The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage

Share | 

Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17 ... 31  Next
AuthorMessage
golo

Number of posts : 13223
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:38 pm

Coming from our drought, maybe I should send dead trees?

lmao lmao

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 19924

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:43 pm

Brown trees for drought areas, upside down from tassie and green from elsewhere - LOL that would be a fun quilt!

I cant print the pattern, all I get is like a thumbnail of the page and Im pretty much out of ink so a bit on the Evil or Very Mad mood (this is day 6 of a headache that isnt helping my mood!)

White, cream or WOW is fine with me. I may use up some scraps for my centres, seem to always have little bits of creams/whites to use

Postage from Australia takes 7-10days to reach the states, seems its often quicker than mail on the states/cananda route

Number of posts : 901

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:52 pm

This is a really cute quilt! And so with some weakening resolute "absolutely NO new swaps until you finish some of the others" waffling, I think I can do this... Undesided So if there is still room...count me in. Thud
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:12 pm

hug08 Oh BearFoot it would be wonderful to have you join us, Im thinking you must have purchased your resolve at the same place Linda2B and I purchased what we thought was sound judgement lol!

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:14 pm

1. Gimpy Cat
2. texasmusicmom
3. FiberBabble
4. bizkitea98
5. memaw4
6. golo
7. TxMaryQuilts
8. Shemoos
9. Marilee
10. Linda2B
11. BearFoot

Is your name on here? Check and make sure, there is only room for one more swapper!!! dance

Number of posts : 2252
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:20 pm

Wow - where to start?

How about
12. BossLady

I was talking to Marilee this evening & BossLady was eavesdropping Twisted Evil . If we'll have her, she wants to play!

So, assuming that's okay - wait! What if-what if? Can we include MORE than 12 swappers?

All right. Someone else do the thinking on that one for me, willya? coolsmiley

So. Gimpy Cat, your observation/answer to my question of what to do if we only had 8 is correct. And moot.

I'm thrilled that Linda 2B & BearFoot will be joining us (welcome back, Linda!).

Left/right (this means the star on the top of the tree tilts in this direction):

1. Gimpy Cat - left
2. texasmusicmom - right
3. FiberBabble - left
4. bizkitea98 - right
5. memaw4 - left
6. golo - right
7. TxMaryQuilts - left
8. Shemoos - right
9. Marilee - left
10. Linda2B - right
11. BearFoot - left
12. BossLady - right

Gimpy Cat, I can email the files to you if you'd like, but you do have the original pattern. The trunk might be a little bit different, but I don't think anyone will notice.

Does 31 Oct still seem do-able, or should we move the date to the middle of October?

Have I missed anything?

I taught a class tonight and brought home a shop sample that needs a border put on it. Y'all got first priority (I'm sitting at my sewing machine, iron heated, lights on & ready to go do the border). Miles to go before I sleep...

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:30 pm

I reckon if we had a few more swappers it wouldnt hurt, we could either enlarge the quilt or use the extra blocks to make matching cushion covers - Id do that in a heartbeat, I like the idea of cushions to match the quilt! Its wonderful we reached 12 so fast!

I'll use the pattern I have here, just wanted to check with you first winking

Middle of Oct or end makes no difference to me, whatever date you choose anyone overseas has to cut 2weeks off it to allow for posting time. I will be away for 9 or 10days in sept so as long as I know the date I promise to be organised and on time! Middle of month gives us quicker turn around time for those hoping to have it assembled and finished for xmas use though Undesided

Number of posts : 901

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:05 am

FiberBabble wrote:

You're a woman after my own heart, tmm - I was thinking that if you knew what number I listed you as (1. Gimpy Cat, 2... etc) we could do ODD PEOPLE Twisted Evil leaning one way and 'even' people the other.
I should have known that I would be one of the ODD PEOPLE! lmao lol!
Back to top Go down
bizkitea98

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:06 am

Oh that all sounds so great ....... big laugh on that upside down and drought trees lmao

Yikes........ you gals are almost half done with the blocks and I just printed the pattern

Ok... so lets see if I get everything right...... the trees will be only ironed on (no sewing on) and I point all my trees (stars) to the right. My fabrics are all prewashed.... so this is no problem either.

