The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wishing you all a Happy and Peaceful Holiday Season

Share | 

Charity Quilts

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next
AuthorMessage
DusteeInIowa

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Charity Quilts   Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:46 am

Finisher, I am glad they got the glitch fixed. I was a little worried there for awhile. I was afraid we were losing our site.

I am enjoying this too much to lose it. I am having a lot of fun and love chatting and sharing with all of you.

Dustee
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

Number of posts : 11559
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Charity Quilts   Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:36 am

Friday, I had to go in for Physical therapy. As we were leaving the house, DH asked me which quilts were ready to be donated to the charity that is down the road from the PT place. I donated 6: 5 baby and one twin. It was kinda neat. Everyone came out of their offices to go OOOH and AAAAH. This group supplies new bedding to all needy new mothers and to all children going into out-of-home placement in our county. DH and I often say that every child deserves to feel that someone cares that s/he is alive. I'll deliver another 15 or 20 by the end of the year.

Of course, one reason DH was so eager to get this batch delivered is the fact that our single wide trailer is vastly overcrowded, but another reason is that he grew up very poor and wished he had had something like these quilts.

I no sooner started a major housecleaning than I found several whole or nearly whole charity quilt tops. I've GOT to get cracking here.
Back to top Go down
Cottonpicker

Number of posts : 206

PostSubject: Re: Charity Quilts   Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:33 am

Marynel, I think you must never stop moving from dawn to dust from all that you accomplish!!! I often feel very lazy when I see all that you manage to do. Hug Thumbup
Back to top Go down
Cottonpicker

Number of posts : 206

PostSubject: Re: Charity Quilts   Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:34 am

CORRECTION! I meant DUSK!!! lmao
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts : 9699

PostSubject: Re: Charity Quilts   Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:20 pm

I liked "dust' better. It gave me an inage of her moving so fast she was concealed in a cloud of dust!!!! lmao

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

PostSubject: Re: Charity Quilts   Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:06 am

Dustee, yes, I remember you also. I'm glad you made it here. First, you don't HAVE TO do any particular project to be a member in good standing around here. We're glad to have you just for yourself. Second, there are few days when I work from dawn to dusk, ot dust either. For one thing, I don't get up until I am good and ready.

Mary, if you think I accomplish a great deal, you have to understand that I have no children or grandchildren where I can lay hands on them. I can't garden any more. I am a truly awful housekeeper, only in part because of my pain in standing and walking. I try to combine projects. For example, while I am fixing a cup of tea, I wash dishes until the water boils. What does not get done then, waits. The real deal, however, is that I work fairly efficiently. At our recent guild retreat, I arrived late and left early, but got 2 quilt tops done and another one well started. These were the fairly simple projects that everyone was working on together.

Another thing is that I rarely throw out a project. If I make something and don't like it for that purpose, it usually becomes part of something else, eventually. This evening I finished a quilt top that has an extra block from a 2003 quilt as its center. The baby quilt I finished today has blocks with "ugly" cat prints as the centers. Since I really don't like to bind quilts, my charity baby quilts (and quilts for use in my home) most often are made pillowcase style.
Back to top Go down
iambuzzysma

Number of posts : 1970
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Charity Quilts   Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:33 pm

PersimmonQuilts is doing a 5 day mystery Quilt of Valor starting Nov. 7 & ending for Veterans Day, Nov. 11. The first clue is up. I bought my fabric but decided I can't do it in 5 days so I'm going to print the clues & save it as a PIG (another one! LOL). Here's the link:

http://www.persimmonquilts.com/QOVMystFOUR-Homepage.html
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

PostSubject: Re: Charity Quilts   Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:53 am

I spent last night and today making another quilt top that will go to a local charity when it is done. I have intended to do this for years and had the Column fabric at least 3 years, maybe more. When I was sorting scraps, I realized I had enough 3.5" squares to get the job done...at least I thought I did. I had to cut 10 more light colored squares.[url=][/url]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charity Quilts   Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:02 am

I really like strippy quilts..and your looks fantastic Marynel! I guess it pays to sort through things once in a while? It sounds like you had a real good head start on this beauty. Thumbup
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269

PostSubject: Re: Charity Quilts   Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:09 am

Excellent marynel.......I really like the pattern and the colors.
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13244
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Charity Quilts   Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:13 am

I like your use of fabrics.... I will have to try that with my scraps... thats a really nice quilt

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

PostSubject: Re: Charity Quilts   Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:49 pm

Of course, this is a very traditional quilt. The first one I saw was from a "local" family. They live 3 miles from the nearest road, 10 miles in the winter. It seems that when the parents hike out to go shopping, they give kids assignments to keep them out of trouble. The assignment for that day was to make all the 4 patches and the on-point settings, with the treadle sewing machine, as they have no electricity. I'd say they earn their monthly treats.
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

PostSubject: Re: Charity Quilts   Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:51 am

After a couple of months without finishing anything but my leg cozy, I finally finished something today. It's not my best work, but it will keep a baby warm.

