The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wishing you all a Happy and Peaceful Holiday Season

Share | 

Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Fruit Butters - Sweet Condiments

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 20329
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Fruit Butters - Sweet Condiments   Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:35 pm

Pear Marmalade

4lb ripe firm pears
1 large lemon
1 large orange
6 cups sugar
4 cinnamon sticks
16 whole cloves

Wash peel and core pears, cut into quarters adn then in halves again. Cut orange and lemon into 8 chunks, discard seeds, chop all fruit in a food processor being careful to keep it chunky.

Place fruit and sugar into large pot, bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and add cinnamon and cloves. Simmer uncovered for one hour or until thickened. Remove cinnamon sticks and cloves, cover and allow to stand overnight at room temp. Ladle into containers and freeze or can.

* I didnt leave mine to stand overnight, I simple put it hot into sterilised jars as soon as it was cooked.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Fruit Butters - Sweet Condiments   Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:22 pm

I just spent half the day making some jams/preserves. I had 7lb (3kg) of big fat juicy black cherries (Van type) I sat out on the verandah this morning with the piping top from a piping bag assembly, I used the one cut on a 45 angle for cream etc. Its great for sticking in, twisting and pulling the pips out. that took me about an hour at most - you should have seen my hands! Then I made a big batch of cherry jam on the stove top. After that I really needed to use some nectarines that were sitting there so I put them, 4 fat black plums and made up the extra weight with cherries and made that into jam. This time I tried making it in the microwave, seems quite easy. I even got game and just before put two of the jars complete wtih their lids on, into the microwave and cooked them for 2mins as they hadnt vacume sealed properly - that ought to do it. DH was nervous but I said to him "look, no sparks' LOL this book I have tells you how to do your canning, jams etc in the microwave, you put those ball jars with their metal lids right into the microwave, I sure am curious to try more. Got the book from the libary, I think i will find a copy for sale!

Number of posts : 13244

PostSubject: Re: Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Fruit Butters - Sweet Condiments   Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:47 pm

that is really interesting.. I put plastic in one day and got sparks.. go figure... bet your jam is delcious...

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
Calico_Chris

Number of posts : 4269
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Fruit Butters - Sweet Condiments   Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:14 pm

SOunds interesting GC...sounds yummy too...I looked up Van cherrries as I am not familiar with the term, they look very much like the Michigan tart cherry (Montmorency),
Michigan produces 70 to 75 percent of the tart cherries grown in the United States.
Just tart enough....lovely cooking cherry too.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Fruit Butters - Sweet Condiments   Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:43 pm

CC the Van, Lapin and Stella variety of cherries are all kind of similar, not sure if you have those variety names there? They are all very big cherries, very dark flesh amost black and very sweet. Wonderful eating fruit. We get the bing here but I dont like them as much although I understand they make great jam. The white varieties Im not as fond of either although they look pretty. Come to think of it I havent seen any of the 'red' ones here in tassie, we have oodles of varieties but they are either white (small proportion of the crops) or the big fat black ones. I was reading that last year one company here shipped almost 18ton of non-fumigated white flesh ones to Japan, at $5,000 a ton sounds like good business apparently to get rights to ship non-fumigated cherries into japan is unheard of, they must be doing something right , it might be to do with us being a fruit fly free state? Apparently Tasmania produces about 6000 tonne s a year so far which is increasing and is exporting to our mainland, the US, Japan, Taiwan and Sth Korea. I know the cherry orchards are expanding in our state. Our climate and position on the globe has our fruit ripening a month before and a month after the competition of the mainland, new zealand and chile. I see at different times of the season Simone, Regina, Bing and other varieties. We are lucky, we live surrounded by areas growing cherries and apples etc, its wonderful.

Number of posts : 12825

PostSubject: Re: Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Fruit Butters - Sweet Condiments   Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:40 pm

Gimpy can you grow grapes there?? Don't think I've ever heard you talk about any.

