The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage

Share | 

Book I'm Reading

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:17 am

QBee - Mary Ann wrote:
Charal - I'll be waiting to hear how you like 19 Minutes. I haven't read that one yet. Her book "Mercy" is next on my waiting-to-be-read pile.

QBee, just finished Nineteen Minutes.....it was about a high school shooting. Heart wrenching at times......another ending I didn't see coming. She is definitely a real life writer....she has me hooked....I am gonna have to find another one of her books to read.
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

Number of posts : 4205
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:28 am

Charal - That's a great description "a real life writer". I haven't worked up the courage yet to read Nineteen Minutes, because the high school shootings are so troubling, but one of these days I'm going to read it. I'm careful about when I start one of her books. I always have trouble putting them down. Then either I can't fall asleep or I stay up and read the night away so the next day is not good!
Back to top Go down
Krafty Lady

Number of posts : 12603
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:18 pm

I just finished " All Together in One Place " by Jane Kirkpatrick. It was a very good book based on the 1852 Oregon Trail incident, Families traveling to Oregon and California, and the trials they went through to get their. Jane really gets you in the book as though you were there, and you feel their pain and joys too. Very moving. Norma

The hurrier I go the behinder I get!
http://s632.photobucket.com/albums/uu46/suziq-41/
Back to top Go down
hummerlou

Number of posts : 3925

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:49 pm

Still working on "Killer Pancake" by Diane Mott Davidson... might get a couple of pages read every other day or so. :lol:
Back to top Go down
memaw4

Number of posts : 9364

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:06 pm

Just finished Janet Evonavitch's latest book something about 14! I liked it but it wasn't one of her best. Maybe that's why I can't remember the name! doh

Started "Sail" by James Patterson and man I can't hardly put that book down! FANTASTIC. :study:

Going tomorrow back to Berlin (Amish Country) to buy baby fabrics to make up some burial gowns (which will be a gift to our local hospitals) , and baby things I hope to sell later on in a craft show. Anxious to go and see what I can find. My sister is going with me. I love shopping with my older sister. We have a blast. :yahoo:

Have a great week everyone,
memaw4
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 19917

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:58 pm

Memaw I didnt know you made burial gowns, are htey for adults or children? What a wondeful thing to do. Where is the craft show you will be off to? What baby things will you sell?

Im still reading Clive Cussler, think I read a chapter every month or so, sigh, I used to read one or two books a day - ahh but that was back when I had different uses for my time LOL

Number of posts : 1439
Registration date : 2008-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:00 am

Memaw, where do you live? I am in Dayton. I have been to Berlin, though with my MIL and we had a blast. We got so much wonderful fabric from one place and it was CHEAP! I could hardly believe it.
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:01 am

OH, no books right now. I have not been to work in over a week. I do all my reading there...actually it is listening to books on tape but you know what I mean.
Back to top Go down
memaw4

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:05 pm

PrincessKris, I live in a small place called Layman. It's between Marietta and Athens. My sister and I went there today and I spent $111.00 on fabrics.

The place was called Zink's. And your right the fabric is very reasonable.

The zippers for the gowns and sacks (closed bottom gown) were only $1.00 each!

Rick rack is only $0.25 a spool,

lace $0.49-$1.99 per yard.

And it just goes on and on with those kind of bargins. I would have had over $200.00 had I bought this stuff at Jo Ann's.

They had these beautiful lace collars for womens shirts for only.......25 cents! I only bought 2 of those.

Flannel is only $1.99-$4.99 per yard depending on what you get. And they had some beautiful flannel. I got 4 different flannels 1 1/2 yard each to make some little gowns.

They have all kinds of fabric. I could spend a lot of money there! But until I see what folks are willing to spend on baby clothes (that won't fall apart!) I'm not going to buy up a lot of fabric. I'll try it one year and then go from there.

I make baby sacks, gowns, dresses, and little boys rompers and will be at a craft show in Parkersburg, WV next fall. (my first) It's sponcered by Ohio Valley University a Christian college. It's only about 25 miles away from where I live.

The burial gowns are only for preemies, small and medium size babies. I contacted our local hospital (we only have 4!) about making them but so far the person I need to talk to hasn't called me back. Soooooo I didn't buy any fabric for the gowns today. I figure I can get that anytime.

PrincessKris, we'll have to meet up there sometime and shop! That's how I met OhioQuilter. She was on the Fons and Porter forum and we got to talking and met and now we're great friends. I try to stop and see her on my way to Columbus when I'm going up to spend time with my daughter and her family. OhioQuilter lives near Lancaster.

hugs,
memaw4
Back to top Go down
iambuzzysma

Number of posts : 1956
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:58 pm

Sail by Patterson was one of the best books I've read lately. BUT I just finished the first book - Twilight - in the teen vampire series. It was GREAT!!! Can't wait to get the next one. I also just discovered a series by Mary Ann Evans about a radical archeologist in the south. The first book was Artifact. LOVED IT!!
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:11 am

Hey IABM! Who wrote that Twilight????? I wanted to see if I can find it on tape. Everyone says that it is great and I love vampire stories, soooooo I want to give it a try! :yahoo:
Back to top Go down
Krafty Lady

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:43 am

Just finished " Painted Dresses " by Patricia Hickman. It was a pretty good book, kept me wondering what was going to happen next. It was about two grown sisters that were noting alike and needed to find out about their lives as children, they knew things had been kept from them, but parents dead so they went on a venture to find the answers themselves. lovehearts Norma

Back to top Go down
memaw4

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:55 pm

Iambuzzysma, I'm gonna fly :fantasy-witch- online to the library and check out Artifact. I love a good mystery.

