The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage

Share | 

Asian Swap

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Do you want to mail to hostess or mail seperately?
Mail to hostess?
56%
 56% [ 5 ]
Mail to individual?
44%
 44% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 9

AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Asian Swap   Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:53 pm

I think one is a little darker than the other.. I like the idea of both or either cream on cream and beige on beige.. this will give good dimension on the blocks. I too like the suggested idea's for her patterns... it will be interesting to see what others use for the hair... just think asian when making the blocks..

I am sure Golo has 8 blocks made.. now you were asking which asian block we should do..
I like all three so it does not matter to me.. I think I am going to do a couple of fan blocks as alternets and put asian fabric as boarders around the blocks to make them the same size....this is going to be a fun quilt.. I am practicing my feathers to machine quilt maybe by then I will have some success and be able to machine quilt this one..

golo I am sure you have your 8 blocks made.. LOL
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13223
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Asian Swap   Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:46 pm

between your funny, but now you have challenged me... I have been collecting fabric though... I think I like the cream on cream or beige on beige also.... I think then the background doesn't out shine the applique.... Good luck on those feathers.. I haven't gotten around to them yet....

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Asian Swap   Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:54 am

I was looking at the face and that would be a more ivory or white so you don't want the face to blend to much with the background colors...I have them all printed and now am going to the quilt store in search of that light (rinse away?) fusible... hope I am lucky...

Can we stipulate not a heavy fusible at all??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Asian Swap   Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:55 am

how about signage are we signing our blocks? or sending a block with our siggy on it?? I was thinking if we did the blocks the same size as the fan piece that is on the bottom of the fan pattern that would be cool... what about everyone else or is that to much??
Back to top Go down
iambuzzysma

Number of posts : 1956
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Asian Swap   Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:35 am

I found the fusible wash away stabilizer at JoAnnes on Tues. It's by Sulky & comes in one of those tubes. I got the lightweight. Used my 40% off coupon so wasn't bad at all.
Back to top Go down
Linda 2B

Number of posts : 3328
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Asian Swap   Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:11 am

If we use beige on beige background the ivory faces will show nicely.

Are we using light weight stabilizer or wash away or either.

As far as signing the blocks I would rather not unless it is in a place that doesn't stick out. The fan edge is a good idea.
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Asian Swap   Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:33 am

Linda, I think the fun of doing a swap is signing the blocks... I am sure we can do this along an edge that won't show off too much...

Golo

Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Asian Swap   Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:42 am

Any updates on this ... please check 1st post on page one...

Golo

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Asian Swap   Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:51 am

gosh darn it all.. we poor poor Canadian's don't have a Joann's here.. nothing like it but a Fabricland.. and I really am not crazy about them..

I will look around for the washable one.. I am sure the stores carry it.. but wonder if they would take a Joann's coupon..LOL should I try it??

I think what did on one of the swaps is have a request to not sign my block so if anyone doesn't want their block signed they will have to stipulate it.. but honestly I can kick myself in the petuti for not having them signed... the fan piece is 10 by 6 in so that is pretty big for a signed block...whatever anyone decides...

iambuzzysma wrote:
I found the fusible wash away stabilizer at JoAnnes on Tues. It's by Sulky & comes in one of those tubes. I got the lightweight. Used my 40% off coupon so wasn't bad at all.
Back to top Go down
Mouse

Number of posts : 1016
Registration date : 2008-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Asian Swap   Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:04 pm

How many blocks do we need to make is the next question? Do we pick 1 block and make 8, do we make 8 total??
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 19917

PostSubject: Re: Asian Swap   Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:35 pm

Betweens perhaps an emroidery (needlework) store might have stabaliser? I have found it in them before

PostSubject: Re: Asian Swap   Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:26 pm

The sign up is not closed yet, we have till May... maybe more gals will sign up.... If you are anxious to get started you can do 8 up for sure.... but there could be more yet....

Golo

Back to top Go down
iambuzzysma

PostSubject: Re: Asian Swap   Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:50 pm

I was planning on giving mine as a gift when finished so don't think I'd want signatures on them. Would it be too confusing if some did & some didn't? scratch If so, I'd just make due with the siggys. Also if we are starting early, I think you need to set the guidelines. Beige BG, but not muslin? White faces? Thanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Asian Swap   Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:50 am

Annemarie.. it won't be confusin' if you print out the list of names and we could post beside the names who wants siggies and who doesn't.. it has been done before.. but it is up to the Coordinator..

Gimpy I will give that a try.. most of the quilting stores that sell the embroidery machines should carry it as well..

Golo thanks for updating the page..
I went to a friends house today and she had some great CW fabrics (Civil War) that almost looked like a wonderful asian theme well.. just food for thought.. I was trying to get her to sign on too..

Gimp are you going to get in on these beauties.. I am sure there is a wee girl that would love this as a quilt the design is amazing.. LOL.. hope full wishful think'n..

