The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.
 
HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  



Wishing you all a Happy and Peaceful Holiday Season


Share | 
 

 Short arm anyone?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
QBee - Mary Ann



Number of posts : 4205
Age : 66
Location : Granite Falls Minnesota
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Short arm anyone?   Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:29 pm

The Frixion pens iron away nicely, BUT you must draw with a very light hand. Otherwise, the color will iron away but a whitish mark will be left behind.

I've experimented with paper and with Golden Threads paper which is made specifically for the purpose. If your design is intricate with small spaces, getting the paper removed is sooooo time consuming. Ugh. I know there are recommendations about what markers you should use and warnings about how the needle will pick up some markers and carry into your thread and onto your fabric. I'm sorry I don't remember the recommendations. If I come across the info I'll let you know.

I just recently got a chalk pencil that's supposed to disappear with ironing, but I haven't tried it yet. And it's white. Don't know if it's available in other colors.
Back to top Go down
lowjane



Number of posts : 250
Location : Ottawa, On
Registration date : 2012-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Short arm anyone?   Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:57 am

QBee - Mary Ann wrote:
The Frixion pens iron away nicely, BUT you must draw with a very light hand. Otherwise, the color will iron away but a whitish mark will be left behind.

I've experimented with paper and with Golden Threads paper which is made specifically for the purpose. If your design is intricate with small spaces, getting the paper removed is sooooo time consuming. Ugh. I know there are recommendations about what markers you should use and warnings about how the needle will pick up some markers and carry into your thread and onto your fabric. I'm sorry I don't remember the recommendations. If I come across the info I'll let you know.

I just recently got a chalk pencil that's supposed to disappear with ironing, but I haven't tried it yet. And it's white. Don't know if it's available in other colors.

My biggest fear is........

1) I purchase a pen just arrived and it has an eraser with it!
2) I was at a frabic shop snooping and a lady came to me- DONT USE PURPLE- she did it would not come out!- white or blue are ok she said
3) Another used the iron away Pen all was fine and then it reappeared 6 months later- dark blue-

*The chalks were recommended and a pounce block- oh I forgot about the pounce block that may be an option if I make my paper pattern and then run over it with the DSM no thread and then pounce away , hopefully that the pattern will not smudge away............ OH WE are getting closer!

I saw the whole clothes for sale at $69 with the pattern on them, you have to stitch right on the line, the pattern doesn't wash off. SO that is pricey and dangerous. HAHA

I am so glad that you popped in to keep my grey matter active and thinking
I would have not remembered about meeting the ladies in the shop and their warnings
I will post news about my pen/eraser when I give it a try to see how it does!

Thanks so much!
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts
Moderator


Number of posts : 9707
Age : 57
Location : Heart of Texas
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Short arm anyone?   Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:12 am

Some tips I read for using the pounce:
Use a lg needle on your machine so yours holes are big enough for the chalk to get through.
Use chalk sparingly or it tends to "bounce" around while quilting.
A very light spray of hairspray helps keep it in place.

Haven't tried them, just read them.

Have tried paper and like Qbee said, it works but is a bit tedious to remove. Dampening with a clean sponge helps to tear it off easier. And tweezers come in very handy. winking

I always thought those pre printed whole cloths were for handquilting. There is no way I would try one with a machine. Just thinking about the mess I would make makes me cringe. Shocked

As far as playing with the big kids.....trust me, you are quite qualified. My machine is definitely bigger than my talent. Thud

_________________
TxMaryQuilts    

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697


Last edited by TxMaryQuilts on Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lowjane



Number of posts : 250
Location : Ottawa, On
Registration date : 2012-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Short arm anyone?   Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:28 pm



Thanks TXmary

We scored, I tried a small experiment with the pounce and it did work and I think it was the hairspray trick that did it for me. I tired the white and blue and both were fine, the blue is a little iffy if you put too much on and then try to get it off. I was concerned about the chalk coming off as I twirled my quilt

I have just also tried the sewline Duo Marker and Eraser, the marker is a brownish color and came right off. I followed the instructions, I mentioned that sizing may interfer with the erasing of the product. However I did not find that on my test piece.. So the trick would be to test it on the fabric that I would be quilting on!

