year's exchange! Yikes! I better get with it or I'll have another year to figure out too! Shocked Thanks again.

Karen
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:18 pm

Glad you liked your block Karen. I still need to make a couple of blocks to finish mine. doh One of my "new year's SUGGESTIONS" . lol!
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:25 pm

One thing I like about these blocks is that every time I go back I see something new. DH feels the same way. He will say, "This one is my favorite." (Quiltbrain's) Then he'll say "I like this one a lot" (always a different one) "This is nice too." Then "This is wonderful fabric."
Back to top Go down
StillStitchinInAlva

Number of posts : 326

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:49 am

Quiltbrain, Like your New Year's Suggestion. Not so much guilt if not accomplished in the year. Ha Ha.

Quiltermarynel, I know what you mean about seeing something new each time. That's what is so fun about quilting. Especially scrappy quilts.

Karen
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:29 pm

You all are not going to believe this --- well, maybe you will. TODAY is my birthday, and guess what came in the mail TODAY - my blocks!!! :yahoo: Beautifu, beautiful blocks!!! Thank you so much!!! Smitten
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Birthday Block Swap   Today at 3:44 am

Back to top Go down

Birthday Block Swap
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next