The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Dear Jane stitch along

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
karol0405

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Dear Jane stitch along   Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:23 am

Okay ladies...here is the official Dear Jane stitch along. I'm calling it a stitch along, because, honestly, who knows when it will get quilted! I'm just worried about stitch the blocks together at the moment!!

I am working on the blocks in rows. They are 4 1/2" finished. So, I am setting a goal for myself to get 13 done at a time, before moving on to the next project!!

I am using the book Dear Jane by Brenda Manges Papadakis. They are just pictures also...so I'm sure I am reinventing the wheel in some situations! I hear there is a CD with paper piece patterns. I may have to break down and buy that when I do the borders.

Also...I am just stitching my blocks together with no sashing. I just want it to look like a splash of color when I'm done. I hope I don't regret that, but I'm fairly sure I saw a picture once of one done with no sashing..and liking that.

Do you want to stitch with us?

What is your goal?

Last edited by karol0405 on Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
karol0405

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 am

Here is my first row...10 blocks.

Here is block #11 I worked on last night. I was a bugger of a block.

But it's done, and I'm keeping it!!
Back to top Go down
karol0405

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:51 am

It JUST dawned on me...if I stitch together with no sashing...then my borders won't work out in the end! rats.

Boy, that would have been a nightmare to figure out 1/2 done!

sigh....
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 20309
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:04 am

karol first off I just have to say, I love your stencilled frieze!

this is a great start to your thread, I love your blocks, how are you drafting each one? You are machine piecing arent you? Are you appliqueing as well adn is that machine done too? Your blocks are great, love last nights effort!

Number of posts : 9462
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:01 am

Your blocks look great girl.

memaw4
Back to top Go down
redmadder

Number of posts : 3401

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:44 am

karol, go to www.dearjane.com if you want to see how someone else went about piecing the block. going thru my fabrics i find i have very little off white left. my goal is to match the look of the original so it may be awhile before i can afford to buy more white. on the other hand, i have lots of repro fabrics from that era.

going to draft some today, it helps me piece later if i draw it first. your blocks are great, are you going to add sashing i've seen it with deep green.
Back to top Go down
karol0405

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:45 am

First of all...I had to look up the word 'frieze'! HA! Awfully fancy word for my little chair rail border!! I call the walls 'buttered popcorn', because that is what I think the color looks like! When I saw the stencil...that was it! I did them by hand, and all are really a little different in color! I love it! BUT the problem is now I can't cover a wall in shelving or anything, because I CAN'T cover up my flowers!!!

applique I do by hand. My machine and I don't communicate well enough with each other to machine applique well.

I'm afraid deep green will make it all too dark?? I don't know now!! I really didn't want white (or off white), but I'm thinking it might bright up the colors and make them stand out more? I am using all batiks and tone-on-tones.

the book I have has a drawing of each block. So, I don't redraw it. I just use my pencil and color in the blocks as to which ones are light and dark fabrics. Then I just look at it, measure with my little ruler, and try to make as close to accurate as I can. they aren't perfect. I'm gonna figure Jane wasn't perfect either!! So it's okay!
Back to top Go down
texasmusicmom

Number of posts : 6791
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:38 pm

Looks great to me! I'm going to hide from any boldly stated goals....lol....until band marching season is over lol!
Back to top Go down
karol0405

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:55 pm

Alright...I'm having my own little dear jane crisis...I need reassurance!

I put a 1/2 sashing inbetween my blocks. bleck! I'm not happy!!

I am using a creamy white. It's what I have most of on hand. And I can not go out and buy something extra right now.

I am really beginning to rethink my two color blocks. Maybe I should use the white as the background for all of them...then use just one batik on each block?? Would that look better in the end? I've only done 11 blocks...it wouldn't be the end of the world to start over....

Please someone...tell me what to do...and I'll go with that!

Okay...TMM...you don't have to state a goal! Just show up every now and then and show us a block or two! Or maybe just encourage me along! I'm a clearly not good at finishing things...I need encouragement!

(heck...I can't even get this one started to my liking!)
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13244

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:32 pm

Have you done a couple with the creamy white as sashing... take a picture and show us...