Oh and dont worry to much about the mailing time to Germany - dont rush because of the oversea shipping......Im pretty sure I wont finish the quilt before Christmas...... and after Christmas is before Christmas - right lol! thats what I keep telling myself with some Halloween-projects.

I dont mind about hair - I can offer some hair from three cats also lmao - well Ill try to keep them off fabrics and projects which leaves the house.

@Gimpy - hope your headache is getting better - I know how you feel with it the 6th day in a row
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:50 am

Bizkitea you never know, you might finish the quilt before xmas, question is 'which christmas'? LOL Its all how you think about it!!!

Sounds like you have it all down pat, trees ironed on, no sewing, all yours pointed to the right (apparently your an even person LOL) Youve even got the pattern printed and your fabrics washed - your ahead of me already!

BearFoot wrote:
FiberBabble wrote:

You're a woman after my own heart, tmm - I was thinking that if you knew what number I listed you as (1. Gimpy Cat, 2... etc) we could do ODD PEOPLE Twisted Evil leaning one way and 'even' people the other.
I should have known that I would be one of the ODD PEOPLE! lmao lol!

Ive decided then Im in good company seeing as I got stuck at the top of the list of ODD PEOPLE do you think FiberBabble is sneakily trying to say something here??? Oh wait, at least she is being fair, she's on the odd list too!! Cant say Im suprised to see the likes of TxMary on there with us, I mean, she is from Texas and all....... lmao

Number of posts : 6743
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:33 am

Is there some kind of fusible that people prefer? I have a couple of different ones.
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:12 am

texasmusicmom wrote:
Is there some kind of fusible that people prefer? I have a couple of different ones.

I think the usual suspects are Steam a Seam II, Heat n Bond Lite, Wonder Under (the lightest version). Based on the discussion that goes on Every. Single. Time. Sindy at Fat Cat Patterns has a swap, no product is a clear favorite. Everyone has their success stories and horror stories.

Food for thought, though: I used Heat n Bond Lite (by the bolt). You can kill this stuff, which is both a good thing and a bad thing. There is a tipping point where if it's over-ironed it will completely release from the background (is this true for the other brands? does anyone know?).

I actually use this 'feature' to my benefit at times. BUT if that's not the intent, I tend to under-fuse - as in, don't hold the iron down quite as long as the instructions say to - when I'm working with blocks.

My reasoning is this: I'll be ironing the shapes onto the background. Any time one shape is on top of another, the one beneath gets a second ironing. After the blocks travel to the hostess and back to me I'll need to press them again to measure them and appreciate them. THEN I'll put them together in a setting - sometimes with a sashing (another trip to the ironing board) or just all together, when they'll be ironed yet again.

Depending on the applique, I may not sew the shapes down until after all of this is done, but instead incorporate the sewing-down with my quilting.

This is a lot of extra ironing and a lot of opportunity to kill the fusible web.

Just something I've learned (the hard way)!

Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:17 am

Fb we shouldn't use the pattern layout from the book, because your trees are about 1" shorter and you're star is a bit smaller.... so will use your print out... Very Happy

Golo

Back to top Go down
memaw4

Number of posts : 9376

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:44 am

texasmusicmom wrote:

Can I be the sour pickle in this patch? I'd really prefer you send me the trees UNfused and I'll applique them onto the block myself. I really don't care for fusible web. Just cut the trees out 1/4" larger for me so that I'll have enough for a seam when I use UNfuseable-interfacing to back them. That's how I applique.

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone. I didn't mean too.
Back to top Go down
texasmusicmom

Number of posts : 6743
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:54 pm

I can do that! Tracy...can you make sure everyone knows Memaw's preference? Anyone else prefer needle turn?

I have all those kinds, so I'll just pick one. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts : 9483

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:51 pm

Memaw, it is not offensive to do needleturn applique. You do not have to apologize, not to me anyway. I wish I could do it that way but alas, it just ain't my thang. I don't mind leaving the fusible off one of them.

I have "killed" a lot of Heat and bond Lite. Then I actually read the directions and it said low heat, not nuclear fusion type heat. Really? Who knew? Well I guess everyone who read the directions knew, which obviously wasn't me. Is this why I am on the ODD list? sigh.... Oh well, seems I am in good company on that list.

