The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wishing you all a Happy and Peaceful Holiday Season

Share | 

New ? Product

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: New ? Product   Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:18 am

Title: New(?) product
Post by: missmommy on March 18, 2008, 07:03:46 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another board, a quilter talked about a new marking pencil that her applique teacher raved about....so she bought it. Bohin mechanical chalk pencil (not the crayonish one). I generall use the Clover white marking pen for marking on dark fabric but being a gadget junkie, I thought I'd give it a try. Anyone out there ever use the Bohin mechanical chalk pencil?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Title: Re: New(?) product
Post by: finisher on March 18, 2008, 07:14:59 AM

I hadn't heard of the mechanical chalk pencil. I think I'd like it. My complaint with other chalk pencils is that they make a fairly wide mark and they have to be sharpened frequently. It sounds like the mechanical pencil would take care of both of those problems! If you get one..please let us know how you like it?

Post by: missmommy on March 18, 2008, 09:36:16 AM

Will do, Finisher! I'm going to check my lqs first but will probably have to order it on line. I love getting packages in the mail. :grin:

Post by: quiltbrain on March 19, 2008, 02:40:27 PM

MM - I would love to hear about your mechanical chalk pencil. I can't seem to find anything I like to mark on dark fabric. :tickedoff:

Post by: masufa on March 19, 2008, 08:35:15 PM

Fons and Porter makes one. You can get it at Joann's, I comes with about 6 white and several different colored chalks. I think it is around 6.oo

Post by: QBee - Mary Ann on March 19, 2008, 09:16:07 PM

I have the Bohin pencil. It does easily mark a nice thin line and has no wax at all. It came with several white refills and a few of different colors. I haven't tried the colors yet. However - if you want a nice point you still have to sharpen the chalk, which I've found to be a bit bothersome. Unless the piece of chalk is still fairly long, you need to remove it from the pencil (which isn't hard at all, really) and hold the chalk in your fingers to make it reach into the sharpener. Despite that - I'd have to say it's the nicest chalk pencil I've come across. QBee

Post by: Schnookie on March 25, 2008, 04:02:29 PM

http://www.bohin.fr/en/iso_album/crayon_craie_2_usa_sans_prix.jpg

You can see the write up on it at the link above. I think this looks like something that everyone might need at some point in time :tongue:

Schnookie

Post by: jessie s on March 25, 2008, 06:34:48 PM

Last week needed a pencil to mark a quilt. Couldn't find my white pencil so on scrap tried the darker marking pencil. Had trouble getting it off. Then tried the whitening pencil used to whiten under nails to give a temporary French Manicure look. It worked, made a nice fine line, easily seen and brushed off easily. You can pick them up in any cosmetic dept quite cheaply. So going to use the nail pencil. jessie s

Post by: Luv2sew on March 25, 2008, 06:37:33 PM

Jessie, what a great idea! Good for you! Leave it to a quilter to come up with something great! :afro: The best thing about it is the price. That will be much more reasonable, won't it.

Post by: golo on March 25, 2008, 06:51:35 PM

I am definetly going to try that... thanks for the tip.... :afro:

Post by: QBee - Mary Ann on March 26, 2008, 08:40:28 AM

About the Bohin chalk pencil - I learned on another forum that there are two versions. One with fine lead, one with the thicker chalk. Mine has the thicker chalk and does make a nice line when sharpened. Missmommy - did you order the one with the finer lead? Please let us know what you think of it. QBee

Post by: missmommy on March 27, 2008, 03:28:54 AM

Quote from: QueenBee on March 26, 2008, 08:40:28 AM
About the Bohin chalk pencil - I learned on another forum that there are two versions. One with fine lead, one with the thicker chalk. Mine has the thicker chalk and does make a nice line when sharpened. Missmommy - did you order the one with the finer lead? Please let us know what you think of it. QBee

Yes, I ordered the fine line one from www.petalplay.com . Best price and they had the refills (bought them too) and very reasonable shipping...total $21.25 (pencil, refills, S&H). I should have it soon and I'll promise a full report!

Masufa - the one at Joanns is NOT the fine line one. But I understand that F&P will have it available in June through Connecting Threads...but why wait? go to petalplay.com

Post by: masufa on March 27, 2008, 08:23:14 AM

thanks Missmonny, that is a interesting site never been there before. They have the chalk pencil set I bought from Joann's at that site also it's near the bottom of the page. you are right the one you suggested is a smaller point.

Mary

Post by: golo on March 27, 2008, 09:23:29 AM

Thanks Miss Mommy for the site.... I went and ordered the pencil set..... I have ordered from there before... did their African Violet kit.. was fun to do and different... azn

Post by: missmommy on March 27, 2008, 10:10:00 AM

Happy to contribute to the addiction.... :whistling:
Back to top Go down

New ? Product
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1