The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wishing you all a Happy and Peaceful Holiday Season

Share | 

QLR Xmas Design BOM 2013

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 20333
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: QLR Xmas Design BOM 2013   Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:48 am

Hi, I drew up a xmas design, could be done as applique or embroidered as a stitchery. Room for embellishments, you could use just one design for a wallhanging or put them all together as a quilt which is what I want to do. Im happy to share it if anyone wants it, Id have to post a copy of the pattern to you but am happy to do it and share with friends. Besides, Im hoping someone will make it as Id love to see different interpretations of it winking

pressie

Last edited by Gimpy Cat on Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
sewn3w

Number of posts : 5038
Registration date : 2012-04-18

PostSubject: Re: QLR Xmas Design BOM 2013   Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:56 am

How sweet that little snowman is with his cardinal buddy! Love the whole design. If I weren't so stacked with projects would love to do him.
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: QLR Xmas Design BOM 2013   Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:09 am

Helen that is an adorable xmas design!
Back to top Go down
Linda 2B

Number of posts : 3406

PostSubject: Re: QLR Xmas Design BOM 2013   Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:44 am

Helen,
That is so cute I would love a copy! If you send it I will make it!
Back to top Go down
memaw4

Number of posts : 9479

PostSubject: Re: QLR Xmas Design BOM 2013   Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:55 am

Oh how cute gimpy! How big will it be? You know I'll want one! I can have it finished by ........ 2013 Christmas! That could be our project for next year ya know. Then we'd all have all year to do it! Just sayin'.........Very Happy Come on ladies, think of the fun you'd have as gimpy said, "embellishing" it. Bet we'd end up with some pretty fancy looking Christmas designs.......
Back to top Go down
Krafty Lady

Number of posts : 12840

PostSubject: Re: QLR Xmas Design BOM 2013   Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:58 pm

Helen that is so cute, I would love to have a copy too. You are so talented,

The hurrier I go the behinder I get!
http://s632.photobucket.com/albums/uu46/suziq-41/
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13244

PostSubject: Re: QLR Xmas Design BOM 2013   Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:52 pm

I am seeing so many different things made up with those design... I think I want to play with the pudding and the bells... and noel...

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

Number of posts : 2276
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: QLR Xmas Design BOM 2013   Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:26 pm

OMG! That's adorable! Me! Me! Next year! Next year! lmao lmao

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
memaw4

PostSubject: Re: QLR Xmas Design BOM 2013   Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:15 pm

I'm seeing some really pretty designs coming forth next year about this time! I'd love to have some of that talent to Norma!
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts : 9710

PostSubject: Re: QLR Xmas Design BOM 2013   Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:37 pm

Me Me Me. I love it and definitely want it. Either by mail or if you want to do a quilt a long next year, I'll wait and do it then. I think it is just darling. lovehearts lovehearts lovehearts

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: QLR Xmas Design BOM 2013   Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:20 pm

Wow, thanks for all your kind words and cheer, Im so glad you like it, Id fiddled around earlier in the year and got them drawn up hard copy before I went to the mainland, then just got back to them when I showed mum and took a photo to share here. I had wondered about doing it as a quilt along with everyone here, I doubt Id have time to make it for this xmas, perhaps I could just choose one block and make a wallhanging or pillow cover?

The tree, snowman, pudding and present are 12 1/2" unfinished blocks.

The stars would 12 1/2" x 6 1/2" again, unfinished size.

Bells 8 1/2" unfinished.

The noel block would be completed 8 1/2 by 14 1/2 unfinished, I say completed as in I have the block with the word noel on it then I have a 1" border around that and an outer 1/2" border which is what brings it up to the 8 1/2 x 14 1/2 unfinished overall size.

I had drawn up a rough layout sketch where Id pieced the top middle and bottom rows together horizontally with no sashing. Then I had sketched in a 2" sashing strip between each row and added the same 2" sashing strip around the outside edges. I have notes to vary sashing strips according to whatever fabric I find and the size I want the quilt to be. If done with 2" sashing and outer border rows the finished size would be 34" wide x 40" tall

Im happy to post out copies to everyone, then, those who want to make it at their own speed can and those who would like to do it as a group quilt along next year for next xmas can work on it together here. How does that sound? If we could do it as a quilt along how would we do it? There are 9 blocks but the two bells and two stars could be done in one month if you wanted to do it as a monthly project, that would give us 7mnths of sewing and then assembling and finishing, does that sound right?

What do you think, share your ideas and we can have some fun, its more fun sharing with friends than just having it here by myself hug08

Oh I just had an idea, we could incorporate a swap into this, some cute xmas buttons or embellishments. With xmas coming the fun stuff is for sale now, we could find some cute goodies that would go with the design and send them to our swapper/swappers, what do you think? Then we'd have little charm/button packs from friends to use on our quilts Very Happy

Let me know what you all think
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: QLR Xmas Design BOM 2013   Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:23 pm

Another idea with regards to swapping charms or buttons, we could maybe send them to one person and then have that person divvy them up and swap them out to everyone so we all get buttons from all involved, no different to sending out swap blocks, what do you think of that idea?

