The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wishing you all a Happy and Peaceful Holiday Season

Share | 

Quiltville Mystery Quilt

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Gumbiecat

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Quiltville Mystery Quilt   Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:52 pm

finisher wrote:
can anybody talk me out of making all of those little pieces?

:sigh: Thanks a bunch, Finisher, now you've got me eyeing up the quilt, too! My Tennessee Waltz quilt has 22 Snowball blocks in it, I have at least one other quilt that generated "bonus triangles" and I have strips left over from bargello and the strips quilt... doh

...so, are you going to do it? :tongue:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quiltville Mystery Quilt   Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:53 pm

I spent about 6 hours cutting the greens and creams into strips (I also cut 1 1/2" strips for the log cabin bin) I then cut the strips into squares so I could mix the fabrics better..but they could have been sewn as strips then cut into sections. I've gotten most of the paired squares sewn and they are in a heap behind my sewing machine waiting to be pressed. Then I can make them into 4 patches. So far..just mindless paring of squares and feeding through the machine. Easy Peezy! I needed a good sewing session. I feel like I've gotten something accomplished today. It feels great! Cheesy
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

Number of posts : 1439
Registration date : 2008-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Quiltville Mystery Quilt   Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:38 pm

:yahoo: YAY!! I like it when other people can get in a good sewing session! I rarely can so I feel like when someone else has, I have too. LOL! I am so silly! :joker:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quiltville Mystery Quilt   Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:33 pm

I took my jumble of sub units over to ironing board to press them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quiltville Mystery Quilt   Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:36 pm

On Bonnie's Quiltville site she suggested that we just pull our string of sub units over to the ironing board and flip open, press, then clip apart. I was shocked at how much faster that was than cutting the units apart before pressing!

Last edited by finisher on Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quiltville Mystery Quilt   Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:39 pm

I ended up with 443 4 patches. The pattern called for 182. I'll need some for making the quilt bigger..but thought I could always use extras! It was easier to just cut 2 strips from each green and light than to do the math. Those 388 half square units (plus a few extra) I'll be needing don't sound so daunting now!
Back to top Go down
hummerlou

Number of posts : 3937
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Quiltville Mystery Quilt   Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:23 pm

Wow, you have been busy! Wonderful!
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: Quiltville Mystery Quilt   Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:18 am

FINISHER, YOU STOP THAT RIGHT NOW!!! YOU ARE PUTTING THE REST OF US TO SHAME!!!!!!!

Just kidding! You are so amazing. I wish I had time to do that! Kids are so much work! UGH!!! :bball:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quiltville Mystery Quilt   Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:03 pm

Well..finally after several interruptions and distractions..I have 238 pinwheels made for the Tobacco Road quilt! whew
[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: Quiltville Mystery Quilt   Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:53 pm

HOLY COW!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quiltville Mystery Quilt   Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:54 pm

I finally got the Tobacco Road Mystery quilt top together.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quiltville Mystery Quilt   Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:07 pm

I guess I have spirits in my room? IT doesn't show up as clear here, but in the pics I loaded on My PhotoBucket site there are orbs of light in each photo. There was nothing on the lens. EVERY pic I took today..6 in all..had these orbs!
Back to top Go down
hummerlou

Number of posts : 3937

PostSubject: Re: Quiltville Mystery Quilt   Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:07 pm

WOW!!!! Ann, that is absolutely breathtaking!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quiltville Mystery Quilt   Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:14 pm

Thank HL. It was fun to make!
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13244

PostSubject: Re: Quiltville Mystery Quilt   Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:03 pm

AOL, did you sew in your sleep? That is absolutely beautiful... love the colors you used.. I like the narrow gold border you inserted... Have you thought how you are going to quilt it ?

