The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wishing you all a Happy and Peaceful Holiday Season

Share | 

Knitting help/advice needed

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 20322
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Knitting help/advice needed   Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:33 pm

I cant knit to save myself, many yrs ago, 28 to be exact, I did give it a go. , Sadly its a memory that has been lost to me, I know I made the little baby sweater but I have no recollection at all of making it or any memories surrounding the making of it. I know I did it all myself with no help, Ive been told, being me apparently I figured it couldn't be all that hard so bought wool, needles and pattern and got to it. Apparently I was also making a fair isle cardigan and doing a good job, I dont recall it and wonder what happened to it but I guess its one of those cases of not being any the wiser about advanced and beginner so I guess I wasnt pre-conditioned! Being poisoned wiped many memories from me, anyway, that's all beside the point and I'm rambling. The point is this, is this fixable and if so, how do I fix it?

This is the little sweater I made Luke (yes I know its wrong on the top right hand shoulder LOL)

This is where its come apart, where the button holes were

I suspect the odd shaped buttons didnt help

It doesn't have to look perfect, god only knows the sweater isnt very good but its got sentimental value, I kept it all these years, 16yrs after Luke wore it, Laura wore it, for someone who never wanted any kids, who'd have thought Id knit any baby item let alone have two children to wear it. After Laura, Gerald the Giraffe, Laura's best friend has worn it for years, it was Laura's little fingers earnestly dressing and undressing Gerald that encouraged this section to fall apart. I don't mind, at least it was well loved.

Gerald was a pretty active guy so between the 3 of the the sweater has had a hard life but I dont want to part with it

So, can I somehow mend it? Carefully weave it or something to keep it together, just enough to keep it safe? What do I do? All help and advice appreciated

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Knitting help/advice needed   Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:21 am

Hi Helen

It's pretty badly damaged. I suppose if you somehow still had some of the yarn left or managed to find a close match you could try to darn it. The best fix would be to unravel the sweater past the damaged part and reknit it.

Jenn
Back to top Go down
quiltermarynel

Number of posts : 11559

PostSubject: Re: Knitting help/advice needed   Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:12 pm

It is certainly entirely fixable. I have done this.

Use yarn that is a close a match as you can find. Where there are loose loops, anchor them with safety pins so that they don't ravel before you get to them. Look at the way each loop winds around the others. Use a tapestry needle and begin in the least damaged area. Leave a long "tail' to tie off later. Overlap a good area for a stitch or so, to anchor it. Continue up and around and back as the original stitch went. Where there is nothing to go up around, use a knitting needle, crochet hook, or some such to go around. Be sure to keep track of whether the bump of each stitch goes on the front or back (knit or purl) When you reach good stitches, anchor by shadowing that good one, go up a level and go back the other way. When you reach the place where you started, tie off that tail and go up to the next row. Keep on going, anchoring the unconnected parts.

It is also possible to undo the stitches enough so that you can tie your new yarn directly to the old and not overlap. This is better looking but much trickier,

I would do the buttonhole area first because it is the least damaged.

If all of this sounds too difficult, mail it to me and I will do the job. Spinning, weaving and knitting were my 'thing' before my new neighbor informed me that I was a quilter. Yes, I made vast number of sweaters, including Fair Isle type.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 20322
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Knitting help/advice needed   Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:07 pm

Thank you both for your advice and help, its very very much appreciated. Im sure I could find a yarn in a similar colour, I had thought of using an embroidery thread to try and weave the loose stitches together and stabalise it. Im not sure I understood everything you said Marynel but I will keep reading it and see if I can work it out, not being a knitter or weaver leaves me behind the 8 ball to start with. I appreciate your kind offer to repair it, I dont need it to look or be perfect, I just want to save it so the damage doesnt go any further

Number of posts : 3403

PostSubject: Re: Knitting help/advice needed   Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:33 am

I like the tapestry needle idea. Knitting is essentially a chain stitch and if you can do embroidery, then you can recreate those stitches. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Knitting help/advice needed   Today at 3:15 am

Back to top Go down

Knitting help/advice needed
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1