The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage

Share | 

Book I'm Reading

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
iambuzzysma

Number of posts : 1956
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:04 am

FB - I just started the first Skulduggery - liking it.
Quiltmom - I'm not a Nora fan either but I think I'll try that one too. Love mysteries.
I'm reading J.A. Jance's latest - Remains of Innocence - it's a Sheriff Brady book really good. Don't like her JP Beaumont series.
Back to top Go down
sewn3w

Number of posts : 4906
Registration date : 2012-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:19 am

I am reading Angel of Auschwitz. It's is a brutal disturbing real life event that i can only read bits at a time. I am always fascinated by why people do what they do so can't leave it alone. But it's hands down one of the most disturbing reads I've ever done.
Back to top Go down
Marian

Number of posts : 4977
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:13 am

I am reading Family Patterns. It's the second in the Patchwork Mysteries series.

Marian in Ohio
Back to top Go down
slumbersoft

Number of posts : 2113
Registration date : 2011-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:29 pm

I wanted to mention a book, especially for the Australia bunch. I am reading The Light Between the Oceans by M. L. Stedman which we are doing for our library book club. I am not necessarily recommending it but I wondered if anyone has read it or heard of it. I am not quite half way finished and it is disturbing me already. It is about a lighthouse keeper and his wife on a little bitty island at the southwest corner of Australia and a larger island there. I just looked to see if it is fictional and it is but is based on Janus Island in Antarctica.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 19915
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:51 pm

I know the book Bobbie although I havent read it, they were busy filming parts of the movie here at Stanley a fishing village we almost bought a house in a couple of hours west of us. Actually we are heading to Stanley tomorrow to camp for a couple of nights on the beach. Anyway, there is no Janus Island off the coast of Western Australia like in the story, here is a comment from the author here

Speaking of antagonists, the landscape of Janus Rock and the great sea beyond is awfully unforgiving. Is it based on a real location?

No and yes. The island of Janus Rock is entirely fictitious (although I have a placeholder for it on Google maps). But the region where the Great Southern Ocean and the Indian Ocean meet is real, and the climate, weather and the landscape are more or less as I’ve described them. I wrote some of the book there: It’s a very beautiful, if sometimes fierce, part of the world.

FB and Buzzysma, are you still reading the Skulduggery books? Laura read a few of them last year but got bored with them, wondering how you found them?

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:15 am

I just started reading Woman of Courage by Wanda Brunstetter.

Marian in Ohio
Back to top Go down
iambuzzysma

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:30 am

Bobbie - I read "The Light Between the Oceans" but wished I hadn't after I finished it :(

Helen - I also got bored after reading the first 2 Skulduggeries & didn't read any more.

I just finished "All the Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr. I had to put stickies on the first page of some of the chapters as he jumps back & forth between years & at first I couldn't keep the story straight, but it was a very good read and well written.

On CD, I just finished "Escape" by Baldacci, the latest in one of his series - good read even if you didn't read the first 2. Now I'm listening to "The Sign of the Book," an older Cliff Janeway series by John Dunning. I'm not crazy about British novels but it's pretty good.
Back to top Go down
redmadder

Number of posts : 3368

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:01 am

I'm reading 'The Book Thief'.  Its hard because the chapters are so divided by the narrator's comments.  I like a continuous read.  But I can't leave it alone.  Makes me wonder how the movie is.
Back to top Go down
sewn3w

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:21 am

Wow, not good reviews here on the light between the oceans. I usually like books others don't and don't like what others do. Might have to check it out. Or not. Hmmmmm Undesided
Back to top Go down
slumbersoft

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:14 am

The Light Between the Oceans---I checked it out because it was for the book club and sounded interesting. But as soon as I read the blurb inside the cover I was afraid I would not like it. You can tell fairly soon that there is no way it can end well. It is very disturbing.
We have a new librarian choosing the books now and the first I read was Gone Girl which I hated but could not stop reading anyway. If I really don't like this one either I may stop going to the book club. I just pick and choose which months I go depending on the book so I may have to quit or at least research the books better.
Back to top Go down
iambuzzysma

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:03 am

I hated Gone Girl too. Won't watch the movie.
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

Number of posts : 2251

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:52 am

Helen, I have read the Skulduggery Pleasant books through #3. Just haven't gotten to #4 yet. I have probably mentioned this a few times before, but I have to force myself not to go straight through a series (either reading OR watching on TV). Reading books too close together amplifies the author's habits and writing quirks. If they're spread out, I'll probably forget the quirks, but back-to-back-to-back they turn into grating irritants.

For example, I'm reading the Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series (Alchemist, Magician, Sorceress, etc.). Because I enjoy them and occasionally one will end in a way that I have just GOT to find out what happens next Very Happy I did the first three pretty much back-to-back.

Not good. The author has some quirks. What became most grating to me (remember, I'm an editor, too, so I notice this sort of thing) is his use of "it was the colour of a bruise".  Now, the first time I read that, it stuck with me because it was ambiguous (yellow? purple?) and effective.  But by the middle of book 3, he'd used it FOUR times, and in different situations. Her eyes. The lake. Whatever.

That's something that, had I taken some time between the books, probably wouldn't have irritated me quite so much as it did.  I'm on hiatus from this series for a long time, until the memory of the writer's quirks (there are more) fades. A lot.