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quiltville Mystery Quilt   Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:25 am

It went together pretty fast once the 4 patches and pinwheels were made. I added the narrow gold piece because the edges were all on the bias...and then a few more inches of the dark fabric to make it the size I wanted. It ended up 88.5 x 88.5". A nice generous Queen. I think I'll quilt it with a cable coming down the dark fabrics and in the ditch on the smaller light pieces? I'll hand quilt this one.
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: Quiltville Mystery Quilt   Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:02 pm

:sigh: I wish I had that kind of time. I have to pop on here every once in a while and can only stay for 5 minutes before house becomes endangered. LOL! That top is lovely!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quiltville Mystery Quilt   Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:40 pm

LOL..it's gets better once the kids are older PK. I remember when my kids were young I went for years wishing I could drink one cup of coffee in the morning and finish it while it was still hot! It seemed like something always interrupted me. I've earned this "me time". I was the caretaker for both of my Brother's kids and my Sis's too later. I didn't used to get much of anything done!
Back to top Go down
PrincessKris

PostSubject: Re: Quiltville Mystery Quilt   Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:09 pm

LOL! I have to say, I feel like I am earning it, too! When it finally comes, I do not know what I will do with myself! LOL!
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 20333

PostSubject: Re: Quiltville Mystery Quilt   Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:54 pm

I cant believe I never got to read this thread, Im so behind here cry2 You are all wonderful encouraging Ann 'not' to make this quilt lmao AnnieOakLeaves - this is beautiful, I love it, Im gonna keep saying it too, I love it, I love it, I love it. Your kids would go nuts to recieve this quilt for xmas, what a gift, oh wow :gift1: give it to them for xmas mum
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quiltville Mystery Quilt   Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:56 am

This one made me feel pretty foolish. When I posted about it, I thought there was real interest. When people tell me to post plenty of pics I take the words at face value and think they mean it. It's hard to tell when you can't see someone's face..if they are sniggering, rolling their eyes, feigning interest to be polite, or sincerely mean it. Posting things on the internet sure is humbling.
The finished top has been posted for a couple of weeks now, with very little response...so I guess that tells me plenty. THANK YOU Lou, Golo, Kris, and Gimpy for the kind words! You've made me feel like posting pics wasn't just a waste of time. I'll try not to be so naive next time. I'm still learning! :D
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13244

PostSubject: Re: Quiltville Mystery Quilt   Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:43 am

Aol, I think everyone enjoys your works and your pictures... but we all get busy with life and sometimes just reading the post is all we can do... I think we have all posted something with very little response and we wonder why we bothered, but I really don't think that is the case... I think we enjoy everything everyone does on here, I know I do... but I don't always comment or sometimes I just comment in the gallary under their picture... but I really love what everyone does and it always gives me new ideas and wanna do s..... and makes me curious to what new things I can do... So please don't feel under appreciated....we really love all your work.... Thumbup

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
ashlawnfarms

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2008-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Quiltville Mystery Quilt   Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:23 pm

Annie-I am brand new here today-just read through this mystery quilt thread and WOW! That is absolutely awesome and really a great job! You should be proud of that! I am blown away with some of the creative methods behind quilting - to make it more interesting to create. You certainly have tackled a task many would walk away from-it inspires me to try a mystery quilt sometime....hopefully soon. Thanks for sharing this!
Back to top Go down
BearFoot

Number of posts : 901

PostSubject: Re: Quiltville Mystery Quilt   Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:51 pm

I don't remember seeing this thread. I think this must have been while I was traveling to Washington and Colorado and trying to keep up with everything. Your quilt is wonderful, AOL. It is a beautiful quilt and you did a great job.

Thank you, Ash, for bringing this thread back to the top cause I think I missed it the first time! Thumbup
Back to top Go down
Mamu

Number of posts : 4566
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Quiltville Mystery Quilt   Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:25 am

I missed it too.... went back and viewed Aol quilt...WOW, that is really nice quilt Thumbup I have gotten (in my old age) to not like pin wheel blocks...to sew that is....I like looking at what others have done with them. Aol, I am thinking that you are about half nuts to make so many pin wheel blocks.... yikes :affraid:

Laura living in NW Montana

<<< "Quilter's share a common thread" >>>
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quiltville Mystery Quilt   Today at 5:14 pm

Back to top Go down

Quiltville Mystery Quilt
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next