Smitten Norma

The hurrier I go the behinder I get!
http://s632.photobucket.com/albums/uu46/suziq-41/
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Fruit Butters - Sweet Condiments   Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:59 pm

Tasman ia has a big Cool Climate Wine industry, apparently they are producing some gold medal winning world class wines, I understand they are very good (dont drink wine myself so cant comment)

Winning gold medals at world comps for whiskey and some other liquors too, one place in particular is listed in the whisky bible as one of the top 5 producers in the world which is high praise indeed. Their stuff is really good, they make a cherry liquor I gave some to my dad our first xmas here along with one of their tasmanian pepper berry liquors and another of theirs, he loved them. Im not a whisky drinker, prefer bourbon but I have tastetd this guys and its beautiful.

All kinds of things in production down here, its quite fascinating, you can go tour a small but busy ginseng farm, they farm salmon and use the fish water to grow the ginseng which is apparently world class ginseng.

Number of posts : 3937

PostSubject: Re: Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Fruit Butters - Sweet Condiments   Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:17 pm

Sounds wonderful!!! I am wanting to do some cherries and some others, but guess I'd better wait.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Fruit Butters - Sweet Condiments   Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:13 pm

Hummer the cherries are so good at the moment, this couple of weeks is peak time for cherries, giant fat black ones, Im talking 1" to 1 1/2" across sweet fat cherries - wish I could drop some off for you

This is one of the local places we get our cherries, one of bobs favourite students Chloe - this is her mum and dads business, she is always orking there over the summer holidays

http://www.cherryshed.com.au/cherries.php

Oh another crop, yesterday heralded the start of the blackcurrant harvest. The produce a lot of fruit that gets used for juices, syrups and other blackcurrant products, mmmm love blackcurrant juice. We will be growing our own bushes, a friend will share some of hers with us when we are ready.

We also buy cherries and juice from this family

http://www.spreytonfresh.com.au/about.htm

just depends whether we turn left or right when we reach the end of our street as to who we buy from, they are both about 15mins from us in opposite directions

Admin

PostSubject: [b]Sweet Orange Jam Recipe[/b]   Thu May 06, 2010 3:26 am

recipe from the Australian Womans Weekly, an old recipe file index card mum gave me yrs ago

Sweet Orange Jam

2 oranges 5 cups water
1 lemon 1.5kg/3lb sugar

wash fruit, slive very thinly and remove pips. Place fruit in a basin, add water, cover and stand for 2 days

Place fruit and water into large pan, boil for one hour. Add sugar, stirring over low heat until it dissolves then bring back to the boil. Boil rapidly for 40-50mins or until jam sets (jells when tested on a cold saucer) Pour into hot sterlised jars & seal. Makes about 5 cups

(Will add a pic when I finish mine)

Number of posts : 4566
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Fruit Butters - Sweet Condiments   Thu May 06, 2010 8:13 am

oooooo sounds wonderful...so you use the rinds too?

Laura living in NW Montana

<<< "Quilter's share a common thread" >>>
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Fruit Butters - Sweet Condiments   Thu May 06, 2010 8:28 am

Is this like an orange marmalade???

Golo

Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

Number of posts : 2276
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Fruit Butters - Sweet Condiments   Thu May 06, 2010 9:36 am

Let it stand on the counter or in the refrigerator?

My mom really likes marmalade. I'd make points if I could make her something a little special...

Do you choose (or have the choice) of thin-skinned oranges/lemons, or does it matter?

