The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wishing you all a Happy and Peaceful Holiday Season

Share | 

Prayer Quilts

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Anita M.

Number of posts : 6321
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Prayer Quilts   Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:07 am

I am trying to start a prayer quilt ministy at my chuirch. I know otyher memebers are doing or have done this. Would you please tyell me how your church does it? What size, tied with prayers or quilted?> Thanks for the info! 

placard
Back to top Go down
sewn3w

Number of posts : 5031
Registration date : 2012-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Prayer Quilts   Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:01 am

Anita
I have a great explanation typed out at home, but won't be there this evening. Going direct from work to a seminar, then tomorrow preparing for vacation. So I can get it for you but might be a while. if I forget and a week or 2 goes by, please remind me? At least it's what we do at my church. there are a lot of options!
Bless you for caring about others!!
Back to top Go down
Anita M.

PostSubject: Re: Prayer Quilts   Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:43 am

Thanks, Sewn, you were the first person I thought of but I think maybe TMM has some experience too. An ad looking for participants is going in the bulletin in a couple weeks looking for interest...
Back to top Go down
sewn3w

PostSubject: Re: Prayer Quilts   Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:10 pm

I am interested in TMM's experiences too.
Back to top Go down
sewn3w

PostSubject: Re: Prayer Quilts   Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:22 pm

Anita this is cut and paste from another forum i belong to.  I hope it gives you some ideas to start with.  Ours are lap sized, not quilted but tied.

My church has a prayer ministry.  We make small lap sized quilts, but we don't quilt them. After the quilt is bound we insert the threads/yarn to tie and leave them long. Then put them in the front of the church. People come up before or after service and tie a knot and pray for the recipient.  We attach a label on the back something like this

"Your Friends at _________ Church are praying for you"
Date:_________________
"This quilt was made for:_______________"

There is a, well maybe several associations, some on line that a church  can join to promote this ministry locally. My church doesn't  belong, only because we are so small we concentrate on the ministry rather than belonging and keeping up with the latest doings of a group.  Gotta do our best at prioritizing resources.   :)  A women's organization in the church has taken on the cost of batting and backing.  We purchase in bolts and store in the basement.  We also take contributions of fabric, usually from estates of deceased quilters and keep them in clear tubs to piece the tops.

Answer to how many ties we incorporate:
it depends on the size but somewhere between 20-35 usually go on a quilt.  And we leave a few untied when the quilt goes to the person.  That way a friend / family member can contribute to the prayers.
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

Number of posts : 11563

PostSubject: Re: Prayer Quilts   Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:31 pm

Sounds like a fine idea to me. Locally, this function is carried on by my guild. In a small town with many places of worship, we try to cover everyone.
Back to top Go down
texasmusicmom

Number of posts : 6797
Registration date : 2008-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Prayer Quilts   Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:59 pm

Yes my church in Houston has a thriving quilt ministry.  Ours are really "flimsies"....they are  nine square....30 by 30 finished.  Center square often has cross or scripture or something similar drawn or machine embroidered on it.  There are a couple of ladies who have embroidery machines that do center squares.   During bible school, they have the children each decorate a center square with drawings of crosses or butterflies or encouraging words.  The quilts are just the tops with backings...no batting.  Some are pillowcase style, some have mitered backing that is larger than the top and folds over...does that make sense?  The finished quilts are then prayed over by the entire group during meetings.  I think they meet twice a month and make quilts.  I was never able to attend meetings as they were on the days I taught preschool. People who don't sew come and cut out squares or backing. They meet most of the day including lunch. They create "kits" which are the squares and backing bundled together.  Kits are left in a certain spot outside our sanctuary.  People who want to help make them but who work or cannot attend the meetins can pick up the kits, construct the quilts and return them to the finished box in the same spot. The kits usually have two sets of four squares from the same fabric and a contrasting special center square and the backing. They are usually quilted just along the ditch of the nine squares and sometimes around the edge/border.

The quilts are sent free of charge to anyone who requests one...either for themselves or a friend or family member.  You do not have to be a member to recieve or request a quilt. They are sent overseas as well.  The congregation donates postage money and fabric or money for fabric. There's a short explanation that is sent with the quilt...I can get a copy of that if you'd like. We make special patriotic ones for servicemen and women and children's quilts as well.

I like the idea of the ties.....I have done that with some other projects.  I think they did that for service members with special quilts made by the ministry, but it's not done routinely.  This is a large church...over 3000 members.
Back to top Go down
Anita M.

PostSubject: Re: Prayer Quilts   Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:06 pm

Thanks! Thought I remembered something about kits.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prayer Quilts   Today at 11:06 am

Back to top Go down

Prayer Quilts
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1