The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage

Share | 

Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18 ... 31  Next
AuthorMessage
FiberBabble

Number of posts : 2252
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:31 am

Okay, a more descriptive scientifical illustration.

If I lay out everyone's 'blocks' (that's 7 people sending 6 blocks as in the previous experiment) from left to right across the top, then stagger them... Well, all 7 people will still get 6 blocks. The thing is, every person will not get a block from every person. See the column headed by the round red pill? No kitty treat in that group.

As I'm writing this, I'm realizing that once the blocks are all laid out (yes, I'll spread them all out like this when I swap them- that's one of the reasons you need to label each block) I don't necessarily have to send your own block back to you - if you're the kitty treat blocks, I can send the red pill column to you.

Clearer now?

And (group question, everyone chime in, please) do you want me send you a row that includes your kitty treat block?

(Top row, left to right: dime, penny, vitamin, ibuprofen, kitty treat, stitch marker, chocolate drop. )

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:59 am

Again... because I don't like having to dig around to find out where the 'stuff' is posted on previous pages...

• Prewash your fabrics (all of them).
  • Do not use fabric softener or dryer sheets.
  • Use any fabric that reads 'red' 'green' and 'white OR cream'
  • Use fusible web for the trees. Iron down only, don't stitch.
  • Don't embellish the trees.
  • Make 12 blocks.
  • Label your blocks on the back. Some people use address stickers, some pin a little paper to the block. Give us some way of know who made the block. Name and location is enough, I'd hope.
  • Send all 12 blocks plus one 2 by (at least) 8" strip of red fabric from each of the blocks (12 strips) to FiberBabble.
  • Mail no later than 15 October. on 11 Aug the mail-by date was changed :mockery-017:

Tilt the trees:
1. Gimpy Cat - left
2. texasmusicmom - right
3. FiberBabble - left
4. bizkitea98 - right
5. memaw4 - left -no fusible, trace template & add 1/4" seam allowance for hand applique
6. golo - right
7. TxMaryQuilts - left
8. Shemoos - right
9. Marilee - left
10. Linda2B - right
11. BearFoot - left
12. Mamu - right
13. redmadder - left
14. QBee - right clap

Everyone should be able to access the pdf files from here:
OCT- Applique Shapes
OCT- Tree Block Instructions
When you print the Applique Shapes, be sure the "fit to page' box is NOT clicked. (golo, do you think that might be why the pattern printed a different size from the one in the magazine?)

There will eventually be 'finishing' instructions, but we've got a bit of time.

Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 19924
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:08 am

FiberBabble wrote:

If I lay out everyone's 'blocks' (that's 7 people sending 6 blocks as in the previous experiment) from left to right across the top, then stagger them... Well, all 7 people will still get 6 blocks. The thing is, every person will not get a block from every person. See the column headed by the round red pill? No kitty treat in that group.

As I'm writing this, I'm realizing that once the blocks are all laid out (yes, I'll spread them all out like this when I swap them- that's one of the reasons you need to label each block) I don't necessarily have to send your own block back to you - if you're the kitty treat blocks, I can send the red pill column to you.

Clearer now?

And (group question, everyone chime in, please) do you want me send you a row that includes your kitty treat block?

(Top row, left to right: dime, penny, vitamin, ibuprofen, kitty treat, stitch marker, chocolate drop. )

Uh huh, yeah - what she said

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:34 am

I have so much fun reading this thread and it will be even more fun to start sewing the blocks.

Last night I was digging in my stash for some reds, greens and browns - I think I will start cutting the blocks this weekend - yayyy.

@FB - for me it will be ok if I get a set of kitt....blocks without any of mine.

@Polska - Congratulations to you both and all the best for your future.
Back to top Go down
memaw4

Number of posts : 9376

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:36 am

Gimpy Cat wrote:
FiberBabble wrote:

Clearer now?

Uh huh, yeah - what she said

I need that drink because I have NO clue what she just said! English please! I feel so dumb!
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13223

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:50 am

sounds good, FB......... ahauh!!!!! Shocked whatever you say....

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
Mamu

Number of posts : 4566

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:48 am

I would be okay to NOT get one of my own blocks (the red pill, right?) back. I would rather have blocks from everyone else and then I can make a label with names and city/state where they are from, for a keepsake.
hi5

OH NO bad girl took 'boss lady' place.....

Laura living in NW Montana

<<< "Quilter's share a common thread" >>>
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:13 am

welcome in Mamu....

Golo

Back to top Go down
Linda 2B

Number of posts : 3328

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:12 am

FB
What is the mail by date?
If it is before the 15 OCT I'm going to have to drop out.
The last post says 11 Aug?
So now I'm confused!
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:27 am

And here I was trying to make it clearer, not muddier.

Mail by 15 Oct. The change to the date occurred on 11 Aug.

Back to top Go down
Linda 2B

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:30 am

Ok I'm good then!
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Linda 2B

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:33 am

FB
Ok so now I have another question.
Why don't we just make one for each person so those who want extra will have them for pillows and stuff?
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:44 am

Linda 2B wrote:
FB
Ok so now I have another question.
Why don't we just make one for each person so those who want extra will have them for pillows and stuff?

Well, I've been thinking about this. You know how I'm always (kinda) joking about being obsessive-compulsive? An over-attention to rules & details and a desire to control all aspects are both common OC traits that are as natural to me as breathing - and that I try to curb every time I recognize them.

Whenever I re-post the list of 'guidelines' I feel a bit guilty because I think it looks like I'm carving RULES in stone. police That's really not my intention and when I ask for suggestions and input it's because I truly do want everyone else to be part of the decision-making process.

