The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Summer Pavilion, what to do or what NOT to do!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
sewn3w

Number of posts : 5017
Registration date : 2012-04-18

PostSubject: Summer Pavilion, what to do or what NOT to do!   Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:18 am

DH had a great idea for anchoring our summer pavilion. We keep the frame up year round and bungee a tarp on the top. We keep a spare tarp to cover the windy side when we have picnics. So here is the frame work.

Here is the anchor. New free ice cream buckets from either Handels or Katie's Corner, can't remember which. Each is filled with white pebbles, there is a small hole in the top for the aluminum frame. Now no more problems with it blowing down and twisting and being damaged in a windshear. NE Ohio can have some amazing storms.

And here is why the good idea in theory isn't so good in reality. Dang!!!
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts : 9694
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Summer Pavilion, what to do or what NOT to do!   Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:18 am

We have that problem with any plastic buckets we use especially in our heat. If you can find a professional housepainter in your area, they usually have metal 5 gal buckets and will usually be happy to give you the empties.  They have holes in the lid just like these plastic ones. Last much longer.

Oh yeah, Mac always drills holes in the bottom if they are not going to be used for liquid. You don't want water sitting in them and freezing or rusting out the bottoms.

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

Number of posts : 11557

PostSubject: Re: Summer Pavilion, what to do or what NOT to do!   Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:11 pm

Oops!
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 20309
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Summer Pavilion, what to do or what NOT to do!   Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:51 pm

Cement - when I need to anchor something we buy cheap buckets like what you have and fill them with concrete/cement and sink the poles into it, your pavillion wont go anywhere and when the time comes that the plastic bucket disintergrates, simply pull it away and the concrete plug will be left behind and they hardly weather at all. Whilst heavy, the cement buckets can still be moved, you wouldnt have to fill them to the top if you didnt want to

PostSubject: Re: Summer Pavilion, what to do or what NOT to do!   Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:22 am

Gimpy Cat wrote:
Cement - when I need to anchor something we buy cheap buckets like what you have and fill them with concrete/cement and sink the poles into it, your pavillion wont go anywhere and when the time comes that the plastic bucket disintergrates, simply pull it away and the concrete plug will be left behind and they hardly weather at all. Whilst heavy, the cement buckets can still be moved, you wouldnt have to fill them to the top if you didnt want to

yeah, Bob's worked years in construction and knows the cement bucket trick. Went for cheap and quick. you get what you pay for lol! 
Back to top Go down
memaw4

Number of posts : 9462

PostSubject: Re: Summer Pavilion, what to do or what NOT to do!   Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:51 am

yeah, Bob's worked years in construction and knows the cement bucket trick. Went for cheap and quick. you get what you pay for  

**************************************************************************************************************

I've tried for years to tell my husband this, but does he listen?  NO!
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Summer Pavilion, what to do or what NOT to do!   Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:03 pm

Memaw, what did you guys end up doing with this?

Number of posts : 11557

PostSubject: Re: Summer Pavilion, what to do or what NOT to do!   Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:43 pm

what DH did for this sort of issue:

1. dig post hole
2. fill with cement
3. slide uprights into the cement.
4. make sure there are no openings that can fill the post with water.
Back to top Go down
memaw4

PostSubject: Re: Summer Pavilion, what to do or what NOT to do!   Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:13 am

Gimpy Cat wrote:
Memaw, what did you guys end up doing with this?

You lost me here Gimpy!   Refresh my memory...... please.
Back to top Go down
sewn3w

PostSubject: Re: Summer Pavilion, what to do or what NOT to do!   Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:56 pm

Gimpy it was my dh that went fast and cheap on the pavilion. We are shoveling pebbles into another bucket with a fireplace shovel and picking up the rest by hand. The pavilion will come down until spring and then he will replace with something faster and cheaper. ( she says with a wink and a smile )
Back to top Go down
memaw4

PostSubject: Re: Summer Pavilion, what to do or what NOT to do!   Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:43 pm

Thanks Sewn...... lol!   lmao
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Summer Pavilion, what to do or what NOT to do!   Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:27 pm

Typo error, wrong name but you knew what I meant Sewn! I came across the topic last night and wondered what had happened lol!

PostSubject: Re: Summer Pavilion, what to do or what NOT to do!   Today at 4:35 am

Back to top Go down

Summer Pavilion, what to do or what NOT to do!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1