(Sheesh, lookit me, asking questions like I'd actually COOK something) hahaha

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Fruit Butters - Sweet Condiments   Thu May 06, 2010 1:19 pm

FB, for moms we would do anything.... Thumbup

Golo

Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Fruit Butters - Sweet Condiments   Thu May 06, 2010 6:03 pm

FB I just used the two oranges sitting on the bench staring at me with their one eye's. They were navels and the lemon was just a local who knows what off a tree although it was fairly thin skinned. If you want something different and faster to make as you dont have to wait two days (yes on the counter, not the fridge unless its 100f LOL) make her the pear marmalade recipe posted at the top. If you can get hold of any pears that is, its faster and is I bet $$ she has never had pear marmalade before, goes a pretty colour and tastes delicous, a more delicate flavour than traditional marmalade.

Mamu yes I used the rinds, I trimmed the eye and stalk ends off and then simply sliced the fruit really finely, rinds and all.

Golo no its not strong like a marmalade, its got a sweeter taste and is more jam like if that makes sense? It does have the rinds left in it though like marmalade does. Its not as bitter as marmalade can be I dont think.

I'll grab the camer and take a couple of pics of the bowl and what I have sitting here, wont be long! pics

Im back, sorry if I kept you waiting - did you miss me? LOL

when I pulled the cling wrap back to take pictures, ohhhh its smells yummy!

Number of posts : 4269
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Fruit Butters - Sweet Condiments   Sat May 08, 2010 6:53 am

yummmm...this looks like its going to taste wonderful !
I'm a big orange marmalade fan......best served on seeded rye toast (some think its an odd combination (dh) But there is something about it that just does it for me)
Look forward to more pics....I did get my microwave canning book....interesting book. Now all I need is
1. Time
2. Ripe local fruit (will be quite a wait for this one)
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Fruit Butters - Sweet Condiments   Sat May 08, 2010 5:24 pm

I can see it would be yummy on seeded bread, I like multigrain and seeded breads, espcially toasted with a boiled egg, mmmm

I will be finishing the jam today, will take pics

PostSubject: Re: Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Fruit Butters - Sweet Condiments   Tue May 11, 2010 2:27 pm

Just got home from a strawberry farm. DH and I picked 16 lbs of strawberries.....they were huge, ruby red and sooo sweet. Making jam, DH had short cake baking for tonights dessert and the rest are being frozen forture fruit pies.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Fruit Butters - Sweet Condiments   Tue May 11, 2010 5:28 pm

Oh yummy that sounds delicous, bet your place smells wonderful right now!

PostSubject: Re: Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Fruit Butters - Sweet Condiments   Fri May 14, 2010 4:41 pm

Gimpy, I have my oranges and lemon all cut up in water.... is it okay to leave them on the counter or should I refrigerate them for the next 2 days...???

Golo

Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Fruit Butters - Sweet Condiments   Fri May 14, 2010 5:10 pm

I left mine to sit on the counter covered in cling wrap, I think if it was very hot that wouldnt be a good idea but its not really hot at your place yet so should be fine. Did I tell you my batch got ruined and I need to start again? A little person in the house who shall remain unidentified was helpful and stirred it with a wooden spoon that was being used to stir chicken curry Shocked end of my sweet orange jam batch. Its on my list to do again next week

PostSubject: Re: Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Fruit Butters - Sweet Condiments   Fri May 14, 2010 7:55 pm

Shocked Oh no... I am excited to make this....

Golo

Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Fruit Butters - Sweet Condiments   Mon May 17, 2010 8:40 pm

Made several jars of the marmalade, haven't tasted it yet... also made a couple jars of strawberry rhubarb... so I now have jams for awhile... Gave one marmalade to FIL and he was excited...

Golo

Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Fruit Butters - Sweet Condiments   Tue May 18, 2010 12:13 am

Oh yummy, were you happy with the easieness of the recipe? Bet it smelled good, mmmm

PostSubject: Re: Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Fruit Butters - Sweet Condiments   Tue May 18, 2010 8:34 am

This was really easy and of course it smelled wonderful....... lovehearts

Golo

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Fruit Butters - Sweet Condiments   Today at 11:17 am

Back to top Go down

Jams, Jellies, Preserves, Fruit Butters - Sweet Condiments
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next