The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wishing you all a Happy and Peaceful Holiday Season

Share | 

Making Quilt Labels by Litup 100

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Making Quilt Labels by Litup 100   Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:18 am

Title: Making Quilt Labels
Post by: Litup100 on December 24, 2007, 04:36:01 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found a great way to make quilt labels. My handwriting is not that great, so I never feel comfortable writing out the label. I even type up the captions for my scrapbooking.

I recently made a quilt label for my first grandchild's quilt. I used a couple of applique animals from Brandywine Designs and the back of her book has a couple quilt labels you can use. Well, it had a bird, a kitten and a duck on it. The front of the quilt though did not have the duck, so I photocopied the label, also a puppy (which was on the quilt). I covered the duck with the puppy.

I then typed up the message and names/dates for the label. Cut that out too and put that in the middle of the label.

Well, it was too big, so I photocopied the whole thing and shrunk it.

NOW FOR THE HINT PART: I took fabric and treated it with Bubble Jet Set. When it was dry, I took a plain piece of paper and sprayed it with temporary adhesive (basting spray). Then I put the fabric onto the sprayed paper. Last, I put the paper in the photocopied at work and copied the label onto the paper. Let it dry overnight. Heat set it. Then rinsed it to be sure it would not run.

That label is so clear, I am going to do that again and again and again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Re: Making Quilt Labels
Post by: TxMaryQuilts on December 24, 2007, 06:27:51 AM

Designing your label and getting it perfect before hand is a really good idea.
I need to get some bubblejet as a couple of my UFO's simply lack labels and I do not care for the printable fabric pack I got from Walmart. My LQS has some but at $18 for 5 sheets, that is a bit much for labels.

Hope you can post a pic of your label. I would like to see it.

Post by: buickjim on December 24, 2007, 06:46:24 AM

What a great idea. Lots of creativity.

BTW, the expensive fabric is probably Printed Treasures (I used to sell it). It's really nice fabric, but a bit pricey. The good stuff runs about $3.50 a sheet. It's really good for doing photo/memory quilts.

Post by: TxMaryQuilts on December 24, 2007, 06:55:39 AM

Yes, that was the name of it and I had the oppotunity to see it in a quilt while I was there last week.

A young lady brought in a quilt top she made for her Grandmother. Her very first quilt, queen size. She had copied family photos from many years and did a quasi-log cabin around them.

The photos felt just like the rest of the fabric. With your eyes closed you would not know when your hand was moving across the photos.

She was very apprehensive about her quilt because her seams didn't match and some of her blocks weren't square. We assured her that her grandma would never see the flaws because of the tears of joy. I wish I could see her grandma recieve this quilt. That is going to be a touching scene.

Post by: breezepines2002 on December 24, 2007, 08:10:18 AM

one quick way for a label for a quilt is to have to premade ones you find in fabric, iron stablizer on the back and run it through the ink jet printer, one quick swipe with the iron and it's set won't bleed or run and people can read it unlike my sloppy writing lol.. bonnie
Back to top Go down

Making Quilt Labels by Litup 100
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1