The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Hobo Quilt

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
memaw4

Number of posts : 9464
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:31 pm

I just received my Hobo Quilts book. I can hardly wait to start on this! These blocks look really easy. Do we know what size quilt we're making yet? I don't know about all of you, but I plan to make the bed size one for my bed. I think it takes 120 blocks. That's OK with me though. I just wondered.
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:43 pm

I foolishly decided to make a test block on one of the ones that was thought to have errors. I found the errrors but the block turned out like "dookie". So being the type of person I am I had to try and make it again....we are talking about "Bad drinking water". So yesterday I remade the block. I know we have not started yet but I was just playing around.
Well....it turned out better....no...it did not turn out good...only better. I am not an expert piecer (quite obviously) but how does one get 12- one inch HST into a 6 x 2 inch space?
Looking through the book I'm thinking I may have picked the most difficult block in the book.
I'm thinking about redoing the bottom half and making the zig zag more like the drawing with bias applique stem. This experiance has given me a new appreciation for all those mini quilts I've seen.
I graded the seams...just too much bulk.
Back to top Go down
memaw4

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:15 pm

I've been looking at the book and reading it and I'm finding it very interesting. Growing up beside the railroad tracks, I often seen "hobo's" in the open cars and would wave at them. Was never afraid of them, never thought to be either. Today though might be a whole different story.
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13244
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:16 pm

serious stuff there CC... I will have to go look at the book more... I had put it away to finish other stuff.. I plan on doing mine in mostly dark colors..grays, reds, blues, browns blacks etc... what ever I have actually don't want to buy anymore fabrics... I did pick up some FQ plaids to use...

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
redwork

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:36 pm

I found the book at the library and they calling when the book is at the branch near my house.
I am so excited.
So could someone either list the fixes with the blocks on the forum.
Redwork
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:26 pm

Polska has the corrections...

Golo

Back to top Go down
breezepines2002

Number of posts : 1835

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:35 am

since your not starting till june that gives me time to finish up on two wedding quilts, so this sounds fun count me in

Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:28 am

Polska have you made a list of those that are going to join in on this fun project ?? I can hardly wait to get started.... trying to finish up lots of things before June..

Golo

Back to top Go down
memaw4

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:01 pm

Sew am I golo. I want to have most of my things done before I start on something new. I plan to do this reguardless. I'm making it in honor of my dad who worked on the rail road, but giving it to my hubby for Christmas. Now whether he'll like it or now is another question.

He isn't like a lot of your husbands. Most of you have husbands who really get into your quilting. Help you pick out colors and fabrics, well, mine could care less. To him it's just a quilt. He doesn't go all crazy over it. At least not to me. I'll show him something I've made and ask what he thinks and he just looks at it and says, "its all right." If he'd bragged to anyone about it, I'd really be surprised and "honored" at the same time. Most likely fall flat on my face from shock!

But, he's a good guy in so many other ways.
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:13 am

I made a box for this BOM last week (currently reorganizing shelves). Looking forward to this project.
Back to top Go down
memaw4

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:15 am

So am I. Getting a few thing finished up as we speak and type! One museum vest finished, one coat 80% done. One coat and vest left to go! Mystery BOM is coming along great. We're in month 4. Sew.........

By June I'll be totally ready to go......
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:21 am

DON'T FORGET, WE ARE IN THE BOM SECTION SINCE THIS IS NOT GOING TO BE A SWAP.
So look there and post there so we are all on same page, and no one misses anything.

THANK YOU!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:27 am

Calico-Chris: can you send a pic of your box? Is it just a box or did you decor it? Got me thinking, instead of buying plastic things all the time and trying to find which project is in which one....I have and get cardboard boxes. I could decor it with the project in hands theme.

Memaw4: pictures....I would like to see the vest. (do you watch The Big Bang Theory? Sheldon has a memaw.)
Back to top Go down
memaw4

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:23 pm

Polska, never heard of the show..... The Big Bang Theory or Sheldon. YES, as soon as I'm finished with all of these items I will take pics and post. They don't need them until October, but my plans are to have them finished by the end of this month!

I have too many other projects to get done. I really don't wanta be working on the clothes all summer long. Get them done and out the door........
Back to top Go down
memaw4

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:44 pm

Polska, I went back and reread the first page. In the back of the Hobo book is a sample of several quilts. One is called "Riding The Rails." (pg.158) If it's OK with everyone, would you mind if I made this one? I'll make the blocks every month along with the rest of you.

I just seen that quilt and it reminded me of my dad, and I knew I had to make it. This quilt is going to be dedciated in his memory. He was a railroad worker all his life and rode the cars a lot. This quilt just seem fitting.

I wasn't sure how many blocks you had planned to make, but this one calls for 24 blocks. I'm using the one's they have used.

