The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage

Share | 

What books sit in your stack right now?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 19924
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: What books sit in your stack right now?   Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:42 am

I just wondered, what books are sitting in your reading stack right now, be ithat stack beside the bed, beside your chair or on the coffee table? Do you keep or end up with a stack of books? I always seem to have them stacked around the house.

On the coffee table are two gardening ones & national geographics best ever photographs

Beside the bed: Chickenhawk by Robert Mason
Unscathed by Major Phil Ashby
Dead To The World by Charlaine Harris
The Stress Of Her Regard by Tim Powers
Shakespears Landlord by Charlaine Harris
Stormwatcher by Lilith Saintcrow
Christmas with Southern Living

On the couch: The Routledge Dictionary of Gods & Godesses, Devils & Demons
Gardening with Kids

On the kitchen counter: Jarhead
All You Can Eat Garden Guide

Sewing room has various quilt mags and books on the counter. Hmmmmm Undesided thinking we are book piggy household, DH also has stacks around the place as does Laura!! :readingsmilie:
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

Number of posts : 2252
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: What books sit in your stack right now?   Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:11 am

Holy Cow.

Do I have stacks. Oh, yes, most certainly I do. Try to control your gasps of shock and awe.

Dining Room:
Pardonable Lies/Winspear
City of Glass/Clare
The Raw Shark Texts/Hall
The Nature of Design/Colvin
Cooking Round the Clock/Ray
Whimsies & Whynots/Weidman
Sock Innnovation/Cookie A.
Birds of a Feather/Winspear
The Diplomacy of Wolves/Lisle
Staying Dead/Gilman
Rock & Roll Homicide/McDonnell
Something From the Nightside/Green

Nest (by my comfy chair):
Feasting on Asphalt/Brown
Good Eats: The Middle Years/Brown
The 60 Second Procrastinator/Davidson
Born to Shop Cross-Stitch Patterns/Leisure Arts
3-Ring Binder with 4-5 Knitting Magazines
A Little Book of Language/Crystal
Fabric Picture Books/Marston
The Sweet Potato Queens' Big Ass Cookbook (and Financial Planner)/Browne
Interweave Crochet Summer 2010
Blended Quilt Backgrounds/Biddick
French Girl Knits/Griffin-Grimes
American Quilter Summer 2007
Machine Quilting Unlimited Winter 2008
Mother Plays with Dolls/Peace Bailey
Square Foot Gardening/Bartholomew

Bedside:
Liberated Quiltmaking/Marston
Pattern Play/Speckman
Isometric Perspective/Pasquini-Masopust
Advanced Sudoku and Kakuro/Thomas
Convection Oven Cookery/Katona
Living with Ghosts/Sperring
Caffeine for the Creative Mind/Oldfield
Making Memories/Briarwood Cottage
The Elusive Mrs. Pollifax/Gilman
Never After/Lickiss
Four sudoku books
3 journals
Creating Extraordinary Beads from Ordinary Materials/Casey

Remember, we have multiple bookcases in every room of the house except the bathrooms.

Apparently we don't have ENOUGH, though!

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13223

PostSubject: Re: What books sit in your stack right now?   Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:14 am

whats wrong with the bathroom... best place to read... lmao

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
memaw4

Number of posts : 9376
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: What books sit in your stack right now?   Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:29 am

Excellent Golo. At least it's private! AND hopefully no one will bother you!
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What books sit in your stack right now?   Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:19 pm

We too have multiple bookcases all through the house, lauras is overflowing in her room, there is a stack of photography and australian geographic magazines in the bathroom and the dining room has more books I didnt list LOL. Im so glad others have stacks too!

Number of posts : 4990

PostSubject: Re: What books sit in your stack right now?   Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:14 am

DH is the book hoarder in our house. He has way too many books to count. He rarely if ever will pay full price for a book. Always goes to book sales at the library and such. Gwennie has found some good finds at those sales as well. I have two bookcases with books in my sewing room, one large one and one small. Just went through them over the weekend actually because we moved the bookcase. Found two books I had doubles of and a lot I haven't read yet. Need to get busy on that! Have a lot of quilting book etc. Thinking of selling a few actually. We'll see.

Marian in Ohio
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What books sit in your stack right now?   Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:55 pm

Books are such precious treasures, hmmm the stack on my bedside table went down because I just took a dozen books back to the library yesterday but whats around here at the moment?

