The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Book I'm Reading

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Anita M.

Number of posts : 7380
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Fri 15 Sep - 15:01

Just finished Bonita Faye by Margaret Moseley! Very good book! It was the authors first book and won an Edgar! Highly recommend!
Back to top Go down
Marian

Number of posts : 6452

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Thu 18 Jan - 12:22

I got Catcher In The Rye from Bethany yesterday - a classic. I have never read it before.

Marian in Ohio
Back to top Go down
Anita M.

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Thu 18 Jan - 13:10

I am reading At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon. Great book!
Back to top Go down
Jill

Number of posts : 5205
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Thu 18 Jan - 14:53

Anita M. wrote:
I am reading At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon. Great book!

Liked it too! I'm reading Rebecca Forster's "Silent Witness" the second book in her Witness Series.
Back to top Go down
Marian

Number of posts : 6452

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Thu 18 Jan - 18:28

Anita - I read that book years ago, forgot what it's about though!

Marian in Ohio
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 23627
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sat 20 Jan - 18:01

Been trying to read Year One by Nora Roberts since the week before xmas, cant get past the first 3 pages, one interruption after another. Maybe I can try again, I want to read it Thud

Number of posts : 2274
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Fri 2 Feb - 8:26

For anyone who was a fan of Alice Hoffman's earlier novels (Practical Magic, Seventh Heaven, Here on Earth...), you'd love her latest, The Rules of Magic. It's Alice Hoffman at her best.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Fri 2 Feb - 16:49

Gimpy Cat wrote:
Been trying to read Year One by Nora Roberts since the week before xmas, cant get past the first 3 pages, one interruption after another. Maybe I can try again, I want to read it Thud

Ummm, Im now at page 10, looks like I made a lot of progress since Jan 21st Thud

Number of posts : 2830
Registration date : 2008-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Thu 8 Feb - 13:48

I just read two Nancy Thayer books, the first of hers I've read, Nantucket Christmas and Island Christmas, just mindless reading... and now I'm on Jenny Colgan's Little Beach Street Bakery, I've read about three of hers now, they are good.
Back to top Go down
iambuzzysma

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Thu 8 Feb - 17:02

I've read all of Jenny Colgan's books. Love, love, love the Little Beach Street Bakery series. Wish there were more.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Thu 8 Feb - 20:28

Thanks for the two new authors, sounds like what Mum likes to read so I just found them on the library catalogue and put in a request for some of the titles! Always looking for new stuff for her to read

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Thu 8 Feb - 20:52

Just finished another Mitford book. Tomorrow I plan to start Outlander. Want to see if it's all that!
Back to top Go down
Jill

Number of posts : 5205
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sat 10 Feb - 12:18

Let me tell you, as a retired librarian, I think it's great there are so many avid readers among this group. So many people can't be bothered to pick up a book. I'm not talking about anyone in particular, and I realize that in general people are so busy they are lucky to read their daily mail. You all always provide more and more titles to put on my list.
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

Number of posts : 2479

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sat 10 Feb - 13:40

Yesterday I started 'Second Star to the Right' by Mary Alice Kruesi-Monroe. It's not my usual fare, but the description caught my attention... Very Happy

As a single mother of two, Faye O’Neill has no time for fairy tales. She’s not even certain she believes in luck. Practical, smart and desperate to escape a shadowy past, Faye takes a job at a top advertising firm in London where she hopes she and her children can find a fresh start. When she finds the beautiful two-story flat for rent in a stately old Victorian complete with a neglected but tumbling English garden, she can scarcely believe her good fortune. But it’s not long before Faye realizes everything in the old home may not be as peaceful as it seems.

A strange light begins to appear in her children’s rooms at night, and then there’s the reclusive elderly tenant her landlady warned her to steer clear of, the woman who spends her evenings spying on Faye’s children from her garret-room window. To make matters worse, Faye, who has sworn off men, discovers her downstairs neighbor Jack is a disturbingly handsome professor with a talent for charming women and children alike. Before she knows it, Faye has embarked upon a whole new adventure into a world where anything might be possible, where broken hearts can be healed by a kiss, and where Neverland may not be a place of fables, but a forgotten land one can still find if they are only brave enough to follow the second star to the right.

