The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wishing you all a Happy and Peaceful Holiday Season

Share | 

Gluten Free

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Schnookies Gluten Free Chocolate Cake   Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:42 am

This turned out great for me......I doubled the recipe and used a bundt pan. I chose to make an orange glaze instead of chocolate. Thanks Schnookie!

G-Free Chocolate Cake

Vegetable-oil cooking spray
1 cup warm water or 1 cup coffee
1/2 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups Brown Rice flour
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sunflower oil
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar

FOR THE GLAZE
2 ounces dark chocolate (preferably at least 70 percent cacao), finely chopped
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons water

Directions
For the cake: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat an 8-inch round cake pan with spray.
Whisk water and cocoa in a small bowl until smooth.
Combine Rice flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl, and make a well in center. Add cocoa mixture, oil, and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.
Whisk in vinegar. Pour into pan.

Bake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Run a knife around edge of cake, invert it onto rack, and turn cake right side up. Let cool completely. Transfer cake to a serving plate or a cake stand.

For the glaze: Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over simmering water, stirring until smooth. Let cool slightly.
Whisk together sugar and water until smooth. Add melted chocolate in a slow, steady stream, whisking until thickened, about 1 minute. Immediately pour glaze onto center of cooled cake. Using an offset spatula, gently spread glaze over top and sides. Cake can be stored at room temperature for up to 2 days.
Schnookie

Number of posts : 1928

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free   Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:39 pm

Man O Live that looks yummmie! How did you make the orange glaze? and being in a Bundt pan how long did you cook it? Great pic CC Thumbup thanks for sharing it.
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13244
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free   Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:44 pm

nummy nummy

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free   Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:42 pm

I baked it at 350 for about 35 minutes I think.
Orange glaze, powdered sugar, juice of one orange, orange zest, mix and drizzle.
Tomorrow is the birthday gathering, I froze the cake so will take it out in the morning to thaw.
Back to top Go down
Schnookie

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free   Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:39 pm

Oh, that is interesting, I have never fozzen cake before. Hope it is good, please let us know how everything goes for the celebration! Have fun at your Aunts birthday party!
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 20333

PostSubject: Gluten Free Recipes   Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:44 pm

Thought a place for gluten free recipes might be good, some members I know need them and I came across this one and thought of sharing it, its by an australian author Jackie French

Fabia’s Biscuits

Note: A gluten-free and totally delicious biscuit that is far better for you than most packaged cereal, using protein- and calcium-rich raw ground almonds instead of flour
Until a couple of hundred years ago ground nuts were used to make many biscuits and cakes, as well as to thicken sauces. But as wheat flour became cheaper, and societies became affluent enough to buy products from far away instead of using the nuts from their back gardens, ground nut recipes gave way to flour ones.
Which is a pity. Even if you aren’t gluten intolerant, ground nuts add richness without butter or other cholesterol-rich fats, and moisture too.
This is a new recipe, made to welcome Fabia and her friends down last week for their dyeing workshop. It’s crisp and crunchy, but slightly chewy inside too, with just the best hint of chocolate.
Note: Can't give exact measurements as egg whites vary in size, even when the eggs are the same size.

Ingredients:
2 egg whites
2 tbsps caster sugar
8 tbsps ground almonds or more if the mixture seems sloppy
8 tbsps very finely chopped dried pineapple and dried cherries or cranberries
2 level tbsps grated dark chocolate — I use a sugar-free 80% cooking chocolate, too bitter to eat by itself.

Preheat oven to 200º C.
Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
Beat egg whites till stiff. Beat in sugar till it dissolves.
Gently mix in other ingredients.
Scoop out teaspoonsful onto the two days, a few cms apart – these don't spread much.
Cook for about 6-10 minutes or till pale brown on top.
Take out. They will turn crisp on top and bottom as they cool but stay just slightly chewy inside.

