The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage

Share | 

Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next
AuthorMessage
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 19916
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:00 pm

Shemoos joined I added her to the list

Number of posts : 2251
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:16 pm

texasmusicmom wrote:
lmao lmao lmao
FUN!!!!! lOl....FB...so glad you volunteered...this one is much harder than mine! hah! I'm easy on the prewash thing.....if we make a wall hanging, the chance of washing it ever is slim. I'll do whatever the concensus is.

If I'm right at interpreting the picture and Gimpy Cat's info, it looks like the quilt will end up to be about 52x68" including borders (40x56" before borders).

I'm thinking pre-wash is going to be necessary.
Running reds, you know? Even a swish in a hot bath & ironing dry should shrink the fabric and show whether it will run, don't you think?

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts : 9475
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:38 pm

Let's just be safe and pre-wash. I would hate for anyone to be disappointed by a red running into that white rectangle. If it wasn't for that white, I would think it wouldn't matter BUT-it is there, so better safe than sorry.

So 12 swappers, 12 blocks and 12 strips. We keep one each and mail the other 11 or just mail all 12? And include a SASE I guess? Will mailing the end of October allow it time to get to Germany so she can finish hers before Christmas?

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:49 pm

The pattern says finished blocks:

Tree: 10" x 16"
Rail Fence: 10" x 8"

Finished Quilt: 54 1/2" x 70 1/2"

Number of posts : 438

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:43 am

Ohh Im getting so excited - I havent swapped with you ladies since 2009........ as soon as I get home I will dig for some red, green and white ....... oh the fabrics - do they have to be christmasy or can we use any red and greens?

FB - do you use paypal? Im asking so I know if I need to exchange some into $
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:46 am

I think any red and green fabrics would work, thats why I liked the pattern so much, great for using up scraps too. Trees could be done in greens with patterns that make them look like they are decorated too. Batiks would work as they have beautiful reds and greens, any fabrics in reds and greens I think IMHO

Number of posts : 6742
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:46 am

oops....I wasn't thinking in size too well...haha. Guess it will end up a throw since it would be a large wall hanging, so prewashing is a good idea. Works for me! I'm excited!!!!!!! clap chatting :quilting1: mailbox placard :purpletree:
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:49 am

Okay, pre-wash it is.

Here we go:
  1. Prewash your fabrics (all of them).
  2. Do not use fabric softener or dryer sheets.
  3. Use any fabric that reads 'red' 'green' and 'white OR cream' (is that okay? I like my whites mixed up)
  4. Use fusible web for the trees. Iron down only, don't stitch.
  5. Don't embellish the trees. (new guideline)
  6. Make 12 blocks.
  7. Label your blocks on the back. Some people use address stickers, some pin a little paper to the block. Give us some way of know who made the block. Name and location is enough, I'd hope.
  8. Send all 12 blocks plus one 2 by (at least) 8" strip of red fabric from the blocks to FiberBabble.
  9. Mail no later than 31 October.

If we don't get 12 people to swap, we can go with just the # we have, right? At worst, that would mean that we each have to make 4 more blocks for our own quilts (or redesign the quilt to use only 8!). Of course, if someone wants to make two complete sets, that's okay, too. Thud

I will:

1. Send you all the pattern today.
  2. Put together mailing details soon (hopefully no one will need them today!). I was just randomly assuming 10 days to get to non-US destinations - am I way off in my thinking?

Of course, if everyone gets their blocks done and mailed to me before the 31st, I'll certainly mail them sooner...

Oh - and don't forget: I have MoonPie the Shedding Machine. Even if I keep the blocks in the one room she isn't allowed in, that fine long white hair knows no boundaries. I'll do my best, but you might get a kitty souvenir. (Beats the "other" kind of souvenir she could send, I guess tigger )

Last edited by FiberBabble on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added guideline)
Back to top Go down
memaw4

Number of posts : 9361

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:00 am

LMBO............ lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13223

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:47 pm

bought my fabric and it is washed and in the dryer... ready set go...... If anyone has the 2006 Quilt n and More Magazine... the pattern is in the book...

Glad I saw rule #5... I was going to sew gold garland on my trees... you just want them plain green and we embellis our own...????

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:22 pm

golo wrote:
bought my fabric and it is washed and in the dryer... ready set go...... If anyone has the 2006 Quilt n and More Magazine... the pattern is in the book...

Glad I saw rule #5... I was going to sew gold garland on my trees... you just want them plain green and we embellis our own...????

Golo, I didn't have all the templates from the magazine, so I reinvented the wheel - please have a look at the pattern & instructions that I've written up (I just popped in to share and saw your note).

And yes, send nekkid trees. We can be responsible for our own embellishments.

Everyone should be able to access the pdf files from here:
OCT- Applique Shapes
OCT- Tree Block Instructions

Since I'm the author of these documents, I can't say what you'll see when you click the links Embarassed In theory you'll see each of the files - OCT - Tree Block Instructions and OCT - Applique Shapes. I think you can then go to 'File' and then 'Download original' (to save to your computer) or 'Print (PDF)'.

