The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wishing you all a Happy and Peaceful Holiday Season

Share | 

Book I'm Reading

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
FiberBabble

Number of posts : 2276
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Mon May 23, 2016 10:40 am

I'm on to The Masque of the Black Tulip, by Lauren Willig. Historical intrigue, romance. The reviews say there's humour and wit, too, but I guess I'm not far enough into it yet.

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Tue May 24, 2016 9:59 am

I put the Masque book on hold, fired up Love in a Nutshell by Janet Evanovich and Dorien Kelly. Finished it in one day.
Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 20333
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Wed May 25, 2016 3:01 am

Tracey Im glad you are posting so we know you are ok and still with us, we miss you and will take any moment you can spare to pop in with us Hug

Im currently reading The Beast by JR Ward, easy read, can do it while DH talks endlessly at me and I watch TV, I swear, that guy never shuts up, he'd talk with a mouthful of marbles under a truck load of cement.

I have no idea how many books I have read this year, tonight we were talking books and Laura asked what my favourite book was, mine is Quietly Flows The Don by Mikhail Sholokov, who else has a favourite book????

Number of posts : 1919
Registration date : 2008-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Wed May 25, 2016 5:33 am

Mine would probably be the first Outlander book, I'd have to think on it awhile though, so many choices!!
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Wed May 25, 2016 3:25 pm

Oh yes I saw Mouse had started reading the books, you will enjoy them Mouse. I havent read the last couple but they are good stories

Number of posts : 9707
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Wed May 25, 2016 4:41 pm

I can only narrow mine down to a favorite author...Louis L'Amour. He wrote westerns. I have them all and have wore off a few covers. I picture every cowboy as Sam Elliot and Tom Selleck since they starred in a few movies made from his books.

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
Mouse

Number of posts : 1054
Registration date : 2008-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Thu May 26, 2016 1:32 am

Favourite author- would be a toss up between David Eddings, J R R Tolkein and Raymond E Feist. Can't really narrow it down to a book.
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Fri May 27, 2016 10:50 am

Finished Sideswiped by Kim Harrison - it's a .5 book (as in 1,2, 2.5, 3 in a series), so it was a short one.

Now I'm trying to stick with To Say Nothing of the Dog, by Connie Willis. I've been waiting for a long time to get to this one... and it's not really buttering my biscuit. I may move on.

Back to top Go down
memaw4

Number of posts : 9476

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Fri May 27, 2016 10:58 am

Buttering my biscuit....... lol! lol!     love it.

Her Sanctuary  by, Toni Anderson
Back to top Go down
iambuzzysma

Number of posts : 1971

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sat May 28, 2016 8:46 am

I've got Stone Barrington on CD. That man loves his women! It's the latest - Family Jewels in a long series by Stuart wood - it grows on you.
Back to top Go down
Anita M.

Number of posts : 6324

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sat May 28, 2016 10:07 am

Double Knot by Gretchen Archer. Anyone else read her books? They are hilarious!
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sat May 28, 2016 10:09 am

Well, I decided to give up on To Say Nothing of the Dog. There wasn't really anything wrong with it, but it kinda rambled, I guess.

I  moved on to Street of the Five Moons, by Elizabeth Peters. It's the second in her Vicky Bliss series (a short series). In the first, the main character was introduced (duh) and she was a bit full of herself. This time the character is not as strident, and anyway -  there's a Tall, Dark, Handsome, and Mysterious Englishman in this one.

To continue with my comment earlier, I was going to say something like, 'hand me the butter'. But that didn't sound quite right.  Embarassed Neither does, 'here's my biscuit, ready for buttering'. Shocked

Um. Never mind. Carry on.
doh

Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:31 am

Street of the Five Moons was, as expected, a fun read.

I moved on to Love is the Drug by Alaya Dawn Johnson. Two hours into the (audio) book and nothing much was happening that kept my interest, so on to the Abandoned pile it went.

Now I'm back to an old favourite, Jeaniene Frost. (Helen, are you the one that recommended her books? Well chosen.) The book is This Side of the Grave.

Since I'm about to go on a 'road trip' (lots of driving today), I'm looking forward to really sinking my teeth into this one.

Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:49 pm

Yes I recommended her, I enjoyed her books, light hearted, easy fun and entertaining. Im still laughing about you offering your biscuit to be buttered lmao

I finished The Beast by JR Ward and started Rock Redemption by Nalini Singh.

