The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars

Share | 

Hobo Quilt

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:08 pm

Glad your joinging us. I will add you to our list. You can find us in BOM's. We will start June 1st. The book is very interesting. I love history.
Back to top Go down
memaw4

Number of posts : 9385
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:18 pm

This was started once before if I remember right. I didn't go out and buy the book because Polska offered to copy and share the block pattern with us. Do I need to buy the book now? Let me know ASAP if so. I still want in on this BOM if that's OK. I think Jill does too. There were several who had signed up. Thanks ladies......Kay
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:16 pm

police

Last edited by Polska on Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:43 pm

I'm looking forward to starting a project...I'm in a sea of silk flowers and satin fabric. Working on getting my sewing room reorganized after a major redo. It looks like a great project for scraps.
I need to go back and reread through this ghread and see what the particulars are.
Back to top Go down
redmadder

Number of posts : 3374

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:43 am

Can I join? It won't surprise anyone if I confess to being unreliable. Could it be so much on my plate? All I need is the name the block since I draft everything. How bout it? One more? :roll:
Back to top Go down
redmadder

Number of posts : 3374

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:56 am

Blush. Went to Amazon to look at the book. Those aren't traditional blocks. Maybe someone could share, all I need is a rough sketch. coffeecup
Back to top Go down
memaw4

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:30 pm

I stopped on the way home today at my cousins quilting shop, and I happen to tell her about this Hobo quilt I was going to be making. She told me she had bought the book and made the very same quilt! She also said in the book there were..... mistakes! on some of the blocks.

I just wanted you to know Polska before you posted them. If you want, I'll be happy to get with her and find out just what one's they are and let you know.

Kay
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:50 pm

I Read that also on the Amazon reviews Memaw . Interested to see the talk about copying and sharing these patterns. Are you not worried about copyright infringement ? You wouldn't dare admit or say publicly to doing something like that here . They are very hot on copywright here and no group would allow it to happen . Not to say that I haven't done it ! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13223
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:07 pm

memaw that would great if you would let us know what blocks have errors...

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:29 pm

Of course you can join. It doesn't start until June. Glad to have you, unreliable and all.
Hug
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:31 pm

Oh no, we would never brake any rules here. And yes, we need to have the corrected info.
Who wants to make a history quilt with the wrong info? They should band the book if its not got the correct info in it.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

Number of posts : 4205

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:29 am

Henny Penny wrote:
I Read that also on the Amazon reviews Memaw . Interested to see the talk about copying and sharing these patterns. Are you not worried about copyright infringement ? You wouldn't dare admit or say publicly to doing something like that here . They are very hot on copywright here and no group would allow it to happen . Not to say that I haven't done it ! Embarassed

I've been thinking about this same thing. . . it is illegal to copy patterns and share them with others. What's being offered here is a violation of copyright laws.

It's also unfair to the designers.

I think the discussion going on here could also impact the forum and forum administrators.

It's worrisome. . .

Back to top Go down
Mamu

Number of posts : 4566
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:01 am

I went back and read all the posts...most everyone has purchased or is planning on purchasing the book to do this BOM which is what needs to be done to not violate copy right laws. I did not see where Polska was offering to copy and post blocks to be made?? maybe I did not find that post?
I recently had some of my Thursday Sew group do a Christmas sampler quilt. I was able to purchase all of the books at a huge discount and everyone bought the book from me. We were able to do the quilt and everyone has a nice book to do the quilt again or pass the book on to someone else that might like to do this quilt. I could have copied the blocks and have everyone do them, but I just didn't think it was right and with the low cost of the book there was no reason why they couldn't get the book.
I will be interested in seeing these quilts...I have not decided if I can do this or not....summer time is fairly busy for me and I don't want to commit if I can not follow through.

Laura living in NW Montana

<<< "Quilter's share a common thread" >>>
Back to top Go down
Mamu

Number of posts : 4566
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:08 am

Here is a review that I found on Amazon...she listed some of the blocks that had mistakes

After reading some of the reviews, I was concerned about making the quilt because some of the reviewers said there were so many errors in the patterns. However, I contacted the publisher and they sent me the corrections over email within 2 days of my inquiry.

The blocks with errors are: Bad Drinking Water, Dangerous Drinking water, housewife feeds for chores, no one home, poor man, sit-down feed, and Ridin' the Rails Engine block. All of the block corrections involve cutting measurements.

Laura living in NW Montana

<<< "Quilter's share a common thread" >>>
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13223
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:19 am

Thanks Mamu... will mark them and contact the publisher...

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
memaw4

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:25 am

I have NO problem buying this book if I can still find it. I'll go look and let you all know. I'm sure somewhere out in space it's there...................................

........................................................................................................

..........................................................................still flying in space and about to land......
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

Number of posts : 4205

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:15 pm

Offers to copy have disappeared. . . which is good.

I've actually had this book since it first came out, but I'm feeling so swamped I just don't know if I dare join in. . .I'll see closer to the time.
Back to top Go down
memaw4

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:23 pm

Happy to say my space flying took me to Barns and Noble... I was able to buy the Hobo Quilt book for $14.02.....in new condition.........memaw is one happy camper. Anxious to look at the pictures of the blocks and read all about them too.
Back to top Go down
Jill

Number of posts : 4344
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:51 pm

I got mine from the local library today, as I wanted to look it over before buying a copy and committing to make it. I'll take a look at it this evening while watching TV.
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:06 pm

My copy arrived yesterday and It looks like a good read.
I guess it will be an added challenge to make sure we check the authors math with each block.
Since I'm organizing fabric I'll make a pile for this project...lookiing forward to doing this.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:48 am

I have a copy of the fixes from the publisher. I can email it to you if you like. PM me your email.
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:42 pm

Thanks for getting those fixes Polska....I made up Bad Drinking Water this morning just for fun. Had some trouble....still working on finding that illusive scant 1/4. the 12 1 inch HST's ccame out short, Block is 6.25 not 6.5. I'll scrap it and start over. This was due to operator error. I found the errors and made my HST's larger and cut down to size. I would say my seams were generous 1/4 inch and iwas just compounded and too short.
Back to top Go down
memaw4

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:04 pm

CC, any special colors they using? I believe my cousine told me Friday she used a lot of reds, blues. Just scraps. Anxious to get my book this week.
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:27 pm

mostly blues and grays with a bit of red, its a very masculine looking quilt, homespuns and shirtings and checks.
Back to top Go down
memaw4

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:51 pm

Thanks Chris.

Last edited by memaw4 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Today at 4:25 pm

Back to top Go down

Hobo Quilt