The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage

Share | 

Crocheted Hats

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
QBee - Mary Ann

Number of posts : 4205
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Crocheted Hats   Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:07 pm

I'm hoping to have at least 100 hats ready to send in the fall for teens on Pine Ridge Reservation. ( not sure but I think I'm at about 25 now)

These are kind of fun and different. "Graph Beanies", pattern by Liz McQueen, Playin' Hooky Designs. (BTW, if anyone has tips for preventing a tangled web whileworking with a few colors of yarn, please share.)

Anyhow. . .here are two Ninja Turtles. Seven year old DGS Sam instructed me on using different shades of green and making sure the masks are the right color. Two more turtles to do, red mask and orange mask

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:14 am

You are so good and thoughtful QB , and what you donate never has a look of " it is only for charity " about it. Always so well made and special looking clap clap clap
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

Number of posts : 11391

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:51 am

I love them. When I was knitting I had the same tangle problem. I would have wound the white and black on bobbins to reduce the tangles a bit.

I bet these are a real hit.
Back to top Go down
sewn3w

Number of posts : 4923
Registration date : 2012-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:02 am

QBee you have a wonderful heart. Great job. I recently saw a suggestion for keeping ribbons and yarns untangled. Yarn was wound and then placed in an appropriate sized plastic basket that has holes just big enough for that particular item. Feed the yarn thru one of the holes and it unwinds itself as you work. I hope this makes sense.
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13223
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:38 am

Cute hats... they will love them.... lovehearts

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:03 am

Thanks for the nice comments.

HP, I have to confess I'm more than a little touchy about the "good enough for charity" some people have. Sometimes it's a challenge to keep my lips zipped. . . Or avoid a rant here which I was on my way to doing. LOL Anyhow, what I can do and give is only a tiny drop in the gigantic bucket of need, but whatever I do is going to be nice enough to at least perhaps bring a little smile. Jumping back off my soapbox now. . . : )

Sewn, that's a great idea! I'm going to give it a try. Someone told me about ceramic yarn bowls, which are made with slots for the yarn, so I looked at those. Lovely, but expensive and breakable. Buying 10 or 12 skeins of yarn or a yarn bowl? Gotta go with the yarn. Now I can hardly wait to start another hat and try a plastic basket from my closet!
Back to top Go down
sewn3w

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:09 am

QBee after working some clothing drives I hear you and could add to the unspoken rant.
'Nuff said! zipmouth
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

Number of posts : 2252
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:54 am

I actually DID write the rant out on my blog a few years ago.
riding horse (Click here if you want to read it, though I'm sure we all know the words to THAT song)

I love the hats, QBee! I knew immediately that they were Ninja Turtle hats. I confess my next thought was - will she share the pattern with me??

Are these from the Graph Beanie pattern? I need to check that out!!

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog

Last edited by FiberBabble on Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed link)
Back to top Go down
sewn3w

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:28 am

Fiber, thanks for sharing your rant and the link. It was well written and informative. While I have done the "give up" thing I have not done the "give to" in place and think it is a much better choice. Your sharing this article is a perfect example to me of opportunity. We share what we do, how we do it, so others can learn or improve on our charitable acts. Not out of ego but out of caring for others. I do believe today you have made me a better person because I can apply your inspiration in my life.
Again, THANKS!
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts : 9483

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:54 am

When I sew or crochet I never differentiate between mine, gift or donation. I only know one way, the best I can do. Sometimes that doesn't mean perfect, but it is always the best I can do.

Love TMNT. Those hats are cool. Cowabunga dude!!!

