The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage

Share | 

Secret Santa 2012 Likes/Dislikes...Helpful hints! Happy Holidays!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
quiltmom9 AQM9

Number of posts : 3479
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Secret Santa 2012 Likes/Dislikes...Helpful hints! Happy Holidays!   Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:02 pm

Please take the time to post likes/dislikes to help out your Secret Santa. Thanks everyone!

Here are mine.... AQM9

Colors: Earth colors...browns, blue, greens, reds
Favorite block: Log Cabin

I live in the Sierras of California, so my home is decorated with cabin/wildlife/bear stuff...

I love Christmas, it's my favorite holiday. I collect snowmen, bears, christmas ornaments, wallhangings, tablerunners.

I love chocolate, herbal teas (no caffeine), love to cook....especially love baking.

Dislikes...not many....although I not thrilled about pastels as far as fabric... not much else that I dislike....

Living in the beautiful Sierra Nevada of Northern California

http://community.webshots.com/user/abertquiltmom9

Last edited by quiltmom9 AQM9 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mamu

Number of posts : 4566
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa 2012 Likes/Dislikes...Helpful hints! Happy Holidays!   Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:17 pm

santaa5 well..... let me see this is for Holiday Likes and Dislikes....so,

Fav colors.... Autumn, green, blue, purple...just about any colors except pastels and pink

House decor.... Western and Wildlife....oh, horses too

I like usable things, not much for nic nac stuff since I have to dust it, geek

I collect Dragonfly fabric and real looking dragonfly art.

Fav holidays... Halloween and Christmas....love red, green, gold for Christmas.

Love place mats, table runners, table toppers, pot holders, and any hand embroidery as I can't do that anymore.

Crazy for Chocolate..dark or milk, not picky with chocolate candy

Well, I hope that helps out who ever gets my name for swaps....
pals

Laura living in NW Montana

<<< "Quilter's share a common thread" >>>
Back to top Go down
texasmusicmom

Number of posts : 6743
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa 2012 Likes/Dislikes...Helpful hints! Happy Holidays!   Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:40 pm

Teehee....love this!

Fav colors....creamy yellow and green. Also like dark red....."brick" colored.
Not much on floral scented items. Do like spice smells....cinnamon and vanilla.

Love anything handmade. Love table runners or toppers. Intrigued by knitted or crocheted stuff....want to learn how...can't do it....a wanna do! Not much on knickknacks....trying to move some I have on...haha. Love pretty bags.

Love any sewing or quilting gadget. Love fabrics of course. Love coordinating fabrics. Love patterns.....like more contemporary quilt patterns....have quite a few traditional ones. Love quilt as you go projects!!

Like kitchen gadgets and related items. Like pretty coffee mugs and kitchen towels. Placemats....2 or 4

Collect and love angels!

Happy Christmas!!!!

Last edited by texasmusicmom on Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
memaw4

Number of posts : 9376

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa 2012 Likes/Dislikes...Helpful hints! Happy Holidays!   Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:07 pm

Favorite fabrics - florals as in Cottage style, Civil War, country fabrics, florals, any fall prints, Christmas - things like that.

Love - Soft colors (pastels), blues, marons, greens, golds, pinks...just about any color but brights and WILD.

Favorite Block - I love stars and log cabin, but love learning new things all the time!

I love to paper piece and applique. I also like to fussy cut.
Hate Reto! Reminds me I'm getting old! & I don't need reminders!

Favorite Fabric Type - cottons and flannels

My home is pure country! It's just me and hubby, sew 2 placemats and 1 bib!

I'm going to be happy with what ever YOU choose for me. So please don't worry, just make this fun for "you." I'm very easy to please.

memaw4

Last edited by memaw4 on Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Luvsquilting

Number of posts : 2736
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa 2012 Likes/Dislikes...Helpful hints! Happy Holidays!   Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:45 pm

Favorite fabrics - Cottons and flannels. Anything Christmas. Not too flowery; smaller flowers, not big florals. LOVE Batiks.

Colors: Earthy colors in bedroom. Kitchen cream/tan cabinets and I'm just getting ready to paint the room a dark green/brown. Opens to Dining area that has a mission style table. Hardwood floors with red/tan/dark green/brown/taupe area rugs.

