The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Book I'm Reading

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
quiltermarynel

Number of posts : 11557
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:19 am

I want to read that too.
Back to top Go down
iambuzzysma

Number of posts : 1969
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:28 am

Just finished "The Winter Sea" by Di Morrissey. A light read, but I like those once in a while. She's an Aussie writer- do you gals know of her?
Back to top Go down
slumbersoft

Number of posts : 2115
Registration date : 2011-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:24 pm

I don't know if I mentioned these before, but I just finished #3 in a mystery series set in the Mississippi Delta. They are pretty fun and I started them because I spent a lot of time not too far from there growing up. It is about a young woman unmarried and trying to hold on to the family home and land. The house is haunted by her g-g-grandmother's maid who is really funny and always telling the woman to get married and have children so the line won't die out and she (the ghost) will have a place to live (haunt). She accidently becomes an investigator to earn some money. Read the first one first, Them Bones. Let me know what you think.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 20315
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:09 pm

Sounds interesting Bobbie, I might look them up at hte library. Im half way through a JD Robb book, Naked In Death, its just so, so, nothing special

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:38 am

I'm going to try that one, Bobbie - sounds fun. Our library has on CD.
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

Number of posts : 2275

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:49 am

Helen, I Love (with a capital L) the JD Robb books.  I've read them for years. I started the series somewhere in the teens, and have just gone back and finally begun at book 1 (Naked in Death).

In a much later book, one of the regulars was in a dangerous and very tense situation. I actually put the book down for a day or so because I was afraid that the character would be caught and/or killed. That's when I realized that I can really become emotionally invested in fictional characters.

This is a series that I have read exclusively on audio and I don't think that I would enjoy the written word  nearly as much as I do the audio. The same reader does the entire series, so the voices and intonations are consistent throughout.

(clicky, clicky!) FiberBabble's Blog
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:32 pm

Buzzysma, that author Di Morrisey is very popular here in Australia, my mum reads all her books and she seems to have a lot of stories. Fiona McCallum is another very popular one as is Fiona McIntosh, all ones I know I have to pick up regularly for mum at the library. Love your avatar, its beautiful.

FiberBabble Im still reading the book, its ok, hasnt totally zinged me but with someone new and a book thats 'older' I give it a generous amount of leeway, will most likely get the second book in the series, Naked In Death is what Im reading at the moment, Norah Roberts, thats who JD Robb is, isnt it? I know its someone, just cant think who off the top of my "Im so tired in the morning" head!

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:56 am

Yes, it's Nora Roberts. I went and checked my Goodreads page and have found that I've read 22 of the In Death books. It looks like #41 is due to be published this year.

I knew I'd read a lot of them, but I was surprised a how many! Shocked I guess that it's a good thing Roberts is SUCH a prolific writer!!

I finished #2, Glory In Death, just before my player died.

I am not happy about a dead player... I really don't want to have to purcha$e another one right now and there's only one kind out there that plays a particular type of audio file provided by my library. Sooooo, if I don't get a new player, I'm sunk. angry

Back to top Go down
memaw4

Number of posts : 9462

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:22 am

Nora Roberts is a wonderful author.  Seems I've read some of her JD Robb books, but can't think right off hand.  I may have her mixed up with another author with a name similar to that.  I'll have to check out one of the books to see.
Back to top Go down
Gwennie M

Number of posts : 1909
Registration date : 2008-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:47 am

I love Goodreads! Great for keeping all my reads straight and I like the lists and recommendations.
I am reading Life after Life by Kate Atkinson. It is somewhat dark but good.
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:27 am

Gwennie M wrote:
I love Goodreads!  Great for keeping all my reads straight and I like the lists and recommendations.
I am reading Life after Life by Kate Atkinson.  It is somewhat dark but good.

I'm reading a Kate Atkinson book, too, "Case Histories". It started off VERY strange and dark, and after a couple of chapters I went over to Goodreads to figure out why I'd put this on my library wish list. I've gotten past the weird part now (which is supposed to tie in to the rest of the book), so now we'll see how it goes...
scratch

Back to top Go down
Gwennie M

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:01 pm

I was going to put that on my to read list. I have read a ton of books due to this harsh winter... it has been nice.
Back to top Go down
slumbersoft

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:59 am

I've gone to Goodreads to look up books but I don't know about lists and things. My DD mentioned it and I asked if our lists are open to the public and she didn't know. Maybe one of you can fill me in.