Come to think of it FB, have you read any of her books? I like her Guild Hunter series, the first book is Angels Blood I think you would like them. Drive safe and hope its the last time

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:22 am

Gimpy Cat wrote:
...and started Rock Redemption by Nalini Singh.

Come to think of it FB, have you read any of her books? I like her Guild Hunter series, the first book is Angels Blood I think you would like them.  Drive safe and hope its the last time

Apparently I haven't read anything by this author.  By the looks of it, if I go down that road it will be a long, long journey - 140 books so far! I'll try her out, starting with the one you've recommended. Who knows, this might be another "go-to" author for me!

After 'This Side of the Grave', I've moved on to 'Anna Dressed in Blood' by Kendare Blake. This one is a bit different; it's written from a 17-year-old boy's perspective. I actually had to look it up to find out if the author was male or female. I guess this means that she writes "teen boy" well... at least in my (very uninformed) opinion. I've got a little more than an hour to go before the end of this book; reading the reviews gives me the impression it's not going to completely go in the direction I think it will. I stopped reading the reviews right away - I should never read reviews before I'm done with a book. So many people don't know how to write them without spoilers! (And yes, I re-wrote part of this paragraph to avoid anything spoiler-y)
riding horse

As for road-tripping, this time it was a fun one. I travelled north to take a tour of a potential mini-retreat site  RV  got to wave at a friend when I drove by her house (total surprise, I had no idea), got to have pie and iced tea with a new acquaintance, and got a card from a new-to-me library system. Wow, that last was a weird statement. I went to a library in a different 'library region' and got a card there. That means I now have access to 6 different library systems, all of their branches and (to my joy) each of their online catalogs for downloading audio books.

Back to top Go down
Jill

Number of posts : 4409
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:49 pm

I think I'm reading Hostile Witness by Rebecca Foster. I haven't picked it up in weeks, so I might have to go back and refresh my poor worn out memory.
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:46 am

After 'Anna Dressed in Blood' (which was okay, but I'm not going to go out of my way for another by this author), I read 'Magic Strikes' by Ilona Andrews. This is #3 in a series that I enjoyed well enough to re-start from the beginning after a loooooonnnng break between #2 and #3.

Then I popped in 'The Sweet Spot' by Stephanie Evanovich (apparently Janet's niece??). The first book of hers, 'Love in a Nutshell', was fun. This one, not so much. Mostly because it's the story of two side-characters in the Nutshell book and how they got together. They weren't all that interesting as side characters and the fact that this story precedes  the one I've already read messes with my sense of order. :hammer: After I'd decided to give up on the book, I did read the reviews. Either 5-star or 1-star. And the 1-stars were VERY passionate.

So, I'm in between books for a minute.

JUST a minute... coolsmiley

Back to top Go down
Anita M.

Number of posts : 6324

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:17 pm

That's funny, Tracy! I started TheSWeet Spot too but found it so long-winded that I got bored too. Gave up on it. Right now I am reading the second in the Quilts and Kilts series by Patience Griffin, Meet Me in Scotland. Good trashy novels!
Back to top Go down
slumbersoft

Number of posts : 2116
Registration date : 2011-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:47 pm

Not sure I can say total favorite but the Outlander series is right up there, favorite love story for sure. Also, almost anything by Anya Seton.
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:37 am

Yesterday I finished up Rapture in Death by JD Robb (Nora Roberts). I've lost track of how many in this series that I've read; and now I've made it my Mission In Life to find and read all of the series, in order (this one is #4). Since there are 40+ books so far, I'm good for awhile. winking

Then I opened up Every Crooked Nanny, by Mary Kay Andrews. A cop-turned-PI-turned-housekeeping-service-owner... It has what I assume will be quirky characters. It wasn't fitting my mood, though, so I set it aside for awhile.

I moved on to Fledgling by Octavia E. Butler. I think it's a YA thing, but so far it's sure not written that way. It's quiet and dark. I don't *think* that's my mood, but  it's keeping my interest for now.

Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:22 pm

Okay, 'Fledgling' was definitely NOT a YA book. There was touching and stuff. But it was compelling and I finished it last night. In fact, I was kinda disappointed that my friend went with me to guild meeting - that meant that I couldn't listen to the book while driving to and from the meeting!

