The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage

Share | 

Mistakes Made in 2011 and How We Fixed It

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Luvsquilting

Number of posts : 2736
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Mistakes Made in 2011 and How We Fixed It   Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:39 pm

I decided this would be a good place to put this topic...Hints, Tips, Advice. I thought maybe if we posted our mistakes, we could learn from others.

Mistake: Wrong binding on a table runner.
I made 2 table runners for my mom. One is Christmas fabric and the other can be used the remainder of the year. I put the binding on the Christmas one and was 95% completed and realized I put the binding intended for the other one on the Christmas one. Both have green in them, so put the green binding on the Christmas one. It should have been red binding.

Solution: I cut the binding off and now the border is just a little narrower. Have to go buy about 1/4 yard more of the binding fabric to finish up on the other runner.
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Mistakes Made in 2011 and How We Fixed It   Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:04 pm

I can't tell you how many needles i have broken using my 1/4 foot. For some reason my machine default needle position is left which means if you don't move it to center and start to sew you land on the metal part of the foot. I now put a scrap of paper under the foot when I stop sewing so when I return the paper is a reminder to set my needle.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 19924
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Mistakes Made in 2011 and How We Fixed It   Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:34 pm

Ahhh CC thats a great idea, I have the exact same problem, you just solved it for me!!! Thank you!!

Great topic idea Luvs, sorry you put the wrong binding on, aughhhh. We can add to this as we come up with clever ways to remedy stuff!

Number of posts : 11393

PostSubject: Re: Mistakes Made in 2011 and How We Fixed It   Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:19 am

That would drive me crazy, and is hard on the machine, as well as needles and your comfort level. Good thinking.

I have had 3 times so far this year when I have decided to forget an unproductive and silly idea, then redo things more sensibly. Two were giving up on irrational quilting plans (different quilts). This may be a theme for me this year....looking again at my plans, rethinking and getting on with stuff.. The basic idea is to figure out why it ISN'T working, backtrack then go on.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Mistakes Made in 2011 and How We Fixed It   Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:09 am

I have had a problem with seams parting on some of my quilts, I decided perhaps my stitch length was too long and not close enough apart to handle the constant washing and drying these quilts cop, especially lauras bed ones. I hope this fixes the problem, getting sick of repairing, any thoughts?

PostSubject: Re: Mistakes Made in 2011 and How We Fixed It   Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:36 am

Gimpy re your seams parting . Your tension isn't too loose is it ? I have had to stick a note to myself on my machine. The thread carrier folds down when the machine is covered so it has to be raised again when you start sewing the next time. I could never remember to do this ! so I have resorted to leaving a note for myself. OMG it is my mother all over ....she used to leave reminder notes for herself all over the house Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Luvsquilting

PostSubject: Re: Mistakes Made in 2011 and How We Fixed It   Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:12 am

Marynel, I know what you mean. I'll get a big idea for a quilt, buy the pattern, buy all the fabric and then it sits in a bin and when I rethink, I realize I will NEVER make that quilt.

Chris, I typically forget I have the quarter inch foot on and try to zig-zag. Dang another broken needle.
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13223

PostSubject: Re: Mistakes Made in 2011 and How We Fixed It   Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:35 am

I bought a box of 1000 needles because my biggest problem is forgetting to change my foot when I am going to zigzag........ Thud

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts : 9484

PostSubject: Re: Mistakes Made in 2011 and How We Fixed It   Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:26 am

I made one of Golo's easy table runners (well made several but only buggered up one of them) which do not need binding. I had a LOT of stuff on the cutting table and was just kinda shoving things around as I worked. I nicked the edge of the tablerunner by accident with the rotary cutter. So I added a binding to fix it.

I also cleaned up the cutting table. doh

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13223

PostSubject: Re: Mistakes Made in 2011 and How We Fixed It   Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:58 pm

I totally understand that one, Txm... I now have 3 cutting areas and a portable round cutting matt to lay on my ironing board... uuummm.

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Mistakes Made in 2011 and How We Fixed It   Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:27 pm

Henny Penny wrote:
Gimpy re your seams parting . Your tension isn't too loose is it ? I have had to stick a note to myself on my machine. The thread carrier folds down when the machine is covered so it has to be raised again when you start sewing the next time. I could never remember to do this ! so I have resorted to leaving a note for myself. OMG it is my mother all over ....she used to leave reminder notes for herself all over the house Embarassed

lmao lmao I must have your mothers disease too, I have taken to leaving notes everywhere too but my mum doesnt do it lol!

The machine, tension is fine, I have checked that before, I suspect that even thought I cant sew clothes etc to save myself that when mum taught me to sew, I made a dress that she taught me to use a more open wider stitch setting which I have never thought to change. I think with quilting the stitches need to be smaller and tighter together, does that sound right?
Back to top Go down
Luvsquilting

PostSubject: Re: Mistakes Made in 2011 and How We Fixed It   Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:51 pm

I usually use 2.5 stitch length, but I think I really should change it to 2.0 for quilting. Just a little tighter would be better.
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269

PostSubject: Re: Mistakes Made in 2011 and How We Fixed It   Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:30 pm

I piece at 2.5 and quilt at 3.0 All machines may not be universal.
Back to top Go down
Mamu

Number of posts : 4566
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Mistakes Made in 2011 and How We Fixed It   Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:16 am

mistakes?? and how we fixed them??.... lets just say my garbage man's wife is very happy
lol!

Laura living in NW Montana

<<< "Quilter's share a common thread" >>>
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mistakes Made in 2011 and How We Fixed It   Today at 5:51 pm

Back to top Go down

Mistakes Made in 2011 and How We Fixed It
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1