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sat 10 Feb - 14:53

Anita, I loved the Outlander books, I've read them all through once and am thinking it's time to start over and read again.
FB, that sounds like a good one.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sat 10 Feb - 16:53

Sounds interesting Tracey, let us know what you think of it. Im finally half way through the Nora Roberts doomsday one, just findinig it hard to get a free moment to read. I sat down yesterday with a cuppa to rest my feet and back for a bit (cooking all day sorting my produce) I never do this, no one was around, a few minutes peace and some pages of the book. Within 5 mins the 3 cats who had been no where to be seen showed up, thats ok, they all fit on the chair ok and I can pat kitties, read and drink a cuppa but then DH appeared and sat himself on the couch. Looked at my book, then started talking. Twice I huffed and picked the book up the moment he stopped and pointedly pretended to read, he just went on talking. I packed the book up, took my half a cuppa to the kitchen and went back to work Thud

Jill there are lots of readers around our area the librarians tell me, young and old alike, thats so nice to know. I found Laura and interesting book online the other day, it came into the library Friday and I see she has her nose in it already. At school the class novel is a 5th grade text, actually it was a movie and then the scriptwriter wrote the script into a small book to make more money. But hey, what would I know, Id have thought Grade 8 students could read something more to their age bracket or higher above, but Im not a teacher, so obviously I have rocks in my head thinking that.

Number of posts : 3774

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sat 10 Feb - 20:09

"Temple To The Wind" by Christopher Pastore. For someone who gets seasick on the porch swing, I sure love tales of the sea and boats. I'm reading this for the second time and still trying to learn the language.

There are many readers in my little town and no library for 15 miles. So the local hairdresser has a wall of books for exchange in her shop.

Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Tue 13 Feb - 1:51

I just finished my book. Awwww. I liked it a lot. If the blurb intrigued you at all, I recommend you give it a try.

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Mon 19 Feb - 17:35

I am reading From Black Heels to Tractor Wheels, an autobiography of Ree Drummond, the Pioneer Woman. I know some people don't but I like her show, blog and recipes. It's good so far.
I also finished the 3rd book in the JoJo Moyes series, Still Me. It's the one that started with Me Before You, there's a movie for that one. All are good, I like them. She stayed consistently good through all three which is rare.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Mon 19 Feb - 18:34

I love some of Ree Drummond's recipes, dont see her show or follow her blog though, havent time. I did finish the Nora Roberts book Year One, it was ok, nothing spectacular, just ok

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Tue 20 Feb - 16:35

Ouglander. I am hooķed!
Back to top Go down
iambuzzysma

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Tue 20 Feb - 17:41

Hardcover: The Land of Dreams by Norwegian writer, Vidar Sundstol. Set in Minnesota near Duluth - a mystery - liking it. CD: Most Dangerous Place by James Grippando - a Jack Switek, lawyer novel - they are always good.
Back to top Go down
Gwennie M

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Thu 8 Mar - 14:07

Oh, Anita, I'm happy for you that you're hooked. Now is a good time to read through them since you have the broken ankle. I was thinking of rereading those but haven't yet.
I am on the third Beach Street Bakery book (Christmas). Also been reading a lot of Nancy Thayer books and the new Anna Quindlen. And not getting much done in the way of sewing.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Thu 31 May - 2:47

Currently reading Eucalyptus by Murray Bail, its a quirky story to be sure, I like it

"Eucalyptus tells the story of Ellen Holland, a young woman whose "speckled beauty" and unattainability become legend far beyond the rural western New South Wales town near the property where she grows up. Her protective father's obsession with collecting rare species of Eucalyptus trees leads him to propose a contest - the man who can correctly name all the species on his property shall win her hand in marriage."

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Thu 31 May - 12:15

Gimpy Cat wrote:
Currently reading Eucalyptus by Murray Bail, its a quirky story to be sure, I like it

"Eucalyptus tells the story of Ellen Holland, a young woman whose "speckled beauty" and unattainability become legend far beyond the rural western New South Wales town near the property where she grows up. Her protective father's obsession with collecting rare species of Eucalyptus trees leads him to propose a contest - the man who can correctly name all the species on his property shall win her hand in marriage."

That does sound interesting, Helen. I'll have to put it on my Search list.

I've been terrible about keeping track of my reading this year. I usually write the start date, title and author of each book I read as I start it. But apparently I'm finishing and starting books 'on the road' and forget to write them down when I get home. Then I have to go through and try to re-invent the wheel, sometimes adding four or five at a time, with guess-timates for start dates. doh And, holy cow I just realized that I haven't updated my Goodreads pages since FEBRUARY. Thud

Yesterday I started 'Relatively Dead', by Sheila Connolly. The beginning of a series, it's (so far) about a doormat female, a jerk fiance, a nice-guy stranger, and the female's new-found ability to sometimes see the past by touching something - like a doorframe in an old house, or a grave marker. I'm hoping/expecting she'll kick the fiance to the curb, find out something interesting about her heritage, and make kissyface with the nice guy.

coolsmiley

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   

Back to top Go down

Book I'm Reading
Page 10 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next