Bizkitea, I love your attitude. "It will be done before Christmas, just don't know which Christmas." think I'll tell everyone that they'll get their gifts on Christmas, but not gonna tell them which Christmas. Very Happy

How many reds are y'all using? I washed two but it doesn't seem like enough variety. I washed two greens too but not sure I like one of the ones I washed. sigh... Maybe I'll just wash them all and pick later...........

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:36 pm

nothing to add
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:56 pm

golo wrote:
Fb we shouldn't use the pattern layout from the book, because your trees are about 1" shorter and you're star is a bit smaller.... so will use your print out... Very Happy

Ack! How did that happen, I wonder? I am so sorry!

BUT - I don't think it would be a problem at all if you use the different templates... The trees are wonky anyway and a little bit different size might actually add to the whimsy of the quilt!

memaw4 wrote:
Can I be the sour pickle in this patch? I'd really prefer you send me the trees UNfused and I'll applique them onto the block myself. I really don't care for fusible web. Just cut the trees out 1/4" larger for me so that I'll have enough for a seam when I use UNfuseable-interfacing to back them. That's how I applique.

I'm sorry if I've offended anyone. I didn't mean too.

No problem for me and certainly no offense taken - I'll add your request to the 'guidelines' later on this evening. Anybody else prefer to do it by hand???

TxMaryQuilts wrote:
How many reds are y'all using? I washed two but it doesn't seem like enough variety. I washed two greens too but not sure I like one of the ones I washed. sigh... Maybe I'll just wash them all and pick later...........

I'm just using one, Mary Ann, but it's one I have had on hand, waiting for just the right project (it says 2003 on the selvage!! lmao ).

You will have a variety - you will have (at least) 12 different reds in your quilt top, one from each of us! Same with the trees!
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:30 pm

No problem here, memaw.. glad to do you a solo... lol!

Golo

Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts : 9483

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:24 pm

FiberBabble wrote:
TxMaryQuilts wrote:

I'm just using one, Mary Ann, but it's one I have had on hand, waiting for just the right project (it says 2003 on the selvage!! lmao ).

You will have a variety - you will have (at least) 12 different reds in your quilt top, one from each of us! Same with the trees!

Well duh, yeah. No wonder you put me on the ODD list. doh

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:04 pm

TxMaryQuilts wrote:
FiberBabble wrote:

Well duh, yeah. No wonder you put me on the ODD list. doh

lmao lmao lmao

Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:20 pm

Polska wrote:
nothing to add

So, Polska, did I miss it? Do you want to come and play with us? We would really love it if you would!

You see, this evening I conducted an extremely in-depth scientific experiment. What would happen if more people wanted to play? Could we make it work? Let's see:

Start with 7 people who want to swap 6 blocks. (Polska, you can be the chocolate chips, if you want!) Everybody sends 6 blocks.

Swap them out. (Keep your eye on the chocolate chips)

Look! There are 7 columns (that's science-speak for 7 swappers) each with 6 blocks!

Now, I'm not Ms. Wizard (because if I was I would have used 7 different kinds of beans and chips to make it more clear visually) and we won't get one of everyone's and you might not even get one of your own back - but everyone WILL get a full set of blocks.

clap

So... We do NOT have to "close" the swap at 12.

EVERYBODY GETS TO PLAY!!!! hi5

Come on in, dearie. There's a place for you riiiiight here... coolsmiley

Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:15 pm

Ummm how do we know you didnt eat some of the choc drops whilst working this all out and skew the final math count????? lmao

Number of posts : 438

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:36 am

Gimpy Cat wrote:
Ummm how do we know you didnt eat some of the choc drops whilst working this all out and skew the final math count????? lmao

lmao lmao

memaw4 - no prob here either winking

TMM - Cheesy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:38 am

Sientificly speaking, Tracy started with 6 chips in the first pic...and counting them in the next pic, she still has 6....
I deleted me I will join after trying to read instructions...I would love to, but have to pass. I am hosting Sam swap. And getting married Oct 7th. My dad died a month ago, and you know how WILLs go..so life is very stressful right now. But thank you.
Now if you want I can eat those chips for you...
chocolate
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011   Today at 4:13 pm

Back to top Go down

Xmas Tree Block Swap 2011
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 31Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17 ... 31  Next