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free   Mon May 10, 2010 10:35 am

Golo's

RECIPE: Gluten-Free Spaghetti & Meatballs
Servings: 6
1 pound mushrooms
1/3 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup Parmesan
2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning (or a mix of oregano, basil and rosemary)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (1/2 teaspoon if you like it spicy)
1 egg
1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
24 ounces gluten-free marinara sauce
8 ounces gluten-free spaghetti
Optional garnish: additional Parmesan
Pulse the mushrooms in a food processor until they are the size of grains of rice. Thoroughly mix up meatball ingredients with your hands. Don’t worry — all of the mushrooms can be worked into the ground beef. Shape the mixture into 18 meatballs.
Pour marinara sauce in a large sauté pan with a lid. Bring to a low simmer. Gently place meatballs in a single layer in the sauce. Cover and simmer, checking after 10 minutes to make sure the meatballs are not sticking to the bottom of the pan. Cook to an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to package directions. Drain spaghetti and place on dinner plate. Top with 3 meatballs and sauce. Garnish with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free   Mon May 10, 2010 6:17 pm

This is an aussie site with some recipes, their stuff is usually well written and I have had success with recipes I have used from them in the past

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/collections/gluten+free

Oh and here is another aussie recipe collection, its a book actually he is now making available free

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~coeliac/det.html

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free   Tue May 11, 2010 9:52 pm

nice site, gimpy....

Golo

Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free   Wed May 12, 2010 9:06 pm

let us know if you try any of the recipes from the sites Golo

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free   Thu May 20, 2010 6:37 am

Nice recipe for pound cake, gluten free here

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free   Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:11 pm

Rich Almond Fruit Cake - XMAS CAKE!! (gluten-free)

Ingredients
500 g mixed fruit
500 g chopped crystallised fruit, including cherries: I leave them in pretty big chunks, especially the pineapple
150 g crystallised citrus peel
4 tbsp golden syrup
½ cup dark brown sugar
2 cups rum
2 cups water
4 eggs
250 g butter
2 cups ground almond meal, but have another cup full on hand in case — I use the meal of unskinned raw almonds, but the white meal is good too, just not quite as full of minerals.
1 tbsp cinnamon powdered
1 tbsp mixed spice
½ tbsp powdered ginger
Optional: whole almonds to decorate the top.

Method
Place fruit, water and half the rum in a big saucepan – the largest you have, or a casserole.
Put on the lowest heat and cook for about an hour, stirring now and then so it doesn't stick. Put the lid on and leave overnight.
The fruit should now be squishy soft and the liquid mostly evaporated. Add sugar, butter, spices and heat gently till the butter is melted, stirring as you go. Leave to cool again.
Add beaten eggs and almond meal.
Line a large cake tin, or two small ones, or one small one and two big coffee mugs, with two thicknesses of baking paper. Spoon in cake mix. Decorate the top with a pattern of whole almonds.
Put the oven on to its lowest setting. Put a wet newspaper on to an oven proof tray. Put the cakes on this. Use two trays — and two papers — if necessary to fit them on.
Cook for 2-3 hours (the time will vary with the size of the cake) till the top is firm when you press it.
Take out of the oven. Drizzle on the rest of the rum while the cake is still very hot.
Leave cakes to cool in their containers. This is necessary as they will be fragile till cold. They take about six hours to cool right down.
Cakes will keep 1-6 months in a cool dark place. Moisten with more rum every few weeks. I wrap ours up till Christmas to help keep them moist.

Note: You can substitute orange juice for the rum, or whisky or sherry, but the flavour will vary. If you use orange juice, boil one cup of juice with one cup caster sugar for a minute before pouring it on the cakes.

Rich rum and Raisin Pudding cake
If you add plain flour to the recipe instead of almond meal you get a pudding cake — I bake it in a pudding mold (I hope that is mold, not mould), and the result is a rich moist and dark Christmas pudding that doesn't need to be boiled. Others baked in cake tins become cakes.

