The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars

Share | 

Dear Jane stitch along

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:53 pm

I took the smart way into this DJ.. I am sent 10 BOM each month by Stitchin Heavean this way I am not buying more than I need.. even though they give you ample extra fabric.. perfect for making a great mini scrap quilt.
I am only 70 behind..LOL!!! but 10 ahead and all is organized saves me the headache. Golo you might want that route
Redmadder your blocks are beautiful love what you have so far...I think once we get our act in gear we will keep each other going. I am going to start some of it this weekend. I have a few "finishes i have to do" for swaps and whatnot but then it is back to me.. All me..LOL.. you know it is all about me..LOL

I am in the process of doing them row by row this way it will be a little organized... something has to be organizedin my life might as well be DJ.. this time of year you need to finish gifts or start them.. January is really perfect for a good dig into Dear Jane..she will give you wonderful winter memories.. LOL

Deb
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13223
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:04 pm

That sounds like a good way of doing it, Deb.... I think I will sit on the sidelines and just enjoy your blocks and whoever else makes them....

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
redmadder

Number of posts : 3374
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:30 am

I'm being very quiet over here. On Saturday, my co-grandma dropped a bombshell, pulling out of our trip to take GD home so she can get back in school. Into the breach, I shanghied her vehicle and headed south after some hurried packing. Ten hours and a blowout later, mission accomplished. I'm minus money and patience. Here it is Wednesday and I am still tired and sore. However, I've been retrieving blocks from the bin of civil war squares and have many more than I remembered. Maybe this should be the grumpy quilters thread, but I am trying to focus on Jane.
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:00 am

If there is just one thing I have learned from quilting Redmadder is that it is very theraputic. Tell Jane I said hi! : )
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:57 pm

I think we could have called this Dear Jane Inch-a-Long... what is enjoyable is the slow process and how each of these tiny blocks will have a wonderful memory!! you will pull out those blocks and so say I remember when I was making these I was... and I put them away because.. and pulled them out again because...as we inchly go through them.. Hug
Back to top Go down
karol0405

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:20 pm

Inch a-long may be appropriate! While I was so pleased with my 13 finished...I mean...an ENTIRE row...I was tickled pink. BUT...do you KNOW how many more I have to do??? goodness!!

I have two (or three) christmas things to finish up...and a challenge to quilt...then I'll attack row 2 of our Dear Jane!
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 19927
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:21 pm

Inch a long lmao sounds like most of my sewing LOL

Redmadder I didnt know your granddaughter returned home. Hope she goes ok back in school after all the unheaval you suffered with her coming to you. No matter what, you were there when needed and you deserve a medal!

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:09 pm

i pieced a12 today, what a bugger. i made 8 flying geese 1x1.5 inches, then pieced it like a 9patch. tomorrow a13. i'll post pictures when i get the camera back from little brother. he's trying to photograph hand tools for ebay. then he looks at me with those puppydog eyes and i leave the camera again. sigh
Back to top Go down
redmadder

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:36 pm

i went ahead and pieced a13 tonight. could not get little bitty triangles in there so put square of green behind and appliqued edges of white over it. it came out 5.5 inches unfinished. debating. try again or adjust size of sashing to accomodate this one. aaaaughhh.....
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:24 am

I'm going to have to quilt a few more years before I get the nerve up to do this quilt!
Back to top Go down
redmadder

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:13 am

ok, so i tried again this morning. better. i pieced by machine, but stopped at all corners as if hand piecing. that'll be a picture, number 1 and number 2. now to applique a7, maybe piece a5. will have to dig thru string bin for fabric bits. don't you think jane might have done the same.
Back to top Go down
karol0405

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:14 pm

Some of these are buggers! I'm proud of you RM for sticking with it!! I know mine aren't perfect. I don't think Jane's were either!! ;)

I often wonder if Jane had any idea when she was making her quilt the impact it would have on the quilting world YEARS later!

I have two more projects that MUST get done before I start row 2. But I do keep thinking about it!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:41 am

I went as far as getting my next 10 blocks in the mail and putting them in their respective storage box..a few more things to finish and then I will be able to be as frustrated and perservered as you all..

Anyone can do these blocks they can be beginner blocks you just have to take your time.. do them by hand and make it relaxing.. start with the easy blocks first and then you can graduate..no more excuses you can do it
Back to top Go down
redmadder

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:08 am

I'm piecing by machine, by hand, applique, whatever will get the job done. and that is excellent advice, start with the easy. You get used to looking at the small pieces. And this is a quilt to be worked on for years just for the satisfaction.
Back to top Go down
redmadder

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:35 am

Betweens, are you getting finished blocks in the mail? the patterns and fabric? Just curious. I'm finding many of the fabrics intended for DJ are used up. BTW I'm up to B4.
Back to top Go down
redmadder

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:00 pm

looked through book last night, motivational mistake. there are so many of these. trying to focus on future, lets say m12 and an approaching sense of completion. going to applique b5 tonight.
Back to top Go down
karol0405

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:31 pm

YEA red!! b5!

