The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wishing you all a Happy and Peaceful Holiday Season

Share | 

Book I'm Reading

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Krafty Lady

Number of posts : 12840
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:12 am

I just started the Mitford Series by Jan Karon, think I'm really going to like these, she gets your attention right away. I've started reading some real sleepers lately but this batch the lady from the library sounds like some good ones. Last time she brought 9, I had read one and 4 I couldn't get interested in for nothing!! That is the first time that has ever happened. Do you ever have that problem with some books??? lovehearts Norma

The hurrier I go the behinder I get!
http://s632.photobucket.com/albums/uu46/suziq-41/
Back to top Go down
Jessica

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2009-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:48 pm

Yes, Scnookie, I loved the book. and I think I will enjoy the movie..it is full of actresses that I like.

Have you read anything else by Sue Monk Kidd? She has written several devotional books, but this is the only novel of hers that I have read.
Back to top Go down
Schnookie

Number of posts : 1928
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:40 pm

Golo, I think you would like the book it was a good read.

Jessica no, I haven't read any thing else by Sue Monk Kidd. I should check out more of her books.

I started to read the Big Book of Angels. It is really interresting to find out how different religions see and view Angels.
Back to top Go down
Jessica

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:29 pm

I just finished The
Sugar Camp Quilt...it was very intersting.....liked it.
Back to top Go down
Mamu

Number of posts : 4566
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:05 am

Just got a newsletter from Barnes and Noble.... New book called "Prayers for Sale" by Sandra Dallas..... sounded interesting... here's a peek...

Hennie Comfort is eighty-six and has lived in the mountains of Middle Swan, Colorado since before it was Colorado. Nit Spindle is just seventeen and newly married. She and her husband have just moved to the high country in search of work. It's 1936 and the depression has ravaged the country and Nit and her husband have suffered greatly. Hennie notices the young woman loitering near the old sign outside of her house that promises "Prayers For Sale". Hennie doesn't sell prayers, never has, but there's something about the young woman that she's drawn to. The harsh conditions of life that each have endured create an instant bond and an unlikely friendship is formed, one in which the deepest of hardships are shared and the darkest of secrets are confessed. Sandra Dallas has created an unforgettable tale of a friendship between two women, one with surprising twists and turns, and one that is ultimately a revelation of the finest parts of the human spirit.

In her charming new novel, Dallas (The Persian Pickle Club; Tallgrass; etc.) offers up the unconventional friendship between Hennie Comfort, a natural storyteller entering the twilight of her life, and Nit Spindle, a na´ve young newlywed, forged in the isolated mining town of Middle Swan, Colo., in 1936. When the two meet, Hennie recognizes her younger self in Nit, and she's immediately struck with a desire to nurture and guide Nit, who is lonely and adrift in her new hometown and her brand-new marriage. As Hennie regales Nit with stories and advice, the two become inseparable and pass several seasons huddled around their quilting with the other women of Middle Swan. Even though Hennie maintains an air of c'est la vie as she unravels her life story, Nit and the reader soon realize there are tragedies and secrets hidden behind Hennie's tranquil demeanor.

Laura living in NW Montana

<<< "Quilter's share a common thread" >>>
Back to top Go down
Anita M.

Number of posts : 6324

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:48 am

I was looking at that today. Whoever posted about Emilie Richards Ministry is Murder series, THANK
YOU! I bought the last two books in it today. I am going to pass these around. Great series!

Bratt got me started on the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella. Her books are pretty good too.
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

Number of posts : 4205

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:53 am

Anita - that might have been me! At any rate, I really enjoy that series. I have to get the latest one - haven't read it yet.
Back to top Go down
quiltmom9 AQM9

Number of posts : 3497

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:15 pm

I am reading Fireside by Susan Wiggs....

I have read another Sue Monk book..called The Mermaid Chair.....not bad....
I have rented the Secret Life of Bees movie and need to watch, I did read the book a couple of years ago....interested in comparing movie to book....

Living in the beautiful Sierra Nevada of Northern California

http://community.webshots.com/user/abertquiltmom9
Back to top Go down
Jessica

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:09 pm

ooohhhh...these new books sound great...I want to read the shopaholic series and the Emilie Richards series...
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:38 pm

Alicia - I really liked both the book and the movie "Secret Life of Bees". I thought the movie stayed fairly close to the book. Of course, I read the book when it first came out, and I don't remember what I read for that long. I'll be anxious to hear what you think. I liked "Mermaid Chair", too - but not as well as I liked "Bees".