Number of posts : 3937

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free   Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:07 am

Hmmm, now that I am on a gluten-free diet, might have to try this!
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free   Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:58 pm

I didnt know you were on gluten free now Hummerlou, I know schnookie is and sure a couple of others are too. Anytime I come across a nice recipe I try and post it, these ones are by an australian lady Jackie French, very prolific author and shares her home with oodles of wombats she often writes childrens books about. Laura loves her Diary Of A Wombat book and she is a lovely lady, I have spoken with her in the past and recently bob has helped her with some environmental and legal stuff (they are trying to get a gold mine approved in the valley above her property and people are trying to stop it, we hope we helped some how)

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free   Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:40 pm

Yes, started going to a new doctor a couple of months ago. He put me on a very strict diet. He tested me this past week for allergies and said I'm allergic to wheat, soy, and peanuts. So gluten free I will have to be!
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free   Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:04 am

thank goodness grocery stores are now carrying more and more gluten free products... I just can't get use to the breads thou..... Hummer have you found a good gluten free bread?

Golo

Back to top Go down
hummerlou

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free   Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:12 am

Well, not allowed bread on my diet yet, nor any grains, no dairy, no red meats, no pork, and I could go on and on.... :roll:
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free   Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:25 am

maybe it would be easier to tell us what you can eat, hummer....

Golo

Back to top Go down
hummerlou

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free   Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:50 am

True, I can have green veggies, nuts, chicken, turkey, fish, water .... hmmm, not much.... NO potatoes, corn, breads, cereals, fruits, tomatoes, chocolate, sodas, sweets of any kind, no rice, pasta.... when you type it out is just gets depressing!! cry2
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Gluten Free   Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:24 pm

Pop your recipes in here for Gluten Free Very Happy

Number of posts : 3497

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free   Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:27 pm

http://www.foodnetwork.com/topics/gluten-free/index.html

http://allrecipes.com//Recipes/healthy-cooking/gluten-free/Main.aspx

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/

http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/gluten-free/

Living in the beautiful Sierra Nevada of Northern California

http://community.webshots.com/user/abertquiltmom9
Back to top Go down
Schnookie

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free   Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:05 pm

hummerlou wrote:
Yes, started going to a new doctor a couple of months ago. He put me on a very strict diet. He tested me this past week for allergies and said I'm allergic to wheat, soy, and peanuts. So gluten free I will have to be!
Gluten free is getting easier and easier as they are putting it in more stores...I feel for you Hummer, for I found out I couldn't have most of the same things either to eat...the one I miss the most is Tomatoes! I can have red potatoes, but not white potatoes, go figure, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. One of my favorite dishes is to make is steamed talapia fish and place on a big bed of spinach sprinkle with salt and pepper, slices of lemon and steam. It is a very easy and it is very tasty too!

I have to be careful of having nuts around the house because my son is highly allergic to tree nuts and peanuts! So we just don't have them around! I also cannot have soy and so many things out there that are g-free have soy in it. There is a real good book: The G-Free Diet: A Gluten-Free Survival Guide, by Elisabeth Hasselbeck is so enplanes what to look for. I am not a fan of hers, but her book is a very good place to start with!!!! Well worth the money!!! I wish you luck Hummer <3
Back to top Go down
hummerlou

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free   Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:07 pm

Thank you Schnookie! So far, so good. I stay on the diet about 95% of the time. There is alot out there to eat, you just have to make up your mind that this is the best thing for now.
Back to top Go down
Schnookie

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free   Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:13 pm

Don't forget to read the labels...there is so much hidden gluten out there!!! And that is why I liked her book, she told it all, she has Celtic. I will try and get some info on it for you. Watch out for sauces of any kind, like soy sauce have wheat in it...and there are two different types of Tamari out there also, one wheat in the other not! Tamari is the alternative for soy sauce.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gluten Free   Today at 11:53 pm

Back to top Go down

Gluten Free
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1