I am in soccer overdrive right now. I don't know WHEN my christmas projects are going to get done...therefore getting back to Dear Jane baby!

Actually, I do know when...but it seems soooo far away right now!

Pictures red??? what are you sashing them with?
Back to top Go down
gnomatter

Number of posts : 337
Registration date : 2008-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:24 pm

:froggy: Let me just jump right in here...if you don't mind!!!!

WOW, Just found this thread ! I have a book on Dear Jane - not sure who the author is ...have to go find it now!!! Not sure if I am up to tackling this right now but January sounds good. I need to do something to get me out of this NO QUILTMAKING slump.
I am interested in your color choices and what blocks you do first. I definitely like the idea of hand piecing.

Okay, I can see alot of research is going to have to take place. Sounds very complicated!!!

You go girl! There's some inspiration for now, Karol!!!!

CC if you can make all those BEAUTIFUL purses and quilts that you've shown us, you can do this!
Thanks for sharing pictures. Your blocks are beautifully done!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:40 am

Redmadder.. I had the book and what they are sending me is the fabric for the blocks...you can buy the book with the disk but it will cost me enough getting these fabrics for the next 2 years.. they give you extra in case of errors..LOL

Congrats..that means all your A"s are done and you are well on your way for B's !!

redmadder wrote:
Betweens, are you getting finished blocks in the mail? the patterns and fabric? Just curious. I'm finding many of the fabrics intended for DJ are used up. BTW I'm up to B4.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:44 am

Redmadder.. looking through the book should give incentive.. the harder ones you do when your brain is top notch!! the easier is when you want to just sit back..
Gnomatter would be glad to have you in the group.. the more the merrier.. I am getting my fabrics through a BOM at an online store http://www.stitchinheaven.com

you made a good point with CC she can do this with ease.. these blocks are small enough if you put your mind to it you can have one done a week and it would mean only a year of putting it together.. I know i should talk.. but I will start again.. very very soon.

If you want to know how I am doing them.. I trace the pattern on freezer paper...I number the pieces...then I cut them out. I iron (to the back)the pieces on the fabric that will go with which pieces. I trace around the freezer paper. I cut out the pieces a scant 1/4in to the smaller than the larger.. and then I know which pieces are which cause I have them numbered... My book is also marked up I coordinate the numbers with the numbers that I had written on the freezer paper.. when I am ready to piece that piece then I will take the paper off.. but not until I start to piece it.. hope this helps with other people that are working on DJ and hand piecing..
Back to top Go down
karol0405

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:28 am

gnomatter....I will look forward to your blocks in January!!! yea!

Deb...how do you get your freezer paper to stick??? As soon as I start messing with it...that freezer paper comes un-stuck! It becomes frustrating to me.

I am 'trying' to do the blocks in order. Just so I can then stitch an entire row together...and make my self feel like I've accomplished something!

I am doing mine in batiks. My working name of this quilt is 'Jane meets Monet'. I'm weaving a whole little story in my mind as I work!
Back to top Go down
redmadder

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:21 am

I labeled a folder for each row. The plan is to piece some easy ones while concentrating on one row at a time. Then that block goes into its folder so I can find it when that row comes up. Sometimes I treat myself to piecing an easy one before bed, gives me a sense of accomplishment to sleep on.
Back to top Go down
gnomatter

Number of posts : 337
Registration date : 2008-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:09 pm

Deb, Checked the website you recommended...really REALLY like the Dear Jane in BLUE!!! WOW! 224 blocks....yikes! I do have the correct book, it appears, so I am going to start checking to see what colors I have that would go well with this. I have NO civil war prints and think I will just use what I have...maybe even 30's. Has anyone done this in the 30's?
I like the batiks, Karol!
This is exciting...something to look forward to!!! How many years is this quilt-a-long expected to take!!!???? lmao
When you say you ironed the freezer paper on the back...does that mean the right side of the fabric? I have never used freezer paper before!!!! Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:02 am

the freezer paper is only ment to be temporary anyways when I start piecing I take it off cause i am using that piece.

the sticky side of the freezer paper is to the wrong side of the fabric so that I can draw my sewing line and cut my piece out..

do you have your iron set at cotton and are you steamless?? it is important not to use steam with your freezer paper it sticks much better

karol I have seen a batik done before and it looks awesome can't wait to see your pics..

gnomatter yes I have seen them in the thirties prints and it too looks awesome..

I am sure this will be a 4 year venture for me cause I am piecing them all by hand...

If you examine alot of the DJ's that are done you will find that they do the color values in a circle in the middle may be purple (example) around that block the 4 blocks may be pick and then around those blocks would be yellow... just take a look and you will see..
Back to top Go down
karol0405

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:09 am

I think 30's would be very pretty.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dear Jane stitch along   Today at 4:51 am

Back to top Go down

Dear Jane stitch along
View previous topic View next topic Back to top