The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Join the Ugly Sweater swap, sign up closes this Friday. Don't miss out, clicky clicky HERE to be part of the fun!!

Share | 

Painting inside kitchen cupboards

Go down 
AuthorMessage
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts : 11651
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Painting inside kitchen cupboards   Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:44 pm

Have any of you ever painted inside your kitchen cabinets? What finish of paint did you use. Flat, satin, gloss?Years ago I remember painting some shelves and everything kept sticking to the paint and pulling it off. No idea what kind of paint it was, just don't want it to happen now.

I researched on line and OMG some of the things people were saying and doing just seemed so overboard and time consuming. I don't feel that it should be that difficult. I am thinking empty-wash-let dry till next day- paint- let dry till next day-paint again- let dry till next day-put everything back. I am hoping a really good quality primer/paint combo might eliminate the second round of paint and let dry. I have quite a few cupboards but due to lack of space to put things I can probably only do one at a time so want it done as easily as possible. Appreciate any advice y'all have.

Always in a Texas state of mind.
Back to top Go down
Anita M.

Number of posts : 7340

PostSubject: Re: Painting inside kitchen cupboards   Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:54 pm

No personal experience, but I would suggest using contact paper. They have all KI DS of designs and used to have clear. Seems like it might be easier than paintomg.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 23425
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Painting inside kitchen cupboards   Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:23 pm

If you could use contact paper on the shelves it might be easier. If it were me, I was only just discussing paint actually its a topic that is ticking me off, anyway, inside cupboards Id go with high gloss enamel. Easy to wipe clean and should dry hard as nails but it will take longer to dry and dont get caught up with the water based enamel - its crap in my personal experience. the old fashioned oil based you have to clean up with mineral turpentine sets the hardest and strongest.

Number of posts : 4120

PostSubject: Re: Painting inside kitchen cupboards   Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:08 pm

TxM last time I painted cupboards I used high gloss enamel and then put in contact paper. You may not need the contact paper but I didn't want to take the chance of it staining or coming up if say a glass was still a little wet when it got put up. Gimpy is right about dry time. No mater what you use you want it good and dry! Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
Jill

Number of posts : 5186
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: Painting inside kitchen cupboards   Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:32 pm

Ditto on the plenty of time to dry comments. I did a kitchen once upon a time, but it was so long ago that I don't remember the method or type of paint. My FIL owned a paint store, so we usually just told him our plans and he supplied the paint. Last year my handyman painted the shelves in my laundry room, and I'm pretty sure it was the high gloss enamel. I can't stress enough how long it takes to dry thoroughly. Good luck and have fun! I'd like to paint the shelves in the playroom, but don't know whether to take on such a big job or not. I have lots of shelves, a window seat, then 12 cabinets on the bottom level.

Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Painting inside kitchen cupboards   Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:40 pm

Also, paint in the summer if you can, the dry hot weather is better for getting a proper dry paint finish than cold weather

Number of posts : 6693
Registration date : 2012-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Painting inside kitchen cupboards   Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:50 am

I support  the  high gloss enamel  also. But I nix the  contact. I used to depend on it in cupboards. Now I buy those cheap plastic  place mats at the  dollar  store  or walmart. Sometimes  you  can  get them for 88cents! I cut them to fit in cupboards  and refrigerator. Easier to pull out and clean and last much longer.
Back to top Go down
memaw4

Number of posts : 10488

PostSubject: Re: Painting inside kitchen cupboards   Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:15 am

The only problem with contact paper is if you ever want to change it, it will take OFF your paint along with it when its removed.  I agree with Sewn, use shelf lining.  Its cheaper and you can just wash it.  I did paint the inside of my cupboards and I did use a high gloss paint during the summer.  I apparently didn't let it dry long enough because it has the streaks where I pull my plates in and out.  Will I repaint?   Very doubtful.  I'll use liner.   Much easier..... lmao
Back to top Go down
TxMaryQuilts

Number of posts : 11651

PostSubject: Re: Painting inside kitchen cupboards   Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:53 am

Thanks everyone. Looks like this will be more involved than I thought. Contact paper is out. I'd never get it perfectly flat and wrinkles would make me tear it back out. I was thinking the rubbery cushioned kind of shelf liner. It is washable. Maybe I'll just do the sides and put down the shelf liner. Then I won't have to worry as much about it mucking up.

The cabinets used to have a medium oak finish and when we re-did the kitchen I had them re-faced and finished them in a white wash. Every time I open them there's a dark hole. I just want to brighten them up some.

Always in a Texas state of mind.
Back to top Go down
Gimpy Cat
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Painting inside kitchen cupboards   Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:50 pm

I hope you find a somewhat easy solution, you could even buy cheap vinyl table cloths, the type with the felty backing and cut them to fit, easy clean and easy to cut to size. Im fortunate, while my cupboard doors are trashed, the old bloke who owned the place made them from pine panelling boards, the inside carcass is ok and the shelves are all white melamine - so easy to live with, clean and bright

PostSubject: Re: Painting inside kitchen cupboards   

Back to top Go down

Painting inside kitchen cupboards
Page 1 of 1