The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Xmas recipes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 21891
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Xmas recipes   Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:51 pm

What are you baking, roasting, steaming, rolling and making this year? What cookie recipes will you make, do you have favourites you bake each year? What about xmas day - what is your favourite dish to make, do you have any recipes to share?

My lot equate xmas with sour cream sugar cookies so I will bake some of them and we can decorate them. i want to make some ginger cookies this year too. Every xmas they want a chocolate cake with peppermint buttercream frosting and crushed peppermint candy canes on top, thats fine but Im bored making the same thing. So I was clever I thought this year and I baked it and gave it to them when we decorated the tree, they thought that was an awesome way to start the season and now Im going to bake a gingerbread cake for xmas like I always wanted to Thumbup

here is a picture of their choc peppermint cake, it sure got gobbled up pretty fast, I made two actually, my german chocolate cake recipe takes 8 eggs and then makes either two regular sized or three smaller cakes. The 2nd one I gave to bobs students for their xmas picnic

I have some recipes for fudge I was thinking of making, one for gingerbread fudge and one for maple fudge, hmmmm maybe I should look for some more maple candy recipes, does anyone have any?

Number of posts : 12653
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Xmas recipes   Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:34 am

My recipes are out now that we are both diabetic. I used to make a Christmas tree cake that was cinnamon spiral rolls smashed together in a tree shape with a topping of lemon juice and powdered sugar. I also used a Chinese version of a drop sugar cookie, with almond flavoring, but I substituted raspberry jam in the indent where an almond was supposed to go. Strawberry jam does not work well for this. Of course, my original oatmeal-raison cookies are always a hit. I have posted that one before.
Back to top Go down
jennQT

Number of posts : 278

PostSubject: Re: Xmas recipes   Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:15 pm

It varies year to year. So far I've only made sugar cookies. But I plan to also make Skor shortbread and butter tarts for sure.
Back to top Go down
sewn3w

Number of posts : 5841
Registration date : 2012-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Xmas recipes   Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:53 am

how about this? My family is too small to make many cookies, but they don't like what I like. So I make one batch just for myself.

Molasses Spice Cookies
¾ cup butter flavored shortening
1 cup brown sugar packed
1 egg
¼ cup molasses
2 ¼ cups flour, measure by dipping method
2 teaspoons soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
granulated sugar, or large flaked sugar topping

Mix shortening sugar egg and molasses thoroughly. Measure flour by dipping method. Blend all dry ingredients except the granulated / large flake sugar. Stir in. Chill

Heat oven to 375*. Roll dough in 1 ¼ “ balls. Dip tops in sugar. Place balls, sugar side up 3” apart on greased baking sheet. Sprinkle each with 2 or 3 drops of water. Bake 10-12 minutes or just until set but not hard. Makes 4 dozen cookies.
Back to top Go down
Anita M.

Number of posts : 6829

PostSubject: Re: Xmas recipes   Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:25 am

That looks like my recipe for gingersnaps! You can use oil instead of the crisco though. And never heard of the water drops.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Xmas recipes   Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:41 pm

Sounds lovely, I like spice cookies but you cant buy butter flavoured shortening here, there is no crisco either

PostSubject: Re: Xmas recipes   Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:51 pm

Use veg or canola oil. It works!
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Xmas recipes   Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:19 pm

I only use olive oil but it works when I use it in baking, good thinking

PostSubject: Re: Xmas recipes   Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:23 pm

Ok, well you could sub any kind of butter or margarine.
Back to top Go down
sewn3w

PostSubject: Re: Xmas recipes   Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:39 pm

Gimpy Cat wrote:
Sounds lovely, I like spice cookies but you cant buy butter flavoured shortening here, there is no crisco either
Gimpy  the  original  recipe  calls for part lard and part butter. I should  think all butter would  work. Or part butter and part any shortening
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts : 10676

PostSubject: Re: Xmas recipes   Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:58 pm

Those sound yummy. We haven't started yet. Maybe this weekend. I'll see which ones we go with this year.
Back to top Go down
Gwennie M

Number of posts : 2346
Registration date : 2008-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Xmas recipes   Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:06 am

Helen, I love the look of the cake and the ginger cookies look similar to one I make. I usually use real butter in cookies or butter crisco if it calls for shortening.
One of my holiday favorites is buckeyes which are peanut butter balls dipped almost all in chocolate. It's a regional name/recipe because our state tree is the buckeye and our Ohio State football team is the buckeyes (which is a real favorite around here for DH).
Back to top Go down
Gwennie M

PostSubject: Re: Xmas recipes   Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:10 am

Here is a picture of the buckeye tree and the candy.
Back to top Go down
Gwennie M

PostSubject: Re: Xmas recipes   Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:14 am

I always make kolache, sugar cookies, pistachio thumbprints, peanut butter chocolate chip, butterscotch oatmeal cookies. Also a cherry coconut chocolate chip. I make a lot of cookies Shocked
Hmmm... Shocked
pressie santaa5
Back to top Go down
Anita M.