Kitchen counter - blue ribbon preserves
shakespears trollop
the magic school bus (laura's)
big cat dreaming (laura)
grug (laura)
cuddliest cuddle in the world (laura)
On Combat - just got it for my bday, yay!!!

Dining Table Debbie Mumm quick quilts
Gardening Australia magazine

Coffee Table 10 x cookbooks mum gave me when I was at her place
9 x world books (I cleaned the coffee table off yesterday, there was most likely another 30 books on there I put away LOL)

Floor next to the couch 15 x world book encyclopedias (DH bought a set home from school and I havent yet found a home for them!

Couch Quilts, a history of american quilts

Tea trolley gardening australia magazine
how to attract frogs to your garden
mother earth news magazine

Bedroom 9 novels
diary which I never remember to write in anyway
2 quilt magazines

Antique meat safe in kitchen 3 gardening books
2 of my garden notebooks
2 garden magazines

Sewing room is clear of books because I tidied it up last night and put them all away LOL

Bathroom British - Napoleonic Ship Of the Line (DH's book)

Laura's room 13 assorted books piled on her bedside chest of drawers and 4 world book encyclopedias on the floor beside said chest of drawers

Entry table - two novels, the hobbit and catcher in the rye

Shocked and to think I cleaned sooooooooooooo much up yesterday LOL

Number of posts : 4344
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: What books sit in your stack right now?   Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:36 pm

My sister loaned me two day, one is by Thomas Kinkade, the latest in his Cape Light series, I also have the Jan Karon book At Home in Mitford, and I am finally trying a recorded book--The Sugar Camp Quilt. I've not enjoyed recorded books before but this one I've been able to follow. I think I have the attention span of an 8-year old and I get so distracted with recorded books. Anyway, so far so good.

As a retired librarian, Helen, it warms my heart to think of a home full of books. I stopped at my library last Saturday and just wandered around looking at books. Lots of people don't understand the value of books and the enrichment reading gives our lives. Oh well, off the soapbox Jill.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What books sit in your stack right now?   Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:27 pm

Oh Jill I didnt know you were a librarian, you'd be comfy in our house then (& FiberBabbles for sure LOL) we have a constant stack of books all over the place and our book cases are stacked groaning and even on top of them and we are trying to work out where we can fit another one into fit the encyclopedia set LOL. Let alone what laura and I borrow from the library, Tim knows us well there. I sit over a cuppa and crawl the online catalogue and choose books, can spend happy hours doing that searching genres, authors etc. Often I pull a title on amazon then follow the links under it where it says "others who liked this also liked such and such" I find lots of new authors that way

PostSubject: Re: What books sit in your stack right now?   Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:31 pm

I am reading Ocean Waves... a murder mystery at a quilt retreat... Next book will be a more serious one called Sold...

Golo

Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What books sit in your stack right now?   Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:15 pm

who is ocean waves by Golo? Mum is looking for books to read

PostSubject: Re: What books sit in your stack right now?   Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:54 am

Terri Thayer... its a series of 3.... Wild Goose Chase, Old Maids Puzzle and Ocean Waves... very enjoyable to read...

Golo

Back to top Go down
Linda 2B

Number of posts : 3328

PostSubject: Re: What books sit in your stack right now?   Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:11 am

I have a couple of bookcases full of books but don't have them around the house. I usally put them away when I'm done with them.
But on my nightstand I currently have The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan.
It's the first in a series of 3. I've read it once but the second book took so long coming out I'm reading it again. I also have The second in the series on my nightstand it is titled The Fall.
It is a vampire story but written very well and more likea mystery then your run of the mill vamp book.

Oh! I do have my EQ7 book and a threadpainting book on my nightstand, too!
Back to top Go down
Jill

Number of posts : 4344
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: What books sit in your stack right now?   Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:22 am

Yep, I worked as a librarian. Bad part is I worked on the administrative end of it, as business manager and director. Many times I would have rather been working the reference desk or reading to children than meeting with another board member about some piece of nonsense.

I have started reading series during the last year or so and I'm always looking for another one to start, so I appreciate some of the mentions made on here. I too use Amazon the same way GC. That's why I've started the Mitford series by Jan Karon; it's an older one but it's new to me.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What books sit in your stack right now?   Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:13 pm

Linda thats a series I have been wanting to read, Guillermo del Toro is such a funny guy when you see him interviewed. You have reminded me to check my library catalogue - oh just did and they have his books so I put a request for the first one! Ta, I was about to run short of books LOL

PostSubject: Re: What books sit in your stack right now?   Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:04 pm

Let me know what you think Gimpy.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What books sit in your stack right now?   Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:33 pm

will do Linda, are you enjoying them?