But I also over-think What If. WAY over-think it. (Currently I'm paralyzed by what to bring to a potluck on Sunday - what if someone's allergic to nuts? What if someone needs gluten-free? What if I'm partying with spice weenies? What if someone else is planning to bring rhubarb cobbler? What if EVERYONE else is bringing dessert? :affraid: )

So this is why I'm not jumping in and saying, Everyone make 12 blocks. No, make 13 blocks. No, make 12 blocks. Welcome, QBee! Make 13 blocks.

So far everyone who's joined in has done so after seeing the picture of the finished quilt and with the understanding that they need to make 12 blocks. What if someone has made 12 blocks and moved on to something else and then 3 more people sign up next month to play? What if making 12 of anything is just about the upper limit of someone's attention span - or willingness to commit time and materials?

This, my friends, is why I'm not jumping on the 'more players, more blocks' streetcar. I'm certainly not getting out the chisel and granite and carving Over My Dead Body. I'm just trying to avoid possible disappointment when a What If comes true. rain

Now, I know that there are some swaps out there that if you send 6, you get 6 and if you send 16, you get 16. I haven't pulled out the cookie sheet and kitty treats to figure out how that works. There are also swaps where everything's done in sets (of 6, 12, whatever) and if you send 2 sets, you get 2 sets.

So here's the discussion of the day:
12 blocks? Ever-changing number of blocks? Send 6, get 6? Send sets?

Discuss.

butterflyhug

Back to top Go down
Linda 2B

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:53 am

OK I'll start and we will see what everyone else says.

1) Set a cut off for sign ups.

2) I say 1 block and 1 strip per name on list.

That's my 2 cents!
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts : 9483

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:28 pm

Linda 2B wrote:
OK I'll start and we will see what everyone else says.

1) Set a cut off for sign ups.

2) I say 1 block and 1 strip per name on list.

That's my 2 cents!

Ditto
Maybe cut off by 25th of this month.

Take a deep breath Tracy. Don't stress over this. If we get too goofy, send us all to our sewing rooms. Very Happy

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

Number of posts : 4205

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:29 pm

Since I'm the last one in, I probably should zip it. . . but I second Linda and TxM.

And, I just want to say, that despite FB's bossy, ruler-of-the-world tendencies. . . . . .

She is just the greatest! I'm so lucky I got to spend a few days with her at our retreat, and I'll get to see her again in May!
Back to top Go down
memaw4

Number of posts : 9376

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:41 pm

I third TxM, Linda2B, and QBee.

I also think your doing a great job hosting this swap!
Back to top Go down
texasmusicmom

Number of posts : 6743
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:39 pm

FB....you are doing great! I'm having so much fun reading all this.....LOVE LOVE LOVE the pictures...my friend in SC loves it too...haha.

I'm fine with whatever....given a choice..I'm fine with making one block for everyone as well. Also....that way we know we each need to make one for hand applique.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:16 pm

I have the same thoughts as the others, call a cut off date, even a week from now would be fine, we can all pass the word around and let others know there is a swap open but closing shortly. Im happy to make a block for each person, I dont think we will end up making 20+ blocks so Im happy to make more than 12. You are doing a great job, dont get stressed though FB, then its not fun for you and its supposed to be fun for everyone. My biggest problem with OCD is that the smart ass who named it put the damn letters out of alphabetical order - was it supposed to be some kind of joke???

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:37 pm

Gosh, I sure didn't mean to come off as a drama llama! doh

Embarassed

Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:18 am

Oh you didnt at all, we just care about each other and dont like the idea that someone might be getting stressed over something, I dont think Id like to meet a drama llama though, plenty of alpaca's around here and they are cranky in their natural state, the idea of a drama llama boggles the mind!!! lol!

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:54 am

fb ...no stress.... this site is so much fun to come and read and do... I made up my red and white blocks last night and cut out my stars and if I need to do more.... no problem... they are all easy to do.... I do things when I feel like it so no stress here.... lets all put on some Caribbean music and "Be Happy" dance

Golo

Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:30 am

Left turn here. Off Topic.

The potluck. I decided to do a variation of Knock You Nekkid brownies. But I didn't have any wrapped caramels. So I got out a cookbook and decided to make caramel. (Because IAmWomanHearMeRoar)

45 minutes at the stove, stirring almost constantly (I was 'reading' an audio book so that was okay). Apparently I didn't stop cooking/stirring soon enough - though the timer hadn't gone off yet - and when I tried to pour the caramel onto the brownies it went "phump". I spread it (not knowing any better) and within mere seconds there was a layer of granite on top of my brownies.

I know this, because when I tried to bite/break some off of the edge of the spoon to taste it, I chipped my tooth a tiny bit.

I lifted the granite slab off the brownies and threw it in the trash, washed the dishes and went away.

Unless Target has some wrapped caramels when I go this evening, it'll be rhubarb crisp for the potluck tomorrow. It might be, anyway, depending on my desire to make another batch of brownies after work tonight.
big sigh

Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:41 am

What about caramel ice cream topping?

I've been following this thread...wondering if I should dive in...its an adorable pattern. But I have a goal this year...No UFO's by Jan 2012. Which means I have to finish the trees in the forest quilt (my oldest ufo and intended xmas gift) So I'm going to keep tabs on you gals but just can't take this on at this time.
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:20 am

Calico_Chris wrote:
What about caramel ice cream topping?

It needs to be Not Goopy. I tried it the way the original recipe said, which was to melt caramels with some cream to make it a 'sauce' and we had to eat the brownies with a fork and still keep a washcloth close by. The caramel is in the middle of the brownies. Extremely Goosh-able.

Do reconsider joining us for the swap, CC - It's a pretty quick (and easy) quilt to put together. You could get an early start on Next Year's Christmas Presents!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Today at 5:56 pm

Back to top Go down

Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 31Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18 ... 31  Next