Number of posts : 11568

PostSubject: Re: QLR Xmas Design BOM 2013   Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:33 pm

Gimpy, I like that, although I have only done one Xmas type quilt ever.

Last night when I was not sleeping, I did something I often do, I prowled thru the free antique geometric quilt designs site and found one of Nancy Cabot's that I felt like playing with. I envision it with green binding.

PS, the basic diamond shapes are what Nancy drew up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: QLR Xmas Design BOM 2013   Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:10 pm

Not for me sorry. I already work along on yearly things with another quilter. We have both commited to two different one's next year. No time for anything else.
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

PostSubject: Re: QLR Xmas Design BOM 2013   Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:01 am

I have done tree ornaments for swaps. Those are not too time consuming, although I would not object to a mug rug swap either.
Back to top Go down
memaw4

PostSubject: Re: QLR Xmas Design BOM 2013   Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:05 am

Very Happy Count me in Gimpy. I vote for working on it on a monthly basis.

And swapping embelishments would be A~OK with me too.

Great idea!
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts : 9710

PostSubject: Re: QLR Xmas Design BOM 2013   Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:27 am

Now that would be fun to swap buttons/charms. Not sure where I would find charms but buttons I can do for sure. Individual swaps or pooling resources and divvying up? Hmmm, I guess either way would work. The pooling of resources has the advantage of letting everyone have a tidbit from a large number of folks as opposed to just one. If we go for the swap, I would be happy to host it. I haven't hosted in a while and wouldn't mind at all.

The seven month time frame would be good. Still takes a while to finish them off after making the blocks so that should work out well. I think I like the idea of sashing seperating the blocks. Something that everyone can play around with to individualize their project.

Think I will head back to Hobby Lobby soon and gather up some buttons/embellishments before they run out. If we don't do the swap, it's not like I will be upset at having extra buttons. lol!

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
memaw4

PostSubject: Re: QLR Xmas Design BOM 2013   Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:45 pm

We have a Crafts 2000 near me. Jill and I were just talking about that very same subject this morning! I love the Crafts 2000, but also love Hobby Lobby! Guess I can always get on line and order from there or give my order to Jill! And, she can give me her order for Crafts 2000!

lol! After all, what are best friends for?
Back to top Go down
Luvsquilting

Number of posts : 2736
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Re: QLR Xmas Design BOM 2013   Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:34 pm

I'd love to try that one. You all know I love applique. Send me a set.

Thank you, Gimpy.
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

PostSubject: Re: QLR Xmas Design BOM 2013   Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:24 pm

What's that lower right thing?
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: QLR Xmas Design BOM 2013   Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:11 am

A gift box with ribbon/bow on it.

Well Id love to be part of a button swap, if you'd run it TxMary that would be wonderful, we dont have to rush deadline wise do we because we wont be working on it until next year. I saw a couple of mini tree plasticine/dough decorations today, little peppermints and I commented to mum what great little charms they'd made if sewn onto a project. Im heading over to Launceston this weekend and will get into a joannes type store so can look for buttons or something cute to decorate. Thinking outside the box, one year I made a halloween wall hanging quilt for my MIL, I bought pairs of halloween earrings, took the metal hook parts off and sewed them onto my quilt as charms/embellishments, I got cool spiderwebs and bats by doing that and they didnt look like earrings once sewn on Very Happy

For the quilt blocks when would we want to start? January or February perhaps, that would finish us up when, july-august? Then still time to assemble it and finish for xmas, what do you think?

I'll make up a list of who wants the pattern and then get copies made and post them out. Check your name is on the list please, Ive an awful headache tonight and might miss someone by mistake

Admin

PostSubject: Re: QLR Xmas Design BOM 2013   Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:15 am

Pattern List

Linda2B
Memaw
Krafty Lady
Golo
FiberBabble
TxMary
Quiltermarynel
Calico Chris
TexasMusicMom
Redwork
Jill
Hummerlou
Mamu

Shemoos - australia, gimpy to send

Last edited by Gimpy Cat on Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:41 am; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: QLR Xmas Design BOM 2013   Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:28 am

Another good thing to look for Gimpy [ if you can find them ] are those rings with charms on them that you put on the stems of glasses to identify your drink. I bought some lovely enamel ones a few years back from a dollar type store and they make great charms when removed from the ring.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: QLR Xmas Design BOM 2013   Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:59 am

Ahhhhh Henny Penny thats a brilliant idea, I was looking at some pretty ones in a nursery last weekend, I dont have wine glasses to identify but I was longing for a reason to buy them, they were cute reindeers. Great thinking, thank you so much for sharing that idea!!! Thumbup

PostSubject: Re: QLR Xmas Design BOM 2013   Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:11 am

Gimpy, how's the headache this morning? Hope its all gone. Mine is so far. Its really windy here today, but so far the sun is out and no rain yet!

I'm sew anxious to get to town now to start looking for embelishment and fabrics. Fabrics I'll catch when they go on sale. I never even thought of earrings. What a great idea. I used to take buttons and make earrings.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: QLR Xmas Design BOM 2013   Today at 11:03 pm

Back to top Go down

QLR Xmas Design BOM 2013
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 18Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next