I am getting closer!
Back to top Go down
shemoocows



Number of posts : 646
Age : 53
Location : glen oak, nsw Australia
Registration date : 2008-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Short arm anyone?   Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:39 am

Hi all,
Well my midarm machine is now sold and out of the house. Now to look at longarm. WHAT do I get next?
Handiquilt? mmm
I too agree the cost of machines can get too expensive. Where do i start and stop. This is going to be fun for me but not the hubby when i decide lol
cheers
Back to top Go down
lowjane



Number of posts : 250
Location : Ottawa, On
Registration date : 2012-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Short arm anyone?   Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:37 am

shemoocows wrote:
Hi all,
Well my midarm machine is now sold and out of the house. Now to look at longarm. WHAT do I get next?
Handiquilt? mmm
I too agree the cost of machines can get too expensive. Where do i start and stop. This is going to be fun for me but not the hubby when i decide lol
cheers

Have fun there is a lot to choose from and it is mind boggling!
It is too bad we just can't rent them for 6 months and trade them in for another model..Oh I forgot there may be a learning curve I may have to rent one for a year.. Dear Hubby........................ lmao
Back to top Go down
lowjane



Number of posts : 250
Location : Ottawa, On
Registration date : 2012-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Short arm anyone?   Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:55 am

shemoocows wrote:
Hi all,
Well my midarm machine is now sold and out of the house. Now to look at longarm. WHAT do I get next?
Handiquilt? mmm
I too agree the cost of machines can get too expensive. Where do i start and stop. This is going to be fun for me but not the hubby when i decide lol
cheers

SO many decisions, I would think that you want to set a limit on your spending first and then work down from there. I also found a few quilt shops that would let you try their machines. The other suggestion is to take some lessons and then use their machine for one quilt- you will be out of few dollars but you will know what you do or do not want. When you could be spending $18K what is another $100. The one quilt shop I visited had all the bells and whistles on their demo and that was a good deal in my opinion because you could try out EVERYTHING of course with supervision!! Have fun and keep us in the loop
Back to top Go down
Mamu



Number of posts : 4566
Age : 64
Location : NW Montana
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Short arm anyone?   Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:02 pm

If I could make a suggestion here.... look at this forum http://apqs.com/quiltboard/

there is ALOT of information on all sorts of machines in this forum. Although it is primarily APQS machines...there are many, many postings that talk about all types of machines. Also, there is a section where you can look at used machines that are being sold...you can get some really good deals here.

I have come to the conclusion that alot of the bells and whistles are really not needed with some of these machines. Like the under thread cutter...most of the time it doesn't work well, so why have it? You can get an older machine and add things to it as you decide what you want and need. When I decide to upgrade my system I will be getting the motorized advance and motorized adjustable height as DH and I both use the machine..so this would be handy. Also channel locks are really handy.

I do like the Innova machines really well....even though I currently have a APQS. I would love to have the IQ computer system...but can do without since it is so expensive.

_________________
**** MAMU ****

Laura living in NW Montana

<<< "Quilter's share a common thread" >>>
Back to top Go down
lowjane



Number of posts : 250
Location : Ottawa, On
Registration date : 2012-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Short arm anyone?   Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:26 pm

Mamu wrote:
If I could make a suggestion here.... look at this forum http://apqs.com/quiltboard/

there is ALOT of information on all sorts of machines in this forum. Although it is primarily APQS machines...there are many, many postings that talk about all types of machines. Also, there is a section where you can look at used machines that are being sold...you can get some really good deals here.

I have come to the conclusion that alot of the bells and whistles are really not needed with some of these machines. Like the under thread cutter...most of the time it doesn't work well, so why have it? You can get an older machine and add things to it as you decide what you want and need. When I decide to upgrade my system I will be getting the motorized advance and motorized adjustable height as DH and I both use the machine..so this would be handy. Also channel locks are really handy.

I do like the Innova machines really well....even though I currently have a APQS. I would love to have the IQ computer system...but can do without since it is so expensive.

You are correct on all accounts. Used equipment is hard to come by and often scooped up really quickly in our region. I have had my eye on the machines for sale on several sites, biggest problem is that they are usually 1000 miles from where I live. HAHA I am sure that hubby has arranged it. Thank you for all your advice I appreciate it,
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel



Number of posts : 11568
Age : 72
Location : Trinity Co. California
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Short arm anyone?   Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:46 pm

My guild bought a very well used Nolting from a former quilter, about 1995. We had it for many years then bought another used, reconditioned Nolting from the factory a couple of years ago. It came with lots of advice and tech support. The general view of most of the LAers in this area is that the only add-on that really mattered was a stitch regulator, which none of the experts need any more. A few of the locals use computer generated patterns, but most prefer to make their own patterns to go with the individual block and quilt. some start out with a ponce bag and stencil to do "canned" patterns. The local experts no longer do that. One thing to consider is the size of quilts you plan to do. Some tables are up to14'. Obviously those are more expensive, but if you see King sized quilts in your future, that's the the size you want.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Short arm anyone?   Today at 10:01 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Short arm anyone?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» 4.5" Short Wheel Base Foden & 4.5" Foden Artic
» Dyna MKIII fallen short of upgradeing caps.
» A Short Imperial Guard Story [revised]
» Some Places to Publish Short Stories Online
» WTB: 97 or 98 Chevy/GMC Ext cab, short box, 4x4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Quilter's Last Resort :: Patchwork and Quilting :: Quilting: Hand, Machine and Long Arm-
Jump to: