The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage

Share | 

Deep Mid Winter Sew a Long-Mar 2011

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Deep Mid Winter Sew a Long-Mar 2011   Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:52 pm

Okay I hope you all are saving this pattern for a sew a long in March 2011..that is the longest month of the year and when we need a quickie...in projects.
I am suggesting that we all make this lovely quilt together I think it would be wonderful for us to hand our quilts come Christmas of 2011 and remember the time we had sewing it together
I think if we did it on a bi-weekly basis there would be no pressures on anyone to hurry we want to enjoy the process this would also help those that have not pieced stars, appliqued before for questions we can help each other and make this our memory quilt for the year together

Betweens (needing one more project to do)
Golo (to keep us inspired)
Gimpy (great way to get the mojo revving)
Hummerlou (rah rah!! great enthusiasm)
FiberBabble (I think she may have it done before us..LOL)
QuilterMarynel (a good possibility)
Meemaw (creativity is calling)
Mamu (seeking inspired quilters)
TxMary (ready to take on the world)
Redwork (keeping the fires burning)
Redmadder (organizing which project goes with which)
HennyPenny (loving the banter)
Who else would like to do a sew along by making your own memory quilt

http://applewd.com/BOM/page1.html
[img][/img]

Last edited by betweens on Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:41 am; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : adding names..need more)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deep Mid Winter Sew a Long-Mar 2011   Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:57 pm

I know one this is for sure I will be changing those purple things to berries...
I just love the snowflakes and I wouldn`t mind adding another Cardinal in that leaf on the right...change the colors and put a female cardinal in there they are just as beautiful to me as the male..
Back to top Go down
memaw4

Number of posts : 9361
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Deep Mid Winter Sew a Long-Mar 2011   Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:06 pm

OK count me in too betweens. This sounds like fun.

I've been downloading all the blocks so far. I just have this coming Monday to do yet.

I think those purple things will have to go also. I love purple, but on this it just doesn't look the best. It's a winter scene and that to me means red berries.

I really like the idea of a blue jay. I'll have to go through all my pattern to see what kind of birds I have. I may just have to go with the cardinal.
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13223
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Deep Mid Winter Sew a Long-Mar 2011   Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:02 pm

did you notice in the center on the top and bottom the blue fabrics have lines in them whereas the rest are pretty smooth.... do you think there is a reason for that??

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

Number of posts : 2251
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Deep Mid Winter Sew a Long-Mar 2011   Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:18 pm

golo wrote:
did you notice in the center on the top and bottom the blue fabrics have lines in them whereas the rest are pretty smooth.... do you think there is a reason for that??

I don't think so, Golo. I think it's just the nature of the her graphics program probably.

I'm looking forward to trying the interesting way the snowflakes are put together.

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

Number of posts : 11374

PostSubject: Re: Deep Mid Winter Sew a Long-Mar 2011   Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:42 pm

It soundes like fun, but I've no idea what I will be up to by then.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deep Mid Winter Sew a Long-Mar 2011   Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:04 am

it may be a fabric choice just to give a little texture even there are so many to choose from Golo.

Quiltermarynel..so I can just put a maybe beside your name it is something to look forward to...a blue jay is lovely as well but I would change the background colors to different tones of light greens maybe for the evergreen effect so you don`t loose your blue jay. I know there is a beautiful pattern in a block of month by Rosemary Makham if you have her patterns (canadian designer) If you want I will check and see if I have one as well...

Tracy I a can`t wait to use those snowflakes as well. I can see them used in another quilting design latter in the future...
Back to top Go down
memaw4

PostSubject: Re: Deep Mid Winter Sew a Long-Mar 2011   Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:32 am

I was thinking of changing the colors to maybe fall? Would that be OK? I mean they don't have to stay blue do they?
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Deep Mid Winter Sew a Long-Mar 2011   Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:36 am

Memaw4, its your quilt you can choose any color you like.... this should really be fun with a few of you changing the colors and birds... I like the way it is and will do it as the pattern calls for...

Golo

Back to top Go down
Mamu

Number of posts : 4566
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Deep Mid Winter Sew a Long-Mar 2011   Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:46 am

this might be fun to do together.... love seeing what everyone chooses for colors, birds and flowers..could get a completely different look Very Happy

Laura living in NW Montana

<<< "Quilter's share a common thread" >>>
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts : 9475

PostSubject: Re: Deep Mid Winter Sew a Long-Mar 2011   Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:50 am

I am pretty sure insanity runs in my family so I guess I am in. I hope I have enough blues for the background.

OMG. look at all those points. I must be crazy. Thud

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deep Mid Winter Sew a Long-Mar 2011   Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:45 am

The joy of working on this quilt is that we can make it our own personality and it would be great to see what each individual will come up with.
I think this pattern has so much potential even though the designer has done 3 previously this is the one that caught my attention. I think Fiberbabble has 2 of the designs done if I am not mistaken...they are on your blog right??

Glad Txmary that you think the points are going to be the hardest we will all pitch in with any advise to get you through that hurdle. I think the blues are goin to be the hardest to pick for the background especially when there is so much to choose from..

memaw your fall colors will only accentuate that lovely cardinal

and Mamu can`t wait to see what design you come up with you may have some helpful tips for us on doing points since I have seen your quilts with zillions of points...

Last edited by betweens on Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hummerlou

Number of posts : 3921

PostSubject: Re: Deep Mid Winter Sew a Long-Mar 2011   Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:10 am

Sounds like a lot of fun!

