The Quilter's Last Resort
The Quilter's Last Resort

The LAST place you'll have to find when looking for quilting companions.

HomeHome  Quilters ResortQuilters Resort  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

MODA Blockheads free BOM

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Gimpy Cat
Admin

Number of posts : 23783
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: MODA Blockheads free BOM   Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:37 pm

I got an email this morning from Bear Creek Quilting Company and thought I should share it here in case someone is interested, looks like an achievable project  Very Happy

Here is a link to the page on their website, the email contents are below

Bear Creek Quilting Company

Moda Blockheads 2018
Subscribe to our newsletter  to receive upcoming announcements.  

WELCOME!!!!  Let's get started...

Welcome to Moda 2018 Blockheads #2 - A FREE Block of the Week Program!  You can find Moda 2017 Blockheads #1 HERE.

Come quilt-along with Moda designers: Lynne Hagmeier, Betsy Chutchian, Jan Patek, Jo Morton, Lisa Bongean, Carrie Nelson and a few mystery guest appearances.  13 designers total!

Details:  
Beginning June 6th, 2018, each designer will rotate through the weeks bringing you a new FREE Blockhead pattern of the week.  

Number of weeks/number of blocks:  Begins June 6th, 2018 and runs until April 17th, 2019.  Estimates look like about 46 blocks, based on the proposed schedule.

Yardage requirements:  Here is what the Moda designers are saying...."Fabric Requirements:  This is where it gets a little less precise.  It all depends on whether you use a single background for all the blocks, mixed backgrounds – light or dark, or a variety of light, medium and dark fabrics for the “background” of some blocks.  So these estimates are rough.  Generous.  But rough.  The yardage calculations are also based on a “traditional approach” of an allover light or dark background with contrasting prints for the block parts."

One Background and Assorted Lights/Medium/Darks:
Assorted Lights/Mediums/Darks for blocks = 30 to 32 Fat Quarters or scraps to total approximately 8 yards
Background = 4 1/2 yards
Multiple Background and Assorted Lights/Mediums/Darks:
Assorted Lights/Mediums/Darks for blocks = 30 to 32 Fat Quarters or scraps to total approximately 8 yards
Assorted prints for Background = 18 to 20 Fat Quarters of scraps to total approximately 5 yards
A mix of Lights/Mediums/Darks:
Assorted Lights/Mediums/Darks for blocks and Background = 48 to 50 Fat Quarters or scraps to total approximately 13-14 yards

Setting ideas and instructions:  The Moda designers have a plan that they will be sharing at the end of the year.  A few parts can be moved around and of course, you do not have to follow their layout.  The layout will not need additional fabric for sashing, alternating squares, setting triangles, etc....unless you want to change the setting to make it your own.  They are not releasing the full reveal until the last block is published.  They will also have options for turning this "big" project into several smaller projects.  The

Block sizes:  6 inch blocks, 12 inch blocks, 18 inch block, and maybe other sizes mixed in.  6 inch finished blocks is the smallest, 18 inch will be the largest.  Finished quilt size will measures 72 inches by 78 inches.  You can create additional blocks or add borders to increase the size.

Block Patterns:  The link to each new block will be available on that week's Moda Designers blog.  Some of these designers will be blogging every week, others will only blog for their blocks.  We will posting the free block pattern download here for easy finding along with any updates we learn as the weeks go by.  (A few designer changes from last round; Lynn will not be providing a layered-piecing pattern for blocks and Betsy will not be providing a mini block version.)

Please Note:  We test our links very carefully after loading.  If you experience trouble downloading the block pattern, please try using a different browser than the one causing you problems or even a different computer.  Some devices are just crankier to use than others.

Basic Instructions:  Moda has provided a basic instruction sheet that can be downloaded HERE.

Friendly Reminder:  We can not post the block until the designer releases it on their blog each week (yes, posting is a manual process) AND we are in the Pacific Time Zone, so if you are following along with us, please be patient on Wednesday mornings.  We will post it as soon as we arrive to the shop and we will post a "New Block" reminder in our Thursday email.

To follow the Moda designers blog's directly; clink on the their name link:  Betsy Chutchian, Brigitte Heitland, Carrie Nelson, Corey Yoder, Jan Patek, Jo Morton, Laurie Simpson, Lisa Bongean, Lynne Hagmeier, Barbara & Mary, Sherri McConnell, Stacy Iest Hsu, and Vanessa Goetzen.

Don't miss a week!  Subscribe to our newsletter to be notified of each week's new block postings!

Number of posts : 11818
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: MODA Blockheads free BOM   Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:06 pm

I actually really liked the 2017 finished version that they showed (I am not generally a sampler type gal). The Irish chain type setting was really nice. This should be interesting with the different size blocks they are doing. Geez I wish I wasn't babysitting so I could keep up with a project like this. Would be something different and challenging.

Always in a Texas state of mind.
Back to top Go down
hummerlou

Number of posts : 4015
Registration date : 2008-09-02

PostSubject: Re: MODA Blockheads free BOM   Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:58 pm

I like these kind of patterns. I will download and then work on them when I can.

I'm doing the same thing with the TQS 2018 BOM. I've gotten a month behind, but plan on catching up with that one tomorrow.

Uh, TxMary, I don't think it helps not having a little one to look after. I get behind anyway. Sorry. hug08
Back to top Go down
memaw4

Number of posts : 10520
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: MODA Blockheads free BOM   Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:47 pm

The quilt is just gorgeous.  I'll need to think about this one.  I have so many I want to do....... Undesided
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MODA Blockheads free BOM   

Back to top Go down

MODA Blockheads free BOM
Page 1 of 1