Krafty - The Mitford series was really fun to read! I think you'll like the books. I think you'll find the Episcopalians more lively than the Amish. :)

Schnookie - Just noticed you asked about the "Bees" book - guess my reply to Alicia tells you I thought they were fairly close - but Alicia is younger and probably has a better memory :lol: so we'll see what she thinks!
Back to top Go down
Jessica

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:18 am

I sam so glad that you all like to read...I like to read and discuss books...I wish we had a reading club around here...
Back to top Go down
Krafty Lady

Number of posts : 12840
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:12 am

Mary Ann, I think so too, but I still can't get my fill reading about them!! We see quite a few around here in the stores, especially Walmart, and some live just a few miles from here. They make beautiful furniture too!! I would have a rough time sitting through one of their services Shocked Old Arthur sure would be giving me fits if I had to sit 3 or more hours in one spot with out moving. lovehearts Norma

The hurrier I go the behinder I get!
http://s632.photobucket.com/albums/uu46/suziq-41/
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:39 am

I'm sorry, but I can't remember if these are books someone has talked about. I just read "A Single Thread" by Marie Bostwick. One of the main characters starts a quilt shop. It's a warm, touching, fun read. I don't know how long a series it will be, but there is a second book coming out in late May which will continue the story of the people in this book.

Jessica - I came close to joining a book club fairly near here - then looked at the list of the next 3 books they were reading and decided not to join. One of my mottos is definitely, "So many books. . .so little time"! I don't want to have to spend time with a book that I'm not that interested in reading. So, maybe you can comfort yourself with that - without a book club, you're the only one deciding what you'll read! :)
Back to top Go down
Jessica

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:14 pm

That is true I can read what I want and find someone to discuss it with later.
Back to top Go down
quiltmom9 AQM9

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:21 pm

QBee....I will let you know once I watch the movie....

Jessica......Have your heard about Shelfari?.....Go to shelfari.com

You can join, it is free....load books that you have read, or would like to read....you can also join online group discussions if you choose...I do not, I just like have some place to log all my books in one spot......
I will try to see if your email is listed on the forum and send you a message....

Back to top Go down
Jessica

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:07 pm

What a great idea!! Thanks for the resource. :lol:
Back to top Go down
memaw4

Number of posts : 9479

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:28 pm

Q is for Quarry by Sue Grafton. Not sure if I'll enjoy this one. I haven't read a lot of her books. This one is a mystery so maybe I'll like it. I hope so anyway.

Kay in SE Ohio
Back to top Go down
iambuzzysma

Number of posts : 1971

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:19 pm

My mystery reading friend couldn't believe I'd never read the Grafton series. I'm on "G for Gumshoe" now - they are great - can't read them fast enuf!! rain
Back to top Go down
memaw4

Number of posts : 9479

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:08 pm

Well, I'm taking Q for Quarry back and going to start with A. But for now I'm onto reading Kathy Reichs..Devil Bones. I've read all of hers in order too. Great Author. I love forenstic thrillers and she writes the best.

memaw4
Back to top Go down
Jessica

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:40 pm

I have read one or two of Patricia Cornwalls...but someitmes it is too graphic for me...
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:05 pm

DH and I watch "Bones" regularly. Often we're eating dinner while we watch and laugh at ourselves for being able to eat and watch "Bones" at the same time! Anyhow, after watching the show since the beginning I just noticed that it's based on the forensic work of Kathy Reichs!! doh And when I searched Kathy Reichs I found out she's an author!! doh doh So, I was thinking about reading her books and after what you said, Memaw, I'm for sure going to!!
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

Number of posts : 2276

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:34 pm

QBee - Mary Ann wrote:
DH and I watch "Bones" regularly. Often we're eating dinner while we watch and laugh at ourselves for being able to eat and watch "Bones" at the same time!!

QBee, the show's not hardly anything like the books except for the name and profession of the main character!!

I love both the show AND the novels, though. I always laugh during the show. My mom doesn't watch it because it's too... uh... juicy (and she's not talking about innuendo). :affraid:

I think of the TV character Bones' face when I start reading the novels, but that quickly gets replaced by the strong characters in the book.

:peek: Not quite apples and oranges, but not nearly oranges and tangerines...

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
iambuzzysma

Number of posts : 1971

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:58 am

I'm both a Kathy Reichs and Bones fan. Read all the books - good stories & you actually learn stuff about archeology etc. I quit reading Patricia Cornwell a few years ago - too graphic & downright evil! I can read bad but not evil!!! I'm not sure I'm going to continue Patterson's Alex Cross series either for the same reasons.
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

Number of posts : 1439
Registration date : 2008-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:51 am

I am bummed! I was listening to Terry Goodkind. I have to say there is nothing good nor kind about his writing. The story is a good one, fantasy, but he gets so graphic in the details about atrocities that the opposing army commits... he goes into such detail about rapes and murders... eww I just could not listen a moment longer. It was awful. I will NOT recommend the "Sword of Truth" series to anyone. I think he almost took pleasure from describing the scenes... I just would not recommend anyone read them. Especially not young men (teens)... they could get the wrong idea!
Back to top Go down
quiltmom9 AQM9

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:35 pm

QBee....I watch the movie "The Secret Lives of Bees"...I liked it.....I think better than the book, but I read the book a few years back.....so it could just be my memory...LOL

I finished reading "Fireside" this morning while soaking in some sunshine on the back deck....
Now I think I might read "Just Breathe" by Susan Wiggs, or "The Quilters Kitchen" by Jennifer Chiaverini or ??????

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Today at 5:16 pm

Back to top Go down

Book I'm Reading
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next