TxMary, you will do fine, one star at a time! Let me know if you need help, I'll do what I can.

Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 19916

PostSubject: Re: Deep Mid Winter Sew a Long-Mar 2011   Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:26 pm

TxMary I looked at all those points and shivered too LOL Its good to be mad together, encourage each others insanity, thats what friends are for!!!!

I dont like the purple flowers either and thought it needed red berries and perhaps another bird, wondered about a golden one, just cant think of the name of the one I can see in my head but a female cardinal would be lovely too, they sure are pretty.

Id love to see it done in fall colours, that would be pretty, looking forward to watching that one come along

Number of posts : 11374

PostSubject: Re: Deep Mid Winter Sew a Long-Mar 2011   Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:53 pm

Memaw, I was thinking of doing it in greens with dogwood flowers. My view is always: my quilt, my choice.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deep Mid Winter Sew a Long-Mar 2011   Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:19 pm

I wouldn't attempt this as I am not a good enough piecer but I have a question. Isn't it supposed to be Snowflakes ? if so and you change it to an autumn or a green background , what then are the stars ? They then wouldn't be snowflakes would they ? and what colour would you then do them ? Just interested ! LOL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deep Mid Winter Sew a Long-Mar 2011   Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:08 am

HP never say your not good enough, we all start out as beginners and grow with each project. If you would love to make this quilt we are all here to help with questions. I am hoping when we do this I can post some pictures on some tutorials of what I do to make my blocks and I hope that the other more experienced can do the same.
It is a group effort something like a guild sew bee where we all get together for a day and make a project together.

my suggestion would be to make maple leaves rather than snow flakes that would be really pretty there is a free pattern for maple leaves on Quilters Cachehttp://www.quilterscache.com

or you can just change the colors of the stars to fall colors the joy of the quilting world is being able to change your world into anything you want...purple elephants, pink kangaroos, orange hippo`s quilters see their quilts through rose colored glasses...
Back to top Go down
redwork

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Deep Mid Winter Sew a Long-Mar 2011   Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:19 pm

I love this quilt pattern maybe I will try to do it with you. But I have alot of quilts to finish first. My daughters which is "Outside of the Box" in browns, grays, blacks. A purple quilt for Jill and a quilt for Sauder's Quilt show in April. Then I have the blocks for the swap here and several quilts to sew on a bindings.
Maybe I will try to find time to do it with you all.
So count me in
Redwork
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 19916

PostSubject: Re: Deep Mid Winter Sew a Long-Mar 2011   Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:14 am

Oh glad you are joining us Redwork, its nice to sew together again, been a while hasnt it for you and I?

Henny Penny never say you arent good enough, thats the whole point, by doing it together the inexperienced can be helped by the experienced, its a chance to work and learn together. I think if I did it in spring or fall colours it would simply be a scrappy star quilt with applique overlay, I like the idea of it with dogwood flowers, hmmmm I have a whole dogwood garden planted here!! Brings back memories of horse riding through the dogwood forests of the Ozark Mts adn they are wonderful memories too

PostSubject: Re: Deep Mid Winter Sew a Long-Mar 2011   Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:41 am

Gimpy it isn't a that I am inexperienced it is just that I find it hard doing so many pieces in the one block ! My first priority this year is finishing what I have going and making some of what is waiting to be done . The only new thing I am starting is something I have already purchased ! Plus I also have to do my part in making a birthday quilt for a member of my friendship group. I have to do a lot more than my share on it actually and I really must get drawing up the blocks that I have to do and two more for others in the group. When they are all finished and handed in I have to decide how to put them together and how to make an extra block as fill in to make up the numbers , sew it together and find backing and quilt it
Back to top Go down
redmadder

Number of posts : 3369

PostSubject: Re: Deep Mid Winter Sew a Long-Mar 2011   Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:48 am

I'm in. Today my sewing table will get cleared, the machine threaded and oiled, oiled and threaded that is, a bin of fabric laid out. Let's see, must get fabric sheets that will go through the printer, oh wait, that's the signature project. First things first, get that swap project done, then March is on!
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Deep Mid Winter Sew a Long-Mar 2011   Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:00 am

Hey, we are starting this year off with a bang.... We have our Signature Quilt blocks to do (oops mine are done Very Happy ) .... We have our BOM to look forward.... and a Mid Winter Sew a long...(which I am excitedly looking forward too) Hey gals, I think we are going to have a great year.............

Golo

Back to top Go down
memaw4

PostSubject: Re: Deep Mid Winter Sew a Long-Mar 2011   Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:54 pm

OK, when do we start on this quilt? I'm a gettin` ants in my pants!

I go to my DD in Columbus January 9th and I'll be doing some shopping while there for the "perfect" fabric for this quilt.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Deep Mid Winter Sew a Long-Mar 2011   Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:26 pm

I had earmarked Mar as the start time but you can start when you like just thought it would give everyone incentive to work on a project together..
Memaw show us what you pick out for fabrics would love to see them...
Back to top Go down
memaw4

PostSubject: Re: Deep Mid Winter Sew a Long-Mar 2011   Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:28 am

March is a perfect time to start betweens. That will give me plenty of shopping time to pick out the right fabrics. I'm very picky and tend to change my mind in the middle of the stream! Anyone else do that?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Deep Mid Winter Sew a Long-Mar 2011   Today at 4:37 am

Back to top Go down

Deep Mid Winter Sew a Long-Mar 2011
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next