The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Asking a quilter to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage

Share | 

Medallion Quilt Along

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Medallion Quilt Along   Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:59 am

I found this Medallion Quilt Along while looking for something else. It looked like fun!
http://bloominworkshop.wordpress.com/medallion-quilt-along/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Medallion Quilt Along   Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:00 am

Ann...I am imagining that quilt in lots of shades of blue.......my fav colour, I think it will look great.

Polly
Back to top Go down
Linda 2B

Number of posts : 3328
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Medallion Quilt Along   Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:19 am

Annie,
Thanks for the site! I think I may give this a try!
Looks like fun! I'll start after the new year and see
if I can catch up!
Polly like the blue idea. Think I'll go blue and green, or aqua and brown.
Haven't made one with those colors in a while!
Hopefully I can use fabric from my stash.
Don't want to to buy any new fabric until I use some of what I have. lmao lol! lmao
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Medallion Quilt Along   Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:47 pm

I thought maybe I'd use my scrap bag and make this real scrappy? The center square is a finished 12". Each border is only 2-3" wide so it would use small pieces. I dunno? I guess once I get my scrap bag out I'll see if I want to pull bits from my stash as well? It looks kind of fun..and different? I think I'll start by looking at www.quilterscache.com for my center block..but this would be a great place to use an orphan block too. I thought if I chose a center block that could be made real scrappy I could pull the rest of the colors from it to make the borders?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Medallion Quilt Along   Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:51 pm

Ann... I am such a colour freak I find scrappy really hard. But I think I have enough blues to do a scrappy blue

Polly
Back to top Go down
golo

Number of posts : 13223
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Medallion Quilt Along   Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:11 pm

Good luck doing it gals.. I will be looking forward to your pictures... Thumbup

Golo

Dreams are wishes the heart makes... I dream of lots of quilting
Back to top Go down
QBee - Mary Ann

Number of posts : 4205

PostSubject: Re: Medallion Quilt Along   Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:38 pm

That is a fascinating quilt. I love the colorways you're talking about and will be looking forward to the results. However, I know I won't live long enough to look at that kind of piecing and say it looks like fun! :lol:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Medallion Quilt Along   Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:47 pm

The nice thing about a medallion is you can stop any time. It can be anything from a table topper to a bed size..or anything in between. You can join the Flickr group for this project if you'd like to see the fabrics others are using. The flickr group is mostly just photos but you can post questions or comments too. Most people don't check in real often so if you post a question you may have to wait for a response. They don't email you..you just go to the site if you feel like it. Just bookmark it and check in when you want. Very low-key. One gal is doing hers in feed sack prints. Her center block is a cute polka dot cow. I really like that version too!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Medallion Quilt Along   Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:23 pm

Ann, I saw your medallion on your photo site and it is beautiful, the colours look really cheery. I really want to do this one but it wont be until the new year. I was going to do it in all blues but after seeing yours now i want to make mine in bright summer colours. Is it easy to do?

Polly
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Medallion Quilt Along   Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:53 am

Polly..this is such a fun project! The gal that started it has tutorials on how to do each border with pics. There's another gal doing it too, and she changed a couple of the borders to be more like the original antique quilt. She also has tutorials posted. I haven't had this much fun with a project in a long time! It's fun to see the quilt grow with each border. lovehearts If you join the Flickr group..you can see the colors that others are using. They're all different. Joining the group just means you can peek into the photos and post some of your own. That's it. No emails or spam. There's a place you can ask questions or post a comment if you want to though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Medallion Quilt Along   Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:06 am

Ann I had a browse and still think yours is the best. I will put the tutorials in favs for when I get to make it. I am being good and not starting anything till i have ticked off some of my UFO's winking
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts : 9483

PostSubject: Re: Medallion Quilt Along   Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:58 am

I went and peeked to Ann. That looks really neat. It is amazing how a border changes the whole look of a quilt. Looking good Thumbup

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Medallion Quilt Along   Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:24 pm