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
redmadder

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:11 pm

consider using different batiks as the sashing. just a random placement, it would keep the color scheme, white seems intrusive with your rich batiks.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:47 pm

perhpas you could do some with white background in each row but not all of them, would come together in the end. Id like to see a pic too with teh cream sashing

Number of posts : 11557

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:48 am

Looking good!
Back to top Go down
karol0405

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:33 am

Well, last night I finished block 13. First row down! Okay. so I have 12 zillion more blocks to do...but I honestly feel like I have accomplished something

(ps..crisis is over I think...)

I really like doing my blocks 2 colors. If I used the white as the background for every block...I don't think I would like that either.

Batik sashing is an option I guess...I was afraid that would ' muddy' it more.

I do like the idea of adding the white to a block here and there. And maybe I WILL use the white as the background in the border blocks....

Here's the white....

I'll put the sash along the bottom today and see what that does.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:45 am

the white almost gives it the effect of a stainglass in reverse, like a negative. It will really make the batiks stand out. You could always try an inky blue or green like if you like thos colours. The white will really feature each block. Or maybe a mottled/handyed fabric for sashing if you decide you hate the white. Not batik but not plain either, dappled

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:38 am

Dear Jane Blockshttp://picasaweb.google.com/debraanger/DearJane?feat=directlink

I think I can join you in this Karol I too.. had started DJ but had gone to the applique blocks.. would like to continue with my DJ too.. I am getting these as a BOM from http://www.stitchinheaven.com (really didn't need to pick up more fq to make the quilt) this way it is the amount required.

I may take a little more time cause these are all hand pieced so that I can travel with them

Your blocks look excellent!! I love the batik style you are using I have seen one before through someones blog.. I know a couple of bloggers that are doing it if you want I can post their blogs too so that you can see others.. lemme know

thanks for starting this thread it is great incentive to get back into it again..
Back to top Go down
karol0405

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:46 am

Yea...we have another playmate!!

"I may take a little more time...' There is no time limit!! Simply encouragement...you finish what you finish...I finish what I finish! the point is to FINISH something!!

gimpy...I'm not buying anything new for this! I do have a mottled dusty pink fabric that is actually really pretty. But when I put the blocks on...it instantly got muddy looking. Nope...didn't want to do that to the pretty pink!
Back to top Go down
hummerlou

Number of posts : 3935

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:10 am

I really like GC's thoughts on this, Karol! I love the batiks, my absolute favorites!
Back to top Go down
redmadder

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:23 pm

there are multiples of these blocks that got sashing and added to the 6 inch collections.

i like the way your blocks look with white.
Back to top Go down
karol0405

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:03 pm

Ohhhh, your colors are good red!

Are you doing them in order?
Back to top Go down
redmadder

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:27 pm

i'm starting over. just for the challenge, i'm doing them in sets from the center out, starting with the pink ones. here is c7, i've worked on it for over an hour, now have to applique those diamonds in the corner so still not done. when you get to it, i made good notes on how to piece it.

Back to top Go down
redmadder

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:04 am

just for the challenge lmao just finding fabrics is making my bp go up. and my eyes keep skipping around, going that one would be easy to piece, no that one, look at the red in that one. i don't trim till ready to set together. karol i love your batik blocks, i'll have to stick to civil war since i can't afford to shop for fabric right now.
Back to top Go down
redmadder

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:30 am

sigh.......this is not the way to go. I'm (hey, my key is working) going to start A1 and try to get that row done this week. Karol, have you put yours away for awhile? I often miss the point, its a quilt-along. Betweens, your blocks are great. I've been piecing by machine, going to get out the replica lightweight and give it one more chance, Knuppel
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13244

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:08 am

these blocks are good experiences.... you are tempting me but then I remember all of sylvias bridal blocks I made.... glad to have done it but not ready to do it again.... yet !

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
karol0405

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:38 pm

RM...actually mine are sitting out still looking at me with their white borders!! I have to put the sashing strip along the bottom and see what I think. I'll do that tonight. I've been subbing, and they don't let me bring my machine in and work! HA. But it will support my fabric habit...so I'm happy for the work.

The blocks have been a challenge for me. I feel like I have sorta re-invented the wheel a time or two! But now I have been shown the DJ website, so I will look up the ones that baffle me. Otherwise, I think it's sorta fun trying to figure out the best way to put them together.

But after this last sashing, I will put them away for a bit. I want to get some christmas things done...before Dec. if possible!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Today at 4:34 am

Back to top Go down

Dear Jane stitch along
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next