Favorite Block - I really like star blocks and applique, nothing too cutsey though.

My home is kind of casual/traditional.
Back to top Go down
Jill

Number of posts : 4344
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa 2012 Likes/Dislikes...Helpful hints! Happy Holidays!   Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:47 pm

Favorite fabric colors---navy, burgundy and/or barn red, hunter green, like the colors found in Kansas Troubles and 3 Sisters. Don't care for pastels and orange.

House is decorated country style.

Hobbies--quilting, reading, cooking, gardening and GC

I make primarily patchwork, scrappy quilts.

I'm actually very easy to please. Love anything handmade, gadgets.

Christmas is my favorite holiday, although spring and summer are my favorite times of the year.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa 2012 Likes/Dislikes...Helpful hints! Happy Holidays!   Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:34 pm

Fav Fabrics .... like Autumn colours and fabrics suitable for applique . Stripes . Love all fabric really.
Don't do much piecing ....into applique mostly.
Like buttons , trims etc for embellshing
Collect decorations for the Christmas tree , and love anything for Christmas use .
Don't drink coffeee. Like Chocolate [ not dark ]
Placemats ......2 or 4
I am happy with receiving anything so my main criteria is for my Santa to not stress about anything .

Last edited by Henny Penny on Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Luvsquilting

Number of posts : 2736
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa 2012 Likes/Dislikes...Helpful hints! Happy Holidays!   Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:49 pm

Can everyone mention how many placemats would work for them? Like me. I don't have one single placemat. Would love to have even just 2 to use on our breakfast bar. We eat there a lot, so would be nice to dress up the table setting. My sister in law uses them all the time, so 6 or 8 would be good for her. It would be nice to know because They can be easy and fun to make.
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13223
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa 2012 Likes/Dislikes...Helpful hints! Happy Holidays!   Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:09 pm

Love anything and everything... the brighter the better ... more to the modern side..

Placemats.. 3 one for me, one for DH and one for the food... Cheesy Love all kinds of teas... embroidery floss..... pincushions, signs ... gadgets...

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting

Last edited by golo on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

Number of posts : 4205

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa 2012 Likes/Dislikes...Helpful hints! Happy Holidays!   Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:30 pm

Well, let's see. . . this is hard. . .
Fabric - bright, contemporary, whimsical
Kitchen - dishes are pink, burgundy, and cream. To answer Luvs question, 2 placemats takes care of Tom and me, 4 would fill the places on our small table. 23 would take care of our family plus aunt. lol!
Christmas dishes are the Christmas Tree dishes that are bright red with big green trees. I like the traditional Christmas colors - red and green.
Like Mamu, I like useful things, kind of out of room for knick-knack stuff.
I'm working towards bee decor in my sewing room . . . Yellow and black bees (of course), with red and turquoise.

Don't like scented candles and the like. Big coffee drinker but not tea. Not much on chocolate or fattening treats.

But, like Memaw said, I don't want my Santa to fret and stew. I'll be thrilled to get a surprise in the mail!

Last edited by QBee - Mary Ann on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 19924

PostSubject: Gimpys Mum - Bev   Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:47 am

Bev's (gimpys mum) thoughts (she is sitting beside me looking fritzed at having to think about what she likes and doesnt like LOL)

Colours - most colours, brights, kaffe fasset styles, william morris, amy butler etc

Future home - will be birds egg blue walls with off white trim and soft cocoa brown/chocolate and red accents for fun but anything goes, Im not a theme person, just like happy cheerful things. Oh placemats, I bought a 4 seater dining table so 4!

I collect Angels and Nativity Scenes, applique is one of my favourite things so something appliqued with angels or nativity would be lovely now I think of it (given myself future project ideas!) I love flowers, birds and kitty cats.

Dont like 1930's stuff, like simple applique patterns for quilt projects, fabric art, stationary, scarpbooking and thread painting. Not sure what else to say, its hard being put on the spot!

