The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wishing you all a Happy and Peaceful Holiday Season

Share | 

Ruffle crochet scarf

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
InsufferableBratt

Number of posts : 2656
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Ruffle crochet scarf   Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:42 pm

I have bene trying to teach myself to crochet so I can make one of those ruffle scarves. I thought it might *help* to actually learn what I was doing before I started.

I bought two things of the Sashay yarn from Red Heart when I bought stuff to begin with. I watched the video at Red Heart several times and still didn't understand what they were trying to do. I found a few other methods online, but those don't seem to be working quite as well.

Found this video today and it seems pretty clear to me! Actually, I think I may be doing single crochet wrong, which is why my test project seems too skinny yet at this point.

http://dearestdebi.com/red-heart-sashay-crochet-ruffle-scarf

I am anxious to try this one now and see if it works or not.
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

Number of posts : 11568

PostSubject: Re: Ruffle crochet scarf   Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:54 pm

ARGH! that looks suspiciously like work to me!
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 20333
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Ruffle crochet scarf   Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:16 am

I hope the new tutorial works for you, its frustrating when you want to learn something and easy to follow info isnt easy to find. The internet makes the world a different place now doesnt it? Laura makes amazing loom band things by watching tutorial videos, she is in the process of making a 30" long chinese dragon, she will spend days or weeks working on it here and there. Hope the scarf comes together for you

Number of posts : 9707

PostSubject: Re: Ruffle crochet scarf   Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:57 am

That's the good tutorial! I am glad you found that one. It makes a fuller thicker scarf but you will need at least 1 1/2 balls of sashay to get a nice length. Both DDs like the length this creates, 1 ball is too short and 2 full balls is too long and gets hung up on stuff. Other tutorials are poorly done or make a skinny, anemic looking scarf.

When you are ready to start the second skein. Just overlap your yarn for about 4-5 inches and work through both layers at once. It really is just a simple single crochet, a bit awkward when you start but easy when you get going. Let me know if you still have trouble with your single crochet. If you are not going "under" two threads, front and back part of top of chain, you are not doing it right. Working just through the front loop or just through the back loop will change the appearance.

Good luck.

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts : 9707

PostSubject: Re: Ruffle crochet scarf   Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:59 am

Oh and it is much easier to work with the Sashay yarn by stretching open the whole skein and winding it around a toilet paper tube or a piece of cardboard. It is faster than opening a few inches, crocheting, opening a few inches, etc. You can't find your rhythm if you do that. So open up the whole skein before you start.

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
Linda 2B

Number of posts : 3405

PostSubject: Re: Ruffle crochet scarf   Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:08 pm

Tx Mary good idea! I'll have to do that when I make another one. I've made several of these and I don't know any stitches except single and double crochet.
Back to top Go down
InsufferableBratt

Number of posts : 2656

PostSubject: Re: Ruffle crochet scarf   Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:33 pm

I actually found the TP tube idea last week online. I was so happy when I finished off a roll! lmao I was not gonna dig through the trash for one.

I started it last night, ripped out, and had some extra time before work today so strated again. The bad news is when I got home and tried to pick it up, my safety pin wasn't holding things together and I lost everything. New plan....start using the 2nd hole in! This seems to be working much better now, although I think I have some counting issues. My biggest complaint about this yarn is if you lose your place somehow,, it's really hard to find it without ripping everything out.

I need to test my theory on what I'm doing wrong on the test project before I rip it out (again!) I was going under only one loop at first, but then realized it was to be 2 and switched. Now I think the problem is I'm not wrapping the yarn around a second time before moving on to the next hole. I was wrapping it around and pulling EVERyYHING over at once. I think half the problem on the test project is they made the chain so stinkin' long that it's driving me crazy.

Gimpy, I'd like to see Laura's dragon when she's done with it. That sounds very cool!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ruffle crochet scarf   Today at 11:54 pm

Back to top Go down

Ruffle crochet scarf
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1