The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wishing you all a Happy and Peaceful Holiday Season

Share | 

Cooks Thesaurus

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 20333
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Cooks Thesaurus   Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:31 pm

With members being from different countries often recipes contain ingredients we arent familiar with, or the names used for them in different places. I have been using this site for years, its the best place to find what you can substitute stuff for in recipes and you can look an ingredient or food up and find what it is etc

http://www.foodsubs.com/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cooks Thesaurus   Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:50 pm

What a great site! I know ingredients are called by different names in different countries. I think a lot of us refer to products by their most famous brand names..like Jello. That's flavored gelatin in the U.S.
I remember a discussion we had about cool whip. A non-dairy whipped cream alternative that is very common in the U.S. LOL
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 20333

PostSubject: Re: Cooks Thesaurus   Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:37 pm

yeah its a great site and you can find so much by the brand/trade name. When I was a kid they sold cool whip here but it dissapeared yrs and yrs ago. In australia

jello = jelly
jelly = jam (fruit preserve/conserve)

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Cooks Thesaurus   Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:52 pm

Did I just dream it, or did someone named Polly (who appears to live in the UK) ask about where to get Cool Whip?

I checked when I went to the supermarket here yesterday and online today, and found a dry equivalent called Dream Topping which is sold in the aisle with custard here and made by Bird's (the custard people).

Can't say I've tried it, but having grown up with Cool Whip and Dream Whip in Canada, I have to say I never liked either much...I though Cool Whip tasted like soap! :tongue:

I found a couple of places here in the UK that supply "American" stuff like cake mixes, marshmallows and other baking supplies.

Haven't used this one, but the delivery charges seem not too bad considering the maximum weight...
USA groceries

Know someone who has used this one, but you have to pay a membership and the delivery charges aren't cheap, but she was happy enough.
Skyco

Hope this helps whoever has that sweet urge!

Roxanne
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cooks Thesaurus   Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:21 pm

Hi Gumbycat. No you didn't dream it. I am called Polly and do live in the UK. My reason for finding a English equivalent to Cool Whip was because it is used in several of the sweet recipies on this site. I wanted to get the recipie right.......i thought of instant whip and dream topping too. I will give one of them a go and see how it turns out.
Where in the UK are you?
Polly
Back to top Go down
Gumbiecat

Number of posts : 22

PostSubject: Re: Cooks Thesaurus   Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:02 am

Polly wrote:
Where in the UK are you?

I live on the outskirts of Wokingham. What part of London are you in?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cooks Thesaurus   Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:18 pm

Gumbiecat

I live in Orpington which is right on the borders of London and Kent. Round the other side of the M25 to you !!!

Polly x
Back to top Go down
tlcquiltnut

Number of posts : 1078

PostSubject: Re: Cooks Thesaurus   Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:45 pm

We have what is called Dream Whip here in the states and it is a dry mix you add milk to and it turns into whipped cream, but a fat free one. Sounds like what you are talking about Polly, If either of you want some would be glad to send you some....
Back to top Go down
Schnookie

Number of posts : 1928

PostSubject: Re: Cooks Thesaurus   Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:28 pm

Wow I just found this and that is a great site Gimpy! I have booked marked it I know I will be using it a lot now that we have a recipe swap going on. So many people so close but so far away...I am sure happy we have this internet thing going on! :yahoo: Now I just widh I would learn how to spell, I am just so bad at it. doh
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cooks Thesaurus   Today at 11:52 pm

Back to top Go down

Cooks Thesaurus
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1