Secret santa is fun, it doesnt matter what it is, the fun is in the waiting and finding out who has your name
Back to top Go down
Mouse

Number of posts : 1016
Registration date : 2008-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa 2012 Likes/Dislikes...Helpful hints! Happy Holidays!   Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:30 am

Favourite Colour - Blues, Yellows, Pinks
Favourite Block Style - Don't really have one
Favourite Era - Don't really have one
Favourite Fabric Designer - Probably Kaffe Fassett
Favourite Fabric Type - Anything really ... probably bright and bold

Most hated colour - Don't have a hated color .... I have even made a quilt with orange and green although I have to admit, not my favourites.
Definitely Like - cute, cats, dogs, coffee, candy, music and books.
Kitchen - 2 placemats for DS and I in blues, black and white.
Back to top Go down
Anita M.

Number of posts : 6218

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa 2012 Likes/Dislikes...Helpful hints! Happy Holidays!   Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:24 am

Ok, let's see - I like most stuff - gadgets, coasters, placemats (I really could use some of these. Keep thinking about making some) 3 since youngest DS is still home, love coffee and dark chocolate. I collect coffee fabric and pastry sweets fabric for the coffee break quilt I am dreaming of making, I love pie and turtles and snails.

As far as style I love most fabrics but not really a fan of modern. I like dark reds and bluish greens. But I like color! I enjoy collecting novelty fabric too. I have been doing more embroidery or redwork lately. I love applique but don't do it that well so it is a slow process for me. I have dreams of doing a sampler quilt one day of just tree blocks. There are so many out there.

I guess you could say my favorite style is more traditional. I like wool applique. And I just became addicted tyo aurifil thread. It rocks! anitas
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts : 9483

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa 2012 Likes/Dislikes...Helpful hints! Happy Holidays!   Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:31 pm

Not much on pastels. Pretty much anything else. Table holds 4 placemats but 1 small table runner would be way easier for someone. I love snowmen, Texas themed items, western.
Not really picky, it's fun to get a surprise in the mail so not real worried about what it is.

Probably should mention that most scented candles/potpourri make me very ill. So might want to scratch smelly things from list of ideas.

Cassie loves Christmas. So anything Christmas-sy for her. She loves Victorian decor and vintage items like beaded evening bags and the fancy brooches they used to wear. And on the flip side, she is very outdoorsy. Loves animals and archery. Wears a lot of Camo. So if that isn't mind boggling, I don't know what is. All I can say is good luck. lmao

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa 2012 Likes/Dislikes...Helpful hints! Happy Holidays!   Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:58 pm

Ahhh now thats my kinda gal, can flip from one style to another - way to go Cassie!!

Number of posts : 4923
Registration date : 2012-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa 2012 Likes/Dislikes...Helpful hints! Happy Holidays!   Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:52 pm

Likes and dislikes huh? Well, let's give this a try
I do not like pink. At all, ever.
Don't care too much for orange usually unless it's something Autumn-y
Love pastels and jewel colors. I live in denim and flannel. House is decorated in earth tones, blue, green soft yellow.
Love coffee, cinnamon, vanilla, amaretto flavored. Can't have anything with milk, so hot chocolate is out. Like black tea.
I am very outdoorsy and love rabbits. Don't collect anything except bills and dirt, but I do have a couple little rabbit dishes and candle holders. And flowers. I love flowers, except iris.

I will pass on the placemats. Have a stack and a messy husband. Nuff said!

Hope this helps.

Last edited by sewn3w on Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
missmommy

Number of posts : 732

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa 2012 Likes/Dislikes...Helpful hints! Happy Holidays!   Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:39 pm

This is tough. I don't like pink or yellow, purple is just ok. I like traditional as opposed to modern or artsy. I'm big into Civil W*r fabrics, batiks, and orientals. I lean towards earth tones as oopposed to brights and I don't really like novelty prints (but I do like cat fabric). I love dark chocolate (don't know what that has to do with fabric but thought I'd stick it in. I rarely use 2 1/2 " strips. I really like paper piecing.
Does this help?
Waiting for my "person" to post her likes/dislikes, needs or wants.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Laura's likes and dislikes   Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:38 pm

Laura's likes and dislikes:-

Likes anything to do with cats especially big cats, loves animals and horses.