Thanks everyone!
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:45 pm

I don't think we have a set quilt we are all making....please someone correct me if i'm wrong.
Making whatever you like with how many blocks you choose to make is more my speed.
This is a sew along not a swap...correct??

Polska...the box is nothing special. I think they are made for DVD's I buy them at IKEA, they are light cardboard and you have to fold and put screws in them so they are somewhat sturdy.

Like this only smaller...size closer to that of a shoebox

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50224272/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:35 pm

Is memaw a common name for grandma in the US ? I notice on Facebook there are quite a few memaws . I had never heard it before .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:11 pm

Henny Penny: I only know one memaw...I hear nana a lot, but only with in the last 7 yrs. Its all new to me and I was born in US. I want to be called Babka or Grandma.

Calico: thank you. My hunny says he has a better idea. Start one project at a time finish it before you start another one and you won't need anything for unfinished or working on projects.....WHAT EVER!!

Memaw: We each pick two blocks a month. The months go in the order your listed. How many blocks and how many months it goes on for is up to everyone.
Back to top Go down
redmadder

Number of posts : 3403

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:40 am

I found a used book on Amazon for less than $11.00.
Back to top Go down
redmadder

Number of posts : 3403

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:44 am

My book should be on the way. Found it used on Amazon for less than $11.00.
Back to top Go down
memaw4

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:19 am

redmadder wrote:
I found a used book on Amazon for less than $11.00.

That's where I got mine too! I think! It may have been Barns and Noble! Almost for the same price too! WooHoo

Henny, that's just what the first grand daughter starting calling me and of course all the others except the last one ...... Ella calls me that. She has to be different and call me ..... memoo. I love it! We have 4 grandkids. 3 girls and a boy. 2 of the GK's call my hubby papaw and the other two call him peapaw. Go figure! Again, I love it......
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:52 pm

We each pick two blocks a month?
or
We each pick two blocks (once) on the month you are assigned?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:36 pm

Book: Hobo quilts by Debr G Henninger

Polska - June ANYTHING GOES PG 17 & BREAD PG 39

Golo - July Riding the Rails and Mullican Stew (doing both) page 15 & 23

Redwork- Aug ok and housewife feeds for chores

Mema4 - Sept Numbers 140 and 144 also, working on Riding the Rails

Calico_Chris = October Pg. 26, Sit Down Feed (note corrections -The four white squares should be cut to 2", not 1 3⁄4"), Page 108 Kind Hearted Lady

Redmadder =November Page 85 Go This Way and Page 125 Road Spoiled - Full of Hobos

Breezpine - December

Bad Drinking Water
page 22
First red rectangle should measure 1 1⁄2" × 61⁄2", not 1 1⁄4" × 6 1⁄2"
Black rectangle should measure 3⁄4" × 1 1⁄2", not 7⁄8" × 1 1⁄2"

Dangerous Drinking Water
page 56
Second red piece should be a 11⁄2" square, not a 2" × 1 1⁄2" rectangle
Third red piece should be 3⁄4" × 1 1⁄2", not 1" × 1 1⁄2"
First white piece should be 2" × 1 1⁄2", not 1 1⁄2" × 1"
Third white piece should be 7⁄8" × 1", not 1 × 1 1⁄2"

Housewife Feeds for Chores
page 100
First white piece should be 1 1⁄2" × 6 1⁄2", not 1" × 6 1⁄2"

No One Home
page 112
Piece C should be 1" × 5", not 1" × 4"
Piece I should be 1 1⁄2" × 3", not 1 1⁄2" × 2 1⁄2"

Poor Man
page 118
You should cut twelve 1 7⁄8" dark and light triangles instead of 8.

Sit-Down Feed
page 128
The four white squares should be cut to 2", not 1 3⁄4"

Ridin’ the Rails Engine Block
page 162
Piece 2B should be 6" × 3 1⁄2", not 5" × 3 1⁄2"

If you like, then we can keep on going.

Last edited by Polska on Mon May 28, 2012 1:08 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
memaw4

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:10 pm

Polska, Since I'm making the quilt called, "Riding the Rails," I don't feel it would be fair of me to ask the others to select those blocks to make just because I need them. So, I've decided to drop out. I'll post my blocks as I make them for all of you too see.

Thanks
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:52 pm

Memaw, its up to you. But I for one wouldn't mind making Riding the Rails. I wouldn't have any problems incorp. it into a quilt. I don't think others would mind either. In fact maybe that is one they also might want to work on.

I am not taking you until think about it more. I would have picked one of the blocks, being a train lover, but knowing you want to make this quilt I figured it would blocks you would pick.
I would wait and see what everyone else thinks/feels and then make up your mind.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hobo Quilt   Today at 1:18 pm

Back to top Go down

Hobo Quilt
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next