PostSubject: Re: Xmas recipes   Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:49 pm

Gonna try a new recipe, mint double chocolate chip. Supposed to be like a grown up version of GS thin mints. Will let you know.
Back to top Go down
Anita M.

PostSubject: Re: Xmas recipes   Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:35 pm

Wow, I think I got high on the aroma! Cookies have special dark cocoa, a Tbsp. Of mint extract (I used peppermint), and 2 cups of chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli bittersweet ones). All I can say is wow! Will let you know what DH thinks.
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

PostSubject: Re: Xmas recipes   Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:43 pm

Mmmmmmm used to love those thin mints. Bet they are good.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Xmas recipes   Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:23 pm

mmmmm I found a recipe for thin mints recently, I  can just imagine the lovely aroma hot in your nose, mmmm peppermint!

Gwennie you make a lot of cookies but you share them and have a built in cookie demolishing squad so I reckon they dont last long. I like to try different ones so I give them away, that way I can bake them and us eat them all

I found a recipe ive had for years and been wanting to try for a roast potato, shrimp and pesto salad - this year Im making it, will do it for Boxing day, should go well with left over ham and roast chicken. I think this afternoon Im going to peel and par-boil potatoes and carrots for xmas day, once cooled I will freeze them then straight from the freezer to the baking pan and into the over on xmas day

Number of posts : 2912

PostSubject: Re: Xmas recipes   Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:03 pm

Here is Grandma's famous butter cookie recipe. Anita mom sent me some new version the other day, but this one is better.  I found it funny she felt she needed to tell me to make these last Christmas! I learned how to make them the year Grandma had a neck brace. I wanted my butter cookies and I didn't think it would go over well with my aunts and uncles to ask her to make them. I volunteered to come over and help her make them instead! it is not Christmas without these cookies!

Sift together
* 2 1/2 cups flour
* 1/2 teaspoon salt

Cream
* 1 cup butter. GRADUALLY add
* 1 1/4 cups sifted confectioner's sugar.

Mix in
* 1 egg
* 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.

GRADUALLY add in dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly.

Press a small amount of dough into a cookie press. Press cookies onto ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake at 400 degrees for 6-8 minutes.

I get about 8 dozen cookies out of this usually. I have an OXO cookie press and it works great. I would have bought one for Grandma too if she were still around afterr I found this one! I sprinkle colored sugar over the cookies too. I will say that it does NOT work to reuse cookie sheets for this recipe--you need a fresh one each time.
Back to top Go down
Gwennie M

PostSubject: Re: Xmas recipes   Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:49 am

Helen, carrots and potatoes are so good, I like the idea of not having to do it all on Christmas day but I usually am not on the ball and don't do any prep beforehand.... but DH is helping a lot this year so that is ok.
Bratt, those cookies sound yummy and I might give them a try. And now you have another wonderful memory with your grandma and you learned how to make the cookies too. I love that.
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

PostSubject: Re: Xmas recipes   Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:01 am

Gwennie thanks for the pics. Y'all talk about buckeyes all the time, it was fun to see them and easy to tell how they got their name!

Bratt I like your grandma's recipe. Sound similar to Spritz cookies. Spritz are my favorite (or were, I can't eat them any more). I like recipes with simple ingredients. The fewer the better sometimes, really lets you enjoy the flavor with out trying to figure out what all is in them.
Back to top Go down
Linda 2B

Number of posts : 3818

PostSubject: Re: Xmas recipes   Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:56 am

Bratt thanks for the recipe I will try them and take them to DS's for Christmas.
Back to top Go down
sewn3w

PostSubject: Re: Xmas recipes   Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:51 pm

TxMary I like the  simpler cookies too. Bratt s sound like  my spritz.  I love them with  a  cuppa  in the  afternoon.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Xmas recipes   Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:29 pm

Thanks for sharing Bratt, anyone making them will think of them as Bratt & Grandma's Cookies Very Happy

Gwennie I love the buckeye pic and explanation, always heard of them so its fun to see them.

Does anyone make Gingerbread Cake?

PostSubject: Re: Xmas recipes   Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:03 pm

Gimpy  I made a pan of gingerbread  cake today, sliced, wrapped  individual  pieces and froze so I can indulge  occasionally. I'm the  only  one   in my family  that will eat it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Xmas recipes   

Back to top Go down

Xmas recipes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next