The only 'downside' that I noticed was that the main character was voiced as though she were reading a report. The rest of the characters had emotion (and different pitches - that was done really well), but the MC was kind of stilted. Maybe it was because she was suffering from amnesia and the narrator was trying to make her sound a bit more... alien? (not green men, just different)

Anyhoo, for book #53, I've started Manhunting by Jennifer Crusie. This promises to be a whole lotta different from the last one.

And unrelated but apropos to my current situation - whyizzit that I never have to sneeze in the morning until (unless) I have a mouthful of scrambled eggs?
Thud

Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:20 am

Manhunting was a hoot. I lol! at times (and usually when I was somewhere or some time it was inappropriate). Jennifer Crusie can always make me laugh.

I moved on to Hold Me Closer, Necromancer, by Lish McBride. YA, monsters , violence, meaning, some humour. I really enjoyed it - it hit the right Emotions at the right time. I think it was well written. When I finish a book and immediately want to read another by the same author, I consider that a Win.

Then I tried another new-to-me author, Carolyn Haines. The book was Splintered Bones, a mystery (no monsters, except the [human] bad guys). I kept looking for humour in that one (there was some, but it wasn't a major part of the story). I had to remind myself that not every writer is snarky-funny. It was quite well done, again it hit some Emotion (or maybe my Emotion buttons are just a bit bigger these days?). I stayed up wayyyy too late reading it*. Then, when I went to look for others by the author (another Win), I found that I already owned another... and that it was probably an earlier book in the series. :hammer: I don't think I'll go backward on this one, I'll just look for the next one.

Currently (and #57 for those who are keeping track) I'm reading Merry, Merry Ghost by Carolyn Hart. It's light, it's fluffy, it's #2 in the Bailey Ruth series. Funny, I'd read something by this author before - in the Henrie O. series - and absolutely HATED it. But I'm good with this series. And somehow it seems appropriate to start a Christmas-themed book on the first day of summer. sleigh

*This is why I don't read before bed. Reading doesn't put me to sleep. If it's the right book,  it interests me and catches my imagination. I want to know What! Happens! Next!  Fortunately, I had the next day off, so finally dropping off to sleep at 3 a.m. was not as problematic as it could have been. Thud

Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:49 am

Okay, the latest update:

• Merry, Merry Ghost / Carolyn Hart- yay
  • The Seventh Sinner / Elizabeth Peters - yay (really, it's what I expect from a Peters book... I'm running out of titles I haven't read!)
  • Poltergeist / Kat Richardson - yay (second time I've read it)
  • The Husband List / J. Evanovich - yay Light, fluffy, sweet, Evanovich humour. It had a Pride and Prejudice vibe.
  • Angel's Blood / Nalini Singh - sadly, boo. Coltrane/Tchaichovsky Syndrome: Too much sax, not enough violins. If the squishy bits were separated out a bit, I could just zone out when I got bored, but Important Information and Exposition occurred so often during the heated bits that I couldn't just skip over.
  • Daughter of Smoke and Bone / Laini Taylor - Oh, my, YAY. New series, new worlds. Excitement, mystery, profound thoughts, heartbreak. I'm off to find the second book NOW.

So, now I'm caught up (and at #62, I think, for the year). I had started The Secret Supper by Javier Sierra, but after the power of Daughter I think I need something fluffier.
winking

Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts : 9707

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:04 pm

Can't remember when I last read a book. I think it was pre-grandson. Thud I can do a lot of things in a start- stop- start manner but reading is not one of them. When I get into a book, NOTHING ticks me off like being interrupted. If you interrupt me to tell me the house is on fire, I will still snap, snarl and possibly bite. So I don't read anymore. big sigh

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
iambuzzysma

Number of posts : 1971

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:53 am

Read 4 books recently:
"Boar Island", Nevada Barr - a little different from her usual Anna Pidgeon but a good read - or I should say a good listen.
"The Passenger", Lisa Lutz - a woman's flight across country to escape her past - loved the writing style. Great read.
"Ink and Bones", Lisa Unger - a bit of the supernatural in it - great read - Tracy, I think you'd like it.
"Marrow Island", Alexis M Smith - another great read except for the ending but even that was OK.

I'm on a roll. Hope the good reads continue.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Today at 3:48 am

Back to top Go down

Book I'm Reading
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next