I am reading The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon, it is an off shoot of the Outlander series. I was told to read it before I went on to Echo in the Bone and I really am enjoying it. It is about Lord John Grey and Jamie on a mission in Ireland.
Back to top Go down
memaw4

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:16 pm

Tracy,  I went back and checked on the JD Robb books and yes, I had started reading that series.  I went on line and wrote them all down in order and found where I had left off and then went into the Library on line and put them on my list.  I'll start ordering them soon to listen too.  As soon as I read the name Dallas I knew it was the right author.  I just wasn't sure if I had read that author or not.
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:54 am

slumbersoft wrote:
I've gone to Goodreads to look up books but I don't know about lists and things. My DD mentioned it and I asked if our lists are open to the public and she didn't know. Maybe one of you can fill me in.

You can set who can look at your profile (and books) when you "edit profile", using the little arrow that's next to your avatar in the upper right corner of the screen. Take a look at my 'home' page here: Tracy's Goodreads Page

You can change who can comment or recommend books to you, who can see where you live, who is allowed to send you emails, and more in the settings tab when you're editing your profile.

Goodreads is an extremely useful tool for me... helps me remember what I've read! I have my reviews to go back and look at to remind me what I did or didn't like about a book so I know whether I want to get that author or narrator again.

Back to top Go down
slumbersoft

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:06 pm

Thanks, Tracy. How long ago did you start and did you go back and fill in things you had already read? Is there a way to search to see if you read something before? Right now I have a book(s) that I keep a running list of the books I've read.
Back to top Go down
FiberBabble

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:38 am

slumbersoft wrote:
Thanks, Tracy. How long ago did you start and did you go back and fill in things you had already read? Is there a way to search to see if you read something before? Right now I have a book(s) that I keep a running list of the books I've read.

I've had a Goodreads account since 2007 Shocked

Yes, I put in some of the books I'd already read, though it was by no means an exhaustive list. And yes, searching to see if I've read something before is a big part of the way I use the service. If I'm at a library (who all seem to have wi-fi these days) and see a new J.D. Robb book on the shelf, I can call up my Goodreads list to see if I've read it already. Or if I read a familiar author's book jacket that sounds interesting, I can read my reviews on other works by the same author to remember if I liked their writing style or if it made me crazy. I have a virtual shelf labelled "abandoned", where I write reviews to remind myself why I dumped a book. Currently there are 94 books on my "abandoned" shelf, and it's not up-to-date. Life's too short, etc., etc.

I also use Goodreads to look for other books in a series and to determine the order to read them in. The reviews help, too, most of the time, though I admit I get frustrated with the people who are still leaving reviews using the same template they did in middle school and those who don't understand what a spoiler is... The reviews are most helpful when I'm considering a new author or a new series by an author I've already read.
angry

I don't see a huge benefit from having a lot of 'friends' there. It's not bad at all, but mostly it's for "mind trinkets" - seeing what other people are reading. If you have 'friends' there that actually review books and they're the type of book you generally like, it's helpful when looking for new authors and more things to read.

Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:58 pm

Im just fnishing Selene by Lilith Saintcrow then I have a few others to decide which is next

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:49 pm

Thanks for all the information.

One site that I really like is Fantastic Fiction. It gives a list of an author's books and in the order of copyright or by series if they are a series. That is very helpful. It sounds like Goodreads does that also.
Back to top Go down
Gwennie M

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:45 pm

I agree with all Tracy has said, Goodreads is a great tool for me as well. I just got to the library today, came home with a stack to read. Now if only I could get the people in this house to be quiet and stop expecting dinner, clean clothes and homework help....
Back to top Go down
Gwennie M

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:02 pm

Now reading Hollow City, the second Miss Peregrine's book by Ransom Riggs. YA but still interesting...
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:36 pm

Im reading Archangels Shadows by Nalini Singh, its the latest in a series

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:16 pm

Last week I read The The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, The Impossible Lives of Greta Wells, and Starcrossed. I liked all three of them and found myself looking for opportunities to read (rather than just picking them up when I was bored).

I'm currently back to a J.D. Robb book, #3 I think, Immortal in Death.

Back to top Go down
iambuzzysma

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:25 pm

I just finished "The Girl On the Train" by Paula Hawkins. Page turner - good read!
Back to top Go down
memaw4

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:01 pm

"A Deadly Business"  by Lis Wiehl.     I'm just starting it.

I've put off reading this until after I get my eyes tested.  cry2  But this will give me time to finish up a few things......

Last edited by memaw4 on Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : updating....)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Book I'm Reading   Today at 5:19 am

Back to top Go down

Book I'm Reading
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next