:readingsmilie: Currently I'm forcing myself to step back from the In Death series. (Nora Roberts writing as JD Robb). Over the years I've read quite a few in this series, and I recently became able to read them from #1, in order. I love this series on audio (I am sure paper reading would not be as satisfying).  But. I'm stepping back because I don't want to affect my opinion.

I'm reading As Husbands Go, by Susan Isaacs. It's light and fluffy so far. I don't know  that I love it, but it hasn't bored or irritated me yet!

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
Cindee P

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2014-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:15 pm

I am going to start Barbara Graham's latest murder book. I won it because she belongs to my other quilt web site "Quilt with us". She is a quilter and her books are humorous and include a pattern for a mystery quilt. How can it get any better?
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:47 am

Sounds like a good book Cindee and congrats on winning a book!

FB, I have the first JD Robb book sitting beside the bed, picked it up off the shelf the other day, I just started another Lee Childs so reading that, I have a Nicholas Evans book and a Lilith St Crow sitting there too. Now the bruise colour comment, that would bug me, Id end up thinking "buddy if I got my hands on you, you'd be the colour of a bruise" LOL and yeah, just what colour is he thinking of, purple, green, yellow, brown, red, black - new bruise, old bruise, blue bruise - get a new description!!!!!! I was reading a book the other day and it ticked me off, a female character had a bung knee and was on crutches yet the baddies performed a miracle I think because a chapter later they had her crawling along a corridor and climbing up onto a platform, aughhh I hate continuity errors.

Speaking of things that tick one off, I get mad at the use of the word LEAPED for crying out loud, leaped is a crap idea for a word, come on people. You dont Sleeped & Weeped, I better shut up now, getting me going on this topic is as bad as the census bureau topic

Number of posts : 2251

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:58 am

FiberBabble wrote:
I'm reading As Husbands Go, by Susan Isaacs. It's light and fluffy so far. I don't know  that I love it, but it hasn't bored or irritated me yet!

Well, that one's abandoned. Two hours in and nothing really happened. The writing was okay, but after awhile the in-depth description of the type of teacup one was holding (and how much it cost at Bergdorf's) and the uncomfortable-but-beautiful King George the Somethingth chair... well, if that's the way the 'other half' (or 1%, I'd guess) lives, they can have it. Thud

I've shared this before:

If you’re fifty years of age or younger, give a book fifty pages before you decide to commit to reading it or give it up.  If you’re over fifty, which is when time gets even shorter, subtract your age from 100—the result is the number of pages you should read before making your decision to stay with it or quit.  Since that number gets smaller and smaller as we get older and older, our big reward is that when we turn 100, we can judge a book by its cover! - Nancy Pearl

I probably give books more than 50 pages, because almost all of my books are audio. By the time I'm into the second disc  of a book (over an hour but under two, usually) I can make up my mind about keeping on.

Now I'm on to Case Histories by Kate Atkinson. It's been a long time since I acquired the book and the first couple of chapters don't sound like the sort of thing I usually read. Fortunately, I've gone back to the Goodreads page and, after reading the synopsis, now I remember why I thought I might be interested.

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
Anita M.

Number of posts : 6203

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:29 am

The author of the Eln Creek Quilts books gets my goat! I have gottern to the pointy that I cannot read her books. I HATE her writing style! Cqan't remember her name for the life of me.
Back to top Go down
Marian

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:10 pm

Anita, it's Jennifer Chiaverini, not sure if I spelled that right. I haven't been able to read any more of her books either, haven't for quite a while. Don't like the way she changes everything around, hard to keep up with.

Marian in Ohio
Back to top Go down
Anita M.

Number of posts : 6203

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:20 pm

She likes to tell the same story from different viewpoints. Like she does not have any new ideas. And the book that was written 20 years in the future, about a wedding g of a girl who was born a book or so before - Aaaaarrrghh!
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:15 pm

I got sick of her too for the same reasons and also because her continuity sucks, with all her jumping around she changes stuff and I think "Nah, that wasnt what happened" I stopped reading her yrs ago

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:36 pm

Ditto Gimpy!

Marian in Ohio
Back to top Go down
slumbersoft

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:47 pm

I only read one of her books and didn't like it. The main character was getting a divorce and the husband was stalking her, not a fun quilting book at all. So, no more for me.

I have finished The Light Between Oceans and it was not as bad as I thought it would be but it was pretty distressing to read. I cried during the last few chapters and it was still very sad. So, make up your own mind, but read the blurbs before you get it so you are prepared.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:43 pm

Some books and movies I really question just why they need to be written/made. The world has enough misery and drama in it, why indulge in more? I dont read those kinda stories or watch those kinda movies

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:23 am

Me either. I have 4 dear friends who read a lot & watch a lot of movies. They know me well & are my filter - they'll tell me if it's something I shouldn't read or watch because I'm too sensitive.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:26 pm

Its not that it upsets me, its just that I think life is too short to waste any of my precious time on the concept of misery being entetainment, nope, not getting any of my time!

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:03 pm

A previously unpublished book by Harper Lee will be available this summer. I loved to kill a mockingbird, anxious to read the new one
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Today at 4:39 pm

Back to top Go down

Book I'm Reading
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next