The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Bailey Quilting Machine

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
quiltermarynel

Number of posts: 7981
Registration date: 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Bailey Quilting Machine   Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:28 am

I would love to own a LA, but can't afford it or the space for it. My guild bought a used, reconditioned LA from Nolting. It was WAY cheaper than a new machine. space is definitely an issue too.
Back to top Go down
Mamu

Number of posts: 3993
Registration date: 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Bailey Quilting Machine   Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:50 pm

A real big issue to consider is the space needed for a LA. The SA machines don't take up as much space as the larger models. I would recommend finding a shop that rents LA machine time and use the machine on a couple of projects. You will find out real fast if you like it or not and if your back will hold up. There are chairs made just for the LA stands where you can sit and sew...I think I would like that. You also will find out just what questions to ask dealers and what bells and whistles you would like on your machine. Some machines are good at detail stitching and others are better at an all over, panogram. I have done alot of research on these machines, LA and SA. My biggest issues are the frames/stands. I want one that is strong and will accommodate a king or larger quilt.
Going to the show will help you see and try out some of the machines on the market. But be prepared for sales people to 'flood' your brain with info on why their machine is the best!
These shows usually have 'show specials', but don't buy at the show unless you really want that machine....lock in the price with the salesperson for a limited time and then go home to make comparisons. Take notes and pictures, so you can compare things when you get home. Measure the area you want to place your LA....your sewing area might be smaller than you think!
I hope that this helps you in your decision

Laura living in NW Montana

<<< "Quilter's share a common thread" >>>
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bailey Quilting Machine   Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:49 pm

Thanks Mamu. I think if we go..I'll have a note pad with me so I can remember which questions to ask..and what the answers are. I guess it does make sense to be sure the frame is good and sturdy and not just focus on the machine? Trying the machines will tell me a lot..you're right about that too! I know my area is big enough. It's the finished basement and right now I have a banquet table with a card table next to it for basting quilts and there's plenty of space.
Back to top Go down
hummerlou

Number of posts: 3501
Registration date: 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Bailey Quilting Machine   Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:12 pm

When you all figure this out, let me know. Next year, after we get settled in our new home, I want to start looking into quilting machines. I'm not sure what I want yet. :hammer:
Back to top Go down
teritami

Number of posts: 2
Registration date: 2009-08-30

PostSubject: Bailey machine   Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:45 am

I have had a bailey machine for about a year now. it is a great machine and it was reasonably priced for the homw quilter. I have it on the pinnacle fraME and can finish a quilt with simple meandering in 2-3 hrs. great tension and so simple to operate.
Back to top Go down
memaw4

Number of posts: 5782

PostSubject: Re: Bailey Quilting Machine   Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:19 am

I would love to have a LA. I may, if I ever get the money or nerve, start looking at them again on line. I've heard of the Baliey. I've seen the Tin Lizzy and the HQ16 machines. Both are really nice machines.

Teritami, is the Bailey easy to learn how to use? I don't care for fancy quilting like you see on some quilts. I just want to do my own designing or simple meandering.

memaw4
Back to top Go down
teritami

Number of posts: 2
Registration date: 2009-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Bailey Quilting Machine   Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:06 pm

memaw4 wrote:
I would love to have a LA. I may, if I ever get the money or nerve, start looking at them again on line. I've heard of the Baliey. I've seen the Tin Lizzy and the HQ16 machines. Both are really nice machines.

Teritami, is the Bailey easy to learn how to use? I don't care for fancy quilting like you see on some quilts. I just want to do my own designing or simple meandering.

memaw4
The machine comes assembled and I had mine up and was using it within 1/2 hour. I had tried both the Janome 1600 and the Juki with the 9 inch arm and was very frustrated with breaking needles and thread(altho the Janome was by far the best of those two.) I do mostly meandering and this machine requires minimal maintenance, and I do start each quilt with a new needle, the book gives you great advice for the tension fixes and and each time I replace the bobbin with a new one I use one of the air in a can things to blow out the dust underneath the machine. very seldom do I break a thread or a needle. it has a built in speed control(not a stitch regulator) and I don't very often use the highest speed. I just love this machine. Easiest one I have ever had. To start all you do is push the button and go. My ten year old great niece just finished her first quilt with this machine. She spent about 2 hours practicing on muslin and then went ot town on it. While it wasn't perfect, (she had some speed issues) it was a very nice looking first effort from a ten year old.
Back to top Go down
memaw4

PostSubject: Re: Bailey Quilting Machine   Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:21 pm

I think I'll go online and look at them. I see them in magazines all the time and wish I could get one. Maybe someday. But for now I can still look!

memaw4
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

Number of posts: 7981

PostSubject: Re: Bailey Quilting Machine   Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:56 am

Another direction you might consider is used/reconditioned LA machines. I know Nolting has them available at way below the price of new. (but still higher than my budget, even if I had the space, which I don't.)
Back to top Go down
memaw4

PostSubject: Re: Bailey Quilting Machine   Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:15 am

I reallly don't have the space either. Not until or less we move into a bigger place. We live in a mobile home and we have NO extra space! And it's a 16 x 80! I wish it was 32 x 80 with a basement!

But it's always nice to dream! And that doesn't cost anything.......

memaw4
Back to top Go down
lowjane

Number of posts: 203
Registration date: 2012-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Bailey Quilting Machine   Sun May 05, 2013 8:58 pm

Does anyone have a PC quilter with their Bailey? I purchased the Bailey and love it I did not purchase the stitch regulator as I am pretty steady and consistent. I am interested to see if anyone has tried any of the computerized software and it is my understanding that the PC quilter is the only one that suits the machine
Back to top Go down
Mamu

Number of posts: 3993
Registration date: 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Bailey Quilting Machine   Mon May 06, 2013 1:04 am

Sorry, I really don't have any experience with the smaller quilting machines. However, I am wondering if you don't need to have SR in order to add a computer? There are some out that would work for the smaller machine. Maybe google computerized quilting systems?

Laura living in NW Montana

<<< "Quilter's share a common thread" >>>
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts: 6853

PostSubject: Re: Bailey Quilting Machine   Mon May 06, 2013 1:16 am

No, I don't have computerized quilting either.

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
lowjane

Number of posts: 203
Registration date: 2012-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Bailey Quilting Machine   Mon May 06, 2013 1:30 am

Mamu wrote:
Sorry, I really don't have any experience with the smaller quilting machines. However, I am wondering if you don't need to have SR in order to add a computer? There are some out that would work for the smaller machine. Maybe google computerized quilting systems?

You bring up a good point the Bailey 17E that I have ( 17" harp) has a specific stitch regulator that is manufactured by the company. That is one consideration that I did not think of, More homework

Jane
Back to top Go down
Linda 2B

Number of posts: 1899

PostSubject: Re: Bailey Quilting Machine   Mon May 06, 2013 11:36 pm

lowjane I have a computerized machine but it's a Gammill with the Statler Stitcher. I haven't seen the PC Quilter software but I love mine!
Back to top Go down

Bailey Quilting Machine

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next