Thanks for the kind words! :D I'm trying to get caught up before Thanksgiving because I sew at the dining room table. I need to get that room cleared out and dusted..and a nicely pressed table cloth on before then. I don't want those guys to use my fat quarters for dinner napkins! LOL :affraid:
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts : 9483

PostSubject: Re: Medallion Quilt Along   Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:49 pm

AnnieOakLeaf wrote:
I don't want those guys to use my fat quarters for dinner napkins! LOL :affraid:

lol! I can see you chasing them with that rotary cutter now! Knuppel

Always in a Texas state of mind.
http://s1309.beta.photobucket.com/user/TxQuilter59/library/#/user/TxQuilter59/library/?&_suid=136183123861005557608880981697
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Medallion Quilt Along   Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:41 pm

Ann, I certainly like how you are doing yours... you put alot of thought into those corner squares... and Your center block is absolutely lovely...

Golo

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Medallion Quilt Along   Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:38 pm

Thank you! I think the hardest part of this one was choosing a center block. LOL I wanted to get all of the colors I planned for the rest of the quilt packed in there.
Back to top Go down
Linda 2B

Number of posts : 3328

PostSubject: Re: Medallion Quilt Along   Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:31 am

Ann,
I've been trying to pick a center block, as well. One that can hold as many colors as possible. I'm down to 4 blocks. I want this quilt to be very scrappy but want to showcase all the fabrics in the center. You are right about picking the center block, it is the hardest! I have to pick soon because I don't want to get to far behind. I looked at your pics they are lovely. I like your center. Hope to post a pic of my center soon!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Medallion Quilt Along   Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:03 pm

I considered a Mariner's compass..but then as I was flipping through the pages in a book I ran across the block I used. It was the right size and had enough pieces to squeeze all my colors in. LOL Picking the center block truly is the hardest part!
Back to top Go down
golo

PostSubject: Re: Medallion Quilt Along   Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:44 pm

How many different fabrics are you using in this pattern... they sure blend nicely...

Golo

Back to top Go down
Cottonpicker

Number of posts : 206

PostSubject: Re: Medallion Quilt Along   Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:49 pm

Ann, yours is the most attractive one there. I liked the spotted cow and the other flower applique center too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Medallion Quilt Along   Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:33 pm

I'm using coral, deep red, dusty aqua, cheddar gold, pea green, and burgundy..along with various creams/neutrals. I'm doing it scrappy, using as many fabrics that fit into those colors as I can. I think it makes it more interesting? I'm doing it the way they did in antique quilts..if I run out of one fabric in a certain color I just grab another that's similar..and so on. My reds range from dark salmon to almost burgundy. It makes it more fun to piece and adds a bit of interest to the finished quilt. IMO I'd actually like to make another of these and use all Civil War repro..but make it a wall quilt around 52-54" square. I think I'd like it done in 30's too? Usually if I make a quilt I have that pattern out of my system and don't want to make another like it, but with medallions you can change one round of piecing and it not only looks different..but you have the fun of playing with that border and seeing how it looks with the others. You get to make decisions as you go and build from the center out. Fun!
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 19924

PostSubject: Re: Medallion Quilt Along   Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:27 pm

Oh Ann, as usual - its just stunning! You have such a wonderful eye for colour and placement, you really are a talented quilter. Yours has so much life and intensity, its beautiful. Congrats on a project that is coming along so beautifully

PostSubject: Re: Medallion Quilt Along   Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:15 am

Thank you! I should have the next round finished today. I'm 3/4 done with the piecing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Medallion Quilt Along   Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:52 pm

Ann......its grown since I last took a peek, a day ago! and its looking even more stunning. I cant wait till its finished. Is it wall hanging size or bed quilt size?

Polly
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Medallion Quilt Along   Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:07 am

I think I'm going to make this one a bed sized, but I just might make a wall hanging one in different colors. I'll be adding another border this afternoon. I have most of the piecing done. It sure is an easy round this time!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Medallion Quilt Along   Today at 12:50 am

Back to top Go down

Medallion Quilt Along
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next