Favourite colours are yellow, orange, red, green and blue

Doesnt like purple, kind of likes black. Doesnt like dolls, Barbie or disney stuff like the princess things

Dont like brown chocolate but likes white chocolate and peppermint candies and turkish delight (just like Edmund in the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe)

Likes stationary and cardinals

Collects fossils, rocks, crystals, bones and sea shells

santaa5

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa 2012 Likes/Dislikes...Helpful hints! Happy Holidays!   Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:41 pm

missmommy it doesn't have to be just about fabric likes and dislikes. I would like to see people post things other than fabric likes so there is more of an idea about what your person's tastess are in all things . If mine doesn't post more than that I will be a worrying !! I mean I would hate to send something that she doesn't personally do ...ie piecing as against applique . does she do embroidery, does she drink tea or coffee , does she like chocolate, candy, a ssomeone else has said ...does she like placemats [ how many ] , table runners etc etc .
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa 2012 Likes/Dislikes...Helpful hints! Happy Holidays!   Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:47 pm

Gimpy Cats likes and dislikes

I dunno, love scented wax tarts in scents like apple, cinnamon and berry. Love celestial seasonings Cinnamon Apple Spice tea which I cant buy here. Love maple candy or that chocolate xmas bark stuff LOL

Not a pastel or real soft floral person, love fall colours, earthy tones and cheery colours like reds and greens. Love xmas, easter, fall and winter.

The placemat question, there are 4 of us but we dont really have any as I havent made any yet, been saying that I would for years now LOL.

Love applique and pieced, traditional patterns and well, Im not that fussy, just not a flowery pastel and pinks gal.

Love cushion covers and runners, stationary and bookmarks, stuff to do with gardening, calendars etc

Hope that helps someone.

Back to top Go down
missmommy

Number of posts : 732

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa 2012 Likes/Dislikes...Helpful hints! Happy Holidays!   Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:38 am

So I guess I need to add...I do needle turn appliqué, don't do much crochet or knitting anymore. Xstitch alas also fallen by the wayside. We use placemats, usually just the two of us, but DD and her hubby are here frequently. All of my hobbies revolve around quilting, it seems. I have an emb machine but only used it twice, lol. I drink coffee but not tea or hot chocolate. Anything else I should mention?
Back to top Go down
jennQT

Number of posts : 217

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa 2012 Likes/Dislikes...Helpful hints! Happy Holidays!   Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:36 am

I guess I should post my likes/dislikes.

Fabrics......I like all fabrics except civil war and really dull fabric colours. My favourite colours are red, yellow, grean. Least liked colours are orange and pale pink.

Love tea, don't drink coffee.

Like chocolate except for white chocolate (find it really sweet).

I also love knitting, reading and cooking.

Hmmm.....I think that's it.
Back to top Go down
redwork

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2009-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa 2012 Likes/Dislikes...Helpful hints! Happy Holidays!   Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Happy Holidays/Likes and dislikes
Like sugar free milk chocolate no dark
Love Christmas runner and/or 4 place mats
Do machine applique
Cannot do hand embroidery
like paper piece
will like anything sent to me
Redwork
Back to top Go down
slumbersoft

Number of posts : 2113
Registration date : 2011-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa 2012 Likes/Dislikes...Helpful hints! Happy Holidays!   Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:41 pm

Gee, I like anything Christmas, it's my favorite holiday.

I love blue, especially country blue, my kitchen is done in blue. I also like greens a lot, and burgandy reds. I really like almost anything, not very picky. My house is mostly country, but some Victorian is starting to creep in as I love Victorian things, style, florals, laces, crazy quilts, etc. But as far as quilts, I love things like dresden plates, sunbonnet sue, so I guess that's country. I love to do applique and paper piecing. I love cottages and house patterns. Someday I will make a quilt of all different houses, or I hope so.

I love cats and birds, eagles, hummingbirds, and swans especially. I also love angels and Santas. I can't think of anything else right now. Oh, I don't drink coffee or tea, but I like teapots and cups, so cute. Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Marian

Number of posts : 4990

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa 2012 Likes/Dislikes...Helpful hints! Happy Holidays!   Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:56 am

Fabric of any kind
I collect Santa Claus's
I am really not particular. I am happy with anything! Just the excitement of the swap is nice too!

Marian in Ohio
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Secret Santa 2012 Likes/Dislikes...Helpful hints! Happy Holidays!   Today at 4:12 pm

Back to top Go down

Secret Santa 2012 Likes/Dislikes...Helpful hints! Happy Holidays!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1