Let's see how this works, okay?

Back to top Go down
texasmusicmom

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:33 pm

Golo....you are such a go getter!

This sounds like such fun! Fibber.....glad you are doing this one...so organized!

Just curious...why are we not doing embellish? Is that to make it easy to mail? I truly don't mind one way or another...just wondering.... scratch

I was able to open the docs just fine! Am out of town at the moment, so will print out etc. later. Question....

The trees lean different ways.....some right, some left. Do we do six to the right and six to the left? Or do you want to assign left to half of the swappers and right to the other?
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:48 pm

texasmusicmom wrote:
Golo....you are such a go getter!

This sounds like such fun! Fibber.....glad you are doing this one...so organized!

Just curious...why are we not doing embellish? Is that to make it easy to mail? I truly don't mind one way or another...just wondering.... scratch

I was able to open the docs just fine! Am out of town at the moment, so will print out etc. later. Question....

The trees lean different ways.....some right, some left. Do we do six to the right and six to the left? Or do you want to assign left to half of the swappers and right to the other?

You're a woman after my own heart, tmm - I was thinking that if you knew what number I listed you as (1. Gimpy Cat, 2... etc) we could do ODD PEOPLE Twisted Evil leaning one way and 'even' people the other.

But then I thought that that was getting a bit too controlling. police Because I am always on guard for that behaviour in myself.

I'll let everyone else decide on that point (that means everyone should share their opinion, please!)

As for the embellishments, mostly it's for mailing, and the danger that some stuff might fall off. (Plus it's hard to sew the trees down if there's stuff on them already, you know?) It's also a matter of taste, to be honest. I have none. I'd rather slap something on my trees and face the consequences in the privacy of my own home rather than agonize over what is gaudy/tacky/lame for my friends.

Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:07 pm

Heh. Marilee's IN.

Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:48 pm

Christmas Trees... (don't worry, I'm not going to be finished tonite - just getting stuff set up while I'm in the mode!)

Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:54 pm

Ok Ok I havent had a mouthful of coffee yet and its 9.54am but I looked at your photo and my initial thought was "why is she doing her trees in two parts?" doh that was seconds before this very very tired brain registered you'd cut the fusible excess away azn lmao I really need coffee coffeecup

I too had wondered about the trees being half in one slanted direction, half the other. Im happy to point all mine in one direction, politely of course winking Just make a note next to our names on the swap list noting which way they need to point, please! I wont remember otherwise Thud

Number of posts : 13223

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:04 pm

My fabric is all waiting to be cut.... let me know about the leaning trees... 6 and 6 is fine with me or all in one direction... don't matter...

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:25 pm

maybe I should put mine all upside down so ya'll know they came from down under lol!

Number of posts : 3327

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:34 pm

Ok against my better judgement of which I have none! doh

I'm in!
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:40 pm

Oh you must have got your better judgement at the same place I did - I dont think they refund on the faulty product they sold us lmao

Number of posts : 3327

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:41 pm

lmao lmao lmao
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:43 pm

ok so i drank and coffee and now Im thinking, a little FB you said "If we don't get 12 people to swap, we can go with just the # we have, right? At worst, that would mean that we each have to make 4 more blocks for our own quilts (or redesign the quilt to use only 8!)."

Why would we need to make anymore blocks, you already told us -

6. Make 12 blocks.

So no matter how many people join, we will still all have a complete set, is that right or do I need to go stick a straw in the coffee pot and jab the other end in arm or neck? coffee8

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:44 pm

Gimpy Cat wrote:
Oh you must have got your better judgement at the same place I did - I dont think they refund on the faulty product they sold us lmao

Oh further pondering Ive come to wonder if we missed the obvious, we live in a disposable society, perhaps the 'better judgement' only has a short life span?

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:02 pm

lol! lmao

Fibber....Im happy with what you decide on the leaning trees....you can make the decision as you are in charge.....I'm thinking it's easier if you just assign a direction to us!

Gimpy....maybe I'll put yours on upside down! Too funny....it can be like the sunbonnet sue that faces the opposite direction!
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts : 9475

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:33 pm

I only managed to pick up on a couple of things, not due to lack of coffee, but due to a headache.

I do believe that 10 days is optimistic for over seas shipping. It sometimes takes 2 weeks for an item to arrive in Canada. So I would guess it takes longer to get overseas.

No embellishment, other than cat hair, is fine. Mine may be lightly embellished with Pug fur. So I will apologize for that now.

I do not mind if there is off white mixed in. I actually prefer a light off white over a stark white.

If it is easiest to assign which way the tip of the tree should lean, go for it. I love the thought of the "down under" tree. Very cute. Coming from our drought, maybe I should send dead trees? You know, bare branches with a puddle of green around the bottom. lol!

Oh and the patterns printed off fine for me. It is a lot bigger than I thought. Well, honestly, I never thought about it, until I printed it. geek

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Today at 6:13 am

Back to top Go down

Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 31Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next