Anyone else in mind for such a beautiful quilt.. anyone have their fabrics picked out yet.. have some auditions.. hey I may get some done this weekend..
I have a gorgeous gold oriental fans for accent fabric that I want to use and there was a great textured black for the hair...then to pick my thread.. I still have gold from Christmas applique I could use.... anyone else with their ideas swimming in their head.. can I just go home right now and start.. can I just retire and quilt all day... I miss my sewing room!!
Deb
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Asian Swap   Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:30 am

Skin color???? White would probably show up the best....

Golo

Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Asian Swap   Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:51 pm

Betweens Im sitting this one out and most of the swaps this year. Im so far behind in things I really need to get my act together and get some stuff finished and done. Thanks for thinking of me though

PostSubject: Re: Asian Swap   Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:17 pm

Prewash all your fabric.... I did that this afternoon and have my blocks cut.

Are ya getting excited yet... :froggy:

Golo

Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Asian Swap   Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:40 pm

Another thought ( ya, I have them once in awhile)...
Shall we leave the applique sewing to the reciepient ????? All we are going to do is cut and iron on the applique...... I know that machines do the blanket stitch differently and maybe some only want to zigzag ??? I know I want to use black thread but maybe some of you gals would rather choose a different color.... Let me know your thoughts...??

Golo

Back to top Go down
Mouse

Number of posts : 1016
Registration date : 2008-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Asian Swap   Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:56 pm

I am happy to have siggies on my blocks - just tell me how and where to put them (never done this before, have only taken part in 1 other swap on a different site). I am also happy with the 'no sew' idea too. Am going to get some fusible today and am waiting for the washing machine - also have to buy some cream/beige fabric too.

Just 1 question - do we just pick 1 pattern and do 8 (or whatever the final number ends up being) or do we do x of all 3 oriental girls???
Back to top Go down
iambuzzysma

PostSubject: Re: Asian Swap   Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:56 pm

OK - I'm pretty confused right now. No Sew????!!! What's up with that? I thought some of you already had some done? Please, someone tell me the rules all in one post.

Last edited by iambuzzysma on Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Asian Swap   Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:13 pm

Actually, IABM, the NO Sew makes for an easy block... you just have to fuse your gal on the background and thats it..... then when you get your 8 blocks you do your own apliquing and the stitches will all match.. I have been in this type of swap before and I think you will be more pleased with your own quilt... So far I think there are only 8 gals involved so 7 blocks are all you have to make to send out. If you chose to do different gals that is fine or you can make all the same... remember each gal is only getting one of yours... Or we can send 2 blocks to each gal then you would have to make 14 to send out... We are still deciding everything... the swap will not actually start till May.........

Golo

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Asian Swap   Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:42 am

I love the idea of a "no sew" you are right about the different stitches on different machines.. just the iron on fusible is great!! what an excellent idea!!
Buzzyma.. this would make it much easier for you all we would do is iron on the fusible pieces send them to the person this way you can have continuity in your stitches and threads you would like to use.. boy so glad someone thought of this!!
I think we are only having a little more of specifics so that your top will look wonderful with the continuity of color and stitches the person that you give this top to will greatly appreciate it!!
I don't have any blocks done but am sorting through fabrics for the beautiful asian girls.. I just love this pattern.. I also like the idea of doubling up but if we don't get enough to sign up I think I will do the alternate fan blocks.. wondered if anyone would mind to wait to send my blocks if I put a piece of fabric for your signature to send it with my block instead that way I can put it with the fan that I will make inbetween or is this just to confusing..

Gimp not a problem sorry I didn't mean to put you in a position. but would have loved a block.. I still have my schoolhouse blocks to finish .. I pull them out and read the names and am so happy that I did this one I don't hear from alot of these people anymore.. so it is a great memory of the old Yahoo group. (things surely have changed since then)
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Asian Swap   Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:14 am

Betweens dont be sorry, you didnt put me into any kind of spot. Im trying to be good, so far this year I havent got much done at all big sigh I hope the rest of the year gets better. I was just looking longingly at my school house blocks two days ago lovehearts Lauras star quilt reminds us of many friends lost in cyber space, think of them often and wonder where they are now and what they are doing. Its nice to be wanted in a swap, thanks for caring

PostSubject: Re: Asian Swap   Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:32 am

That is the fun of signing blocks on a swap... I have several quilts made up that I enjoy seeing the names ... it actually surprises me how many swaps I have been in... and all sooooo different... glad I have my quilts all made up....

Golo

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Asian Swap   Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:05 pm

I want my signed. I like it that way. My friends think its neat to see where all the blocks come from, and so do it. names with city and states.
I guess we do both male & female blocks so 8 of each for each person. Is that correct? Or more as people sign up.
sewing2
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Asian Swap   Today at 2:39 am

Back to top Go down

Asian Swap
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next