The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage

Share | 

Book I'm Reading

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
AuthorMessage
FiberBabble

Number of posts : 2251
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:46 am

iambuzzysma wrote:
Read 4 books recently:
"Boar Island", Nevada Barr - a little different from her usual Anna Pidgeon but a good read - or I should say a good listen.
"The Passenger", Lisa Lutz - a woman's flight across country to escape her past - loved the writing style. Great read.
"Ink and Bones", Lisa Unger - a bit of the supernatural in it - great read - Tracy, I think you'd like it.
"Marrow Island", Alexis M Smith - another great read except for the ending but even that was OK.

I'm on a roll. Hope the good reads continue.

Okay, so I investigated the Unger book. You're right, I might just like it.

It looks like it's the third in a 'series' (Fragile, Darkness, My Old Friend, and Ink and Bone)- though it's not actually officially a series, as far as I can tell. Sooo, I went to my online and physical libraries to see what I could find. What I could find is that the first book in the not-series only exists in one library and in print version. (The Darkness and Ink books are available in audio version)

This is WAY weird. I am a member of SIX library systems.  A couple of them are just single libraries, but most are part of a larger, regional, system that encompasses multiple cities/towns.  Each of the systems have different listings for their physical books/cds and downloadable audio/e-reader books. I  would guess that I have access to hundreds of thousands of books.

And can I find an audio version of "Fragile" anywhere? Noooooo. doh

Since it seems to be a not-series, I'll take my chances and try one of the other two when one becomes available. I'm sure I'll survive reading them out of order.

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
iambuzzysma

Number of posts : 1956

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:33 am

Interesting Tracy. I looked in my regional library online & no audio version either. Amazon has it in their [i]Audible[i] subscription section. Ink & Bone can easily be read as a stand-a-lone. The main character is not Jones Cooper so that may be why it's not part of his series. But he's in there. I am going to read Fragile & Darkness though as there'll probably be more after Ink.
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:22 pm

#s 64-68:

• Deep Dish, Mary Kay Andrews  It was okay. Just okay. There was a lot of assumption, a little bit of humour, a flat romance. I think I'll remove any more of this author's works. At best I give 'meh' reviews, at worst (and most frequently) I abandon or put the books 'on hold' after a couple of hours of listening.
  • An Angel for Christmas, Heather Graham It's weird. I really like the other series that this author writes, about a psychic investigator team that has ever-revolving characters all tied together (and some romance, little 'r'). But the Angel books, while sweet and still well-written, strike me as a little bit preachy. I can recommend them to other readers, but for me they aren't as satisfying.
  • Eighth Grave After Dark, Darynda Jones 8th book in the series, still enjoying them and savouring them. Smart-alec sassy face main character, smoking hot hunka hunka man, things that go bump in the night (both otherworldly and aforementioned sassy face and hunk). Add in kick-butt fighting and really tender and moving relationships and, well, I'm SO in.
  • Disco for the Departed, Colin Cotterill This is a weird little series, and surprising to me that it's got me hooked. Set in 70's Laos, containing history and commentary about the communist takeover, it's about a little old man coroner who has some connection with the dead (and solves mysteries). It sounds weird, but it's really appealing and entertaining. Not sure how I stumbled on the series, but I'm happy each time I fire up a new installment.
  • Awake at Dawn, CC Hunter Yay, again. #2 in the series. Ghosts, vampires, werewolves, summer camp. My head hasn't exploded from the teen romance/angst/teen-ness of the characters. Keeps me listening, wanting to know what happens next. The writer uses a LOT of interesting syntax (waitin' ON the bus to come, etc.) and though it is noticeable to this here Grammar Nazi, it's not so distracting that it takes away from my reading enjoyment.

Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 19916
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:54 am

Did you finish them all FB? I asked the library to purchase a couple, none of those you mention were in our catalogue. I just finished a simple mystery, Town in a Pumpkin Bash by BB Haywood, was ok. About to start #2 in a series by Karen Moning, this one is Blood Fever, fae, mystery, paranormal. First one was ok, see what this one is like

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:00 am

I finished them all and kept going, Gimpy. I'm on #86 or #87 now. Very Happy

I read all (?) of the Fever books. One of them was pretty bad, even the author knew is was 'less than'... but overall I really enjoyed the series. BUT I might have missed the last one - the Less Than one kinda tainted my opinion.

...Now that I've looked at my reviews, I see I rated #s 1, 2 and 4 four stars (of five). #3 got two stars. Apparently (reading the review I wrote) #4 redeemed the ugh of #3 and ended on a cliff-hanger. There isn't anything that indicates I was Done with the series.

I think I may have just gotten distracted!!

Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:01 pm

Thanks for the info on the series, I wasnt sure from the start but library books are free and it doesnt hurt to while away some time reading

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:25 pm

I just finished Signal by Patrick Lee, I read most it last night and just finished the last two chapters this morning, was an easy read and enjoyable, its #2 in a character series but obviously they are stand alone stories, I will get the first one though

SIGNAL
In the middle of the night, ex-Special Forces operative Sam Dryden gets a urgent call from an old colleague, desperate for his help in a last-minute secret mission. Without a moment's hesitation, Dryden agrees. The two race to a remote shack in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas, where they break in, rescue four girls before the kidnapper can harm them, then flee into the hills just seconds ahead of the arriving police and FBI team.

It's then that Sam Dryden learns the real secret behind this mission. His former teammate has been working security of a very special, very secret government project. A project that led to the development of a device which revealed what would have happened to the kidnapped girls if they hadn't intervened as they did. But as Newton's laws predict, for every action, there's an equal and opposite reaction. There are some very bad people determined to get their hands on this device, and every time Sam uses it, now matter how well intentioned, there are hidden and unintended consequences. Consequences that threaten to rip apart his very world and everything that he holds dear

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:35 pm

Next up I have one I picked up off the shelf while waiting at the library, its The Chocolate Promise also in print titled The Chocolate Apothocary by Josephine Moon, being partially set in Tasmania caught my eye

The Chocolate Promise
Christmas Livingstone has ten rules for happiness, the most important of which is 'absolutely no romantic relationships'. In The Chocolate Apothecary, her enchanting artisan store in Tasmania, she tempers chocolate and creates handmade delicacies. Surrounded by gifts for the senses, in this shop chocolate isn't just good for you, it's medicine. And then one day a stranger arrives at her front door - a dishevelled botanist seeking her help. She really doesn't need Lincoln van Luc to walk into her life, even if he does have the nicest blue eyes, the loveliest meddling grandmother and a gorgeous newly rescued dog. She really doesn't need any of it. Or does she? Set across Tasmania, Paris and Provence, this is a glorious novel of a creative woman about to find out how far in life a list of rules will take her, with an enticing tangle of freshly picked herbs, pots of flowers and lashings of chocolate scenting the air.

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Today at 11:28 pm

Back to top Go down

Book I'm Reading
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 8 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8