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
sewn3w

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:31 pm

There is an article on the web today about a lady that sews capes for little ones facing huge
obstacles in life. Very heartwarming to know someone has used her sewing skills to brighten others lives.

http://todayhealth.today.com/_news/2013/04/17/17780774-tiny-superheroes-fight-big-illnesses-in-little-capes?lite

Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:53 pm

Ok Qbee, I need some new inspiration so went looking for your patterns. I am kinda confused. Am I correct in that the basic beanie is one pattern and then you buy different graphs from different people to use with that beanie pattern? Where did you start with this? scratch

BTW, I forgot earlier. When I work with multiple colors at one time I place a TV tray table in front of me and lay my skeins on there, side by side. When I finish a row and turn, the yarns all cross over each other. I leave them that way for that row and when I turn again, I turn the opposite way to un-cross the yarn. That way they never cross over more than one time. Cross-uncross. You can do this without having them on a table, but I like it out where I can see what I am doing.
If I have wound my skein into a ball, I set the ball in a glass/ceramic cereal bowl (plastic is too light) to keep it on the table and do the same thing. Hope that makes sense.

http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:39 pm

Sewn3 - just last evening one of my facebook friends (high school friend from days long past) posted a picture. She's friends of a family who have a sweet, adorable little Downs syndrome girl, and she'd posted a picture of the little girl wearing a cape like that. First time I'd seen those. The little girl is Ireland who's in the picture in the article with Isaac!

You rant real good, dear friend Tracy!!

I always struggle with whether I should "show off" my donation projects here, but then again it's perhaps another pebble in the pond thing. Like when Mary Ann from Texas showed crocheted hats she'd made to donate, Mary Ann from Minnesota thought, "Hey! I could do that!" While I'd been passing time in front of the TV or riding in the car (while Tom drove) playing Angry Birds games, I'm now crocheting.

TxMaryAnn - you bowl me over another time. Sometime in the distant past, you told me about rolling your binding and having it in a bowl as you sew your binding to the quilt. I've done that ever since, and think of you every time I reach for my "binding bowl". I've had my yarn on a wooden tray on my lap, but I still get twisted up. I am now going to pay attention to which way I turn my work. I'm trying to not think about what a smarty you are, while how slowly, if ever, some things come to me. lol!

Yes, the pattern is the Graph Beanie. The pattern with one graph of your choice is $5.00. Then you can get additional graphs for $1.50 each. The hat is worked in a flat rectangle, then seamed at the back and gathered together at the top, so you're working the graph sideways as you go. Knowing you, you'd figure out how to do this without the main pattern. I prefer to take the easy way. : )

It's funny to remind myself to count while crocheting with the graph. Reminds me of when my kids took music lessons, and I'd say "Count. You have to count." I'd also ask, "Just wondering. Did you even look at the key signature?" Though that doesn't apply to crocheting, it adds to the story. Then I'd sit down at the piano to play duets with one or the other of the kids, and they relished the opportunity to say, "Count, Mom." or ask if I'd looked at the key signature. Now it's just me with my crochet hook, occasionally saying to myself, "Count. You have to count."

Sheesh. . . I just can't quit yakking. I've been winding some of my falling apart pull skeins that don't pull so well into balls to make it easier to work with. Just this morning I thought that many years ago I'd bought a ball winder, so I went on a major search, and I found it! I do have a ball winder! Now I can make perfect balls to put in my bowls! dance

Well, how many of you are doing this by now. . . sleepy

Last edited by QBee - Mary Ann on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:41 pm

Sewn , what a lovely article.... FB, I have always agreed with your view don't give up .. give to...sure makes more sense to me... I always try to do my best on what I do... its always a hard decision to keep or give...

Golo

Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 19924

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:16 pm

Oh I love the Beanies, they will be treasured when they are recieved QBee, I will have to read FB's rant later as I have to run now, the roofer is knocking at the door

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:44 pm

Wow QBee it really is a small world isn't it? How sweet of that lady to make those capes. But how sweet of you all for making the hats, the blankets and all the goodies I can't think of right now. When horrible things happen, it's people who live out their generosity that makes things better.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:58 pm