PostSubject: Re: What books sit in your stack right now?   Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:39 am

Yes I'm reading the first book again before I start the second.
Back to top Go down
Krafty Lady

Number of posts : 12609

PostSubject: Re: What books sit in your stack right now?   Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:25 pm

I'm about done with State Fair by Earlene Fowler

Just finished:

Rebecca's Promise & Rebecca's Return by Jerry Eicher

A Place of Peace by Amy Clipson

The Search by Suzanne Woods Fisher

Have yet to read:

Paradise Valley By Dale Cramer

An Amish Christmas Christmas by Cynthia Keller

A Dream For Heather and A Hope For Hannah by Jerry S. Eicher

The Promise of Morning by Ann Shorey

Plus I have four book cases of books of my own not counting all the sewing and quilting

books, so I have quite a few too. Smitten Norma

The hurrier I go the behinder I get!
http://s632.photobucket.com/albums/uu46/suziq-41/
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What books sit in your stack right now?   Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:03 pm

wow Norma you are busy, do you read as much in summer as winter? We need to buy another bookcase, have a corner I can fit a narrow upright one in the lounge room, should take the encylopedia set

PostSubject: Re: What books sit in your stack right now?   Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:53 am

I only read at night in bed until I get sleepy. Would love to read more but eyes give me fits at times, so just when ever. Love to get the big print when I can, can read it much faster and doesn't seem to bother my eyes as much. Love the Amish, knitting and quilting and cat mysteries. Also Earlene Fowler can't write enough for me, love her style. I can't get out much when it's too cold or too hot, so I think it is probably about the same. The other factor is the eyes, and it helps me relax for bed. I have a SIL that reads every time she takes a break from things during the day, is that what you do too??? Smitten Norma

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What books sit in your stack right now?   Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:05 pm

Well, I grew up having problems reading so never read. But when I learned to read, I think it was also because nothing interested me so harder to learn to read.
Once I learned, I loved it and have lots of books. When I moved out here 6 yrs ago, I took 5 boxes to goodwill. Once in a while a few to charities that come around for stuff, after they are read of course.
I have lots of cookbooks, Church books, Box Car Kids, crafts, mysteries. Two bookcases full, one with cookbooks at bottom only, a shelve in kitchen with some, boxes in garage...
Years ago, I bought a book on Poland, forgot I had it and found one on sale, bought it. Then when one of my aunts died I was sent the same book, so now have 3.

Ray wanted to buy me the Nook, but I got a lap top instead for Chirstmas. But now that I know about the Nook, it will be next.

As for reading in bathroom, it smells and I just want OUT!! lmao
Back to top Go down
Anita M.

Number of posts : 6218

PostSubject: Re: What books sit in your stack right now?   Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:38 pm

Hey Norma, Earlene Fowler has another one out, May 3!

At present I have a couple of library books, one by Larurien Berenson and one by Sharyn McCrumb. Berenson writes dog mysteries and I like her better. DSIL lent me the Union Quilter by Jennifer Chiaverini and I lent hewr a new one by Arlene Sachitano - Quily by Association. I thought that one was pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Krafty Lady

PostSubject: Re: What books sit in your stack right now?   Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:15 pm

Anita, that one is " Spider web" and she is working on " The Cattle Singer" which is a spin off of " Saddlemakers Wife". Had a devil of a time finding the right place on Facebook to click on " Like " for her like her publisher wants us to do. Finally found the right spot though. I told her she didn't write fast enough for me , I love her books. Said she's getting ready to do taxes, but hers is hard with her taking all those trips for book signings etc. Smitten Norma

Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

Number of posts : 2252
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: What books sit in your stack right now?   Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:26 pm

I've read a couple of Sharyn McCrumb's books, but probably not the one you've got, Anita Very Happy

Unless, of course, you've got Bimbos of the Death Sun or Zombies of the Gene Pool...

?

lol!

(The new Sherlock Holmes anthology looks interesting, though. I'll have to check it out!)

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What books sit in your stack right now?   Today at 4:14 pm

Back to top Go down

What books sit in your stack right now?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next