The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars

Share | 

Family threw me a quilting challenge. Unexpectedly!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
sewn3w

Number of posts : 4928
Registration date : 2012-04-18

PostSubject: Family threw me a quilting challenge. Unexpectedly!   Mon May 20, 2013 5:29 pm

My dear sweet addlebrained sister visited me a couple weeks ago. Took her to the sewing room and walked her thru making a couple things. She was so taken by my workspace and storage and some of the projects I have hanging around that she decided I needed to have a bundle of things she had in storage.
Most of this came from my Aunt who stopped quilting 15-20 years ago. A few pieces have accumulated from ??? And lo and behold, my sister discovered she had all the missing family quilt pieces I have hunted for about 4 years. <Sigh>
So she sent me the bundle with a message that she knows I will make something really special out of all this. WHAT????
I have no clue what to do with it all. Everything is hand pieced. If anyone thinks for a nano second that I will hand piece anything they are ready for the loony bin. (My hat's off to all you wonderful hand piecers.)
There is a stack of blocks, all sizes, stacks of cut pieces ready to make into blocks. Stacks of muslin pieces and solid color pieces. Strips of bias, scrap pieces very small. And 2 strips of blocks sewn together.
So I am going to sort and store by well I am not sure yet what will be the determining factor. Then I am going to turn out the light and walk upstairs and spend my summer in the back yard. Come fall I might think about all this. Or not.

There are 5 blocks to this strip

There are 4 blocks to this strip
Back to top Go down
Anita M.

Number of posts : 6224
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Family threw me a quilting challenge. Unexpectedly!   Mon May 20, 2013 5:36 pm

Beautiful! What a treasure! Maybe Marian can help you with it? anitas
Back to top Go down
InsufferableBratt

Number of posts : 2617

PostSubject: Re: Family threw me a quilting challenge. Unexpectedly!   Mon May 20, 2013 5:37 pm

Well, my first thought is you could do a table runner or pillow forms out of some of those. Those would not require additional piecing. Nobody said you had to use everything in the same quilt!

I really like the pink with polka dots fabric.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 19930
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Family threw me a quilting challenge. Unexpectedly!   Mon May 20, 2013 6:48 pm

Lovely collection of blocks, now what to do with them, I think Id simply sash them and make a couple of quilts to share, one for you and one for your sister (not sure if other family members to think of) The dresden block in the second pic, can you simply applique it onto a plain square, no piecing that way. You might have to be harsh and discard some stuff or a lot of stuff like teeny bias pieces and solids if you cant or dont want to use them. Give them to a charity shop so someone else can have fun with them and keep the blocks?? Just some quick thoughts, enjoy the back garden!!

Number of posts : 3374

PostSubject: Re: Family threw me a quilting challenge. Unexpectedly!   Tue May 21, 2013 4:39 am

Sash around each block log cabin style till they are a uniform size. Then sew them together into memory quilts. Or send them to me. Very Happy

I too have a ditzy sister who sometimes decides what I need is lots of ideas. It would be great if she would gift me with something but no just ideas. sigh
Back to top Go down
sewn3w

PostSubject: Re: Family threw me a quilting challenge. Unexpectedly!   Tue May 21, 2013 5:18 am

Red, maybe our sisters were separated at birth. lol! Just where do they come up with ideas for other people to "take over" whether we want to or not. The ideas usually sound good, but frequently are not practical or just won't fit into my time or energy level. Hm. Family gotta love em right?
Back to top Go down
Luvsquilting

Number of posts : 2736
Registration date : 2008-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Family threw me a quilting challenge. Unexpectedly!   Tue May 21, 2013 12:04 pm

Hand piecing. Probably NOT!!!! whew
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts : 9488

PostSubject: Re: Family threw me a quilting challenge. Unexpectedly!   Tue May 21, 2013 1:01 pm

Bratt is right about the strips making nice tablerunners. Or they would be very nice as Bed runners. The Dresden would be a nice pillow. Single blocks could be hotpads/potholders. You do not have to make "more" of any of them. Making small projects from what is there allows you to share with family. For instance, the duckies on the dresden would be so cute for that cutey pie GD of yours. A small label crediting your Aunt makes them a nice heirloom.

The fabric itself is not an heirloom, only the blocks she made. So don't feel bad passing on any fabric you don't want. People do that all the time.

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
sewn3w

PostSubject: Re: Family threw me a quilting challenge. Unexpectedly!   Tue May 21, 2013 4:57 pm

Everyone has good ideas and suggestions. Thank you! I will be keeping these in mind when I get around to doing something with them. I am kicking around taking the 2 strips apart and doing table runners. Maybe. Someday. There really isn't much fabric worth anything. The pile is mostly muslin snips and bits. There is a stack of solids (looks like poplin) about half as much as the muslin. That can all be used up here and there. Just not enough of any to make a border or use as the white in blocks. So those will just be fill ins here and there. However there is a goodly stack of cut blocks, 2 sizes. I didn't measure them. So they may go on the other quilting board for sale some day. Guess we'll see.
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

Number of posts : 11398

PostSubject: Re: Family threw me a quilting challenge. Unexpectedly!   Wed May 22, 2013 12:20 am

that Dresden looks as though it would make a great center for a quilt (maybe a wall hanging for a child's room?). making the others into table runners to spread around the family seems like a fine idea to me.
Back to top Go down
Jill

Number of posts : 4344
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Family threw me a quilting challenge. Unexpectedly!   Wed May 22, 2013 8:36 pm

Everyone has already given you lots of good ideas. I'd just like to give you another ditzy sister.
Back to top Go down
sewn3w

PostSubject: Re: Family threw me a quilting challenge. Unexpectedly!   Thu May 23, 2013 4:38 am

Jill wrote:
Everyone has already given you lots of good ideas. I'd just like to give you another ditzy sister.

Oh you're too kind. Really waaayyyyy too kind! lmao
Back to top Go down
texasmusicmom

Number of posts : 6743
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Family threw me a quilting challenge. Unexpectedly!   Thu May 23, 2013 6:12 am

lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

PostSubject: Re: Family threw me a quilting challenge. Unexpectedly!   Thu May 23, 2013 3:49 pm

lmao

http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

Number of posts : 11398

PostSubject: Re: Family threw me a quilting challenge. Unexpectedly!   Thu May 23, 2013 8:14 pm

lol!
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Family threw me a quilting challenge. Unexpectedly!   Sun May 26, 2013 5:27 am

Im not giving you mine, I like you too much!! coolsmiley

PostSubject: Re: Family threw me a quilting challenge. Unexpectedly!   Sun May 26, 2013 7:02 am

Thumbup Thanks Gimpy!!!
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

PostSubject: Re: Family threw me a quilting challenge. Unexpectedly!   Sun May 26, 2013 8:45 pm

whew

Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Family threw me a quilting challenge. Unexpectedly!   Mon May 27, 2013 5:23 am

lmao

Number of posts : 3928

PostSubject: Re: Family threw me a quilting challenge. Unexpectedly!   Tue May 28, 2013 8:56 pm

What a wonderful treasure!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Family threw me a quilting challenge. Unexpectedly!   Today at 4:28 pm

Back to top Go down

Family threw me a quilting challenge. Unexpectedly!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1