Oh I know what you mean about having a " thing" about the good enough for. charity. I feel exactly the same way. I have lost count of the number of people who I have heard say things like " oh this will do, it's for charity......as long as I donate , that's what counts ....... I do it fast....etc etc. I used to knit little outfits for still born babies to be buried in and always used the best quality of pure wool for it . They were special to me and I know they were to the parents , some of whom had very little. The same with the Quilts of Love I made for the hospitals to wrap deceased babies in ....as good as if they were going to my own grandchildren. The only things I didn't use top quality on was when I was knitting the little jumpers for the Aids babies in Africa. It was requested they be made in easy care synthetic yarns as they didn't have the facilities in the places they went to to be washed carefully. Truthfully they said they would probably never get washed but be worn until they fell off ! LOL Oh ! and before I get jumped on Shocked Not saying that everything that is made has to be expensive . You use a product to suit the situation and it makes ME feel good to give a product that I know has been made well and not with the thought of how cheaply it can be done or made with stuff that wasn't good enough for me. I will never forget just how i felt after the devastating fires that left us homeless and with nothing. Quilts were made and donated to " comfort " people in the town. The one I got I would have made for my dog [ doubtful at that ] It was made from fabrics that I KNOW had been cut from faded old sheets & pillowcases , clothes [ fabrics completely unsuitable for a quilt ] just a mish mash of whatever. Even the backing fabric was a shocker . Should i have been grateful that I got anything ? as a quilter I just felt that it had been a case of exactly that Had that of been something that appeared to have been made with love and care I would have treasured it for life, as it is ?????. I am glad to say that in the next huge fire disaster that hit this country the quilts that were donated were beautiful . I will stop my rant now Thud
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

Number of posts : 11391

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:51 am

HP, I certainly agree with you. I guild sister summed it up. "A charity quilt is a gift to God. You don't give God trash." The quilts I make for foster kids are intended to be lively, durable, colorful, cuddly and to let them know someone cares. I make them (usually) with relatively simple patterns, but good fabric. I have certainly seen comfort quilts that I would not give to anyone, and others that showed love.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:55 am

A great sentiment marynel.
Back to top Go down
sewn3w

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:19 am

Marynel, very well put.
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:44 am

I deleted this. Didn't come out the way I intended.

Last edited by TxMaryQuilts on Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:30 am

Great words, Preacher, errr I mean, Mary Ann. Okay. You know me, trying to be funny. Those really are great thoughts you shared.

I have to admit I have trouble with a person I know who's made those pillow case dresses for girls in Africa and Haiti. I think the idea started with sending special dresses to girls who might never have more than one special dress. The woman who bugs me is always bragging about how many dresses she's made . . . out of old worn pillowcases the nursing home is throwing away. Ugghhh. How special is that??? And it's because she's cheap without need to be, along with an attitude that "[/u]those people[u] should be thankful for anything they get". The best I can do is smile and keep my mouth zipped. . .while seething inside and venting to you, I guess.

A few years back I made a small Thanksgiving wallhanging, "Have a Gratitude Attitude." I'm pretty sure Golo had shown us hers, and I went right out and got the book with the pattern sonI could make it. I'd like to make more with the same words but for different seasons. Thinking about the Pine Ridge people helps me remember that though I carp and gripe about the winter cold, I've never really been cold. I've never been without warm coats, mittens, hats, and boots.

Wow! We could have quite a trail ride with many of us on our high horses at the same time. lol!

Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

Number of posts : 2252
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:53 am

QBee - Mary Ann wrote:

Wow! We could have quite a trail ride with many of us on our high horses at the same time. lol!

lmao lmao lmao

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
sewn3w

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:43 am

This whole discussion has me rethinking my work. I am not very confident in my work at this time and wonder if I should back off the prayer quilts for a while. I think a lot of good points have been brought up. Will be pondering it a bit.

discussion and airing opinions is a good thing. Keeps us thinking and refining our logic.
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:06 am

OH SEWN3w, your work is just fine... I thought your prayer shawls were lovely...

Golo

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Today at 5:56 pm

Back to top Go down

Crocheted Hats
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next