[url=][/url]
Back to top Go down
iambuzzysma

PostSubject: Re: Charity Quilts   Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:36 am

Bright & cheery Marynel. Perfect for a little one. Good job. Thumbup
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13244

PostSubject: Re: Charity Quilts   Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:39 am

thats pretty, Marynel and I like your quilting on it too....

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

PostSubject: Re: Charity Quilts   Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:35 pm

Thanks. I had fun with the quilting.
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

PostSubject: Re: Charity Quilts   Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:28 am

Our cleaning person won't be coming this week, which is Ok, but the reason has me a little sick. She has just become a foster parent for 3 kids, youngest 2 weeks old. The mother and older children (3,5) were severely abused. The mother is in the hospital. After I hung up, DH and I talked about it for maybe 2 minutes and decided that the kids needed quilts from us, so we just delivered them. The baby (Serenity) has huge tumors and will be going in to a med school clinic on Monday. The two girls are absolute sweethearts. The (older) boy is more badly damaged emotionally and will need a lot of help. We gave the older 2 their choices. The middle child latched onto the 4 patch tracks quilt, that DH had claimed earlier. She is painfully shy, but has a lovely smile.

When we got there, Cody Byrd began singing and calling, "Hello, Hello, Hello, Cody Byrd". DH played with him for several minutes.

After we left, I pointed out to Roy that she had chosen HIS quilt. He said, "She needs it more than I do".

Neither of us understand how a peron can take belts and bats to little children. Our friend's DH refuses to go to where the #@!#$@!@# is, even for official stuff, because he fears he might do damge to that person. DH and I are, of course, also angered by this.

Of course, having driven over the mountains, we had to go out for a nice dinner.
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269

PostSubject: Re: Charity Quilts   Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:26 am

How very upsetting this must have been and how wonderful that these children now know that people can deliver kindness instead of whippings. You may never know the full impact of your gifts. Bravo to you Marynel.
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

Number of posts : 4205

PostSubject: Re: Charity Quilts   Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:17 am

QMN - Those stories tear at our heartstrings when we hear them about strangers; having it so up close and personal is far more difficult. I wish you and your DH joy and peace.
Back to top Go down
texasmusicmom

Number of posts : 6795
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Charity Quilts   Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:37 am

You were in the right place at the right time to do something loving and kind for those kids who didn't even know there are loving and kind people in this world. Thanks for what you did for them.....it's always great when you can step in and help! hug08 As for the parents of those poor kids.....someday....they WILL get their just rewards...in this world or the next.
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

PostSubject: Re: Charity Quilts   Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:06 pm

I know I am married to the right guy. He understood immediately that WE needed to give these children hugs to wrap themselves in. He knows my passion for children.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charity Quilts   Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:16 pm

Those kinds of stories break my heart Marynel. cry2 Things like that just shouldn't happen! You are always so generous with your quilts. I'm sure they'll enjoy them for years to come? Thumbup
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

PostSubject: Re: Charity Quilts   Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:49 am

I find it very difficult to believe what people do to other people, especially children. I do not understand how we expect to have a future if children are constantly being harmed but not educated.

BTW, I have only skimmed the surface of what I heard about these particular kids and their druggy father.
Back to top Go down
hummerlou

Number of posts : 3936

PostSubject: Re: Charity Quilts   Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:26 am

What a wonderful thing to be able to do! I'm sure those little ones will treasure those quilts forever!!
Back to top Go down
iambuzzysma

PostSubject: Re: Charity Quilts   Tue May 12, 2009 7:58 am

These are Guardian Angel blocks I made for a group Hospice quilt. I love the block & could see a quilt with angels & stars in all different blues & yellows. Someday..............

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Charity Quilts   Today at 2:48 pm

Back to top Go down

Charity Quilts
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 23Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12 ... 23  Next