The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Crocheted Hats

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
FiberBabble

Number of posts : 2275
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:02 pm

The issue I have with "good enough for charity" is not the actual quality of the work. It's the attitude. If you are doing the best you can do, that's giving of yourself and (in my opinion) the best thing anyone can receive.

But if you intentionally take shortcuts or, well, just have that attitude, that's when I start a-ridin'

riding horse

sewn3w, don't stop doing what you're doing. If what you're making comes from your heart and you truly hope to make someone's life a little bit better, there's no lovelier gift you can give.

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts : 9694
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:27 pm

Thank you Tracy. That is what I was trying to say and I am not sure I was successful. It is the attitude not the item. Items made with love always shine.

Definitely don't stop Sewn. Your heart is definitely in the right place and it shows in your work, which BTW, is way better than you give yourself credit for. Trust us, you do good. hug08

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

Number of posts : 4205

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:39 pm

Sewn, exactly. Re-read what the other Mary Ann said and think of me saying the same thing.

Lots of us are so hard on ourselves. I know that I absolutely do not have the same skill or talent that some others here have. But I do my best and I know there's nothing wrong with what I accomplish. I remind myself. . .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:39 pm

Well I am sorry TXM I just don't agree with you. If all you have is rubbish DON"t use it all . Do something that you can do in a more worthwhile way. I am not going to be Mother Theresa and agree with something I don't believe in in case it makes me look bad. I will stand by what I said before . The quilt I recieved was cheap, nasty and ugly as every one who saw it commented on. If all else can see it , so can the maker. Some people just don't care , they are in such a rush to big note themselves by the amount they make that that is their main criteria. You are entitled to your opinion as I am to mine
Back to top Go down
sewn3w

Number of posts : 5017
Registration date : 2012-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:01 pm

discussion and airing opinions is a good thing. Keeps us thinking and refining our logic.
Thanks Ladies. That was not a plea for people to pat me on the back. I do value your opinions. I still think I might need to take a step back and just re evaluate what I am doing and apply a little logic here. I need to be honest about what I am doing. If the outcome is working harder before I go forward with more PQ's that's a good thing. But I will also apply myself in another area if that happens. Won't be giving up charity work maybe just redirecting? It's a part of who I am. And by the way I use the term charity work but how I really feel is PIF!!
Back to top Go down
quiltmom9 AQM9

Number of posts : 3497

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Cute Beanies!

Living in the beautiful Sierra Nevada of Northern California

http://community.webshots.com/user/abertquiltmom9
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

Number of posts : 11557

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:34 pm

Back to top Go down
texasmusicmom

Number of posts : 6791
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:53 pm

Interesting comments ladies.....been under the weather with a bladder/kidney infection and just back on.

Qm.....well said.

I worked for years in our church's clothing pantry. It just shocked my friend and me what people would donate.....dirty, torn, single socks, etc. I carted countless things home to wash and/or repair. It's kind of the same thing. I agree with Fibber....its the attitude that counts.

QBee....love the beanies!!!!
Back to top Go down
sewn3w

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:55 pm

QBee how long does it take you to make one of these hats? How many do you get out of a skein? Are there colors or kinds that are more or less acceptable?
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:20 pm

Sewn - I've been using Lion Brand Vanna's Choice yarn, which is about $3.00 - $4.00 per skein, and each of these hats took probably 2/3 of a skein. I just really like the way this yarn looks and feels compared to some of the other washable acrylic yarns. I don't think $3.00 is too bad for a hat, and I'll use up the leftovers of the skeins in striped hats.

I don't have a very good idea of how long it takes - maybe around eight hours? This kind is a little puttzier because of the color changes. I've also done quite a few animal hats with earflaps, and those are puttzy because of crocheting and then sewing on the ears, eyes, noses, etc.

I'm also concentrating on bigger, teen/young adult sizes, because I think more people donate for babies and younger children. Of course, bigger sizes take more yarn and more time.

I don't think there's much that wouldn't be acceptable. I kind of use my daughters' and grandkids' input for what might be appealing. As my donations are going to Pine Ridge where the people are Lakota, I avoid any owl fabric or designs because owls are the symbol of death in the Lakota tradition. I'm so glad I found the Friends of Pine Ridge forum where I learned about not using owls.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:29 am

So cute. I wish I had learned to knit and crochet. I just never got the hang of it.
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:56 pm

TMM, I agree about what people donate. for many years, my mom was in charge of the ongoing church rummage sale, which paid for our food pantry almost entirely. Also, what people throw out amazes me. Dad and I went through what an estate executor put in 2 dumpsters and got several thousand dollars worth of antiques, mainly lace and embroidered fine linen, which Mom sold to benefit our church. The executor was supposed to be handing such things for the church.
DH did a lot of dumpster diving at the upscale apartment complex where he ran maintenance. Both of our boys got Lane hope chests, for example.
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:54 pm

I think I overestimated! Who? Me? Never. lmao I'd hoped I could do 100 hats to send off this fall. Today I did what TxM called a "head count" ( : and I'm only at 33. Here they are: first group for toddlers and second for elementary school aged children.

Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:56 pm

Hats 15 thru 33 (and those still to come) are for teens.

Back to top Go down
sewn3w

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:16 pm

QBee everyone of those is so nice. Darling sweet patterns for little ones and good choices for the older ones. A young lady in my church made a lot of the same and sold to help finance a trip to Bulgaria to help a lady who is adopting 2 special needs children. It was amazing to see how fast she sold them. She works full time is unmarried and made hats when she wasn't "busy". She actually kept them with her and knitted and crocheted during church services because she couldn't keep up with orders. "Hats off" to her and you for being so industrious! clap
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13244
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:52 pm

You must be having a blast making all those cute hats.... sweet!!!

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 20309
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:03 pm

They look great, such a wonderful selection, you are fantastic QBee Hug

Number of posts : 3497

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:02 pm

so cute! lovehearts

Living in the beautiful Sierra Nevada of Northern California

http://community.webshots.com/user/abertquiltmom9
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:58 pm

QBee, it is quality that makes these a total delight for the people who get them.
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:54 am

That's how I like to make stuff too. Different colors and styles, no boredom. Always exciting to see the next one done. You may not reach 100 but you certainly have it going in the quality over quantity dept. Those are awesome.

http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:15 am

Thank you for the nice comments and encouragement. You are right, TxM, I'm lacking in patience for doing the same thing and over. I don't know how the hats will be distributed, but I hope the older kids will be able to choose. It would be nice if each feels a little special about warming his/her head with a hat deemed as cool. ( :
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:40 pm

More hats! I was given a gift of $40.00 to use for yarn for hats. I planned colors, spent the $40, and made a concentrated effort to see how many hats I'd get out of the yarn. I still have small amounts that will make headbands or mix in with other yarn for multi-color hats, but this batch is pretty much only the gift yarn. . . 17 hats + 2 headbands. (bringing the total number ready-to-donate to 52)

Back to top Go down
sewn3w

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:25 pm

QBee what a wonderful selection of hats. There are going to be a lot of really happy youngsters thanks to YOU!!
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:36 pm

Wow, that's a good amount for $40. I've never made an effort to figure it out but didn't think it would be that many. Nice return on the money and I love the variety of patterns you used. All unique and colorful.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:18 pm

QB , as always WONDERFUL !!!Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Crocheted Hats   Today at 4:37 am

Back to top Go down

Crocheted Hats
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next