Sail was the best so far of his I do believe.

Painted Dresses sounds great too. Better check that one out while I'm there. I'll also check out Twlight for you PrincessKris.

I love doing these things in my jammies!!

lmao
memaw4
Back to top Go down
iambuzzysma

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:00 pm

Did you find them memaw? Twilight is by Stephenie Meyer.

Don't think I mentioned that I also read Sunday at Tiffany's also by James Patterson. Not a mystery & a little offbeat but excellent.

Today I checked out Damage Control, the latest Joanna Brady from J.A.Jance and the infamous The Kite Runner - that's on CD so I should be set for awhile.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:21 am

Seems I can't get away from Picoult..just finished My Sister's Keeper. I really enjoyed this book too......brought me to tears twice while reading it.
Back to top Go down
iambuzzysma

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:14 am

Finished "Kite Runner" - wished I hadn't read it - too much violence (that was most likely TRUE) - made me sick to my stomach. That's one movie I definitely WON'T see. big sigh
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:03 am

Buzzy's mom - Yes, the people in "Kite Runner" live in a violent world. We're so lucky to live where we do. I also read "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by the same author. My MIL (who's in her early 80's) gave me "Splendid Suns" for Christmas. She had already read it and loved it. In fact, she said as soon as she read the last page she started over and read it a second time. It, too, has such violence and horror, but it also has such love, spirit, and hope.

Charal - I know what you mean. Picoult really grabs you and pulls you into her books. Although, I just read "Mercy" and actually didn't care for it. Lots of it was downright boring, and the story wasn't real gripping. I'm going to make a list of Picoult's books that I haven't read and check which ones I have waiting to read, so I can look for the ones I've missed.
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:15 pm

Thanks for the info! I have put in my request on the Library's website for all of her books on tape so I will be good for some time!
Back to top Go down
Krafty Lady

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:09 pm

Just finished " Hannah's Dream " by Jerry Eicher. It was , as all her books are another good read about the amish familys sure ended different than I thought it would. I never get tired reading stories about the Amish, and must say I have great respect for their great ties to their families, every one works where ever needed plus keeping their own up too. lovehearts Norma

Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13223

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:06 am

I just bought the book Alzhiemer's Forgetting Piece by Piece... Its a book of quilts made by family and friends of Alzhiemer 's members with unique little stories.... the quilts are stunning and the stories are sad.. My MIL died of Alzhiemer....Its always very hard watching them forget everything and everyone...

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:20 am

Golo - I have that book, too. I've talked before about my mom dying of Alzheimer's. I take "Forgetting Piece by Piece" out and look at it again every once in awhile. So much of it is tender and touching, and even though sad it kind of gives me the warm fuzzies. I try to be a little involved in Ami Simm's Alzheimer's Quilt Initiative. It's too late for my mom (and grandma, and aunts and uncles), but maybe the research will someday help others or me.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 19917

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:12 pm

Im still reading my clive cussler, just about finished, spied a new one in the book store, that will make me speed up LOL. I got a great vege garden book just for tasmania, cant wait to pick it over. Also have another new book called The Gone Away World, looked interesteing and was a deal. Bought a calendar for DH for xmas nd when I went to pay the girl said 'as you spent over $20 you can choose any item off the back wall for only $7" so I took a look, there were cook books, cd sets, all kinds of things. One big fat book caught my eye, I asked to look at it, sounded different so I bought it, its the gone away world one LOL, anyway I paid the $7 for it and its price normally was $38.95 so I reckon I got a deal any way I look at it LOL

Number of posts : 13223

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:33 pm

sounds like you have some good reading there, Gimpy.... I should find more time for reading beside magazines... I read lots of those....

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
Marian

Number of posts : 4980

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:30 am

Golo, thanks for the name of the book about Alzhiemers. Going to find it and really would like to read it. Never heard of it before. I work with Alzhiemer patients and really enjoy it. Can't wait to read the book now!
Norma, I like reading about the amish as well. Just started a book called The Brides of Webster County, it's four books in one, it's about the amish as well. My daughter got it for me. So far, it's a good read!

Marian in Ohio
Back to top Go down
Anita M.

Number of posts : 6214

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:56 am

Just finished Foul Play by Janet Evanoviich. It is one of her early romance novels. It is kinda a screwball comedy. Very light reading! Went to the library yesterday and got 3 more dog mysteries by Laurien Berensen. I bet a bunch of you guys would love her! anitas
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Today at 9:33 pm

Back to top Go down

Book I'm Reading
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next